“Best place in Patong”

Ranked #44 of 322 Hotels in Patong
Sydney, Australia
“Best place in Patong”
Reviewed 13 July 2008

I can't believe that people have any issues with the Horizon Beach Resort. I think it is the best stay in Phuket. Unlike the Meridien and some other, more expensive cousins - the Horizon is a clean, respectable (some thought it was right posh) and friendly establishment ... and here is the cracker... right in the heart of it all.

Those other hotels are an annoying tuk-tuk or 30 minute walk to Patong Beach and Bangla Rd. Don't get me wrong - I love walking - especially on the beach, but when dark hits in Phuket - you don't want to think there is still a long trek back to your accommodation in 30 degree heat and 100% humidity.

Nestled in a beautiful garden setting (and boy do they work around the clock to keep it manicured) with two lovely pools (thank God they have the sense to make one adult-only), you can't walk 2 metres without having a smiling face saying hello or sawasdee!

Breakfast is stunning and changes daily - but always has the staples us westerners so like on holidays (if one can't eat copious amounts of bacon on holidays - th world has turned). I didn't once eat lunch or dinner at the hotel as you are surrounded with the BEST that Phuket has to offer - all within 5 minutes walk.

The cleaning staff were amazing - and we did notice we always ran out of paper (yes we have big [--], though I am sure it is more to do with Thai fruit!) so gently let them know - and after that we had enough to drain the Andaman Sea!

My only negative would be the 'side' entrance (which is really the front entrance) is located on a small Soi which means the mini-vans don't always get to it that well. I don't mind that - but walking past the 10 or so shops selling t-shirts, bags and of course the ever present Tailors- can be a daunting experience. They are quite aggressive for your trade - albeit in the friendliest way - but after a couple of days of no purchases (along the beach is far cheaper) it was "Okay, my children don't eat tonight" - which bothers me no end. - To save this you just use the 'front' entrance - which is really the side entrance (you all following this?...) which puts only an extra 30 seconds onto your walk - but has the added bonus of having no shops, a garden setting, a fountain to wash the dirt/sand off your feet and comes up by the crossing - which the guarded tourist police officer will let you walk past by stopping traffic for you.

I think it is an ideal place, and I will never again stay in another hotel in Phuket - only the Horizon for me! :)

• Liked — The fantastic setting in the absolute centre of everything.
  • Disliked — Cleaning was amazing - but they didn't always clean the ashtray on the balcony! Who cares!?
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank Misha J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney
Reviewed 28 June 2008

I have just returned from staying at the Horizon in Patong for the third time (previously in 2005 and 2006), and once again I was delighted with my stay.

Firstly, the location is excellent. It is right in Patong, with easy access to an array of shops, massage parlours, internet cafes and tour offices. The beach is right across the road.

The service has been excellent on each stay. The porters are always helpful, and happy to have a chat. The housekeeping is excellent, and very prompt. We were marked as "honeymooners" on our last stay, and the bed was decorated beautifully with flowers and some very cute swans made from towells. We have also been given a free room upgrade on 2 occassions.

The breakfast is great, and the fresh omelettes delicious.

Our rooms have always been very clean and the bathroom adequate. However, the beds are very very hard and I did find this to be the one downside.

One other thing I did notice on my last stay was the amount of Australians now at this hotel! The porters estimated the hotel's customers are 90% Aussie. So a great place if you are Aussie and like to be around people from home, but for me it was quite surreal. I almost didnt feel like I was in a different country at times. I also think we have a greater tendency to relax in the hotel, rather than venturing out..... so the pool was always very busy! (Even in low season).

Overall great value for money and wonderful service.

• Liked — Friendly service
  • Disliked — Hard and uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kris82
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2008

This hotel is Great. It has a fantastic location - 2 minute walk from the beach, away from all the noise of Bangla Road, walk out the front to find markets, massages, laundry etc etc. It was great. Tea and Coffee facilities in the room. Little toiletries like shower cap, sewing kits, free sealed bottled water replaced in the fridge daily. Excellant channels on the TV - foxtell type programs. The service was excellant and the price was great. Cannot complain about the hotel at all. Have stayed there twice previously and will stay there again. Pool area was clean and tidy and the water was beautiful. Everything worked properly in the room. Had a inbuilt safe. No probs.

• Liked — It was well maintained, everything was perfect.
  • Disliked — There was nothing to complain about here.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kylie76
Patong
Reviewed 8 May 2008

Just returned from 10 Days at Horizon Beach Hotel, Patong Bch. Phuket. The hotel was excellent value for money. The cleanliness could not be faultered and all the hotel staff were the friendliest we have ever met. (Good morning have a nice day). The only meals we ate at the hotel was breakfast and this was okay, but could have been better by ensuring the hot food remained hot.
The hotel is well positioned for access to the beach and shopping and restraunts.
Overall a very nice hotel to stay that gives value for money.

• Liked — close to all ammenities
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2008

We were travelling with two children and had specifically booked direct pool access room. When we arrived the room was not available and were given a family room. 24 hours later we had to repack our bags and were given the correct room booked and paid for some 6 months in advance.

