“Nice resort but room needs renovations”

Novotel Phuket Resort
Ranked #10 of 334 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 27 April 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Emon2014
Write a ReviewReviews (3,144)

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I booked our holiday to Novotel as part of a deals.com special which came with additional things including daily breakfasts, 2 dinners, massages, nightly cocktails and airport pick-up. On arrival, we were impressed with the check-in procedure which was quick and easy. We were then taken to our room which had the most amazing view. We were located on the 4th floor on the end of the closest accommodation block to reception (500 block)... bonus no climbing up the hill and we had an elevator.
Room was on the small side but clean and adequate for our needs. Bed was extremely hard so we requested a soft topper which was done while we were out having happy hour drinks but unfortunately didn't make much of a difference to the softness of the bed. We enjoyed daily breakfast, enough variety for us but very busy and one morning we struggled to find a table and ended up next door in the Thai restaurant. Quality of buffet meals was quite good and we enjoyed a dinner at Ruen Thai which was also nice. Cocktails at Le Mirage were enjoyable but they tasted a bit the same, the girls in the Hourglass made a better cocktail.
Had a couple of massages but I found that even thought I said I did not want a firm massage, the staff did not really understand what I meant and therefore was not as enjoyable as it could have been. Foot Reflexology was very nice though and my tired feet enjoyed that.
We found that communication was not always the easiest. I think sometimes if staff did not understand your request, rather than do the wrong thing, they did nothing. We found this related more to ordering drinks/food around the pool and replacing housekeeping items (tea etc).
Booked a couple of tours and transport through the front desk which was fine, no issues. Perhaps a little more expensive than booking from one of the other numerous places around the streets but peace of mind going through the hotel and we booked everything to our room and just paid at the end.
Found the shuttle from the bottom to the top of the hill very handy and never waiting more than a couple of minutes. Security always gave us a smile and salute.
We did miss breakfast on the last day due to leaving so early and were supposed to be given a breakfast box but for some reason, they told us when leaving that there was no breakfast box so had to purchase breakfast at the airport and I was starving!
I'm not a very fit person and I have bad knees and I managed the stairs up and down to the pool and restaurants/bars ok. Pool is lovely by the way but get there early if you want a sun lounger (or do what we do and just keep an eye out for people leaving and then pounce!)
Overall, a great stay and we would come back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the 500 block (closest to reception and has an elevator). Sea view is amazing.
2  Thank Lisa H
Nico0013, Front Office Manager at Novotel Phuket Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Lisa H

Thank you very much for your time to write us a review.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Phuket Resort. It is always a pleasure to receive valuable feedback.

We will share your comments with our team. we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to serve you again in the next opportunity risen.

Mr. Apichet Maneesinn
Front Office Manager
Novotel Phuket Resort

Reviewed 26 April 2014

10 day stay at the resort was a great way o spend the time in Patong. The resort was clean, pool was nice and the staff couldn't do enough to please. Situated high on the hill at the northern end of the beach, a 10 minute walk of 200 baht tuk tuk into Bangla Road is very easy.

We had read reviews about the stairs and although there are a lot, access around the resort is easy. There is also a shuttle from the road to the reception runs on demand.

Food was pretty good, we ate in and out of the restaurant. The on site Thai and Old Fisherman's is nice and the nightly buffets are nice. All though some of the buffets are a little the same, the food was fresh, tasty and plentiful.

Staff from the hotel were very pleasant, accommodating and eager to please. On site massages are worth a visit. Check in and out was easy and the cold towels more than welcome.

A variety of couples, families of all ages makes the Novetel a great all rounder.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Banjo P
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The limo service is great. Room condition is good. It takes around 15-20 mins to reach to the city area and 30 mins to the center of the city. Good for travllers that look for some quietness from the crowd. It's located up hill, yet, the shuttle down the hill is great that we havent need to wait and take 1-2 mins to get down.

The pool is excellent with fantastic design. The poo is in 3 levels. The upper level is great for sunbathing with the best view overlooking the patong beach, and is obviously the level that have the most of sunlight, water level is not too high. Great for parents sunbathing while kids playing in the pool. The middle level is great for adults as water level is high (around 1.4m). The lower level comes with water sports like water polo, basketball and jacuzzi and with a super low level of water level which is great for kids below 3. As this level is located next to the pool bar, it comes with great music as well. And the pool staff is great, attentive and warm.

