“Still good, but has slipped a little”
Review of Burasari Resort

Burasari Resort
Ranked #7 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We have just returned from our second stay at this hotel, both stays were in Elite Pool access rooms.

This time, the rooms seemed particularly dated (furniture and bathroom tiling really need an upgrade).

The pros:-

The location is still fantastic. A 7/11 next door, cheap laundry only a few doors away, OTOP markets and beach just a quick walk away. Plenty of restaurants close by.

Most staff are friendly and competent. The signature massage at the spa (included in a special booking deal) was very good.

The pool access rooms are hugely convenient, and housekeeping are generous with pool towels. The free mini bar was good. Breakfast had a good selection.

And now for the cons....

Apart from being dated, my parents were not given the bottle of wine that was included as part of their package, we just could not be bothered to pursue this. Tea and coffee are no longer served at breakfast - there is now a machine for this, however the tea tasted like coffee. The mosquitoes are really bad, and seem to be worse than our last visit. We bought bug spray for the room and survived only by being coated in repellent. We could not leave the door open in the room. We had a late flight home, and I could not book a late checkout, or book an extra night directly through the hotel due to the hotel being "fully booked". I was able to book one online albeit for a different room category though. Once I did this, I was able to magically stay in my elite pool access room - go figure. The wifi, whilst freely available, and useful for browsing, could not cope with the uploading of a simple photo onto facebook or Instagram.

We noticed quite a few people using the pool and sun beds (and wifi) that were not guests of the hotel. This was never queried by staff.

Overall, it was a good stay and still worthy of a very good rating, but no longer excellent. The pros certainly outweigh the cons. Is worth noting that some of the cheaper rooms have a view over rooftops or walls.

Whilst I had booked 2 elite pool access rooms, on check in, only 1 was available. My parents were "upgraded" to the Glam Splash Mood Collection room. Make no mistake, the room is nice and large. But, it is very, very, very dark even in the middle of the day. The pool area is also dark, a light is needed to read by the pool and has an even bigger mosquito issue than where our room was. I would not ever choose to stay in this room over an elite pool access room for this reason.

Would I stay again? Maybe....

Room Tip: Elite pool access is my choice. I personally would not stay in any other room, and the Glam Splash i...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Burasari Resort

Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel offers a beautiful setting to clear your head and find refuge from the craziness that is Patong! I would definitely stay here again!

Pros:
Beautifully appointed and modern rooms with free mini bar!
Comfortable bed!
Beautiful pool area!
Amazing breakfast!!! Best I have ever seen! They even have maple syrup!
Amazing Thai massage at the spa! Worth the extra baht to have it done right!

Cons:
Bad water pressure in the shower (hard to wash my hair)
Bad wifi signal in the rooms
Not enough pool seating in general and very difficult to be in the sun!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Well, reception counter always a first impression when we step in the hotel.

I had encounter this situation twice during my stay 31st Oct - 2nd Nov 2013. When I step in, there is 2 receptionist, no other customer around but both ignored to greet bec of some paper work. I stood in front of them about 10 minute until I raise up my voice to said if you could help me then only I got a response. I don't mind waiting but at least inform me to hold on. The second time, I am asking for help to made a reservation, they inform me to wait this time. I waited for 20 minute at lobby no response just a call to made a reservation is too long, so I checked with her again is paperwork enough to forget a promise to customer. I really had a doubt is that paperwork for receptionist that busy enough to focus and ignored everything happen in lobby? I think the management need to retrain the staff.

The room, the breakfast and the in house spa is fabulous to return.
I am happy with the stay except the reception issue.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite is spacious and near swimming pool
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karenpok
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The Burasari Resort was a wonderful place to stay on our first visit to Thailand. We checked in late because our flight from Bejing was delayed but we didn't have any problems once we arrived. We chose a simple room that had a terrible view but since we were only in our rooms to sleep - we kept our shades closed at all times as we were right across from other rooms. Twice we ordered food from their kitchen and were not disappointed. I chose Pad Thai twice and both instances I was pleased with the noodles and flavor. It was always quiet when we returned to our room at night and we rarely saw other guests. The staff could barely speak English but were extremely pleasant. If they could not understand our request we were quickly escorted to an English speaking staff member.

