“Dont waist your money and let this place spoil what should be an amazing break.....”

Aquarius Gay Guesthouse and Sauna
Ranked #40 of 231 Speciality Lodging in Patong
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

What an absolute miserable place. No wi fi, no service, location is convenient but seriosly thats all it has going for it. I have traveled the world and have never been compelled to leave a review however this place is the worst establishment I have ever stayed......there is such potential, but seriously do not stay here anytime soon.

• Stayed: April 2014
13  Thank Mattmann38
Paul V, Owner at Aquarius Gay Guesthouse and Sauna, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

This is a typical and perfect example of a fake review and phantom customer. We have required a reservation number and exact travel dates from TripAdvisor, but haven't heard back from them since more than 2 weeks already. Simply because there are no exact travel dates neither is there any reservation number. We can state that no customer from Newcastle AU stayed with us in April.
This review was posted just 2 days after our management-response on the previous review of BJ was published, which explains everything.
No further comment needed from our side.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was happy to check in once I saw the blackboard out front advertising rooms for THB700 with superfast wifi. Of course, the rooms were actually THB800 and with dial up internet speeds accessed through a generic wi-fi hotspot that only allowed log in to one gadget per room (your phone OR your laptop, not both.)

My room safe would not work. I went down to reception and politely asked if I could get assistance, only to be met with a tantrum from the reception desk that included throwing a pen, messing up his hair in anger, and storming out in the direction of my room. He told me that it was my fault. The internet still did not work.

The balcony was absolutely filthy - I counted 12 cigarette butts.

I had happily planned on a six night stay, I checked out after my first. If the staff are unable to offer any kind of customer service, perhaps they should find jobs selling glow sticks at the local markets.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
11  Thank BangkokJoey
Paul V, Owner at Aquarius Gay Guesthouse and Sauna, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

You have stayed with us in the past and therefor we are very surprised about your all of a sudden and complete change of opinion.
Our rooms are advertised FROM 700 Baht in High season, not FOR 700 Baht as you write. Please read carefully before giving false information to readers on TA. This cheapest rate of
course is subject to availability. You didn't have a reservation and our cheapest room category wasn't available that day, so you choose a higher room category with balcony at 800 Baht for 3 nights, not 6 as you pretend here.

You write "the internet still didn't work", but 2 lines higher you contradictory wrote you were using it with 1 gadget a time. In all rooms we offer free high speed Fiber Optic WiFi internet which can perfectly be used by many different devices at the same time upon request. You told us only the next day that you needed a code for 2 devices and then this issue was solved with a few clicks in our HotSpot program.

Although you then could use your 2 gadgets at the same time and we twice had opened your safe of which you had forgotten the code yourself, you told my staff you were going to check out because you had found a cheaper room with a "friend".
You paid 800 Baht for your 24 hours stay, but shortly after checking out you asked us by e-mail to be fully refunded, commenting the safe and internet didn't work, our staff had been rude and that you saw 12 cigarette butts on the balcony.
A couple of months ago you wrote us in an inquiry e-mail that you would
be on a very restricted budget. As you are trying to get a room for free based on fake arguments we are afraid your budget indeed must be extremely restricted.
Unfortunately you don't want to understand that after a 24 hours stay we
of course can not fully refund you, with as result your comment here on TA.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Great place to unwind and relax and close to the main street and to the gay street.
good value (for phuket anyway).
Air con was a bit weak and took a bit longer to cool the room but once the room was cool, there were no issues.

Room Tip: I chose the higher 3rd floor to reduce the noise. The hotel has staircase to each floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank orionling
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I was given a room where I couldn´t sleep because of the blasting sound of the music from the clubs around.
Besides the air conditioning didn´t work properly and the ceiling fan was blocked. Consequently the room itself was the sauna they advertise on the web.
I was offered another room in a different building at double price.
I couldn´t stay there another single moment and found another hotel for the same price and nothing to do with that pigsty.

Acording to the policy of that dump they charge you for a night if you don´t turn up, but I was charge three nights for early check out which is not either logic of fair.

Anyway, I was looking forward to getting away from there so I had to pay to leave.

I got the impression that they have that room to swindle unadviced customers and I am sure they make a lot of money cheating people like that.

I was very surprised when I saw at the recepción that they showed a good opinion 2012 award from trip advisor.

My advice: keep away from that place. there are many hostels in the area giving better rooms and better service for the same money.

