“Happy overall...”
Review of Amari Phuket

Amari Phuket
Ranked #2 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 11 March 2007

I stayed here for 2 nights, it costed me about US$400 (inclusive of tax, service chanrge and breakfast) for a Deluxe room. Originally wanted to book Holiday Inn but it was full as I went during peak season Chinese New Year.

Arrived Phuket airport, I emailed the hotel beforehand to arrange for transportation. Unfortunately my flight was cancelled and I took the next flight, but I forgot to inform the hotel, so they charged me US$24 for no show. The hotel staff at the airport was helpful and arranged transportation when I found out that the taxi for me had come and left. My friend was arriving Phuket at 2am and I asked the concierge to send a taxi to pick her up. She ended up queuing for the customs for 2 hours and so the taxi left. Again, there was another US$24 charged for no show. I guess I couldn't really blame the hotel, but thought the taxi will easily be able to pick up other travellers and so I was a bit disappointed they still charged the full price and us having to pay double.

On arrival, lobby spacious and check-in was ok. A staff walked me to my room, which is 10 minutes from the lobby. The staff showed me around along the way. I was genuinely surprised at how nice and big the resort is. Phuket hotels are generally more expensive than elsewhere in Thailand and I guess I wasn't expecting much since I didn't pay a lot for the stay (I stayed in Banyan Tree for 2 nights afterwards and it was US$1850 in total, so at least 4 fold). There are 2 swimming pools, at least 3 restaurants, nice spa etc.

Was really pleased with the room, it's big with a balcony overlooking the sea. It’s really comfortable sitting on the sofa for a read. The decor is quite nice and better than hotel website photos. The bathroom is alright and the water pressure is strong. The furniture is well kept and overall the whole hotel is new and very clean. Pillows are really comfortable and air con in the room also works well.

As other reviewors have noted, it's basically 5-10 minutes down to Patong Beach where it is buzzling with restaurants and shops. There are tuk tuks waiting outside the hotel and it costed less than US$3 to get there.

I ordered a tuk tuk as I need to go to this diving place, I told the concierge I need one in 10 mins. Someone from the concierge then called after 3 mins and said the tuk tuk is waiting outside in the car park near our side. I was a bit annoyed as I need another few mins to get ready but I hurried and left the room within a min. There was no tuk tuk at the car park so I rushed to the lobby. There was no tuk tuk waiting there either so concierge ordered another one for me. Apart from this incident, the staff is really friendly and courteous. Wouldn't say they are efficient but I guess we are supposed to be all chilled and relaxed there.

I had dinner at La Gritta as I heard it is one of the best restaurants in Phuket. I went at 9, they close at 10 and so there were very few people. I had soup, lasagne, a drink n a bottle of water and it only costed me US$30 with a table overlooking the sea. The lasagne was absolutely gorgeous and I wish I had time to go back for another one. Definitely recommend going for dinner. The breakfast buffet was also really nice. Although it doesn't seem to have a wide selection, I do found everything I want.

Me and my friend also tried the spa, you actually do it in a private hut, kinda feel like open air, but I did not encounter any problems with insects, probably because they have incense. I had a chocolate scrub and wrap, then a massage. Originally the package was 30 mins scrub, 60 mins wrap and 60 mins massage. I thought 60 mins wrap was too long and after I was being wrapped in a roll, I asked whether I can shorten it to 30 mins and get 90 mins massage instead. The lady helping was not sure but she asked the manager to come and it was sorted out after I insisted that I do not want to be wrapped for an hour. My skin was silky smooth afterwards and the massage was really nice too. By the time we finished, it was dark and you can hear the waves. It costed about US$170 which I suspect is more expensive than elsewhere but I still think it's worthwhile.

Overall, even with the taxi charges and the tuk tuk incident, I am still very happy with the hotel and will most likely return when I re-visit Phuket.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends
10  Thank missvontravels
There are newer reviews for Amari Phuket

Reviewed 9 March 2007

Amazing, quite frankly cannot think of anyhting bad to say about this place, oh yes, the coke in the mini bar is three times more expensive than the 7 11 five minutes down the road!

Seriously from the amazing jetty strutting out over the coral reef, (fantastic snorkelling) to the superb Spa on site. A tad expensive but well worth it!

Three restaurants, all serving top class food, and the best hotel band I`ve ever heard.

The website pictures do not do this place justice. By far and away the best hotel we saw in Patong, if not Phuket. Enjoy. We will be back next year.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank kingeric78
Reviewed 7 March 2007

We stayed at the Amari in Phuket over the Chinese New Year period. We planned this trip as an introduction to Thailand for my parents-in-law who are reluctant travellers and as far as introductions go, it was the best it could be.

We booked the deluxe rooms, top floor (on the basis of advice given on tripadvisor) and stayed for 4 nights. We asked for King size beds too! The rooms were beautifully decorated and very comfortable, with good views over the beach and sea - a peaceful place to sit and drink a cup of tea (!).

The Amari is described as being on the quieter side of Patong beach. What this means is that it has its own small beach (coral beach...) and is far enough away from Patong beach to give you a sense of peace and quiet, but near enough for you to walk in in ten minutes if you want to be a part of the Patong scene. Seeing how crowded and hectic Patong beach was, we were especially pleased that the Amari had its own private beach - this was good for walking along, and for kids to play on. You could swim in the water here too - but there are better beaches around Phuket which are easy to get to.

The hotel had a variety of different areas to sit in including two pools, the beachfront, and a few loungers along a jetty stretching out into the sea. There was even a little platform moored off the jetty, which you could snorkel around. You could also organise short trips to other beaches etc. with the hotel or with the boatmen who arrive during the day on one corner of the beach.