SPA
We went to the spa for traditional Thai massages but were disappointed by the quality of our massages as the parlors kneaded our muscles harder. The last segment of the massage (10 min) featured traditional thai massages which was unfortunate for us. We went to our favorite parlors on the street in leu of Burasari's Spa.

Beach
It was in walking distance but is not a very clean/calm beach nor is it ideal for children. There are many 'companies' on the beach whose sole focus is to sell their jetski's and other activities who are constantly shooing folks who are enjoying the sand and water out of their 'area' (Though they were not aggressive). The water was warm but it felt a tad bit greasy. To add to the disappointment pollution of the water itself with various plastics is upsetting.

TAXI
Make sure you obtain the number of a reputable taxi that you can call to take you to and from the airport. We located a fair taxi service outside the Phuket airport in a booth that we kept the number to. They asked for 600 for service from Burasari to the airport. Burasari asked for 1000.........

Burasari Drivers
The one we used for our trip to the tigers and snake show was very nice and even gave us extra cash when we realized we had insufficient funds during our outing. I believe we payed him 500 for transportation to Tiger Kingdom and the snake show. He dropped us off at a great restaurant as well.

Hotel Grounds
Are simply spectacular with pools everywhere (small and large) and open ceilings.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I didn't think it was possible to find a hotel in Patong Beach that is not trashy like the beach it self. Burasari blew me away. It was like an oasis away from the dump that Patong Beach has become.

Here's is my low down on Burasari.

The GOOD: one of the most stunning hotel I have seen for the price that we paid ($80/night), the property is surrounded by water making it look like the garden of eden, it includes 2 pools one of which you can see at the lobby which will make your jaw drop, the fridge comes with FREE sodas and beer which gets replenished DAILY so drink up, they serve the best breakfast I have ever had in Thailand which rivals any 5 star resorts in the area, the rooms are clean and came with a balcony that has an outdoor bed, they gave us until 2PM to checkout which is very generous and even offered a room for us to shower just incase we needed to after 2PM.

The BAD: the bathroom needs to be redone when you shower the water drips onto the floor causing a little flood which is dangerous since I slipped a couple of times, in Patong it's all about taking tourists money so when you ask anyone in the front desk they automatically refer you to the sharks called travel agents so don't be fooled and shop around for tours and transportation needs, we checked in our bags after checking out thinking that they will lock it up in a room but no we found them in the lobby where they initially put it.

OVERALL: I highly recommend this hotel even with all the bad I put in this review. Let's face it you are in Patong Beach which is Thailand's most trashiest beach and this hotel allows you to escape from the trash lying outside of it.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We visited Phuket in May 2013, as it was my first trip to Thailand I really had no idea what to expect :)

The hotel was in a perfect location right near the beach but not too close to the main area to be too busy.

We stayed in a pool access room which allowed us to swim from the bar to our room which was awesome.

We experienced a real welcome from the staff and felt quite at ease in the busy Patong area.

Thoroughly enjoyed the breakfasts as well.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I've been relying on TA recommendations for many years and this is the first time a hotel hasn't turned out as expected. I realize that I've had a completely opposite experience as hundreds of other reviewers, so take it for what it is.

Everything at Burasari looks good which makes you expect it will live up to the hype. Unfortunately everything just feels slightly off. It really just boils down to poor execution, in my opinion.

I'll highlight some great and more not-so-great experiences below.

AIRPORT TAXI --
From Airport was B650 plus B100 airport fee -- this was based on the meter fare, though we saw other tourists quoted the same amt fixed rate to Patong.

ROOM --
Stayed for the weekend in a premier room. Due to problems with the first room, was moved to another on the second day.

Rm 1201 Dara Wing
Room features:
- New construction, very modern, new furnishings
- Quieter wing of the resort with its own pool
- Standing shower only with rainfall shower head, no tub
- Room decor was of nude western women (paintings, images), slightly odd and out of place in Thailand but nice nonetheless
- We had a "balcony", about 2 ft deep, which faced the roof of the restaurant next to us. Dirty, not useable at all -- they just put it there so could tell you that you have a balcony.

