“Birthday treat”
Review of Amari Phuket

Amari Phuket
Ranked #2 of 333 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I'm not going to mess about with this review. We hate Patong and we hate phuket but we love Amari having been to emerald cove - ko Chang, pal reef samui and amari vogue krabi.

So being woefully disappointed with our hotel in Karon beach (see my other reviews) we headed to Amari for my birthdate dinner.

in short - lovely aesthetically delightful ambiance. Great happy hour drinks. Lovely Italian restaurant. This is where we should have stayed. Far enough from Patong to not be affected by the seedy side.

We only popped in for a few hours but I recommend this hotel over our one in Akron.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank jeoff42
Write a ReviewReviews (6,395)

Reviewed 21 February 2014

This was not our first visit to Phuket. The Resort is right to the Left of the busy Patong and exactly what we wished for. Right on the beech front, a bit rocky but good enough to take a swim during high-tide. A person can blissfully loose yourself in the views towards the ocean at the Pools. Reception and Concierge was very kind and helpful at all times. Amari arrange to take me to Jim Tompson on a private trip. Breakfast was a feast with food from around the world. I am a picky eater and I am in the industry. Room was good enough. Loved the TWG Tea. I even used the in-house Tailor for shirts with good results. I would recommend Amari to people that needs a rest and a break away from a busy everyday life. If you are in need of Patong shopping it is a Tuk-Tuk away or a stroll to Patong main beach from Amari. I am happy to have been curious enough to investigate where the road lead to away from Patong Main Beach. Amari fitted our needs like a glove.

Room Tip: All Amari rooms face the ocean our was close to the smaller pool and on the ocean front and we loved...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Elshita
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I am a frequent, discerning traveller and have stayed in top resorts all over the world. I am currently sitting on the balcony of the Amari Phuket listening to the gentle wash of the waves whilst writing this review.
This resort is built on a hill and as a consequence there are numerous steps between the lobby to the pool, room etc. If you have reduced mobility this may pose a problem.
The location is perfect. Situated at the extreme end of Patong bay it is quiet, peaceful and restful yet the bedlam and debauchery of Bangla Road is only a few minutes stroll or Tuk Tuk ride away.
On arrival at the hotel we were given cold cloths and iced tea whilst our cases were whisked to our room. We were given a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room.
This resort has recently undergone a major refurb and the whole resort looks modern, stylish and immaculate. When you leave the massive main lobby and step down to the spectacular lobby bar with views out to Patong bay you cannot help but say WOW!
The staff are polite, efficient and friendly and will cater to your every whim.
There is free WiFi throughout including all rooms.
The breakfast spread is superb catering to both eastern and western tastes.
We never ate in the evening here. Although the food was reasonably priced you can dine at the myriad of restaurants nearby at half the cost.
The most telling aspect of this resort is the amount of repeat guests we encountered. We met many people here who had been coming regularly for many years.
You will never please all of the people all of the time but anyone who finds fault with this establishment must live in a palace at home!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Norman C
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed here for 5 days & loved everything about it. It is only a 4 star resort but serves like a 5 star. I have just read the review below by the 2 Singapore ladies & disagree with everything they say - yes, when you arrive, the bags are put to 1 side outside but are then very quickly delivered to your room (perhaps the ladies should have left their bags where they had been put instead of taking them?).
We had a superior beach view room but thought it was very good - not large but had absolutely everything you could want - a huge comfortable bed - a compact bathroom (slightly quirky with a window into the bedroom!) but with a great use of space as it had a large walk in shower. We saw the deluxe/refurbished rooms which were slightly newer in decor but essentially the same size & layout. We were very happy with our room.
We used the gym every day. It was small but everything worked, the pools and outside areas are absolutely lovely & the breakfast was great. However it was the little attention to details that really impressed me. The sachets of washing detergent, shower caps, cotton tips & sewing kit in the bathroom. The mini bar stocked not only with drinks etc but useful items (mouthwash, condoms & mosquito spray). The slices of watermelon & cooled face clothst distributed freely to guests around the pool during the hot afternoon. The always polite staff who smile & say "hello" whenever you pass.
It is a generally older crowd here, not many families with children so perfect if you want somewhere quiet. I am not really a fan of Patong but I would definitely stay at the Amari again if I were coming back

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lisa K
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed here with my partner back before Christmas for 10 days and had a great time. The hotel looks stunning after a recent renovation and the view out over the bay was just fabulous! Everything is spotlessly clean and the attention to detail is really noticeable! We really were very impressed. We have been travelling to Thailand for the past 8-9 years and this hotel is definitely our favourite. The rooms were lovely and it's great that they all have a sea view. We went for the basic room (superior), which I was a bit concerned about as other people had advised to upgrade but the room we had was great. It had been recently been renovated so was really nice.
The staff were really friendly, we got to know a few of them and it was great to have a chat. My Partner did have a bad stomach whilst there (not from the hotel!), I think probably a few too many chillies and when he didn't come down to breakfast with me the staff all wanted to know where he was and they insisted on bring some breakfast to our room for him. Very sweet.
The pool areas are great, we also eat in the two of the restaurants which is something we don't normally do as prefer to go out but they were so nice we eat there a couple of times. I agree they are a bit expensive but that is the same in all hotels. The buffet nights they do were great and reasonable, Again we don't normally do the buffets but they were really good as well. Breakfast was great as well!
All in all a fantastic holiday, was easy enough to get into Patong for a night out and then great to retreat back to the hotel in the day to relax!
Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RICSGIRL
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We chose this resort thinking that everything will be top notch given the price and excellent reviews from the TA. Maybe because we are not of the so-called superior race or we only booked a superior room instead of a deluxe.