To be honest I had to admit that the owner was nice. but the thai staff who worked for him are rude, nasty and wicked.

Had it been a tourist department as we have in Europe I would have put a claim most certainly, but there´s nothing of the sort, so they do whatever they want

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank gregorio e
Paul V, Owner at Aquarius Gay Guesthouse and Sauna, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Dear Sir,
we regret you were not fully satisfied with your room, but we have to rectify some of your sayings.
First we have to say that the fact that you especially created an account on TripAdvisor to write
your first review ever and the way you write your review with on top the accusations you make in it, make us strongly think you wrote this review on behalf of one of our competitors.
The room you had is the favorite room of several of our regular guests, especially for long staying guests. To accuse us of swindling and cheating with that room is just very unseemly from your side, especially if you know that 70 to 75% of our guests are returning guests, many of them since over more than 10 years.

On your arrival the fan indeed not worked because the string to turn it on was wrapped and
stuck in the fan. Just after your arrival I personally went up to fix this in your presence, same as
for the air conditioner, which I changed to another program and then was cooling well.
If you say the room was like a sauna all night this just is not true.
You booked one of our cheapest rooms and when you asked us for a bigger room we showed you 2 other rooms. The bigger rooms cost 200 Baht (6USD only!) more than the cheapest rooms (not double as you pretend), but you refused to pay 200 Baht more for a bigger room.

Also, instead of giving false information to readers about our cancellation policy, you should first read it. Normally we could have charged you 50% of the cancelled days, but we decided to charge you only with 2 extra nights, not 3 as you write.
We indeed received the TripAdvisor award , because the large majority of our guests is very satisfied with our establishment and the services we provide.
However, for any establishment in the world it is impossible to satisfy a full 100% of clientele.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

The best thing about Aquarius is the location, which is a 30-second walk to the gay bars/clubs/drag shows just around the corner. It is located right on the main strip in Patong, with several restaurants, bars, and stores. The property, however, needs a major overhaul. My room was large. The furniture seems to have arrived from the 1980s. The bathroom was smelly and there was no hot water in the shower or in the sink. When the room next door flushed their toilet, my toilet made gargling noises. Although I am a non-smoker, there was an ashtray in my room, and cigarettes available for purchase in the mini-bar. My room had a large window facing the slum across the alley. I tried to use the gym, but all the machines were rusted and none worked.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank DERICK S
Paul V, Owner at Aquarius Gay Guesthouse and Sauna, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear D,

we thank you for your visit and your comment. However, please allow us to comment some of your writings.Since more than 8 months already we are in the process of a lot of renovations, both inside and outside of Aquarius. As this was your first stay, you might have missed the difference, but all our returning guests do notice the progress.
These renovations however only concern the property of Aquarius itself; we are not responsible of our neighboring properties and we unfortunately can not oblige our neighbors to make renovations or repaint their buildings. At the time of your stay we also were working on the drainage system, which might have occurred the gargling noise.
The furniture you describe as "from the 80's" was bought new in 2006.
At the sink there indeed is no hot water, but the water heater for the shower hasn't been replaced since your stay and today still is working perfectly, so maybe you just have forgotten to adjust the thermometer to hot water.
An ashtray can serve for other things than only ashes or cigarette butts and even if your room is a non-smoking room, we allow our customers to smoke outside their room if they want. Therefor we provide cigarettes in our minibars.
While your stay 2 of our fitness machines indeed were broken (they are mechanics), but the other dozen of machines still were working. To say none of them was working is at least said quite exaggerated from you side.
Hoping to see you soon again.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

That was my second time staying in Aquarius Guesthouse ,
Is great location, all the gay life is right next door,
and the staff is very friendly and helpful.
When you travel solo like I do, this is important.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank A S
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I'ts a very cheerful atmosphere there where you feel at home at once. The staff is friendly and helpful, the breakfast great and my room - situated to the quiet front road - big and comfortable.

Very comfortable is the direct access to the sauna, spa and the little swimming-pool.

The guesthouse is very close to the gay night life and to a lot of restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms to the Street and 3. floor are very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Heiko B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
The Royal Paradise Hotel & Spa
Club One Seven Phuket
Club One Seven Phuket
#9 of 413 in Patong
Phuket Gay Homestay - Neramit Hill

Been to Aquarius Gay Guesthouse and Sauna? Share your experiences!