Yet, we often encountered issues with front office staff prior to our arrival and during out stay, especailly the overnight staff. Have tried to call to arranging car pick up before 1 week before arrival, given the flight details and arrial time and called again on the same day midnight to request a written confirmation on that. However, the overnight staff said we didn't reserve a car and no flight information given. I then explained to him we have actually called a few hours before for arranging that. After all those explainations (as he didnt understand what is limo) pick up, he still insist no car has been reserved. Since myself is working in the hotel front office, I have to guide him step by step how to retrieve the car and flight info from the system and he finally said, Oh! I got it. It is quiet disappointing as I expect this is a basic skills expect from a hotel staff and cant image how can he just saying "have not reserved" which turned out is him do not know how to opearte the system.

Also, we have extended our stay online by reserving an extra night. To avoid confusion, we tried to inform the front office right after we made the booking. Yet obviously, he has not idea what are we talking about as he did not understand the phrase "extended stay". SInce, it is in midnight, we try not to bother it and decided to speak by face to face the next day. The lady the other day do understand and achknowledge, but she obviously did not do anything about it as we received a bill requested us to settle the bill for the orgianlly scheduled check-out date. After calling and explain again, the other staff on duty finally understand.

Yet, I believe english issues is common throughout Thailand, so I beleive the above communication problems could happen everyways. Only think I beleive staff could be better trained in how to opeate the system.

In overall, given the pros and cons, I still think it worth the value of money as the facilites are great.

Travelled in April 2014 with partner.

1  Thank Fiona C
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We have just arrived home from a holiday of 12 days in this wonderful resort, and still coming down from our high. The courteous nature of all staff is a credit to their training by management which made for a great holiday. The ocean views are indeed very memorable, and the Resort its self would be an excellent choice for anyone planning a visit to Patong.

Room Tip: Level 3 or 4 with ocean views are ideal
2  Thank 41Barbara2014
Reviewed 25 April 2014

me and my wife stayed in this hotel for 4 nights as part of our honey moon in Thailand, we enjoy every hour in this hotel, helpful stuff, good restaurants and food, great location and wonderful view specially from our room veranda ...its 10 min walking from bangala road and jangcelone shopping center where is the bubbly night life....

Room Tip: good value , good location
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HamzaMograbi
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Pros:
Good location
Friendly staff
Clean hotel, not a 5 star but a good 4 star, main reception areas well kept
Fantastic view from our room over the bay
Good food and variety of restaurants
Pool temp really lovely every day
Good free transport up and down the hill
Lovely little beach across the road from the hotel
Far enough away from Patong to have the liveliness if you want to travel 5 mins up the road in a tuk tuk or keep it quiet and low key in the resort area and go to some bars/restaurants near there

Cons:
Beds very uncomfortable

Kids club very uninspiring, one very small room with a TV in and a few games and a little outdoor play park for under 5's. I only tried to use it once and was not that impressed...Kids club is for ages 5+, if you have a child under that age you have to pay for a babysitter to sit with them. My child is 4 and even though the only 2 kids in the kids club were mine, my other child is 7, the lady wanted me to get another person to look after the younger one! I spoke to the manager of the hotel and explained I was happy to pay but I thought it was a bit silly when she only had 1 other child to look after and he was playing wii, so hardly needed entertaining and he agreed, he sorted it out so I could go for a 30 mins massage. No set activities for kids to do as with other hotels kids clubs.

Some minor upkeep issues in the hotel ie. pool lights hanging off under the water in the kids paddling pools

I thought drinks were slightly expensive outside of happy hour...a Local beer ie tiger/singha worked out at about $5.50 and spirits/cocktails were even more

I paid extra for a ocean facing room and booked this hotel last April, when we arrived we had been delayed by over 1.5 hours so I was pretty peed off to find our hotel room still wasn't ready so we had to sit in reception for another 40 mins, not great with 2 small kids after a long flight. When they did take us to the room, the view was over the hill and if you cranked your neck far to the right at the end of the balcony you could see the ocean. I obviously refused the room and explained that charging extra for ocean facing should mean just that and was instantly given another room that offered just that...all resolved quickly and without issue but hassle you just don't want/expect.
I would expect a room to be ready when I arrive at a hotel, especially one I have had booked for a full 12 months.

Spa was ok, was hit and miss as to who you got on the day, some masseurs are better than others, there are plenty of other places locally that you can get a proper Thai massage for much, much cheaper than the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank YorkiePom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Novotel Phuket Vintage Park
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 334 in Patong
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket

Been to Novotel Phuket Resort? Share your experiences!