Some issues:
-1201 and adjacent rooms (1203, 1205, and similar rooms on 3rd and 4th floors) are likely the least quiet rooms in the wing. Right above the kitchen where breakfast is served, so staff are banging pots and pans at 5am, and intermittently throughout the day as the restaurant is running
- Toilet was broken. Sewage constantly backed up into the toilet, regardless of how many times you flushed. Using the bathroom was a nightmare.
- Hotel was full that night, so we moved to another room the next day

Rm 3324 - Other wing
Room features:
- Larger, older room but still well-furnished and modern decor
- Double sink in bathroom, with bath tub/shower combo
- Shower leaked all over the floor (due to really poor design), needed 3 towels to mop up

Our concern:
- Air conditioning didn't work consistently, it was on fan more than it was on AC. Called for service but the man just reset the power and told us to call back in 20 min. That didn't fix it, but it was late so we went to bed. Didn't sleep well and woke up the next morning to temperatures hotter inside than outside. AC finally turned back on just before checked out. Figures.

SERVICE --
Thailand is known for service but I didn't feel it was quite genuine here. Like I said, everything was just a little off. They didn't go above and beyond, simply answered your questions. If the answer was no, they just said no and that was it -- as if not to create more work. Always smiling, though.

Also, the general manager decided to shut down all restaurants and services early on Friday night, when the hotel was completely sold out, for a staff party. There's tons to do around Patong so it didn't inconvenience us, and I am absolutely supportive of rewarding staff, I just thought that was a peculiar decision to make on such a busy night.

AMENITIES --
Spa: was consistently booked, was not able to get a reservation at the time I wanted, but looked really nice. Recommend booking well in advance if you have a very specific time you want to go. Evenings seem to have open availability.

Pools: 2 pools with about a dozen 'public' sunbeds each (ie. For use by anyone, vs. Private sunbeds on the balconies of the surrounding rooms). Dara Wing pool sunbeds were always full.

Laundry: about B30 per item inside the hotel so we went outside, about 5 stores down on the left, to a lovely woman who did a great job with our laundry for B50/kg. Always happy to support local businesses and she was terrific. Absolutely recommend her, she's next to the massage place & tour touts on the south side of the street, walking towards Patong Beach.

Wifi: very good throughout the hotel

BREAKFAST --
Free for all guests, I think. Inside (AC) and outside seating. Excellent spread, with egg station and noodle station.

LOCATION --
Really close to Patong Beach, though we never stayed to sunbathe as there are too many vendors harassing you while there. Decent distance, 10 minutes walking, to Junceylon Mall and Bangla Rd.

Tip: there is a big grocery store in Robinson mall, attached to Junceylon.

And finally, the HOTEL TAXI SERVICE when we left --
Where to begin... this was the icing on the cake. The hotel has a deal with the guys who stand outside the hotel at the 'taxi stand' where the hotel isn't allowed to recommend / call any other taxi service but theirs. They give you flat rates, not metered service, and their cars are unmarked. We had to use them bc it was raining and it was too far to walk all the way to the east end of the street to hail a metered cab. We did manage to negotiate down to B700 (vs 900 originally -- still a rip off) to Panwa, our next destination. The driver didn't speak a word of English, didn't know our hotel, and get this --- listened to the radio and watched TV on a small screen while driving us! Incredulous and hilarious. We were too busy being stunned to be scared for our lives. Pic attached.

All in all, we gave Burasari and staff ample opportunities to fix the issues we encountered but without any satisfactory resolution. All we want when traveling is a comfortable place to sleep. We didn't get that. So we won't be back.

Moved onto Radisson Blu Panwa, which was a true resort in every sense of the word.

Room Tip: Rooms 1201/03/05 and similar on 3rd and 4th floors (13xx & 14xx) in Dara Wing overlook the break...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank A T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central
The KEE Resort & Spa
The KEE Resort & Spa
#25 of 328 in Patong

Been to Burasari Resort? Share your experiences!