The bathrooms in both the rooms were an absolute disgrace - severely water damaged and dirty. The second bathroom was leaking around the bath/shower so badly that four towels were required to be packed around the bathtub just so we could dry ourselves on a dry bathroom floor. Soap and mould build up around the top of the bath was disgusting.

Breakfast selection was very poor and the same day in/day out. Glasses for juice were hot, so no chance of a cool juice for breakfast.

I had stayed there twice before but will not go back again and will not recommend to anyone else to stay there.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty, water damaged bathrooms
3 Thank oldcheese58
Sydney
Reviewed 1 May 2008

We arrived in a group of 6 adults and 6 children all under the age of 11. After a long flight and arriving late in the evening our rooms were not ready. They tried to accommodate 4 people in one room with one double bed. Not sure that fire regulations would allow them to do this! We spent the next 2 hours in reception trying to organise rooms it was approaching midnight and there were some very tied kids. We accommodated ourselves for the evening and spent the next 3 days trying to sort out the rooms we had booked. The hotel gets 100% for the number of people that we spoke to that had not been given the rooms that they had booked. Some people even had confirmed e-mails from the hotel on their rooms and still didn't get what they booked.

Breakfast: ordinary you get fresh eggs and toast and not much else seems edible.
Rooms: should be shut down and refurbished. Water leaks from the bathrooms. Someone should tell them towels have a limited life.
Reception: staff need a course in hospitality.
Other staff: friendly enough.
Location: well it is across from the beach and in the centre of what Patong has to offer.
This was our third time to Thailand and would rate this hotel as the worst we have ever experienced. Should be downgraded to 1 star.

• Liked — Location - easy to escape
  • Disliked — Quality of facilities
3 Thank YXK
sydney
Reviewed 22 April 2008

We justed arrived home after 11 nights at Horizon Patong and then 3 nights at the Horizon Karon beach. The staff was wonderful and the buffet breakfast was very good.

It worked out to be 40 dollars a night, really. Although the bathrooms were a bit ordinary, the close proximity to the main beach area and shopping was great. We bought 7 nights stayed 7 for free. By the end of our second week all the school kids arrived (Australia) and they asked us if wanted an upgrade to Karon. I heard they did that, so we went to check it out, wow!!!! if you do go there, try to get them to upgrade you earlier, peaceful and the beach is much cleaner. Unless you want to be right in the action, they are two totally different atmospheres.

There were 11 of us staying in 5 rooms. The beds were a bit hard but better than saggy, I suppose. Not enough drawers for our clothes but isn't that the case everywhere?

When we arrived we all had a tray of fresh fruit in our rooms, yum. We received two glass bottles of water every day.

We celebrated Mum's 74th birthday there, all I did was tell the staff and they gave her a beautiful box of orchids etc. and we had her dinner at the Baluchi restaurant. Cannot fault their food (only coffee - too strong). Three different menus and for 11 of us, not one bad meal, very reasonable too. Of course it is cheaper elsewhere, but we didn't feel like going out for Mum's birthday.

This is a 3 star hotel so if you go there expecting more, don't. Holiday inn is next door, huge but we decided we wanted to save money and spend it elsewhere. Oh ya, did we ever!

I did not use the day spa as there were heaps elsewhere, much cheaper.

Some downsides are:

1) 'hell alley" to the left of the side entrance. Bombarded by tailors etc..... although, turn to the right, heaps of massage places and cheap restaurants. The only time I didn't get bugged is when I actually carried my suit bag down the alley, haha.

2) The waft every so often of Patong Beach sewage - they just cannot handle all of us tourists I'm afraid! Don't go expecting the jasmine smell everywhere, okay?

3) No proper air con lounge area to sit and play cards, chat etc. We sat around the foyer sometimes, while we were waiting for our 11 people to get organized!!

4) Patong Beach ocean is only metres away, but is filthy!! Cannot even see our hands under the water 15cm, yuck. I was hoping for clearer water, but now I know. Which reminds me, the hotel water in the bath - yellow brown. (clear at Horizon Karon)

Some of the best things:

Food, staff, freezing cold rooms, woohoo and the fact you can laze around the pool, etc and not know that it is so crazy just a few metres outside the resort, especially we were there during the Songkran water fighting days - good place to duck in and hide!

We did use their free shuttle service to their new Horizon Karon Beach resort which has beautiful surrounds. Although erratic times, we only had to take a taxi very few times.

I personally would like to stay at a different beach resort away from Patong and closer to Phi Phi Island group next time.

Cheers,
Sharon

We were upgraded to the adult only privledge club, so quiet and great except some of the family had to stay on the kids side. But posh as!!! I will review that one later.

All in all, I would recommend it for families on a budget and if you are with a larger group, saves you money on Tuk Tuk's etc. Although we were about a 20 min walk from Bangla Rd through the crowds, traffic etc.

• Liked — breakfast buffet, close proximity to shopping etc.
  • Disliked — small pool, no air con lounge area.
3 Thank sharonsmarty