“Great place to stay, will stay there again!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Horizon Patong Beach Resort & Spa

Horizon Patong Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #44 of 319 Hotels in Patong
Frankston, Victoria
“Great place to stay, will stay there again!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

The Horizon Patong is THE place to stay if you want to be in the thick of things at Patong beach. Remembering it is only 3 star rated, it is excellent value for money if you want to use the hotel as your base and move around the local area.

We stayed in a family suite which is huge and has its own kitchenette (although I never did more than boil the jug for a cuppa). The bathroom is also quite roomy with a separate shower and another shower over the bath, handy if you are in a hurry, two can shower separately but at the same time! The rooms were always well maintained by the maid service and they bent over backwards to make sure everything was to our liking.

The pools are not huge but we nearly always found a deckchair to laze on. It appeared as though the entire hotel was populated by mostly Australians which helps if you are a little daunted by the whole Thai thing. Chatting to other Aussies was a great way to discover how much things should cost and we got some good recommendations as to places we should visit.

We were "unfortunate" enough to be unable to fly home on our intended day due to the protestors blocking Phuket airport and we found the hotel staff extremely helpful and accommodating. They held regular information sessions for those that were interested and kept us informed as to the situation. We were also offered discount accommodation for the extra period we were held over.

The location is amazing! We loved being able to walk out of either of the entrances and have everything right at our fingertips. All of the shopping centres, markets and restaurants, as well as Bangla road were only within 15 minutes walk away...we never had to use a tuk-tuk, it was foot work all the way.

Breakfast was fine, plenty to choose from. We never ate at the restaurant for lunch or dinner though, why would you when you can go 2 minutes up the road and purchase the same food at half the price.
Anyway, enough babbling, it was FANTASTIC and I will definately stay there again..........HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

• Liked — Location, location, location, Oh and the location
  • Disliked — Not always being able to find a chair around the pool.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank dipas1000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2008

I will stay at the Horizon Beach Resort and Spa at Patong Beach the next time I travel to Phuket. The resort is in an excellent location in Patong, with everything available virtually on the doorstep. The facilities at the resort were good. Both pools were clean and well maintained, our room was comfortable and clean and the resort restaurant served up a good range of offerings for breakfast. Service was generally very good, with one minor exception with reception. The resort was an oasis where you could get away from the bustle in Patong, despite its central location. Only thing I would do differently is to consider upgrading to a larger room with a balcony. The resort has several and I think they would be well worth the extra expense. I really enjoyed my time in Phuket and staying at the Horizon Beach Resort and Spa helped to make my holiday a pleasant experience. I shall be back!

• Liked — Location, atmosphere
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael_B_17
perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2008

We stayed at Horizon for a week and I was pleasantly upgraded to a family room which is heaps bigger than the normal superior/deluxe. it is a older style hotel, pools are not big but if you are after location for a cheap price you cant beat it.

Tip: Use the Holiday Inn's pool next door, its huge!!!!!

basically all we wanted for our second visit was a room to sleep in, if you want a more luxurious stay pay the extra and go next door to the Holiday Inn. The people who complain about this hotel expect way too much for a 3star resort. Its basic but comfortable.

Breakfast is the norm for patong, bacon, eggs (any way you want), toast, fruit and cornflakes. If you are a vegemite or peanut butter fan take your own, i do every time I go coz they never have it!!!!!!

The only thing I can complain about was that they were going to charge us 500baht for a notepad we didnt even use. Apparantly it went missing????? Seriously that was a joke, but after talking to the manager she was very nice and didnt charge us. So warning: take note of what is in the room when you arrive.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small pools
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ad-rhett
Perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

You get what you pay for. This an average hotel for an average price. Basic rooms are very basic - with old facilities and grubby bathrooms. Mildew and rust make it impossible to clean these thoroughly. Shower head sent water everywhere except on to me. Towels and sheets are tired.
Basic rooms comparable with basic rooms at patong beach resort. (siam wing i think)
The suites with kitchenettes are much nicer, the bathrooms are cleanable. These are not worth the standard rate charged for them though. Better off going to a newer hotel with newer facilities for the same price.
Cannot fault the location though.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jmmt71
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2008

I can't believe that people have any issues with the Horizon Beach Resort. I think it is the best stay in Phuket. Unlike the Meridien and some other, more expensive cousins - the Horizon is a clean, respectable (some thought it was right posh) and friendly establishment ... and here is the cracker... right in the heart of it all.