Food: three restaurants with views over the sea and with fantastic food - Italian (La Gritta), Thai and a general dining area. The general dining area was an open area where we had a lovely and massive breakfast buffet every morning. It also served different types of food in the evening. The hotel kept things interesting by organising various types of dining events - even on the jetty (looked very romantic!). There is also a bar area which was great for pre-dinner drinks.

Spa: OK, you can get good massages for about 250 baht in town, and this is a little pricey in comparison, but it is worth it. You get your own spa room, set high up on one side of the resort - open fronts, looking out to sea but still private. Well worth it for that special luxurious treat and you do feel like you are on top of the world!!

Staff: Friendly, thoughtful and helpful - we were treated really well all through our stay.

Things you could try and pick on if you wanted to find something to pick on: as the hotel is quite old, the bathroom could do with a little updating, but really - how much time do you spend in a bathroom? Also the hotel has been "accused" of having too many steps - but this is probably good exercise once you've got a few of those breakfast buffets in you! And finally - perhaps there should be a separate smoking area in the restaurants as most of the smokers at the hotel while we were staying seemed to have an affinity to the tables where the sea breezes could blow all their smoke directly onto the non-smokers!

For a hotel which is meant to be 20+ years old (so I was told by a staff member), they've done a wonderful job in keeping it beautiful and well-maintained. Most importantly - my parents-in-laws' first visit to Thailand was a great success, and they simply loved it.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank Taprobane76
Reviewed 1 March 2007

After a long travel from California to Phuket, it was wonderful to have a taxi waiting for us to bring us to the Amari, which we made the arrangement through the resort. From the moment we stepped out of the taxi, we knew we were going to love this resort. We stayed in a deluxe room with a balcony over looking the sea, where we spent alot of our time. The room was spacious and clean. Each day you received 4 bottles of water and some fruit. Our room included breakfast, which was a buffet of various styles (American, Japanese, Thai, etc) and was delicious. The Amari resort is a beautiful setting with two pools and three outdoor restaurants and with activities you can sign up to do. The resort is good for a romantic trip or a family trip. You really feel like you are in the tropics. One of the best things about staying at the Amari is the staff. The staff was very friendly and helpful, smiling all the time. We were only a 10 minute walk to the Patong Beach area, which has a lot of shops & restaurants for the tourists. The Amari is nice to where if you want a quiet time you stay at the resort, but if you want more excitment you can go into Patong. We did both depending on our mood. We took a tour (which we booked through the resort) to go to Phi Phi Island to do some snorkeling, and visit monkey island to see wild monkeys. Also through the resort we hired a driver to take us to the rainforest to go for a hike and see some waterfalls. We highly recommend this resort and we look forward to returning to Thailand and the Amari Coral Beach Resort.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank SBCATraveler
Reviewed 25 February 2007

My partner and I stayed 7 nites at the Amari in October last year. This is a beautiful place to be away from busy Patong and only 3 minute tuk tuk ride to the main town centre.

We stayed in a Deluxe room which we were very happy to have chosen over the Superior. The room itself was lovely and clean and the balcony with sofa was just perfect and a cool place to watch the freaky monsoon storms that struck at night.

The downside to the Amari for us was the treck to and from our 3rd floor room to the restaurants and then the many flights of stairs again to get to the lobby. We both have great fitness but in Thailand heat this amount of walking really wasn't what we needed.

Also, we were very suprised at the outdated bathroom in our room. I am not sure if it was maybe just our room, but there were missing tiles, stained toilet bowl and the bath was cracked by the tap.

The breakfast is great and in such an amazing setting and even more beautiful is the Lobby Bar. We didn't dine at the Italian Restaurant, but the Thai one is definately something to rave about.

Service was great aswell considering they had a high standard to meet since we were arriving from a stay at the perfect Majestic Grande in Bangkok. The Spa was heaven too and a must although keep in mind that you are paying double the price for a massage there compared to what you pay to have one on the beach in Patong.

Overall we loved our time at the Amari, however next time would definately suggest a room closer to the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank crosspitlane
Reviewed 22 February 2007

Just back after 8 nights at the Amari Coral. GREAT.

In room 4104, right on the water. Could hear the water lapping the shore!! The hotel is a wonderfull refuge from the madness of Patong Beach. So close, but yet seems miles away. The hotel is quiet and the staff is the best. Courteous and helpful.

Would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

ppv3

6  Thank ppv3
Reviewed 21 February 2007

Just returned from a week in Phuket at the Amari. What a great place to stay! Location is perfect - near enough to Patong to go back and forth with ease, but far enough away to avoid the noise, smell and glitz. Great views across the bay. Stayed in a superior room in one of the front blocks and felt as if we were above the ocean. Poolside/beachside bar is fantastic, staff were wonderfully helpful and friendly and breakfasts were very varied and extremely good. Italian restaurant was outstanding - ask for a seat right next to the beach. In truth, there's not too much of a beach there but you'd rather use the pool anyway. Massages also highly recommended. Also the lobby bar cabaret - so bad it was compulsive viewing. Only complaint is the lack of smoking/non-smoking segregation, which is exacerbated by the focus (throughout Phuket) on German tourists, all of whom appear to smoke!

Once again, highly recommended for those who want their own little idyllic oasis near Patong Beach.

Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank Barkers_View
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
BYD Lofts Boutique Hotel & Serviced Apartments
The Chava Resort
The Chava Resort
#1 of 36 in Choeng Thale
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach

Been to Amari Phuket? Share your experiences!