When we arrived at the resort in a tuk tuk, no one is at the concierge except for a security guard. This very kind guard helped us, two petite Asian girls, to bring our backpack down the vehicle. That's it, not even to the lobby, he just took our bags off the tuk tuk and left them right behind the tuk tuk, on the road. We were shocked, there is no respect for the guests' belonging. Though carrying luggage is not the job of a security guard, this is not the way to treat any hotel guests.

When we walked into the lobby, the scenery is breathtaking and the place looks magnificent. However, our check-in receptionist, a beautiful lady, is cold and insincere. She got another tiny lady to show us to our room, no one helped us with our bags yet, we are carrying our own bags, no introduction to the premise of the resort, just straight to the room and introduced us things in the room like the mini bar, complimentary water, bathroom, etc. and expecting a tips for these. What a joke.

In the room, we are looking for an international plug aka adaptor. We called the reception and they got some housekeeping guy to our room. This guy just stomped into our room, without greetings and with his shoes on. He is plain rude and told us off that the international plug is known as the adaptor.

The room is very small and with very poor finishing. Well, maybe like what the others have commented, get at least a deluxe room, ours is only a normal superior room.

The premise is serene and beautiful. We came to this resort to get away from the city life but the service staff left a bad taste. We regretted not staying put in the resort above the mega mall where we have stayed in for the past 3 nights before moving on to this high and mighty resort.

When we checked out, Ms Suwanna assisted us. She is very attentive and patient. When enquired for the usage of the changing room as we have checked out at noon but our flight is at night hence, we just stayed by the pool and like to change before departing to the airport, Ms Suwanna personally showed us the way to the changing room and seeing that there is no towel, she quickly brought two from another room for us.

While waiting for our cab at the lobby, my phone battery was flat, so I requested for somewhere to charge my phone, Ms Suwanna quickly showed me to a socket and found me an international plug too.

The entire bad experience was made up a little by Ms Suwanna. I still do not recommend this high and mighty resort to any Asian unless you want to be treated as second class guest. I will not return.

• Stayed: February 2014
7  Thank EazyS
AmariPhuket, General Manager at Amari Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

I would firstly like to apologise for the less than unsatisfactory experience you had on your recent stay with us.
Customer satisfaction is one of our utmost priorities at Amari Phuket and something we take great pride in working with team members to always strive to deliver the best experience possible to all our guests. As you rightly pointed out, we consistently receive excellent reviews from our guests on the service we provide, and so hearing about your experience comes as a shock to us, since this is not typical of the guest experience we pride ourselves in. To that end, we take your comments regarding the service you received very seriously and we will be working to addressing these issues.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies and please do let us know should we be fortunate enough to welcome you again, so that we can show you that the experience you received was not indicative of the service we pride ourselves in.

Yours sincerely,

Warakorn Jarusirikul

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Very attractive, modern hotel with an excellent position overlooking Patong Bay, but well away from its noisy 'charms'. Rooms are in banked blocks, each with its own balcony and sea view.

Ours was a single bedroomed 'apartment' with a comfortable king-sized bed and nice bathroom which included a spacious shower. Goodly amount of storage, safe, fridge etc. Complimentary bottled water. Good aircon and nightlight! Not great seats on balcony but good free WiFi.

Good idea -each room has large, solid pool bag to help cart all that paraphernalia about.

Two pools, both with bar service and access to small, private beach area. Ample sun beds even after breakfast (until 10am). Quiet all through the day with no piped music and few children (not really catered for specifucally)

Two restaurants - the Italian-styled Gritta is beautifully set by the beach which is floodlit at night; the other is more international with BBQs, burgers, fish and chips, pizzas as well as Thai cuisine. La Gritta seems fairly expensive (for Thailand) and whilst the service was attentive, the steak I had was barely warm and I sent back for a reheat; my wife's fish was nothing special and, with only two glasses of wine, the bill approached £80.

Food was fine in the other restaurant, but service was slow (there are many more seats) and we often waited 20 mins + for an initial bar drink. Price range was better here too. Fewer seats right by the sea.

We also took breakfast here: buffet style, pretty good except for coffee, which staff rarely proffered, meaning that one had to queue at the single (!) coffee machine which, gladly, was excellent.

Good experience overall, though not quite perfect.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IanSimpson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Burasari Resort
Burasari Resort
#6 of 333 in Patong
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket

Been to Amari Phuket? Share your experiences!