Those other hotels are an annoying tuk-tuk or 30 minute walk to Patong Beach and Bangla Rd. Don't get me wrong - I love walking - especially on the beach, but when dark hits in Phuket - you don't want to think there is still a long trek back to your accommodation in 30 degree heat and 100% humidity.

Nestled in a beautiful garden setting (and boy do they work around the clock to keep it manicured) with two lovely pools (thank God they have the sense to make one adult-only), you can't walk 2 metres without having a smiling face saying hello or sawasdee!

Breakfast is stunning and changes daily - but always has the staples us westerners so like on holidays (if one can't eat copious amounts of bacon on holidays - th world has turned). I didn't once eat lunch or dinner at the hotel as you are surrounded with the BEST that Phuket has to offer - all within 5 minutes walk.

The cleaning staff were amazing - and we did notice we always ran out of paper (yes we have big [--], though I am sure it is more to do with Thai fruit!) so gently let them know - and after that we had enough to drain the Andaman Sea!

My only negative would be the 'side' entrance (which is really the front entrance) is located on a small Soi which means the mini-vans don't always get to it that well. I don't mind that - but walking past the 10 or so shops selling t-shirts, bags and of course the ever present Tailors- can be a daunting experience. They are quite aggressive for your trade - albeit in the friendliest way - but after a couple of days of no purchases (along the beach is far cheaper) it was "Okay, my children don't eat tonight" - which bothers me no end. - To save this you just use the 'front' entrance - which is really the side entrance (you all following this?...) which puts only an extra 30 seconds onto your walk - but has the added bonus of having no shops, a garden setting, a fountain to wash the dirt/sand off your feet and comes up by the crossing - which the guarded tourist police officer will let you walk past by stopping traffic for you.

I think it is an ideal place, and I will never again stay in another hotel in Phuket - only the Horizon for me! :)

• Liked — The fantastic setting in the absolute centre of everything.
  • Disliked — Cleaning was amazing - but they didn't always clean the ashtray on the balcony! Who cares!?
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank Misha J
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2008

I have just returned from staying at the Horizon in Patong for the third time (previously in 2005 and 2006), and once again I was delighted with my stay.

Firstly, the location is excellent. It is right in Patong, with easy access to an array of shops, massage parlours, internet cafes and tour offices. The beach is right across the road.

The service has been excellent on each stay. The porters are always helpful, and happy to have a chat. The housekeeping is excellent, and very prompt. We were marked as "honeymooners" on our last stay, and the bed was decorated beautifully with flowers and some very cute swans made from towells. We have also been given a free room upgrade on 2 occassions.

The breakfast is great, and the fresh omelettes delicious.

Our rooms have always been very clean and the bathroom adequate. However, the beds are very very hard and I did find this to be the one downside.

One other thing I did notice on my last stay was the amount of Australians now at this hotel! The porters estimated the hotel's customers are 90% Aussie. So a great place if you are Aussie and like to be around people from home, but for me it was quite surreal. I almost didnt feel like I was in a different country at times. I also think we have a greater tendency to relax in the hotel, rather than venturing out..... so the pool was always very busy! (Even in low season).

Overall great value for money and wonderful service.

• Liked — Friendly service
  • Disliked — Hard and uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kris82
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2008

This hotel is Great. It has a fantastic location - 2 minute walk from the beach, away from all the noise of Bangla Road, walk out the front to find markets, massages, laundry etc etc. It was great. Tea and Coffee facilities in the room. Little toiletries like shower cap, sewing kits, free sealed bottled water replaced in the fridge daily. Excellant channels on the TV - foxtell type programs. The service was excellant and the price was great. Cannot complain about the hotel at all. Have stayed there twice previously and will stay there again. Pool area was clean and tidy and the water was beautiful. Everything worked properly in the room. Had a inbuilt safe. No probs.

• Liked — It was well maintained, everything was perfect.
  • Disliked — There was nothing to complain about here.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple