“Underwhelmed”

Holiday Inn Resort Phuket
Ranked #4 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I can't believe that I am reading so many amazing reviews for this hotel. Either these reviewers are friends or family of the staff and owners of the holiday inn or they have little to compare with. Maybe you could believe that this is a 5 star hotel if you have only ever stayed in a 3 star resort? I really am bewildered because to me I would be generous in giving this resort 4 stars. So to assist others from making the same mistake let me provide my unbiased and honest opinion. I have been to phuket 4 times with young children and also solo and can offer the following.

The pros
1. Location of resort is great if you want to be in the heart of patong. It is a walk to all restaurants and shopping and a walk across the road to the very crowded and not very nice beach.

The cons
1. The rooms are average. Maybe if you were a couple and you stayed in the buskarom wing (no children allowed) you may think differently? As a family of 2 adults and a 2 year old and 4 year old, the rooms were not great. We wanted a family room or kids room but they were popular and hard to come by. There was a sewerage smell and balcony overlooking car park was dank and dirty. Not somewhere I would like to read and drink a cocktail. Room inside was ok in decor but definitely not 5*. Also not great to have shiny tiled floors with small kids.

2. The grounds and main pool. Nice but nothing amazing. I wouldn't be gushing about how great they are. The kids pool was tucked around the side and was pretty small. Kids club beside it was ok but small. Both my kids under 5 had to have a babysitter each (fairly standard across all resorts).

3. Cleanliness. The room was not that clean and we had to ask housekeeping to come back and spot clean some areas not up to par. We all got gastro staying here and I think given how contagious gastro is I would be extra vigilant with cleanliness. We did not have this issue at other resorts at the other times.

4. The beach. Don't book this if you are thinking you are going on a tropical holiday complete with white sands and blue water. The beach is very average and very busy. Not great for kids to swim.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank dansid33
layberry, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear "dansid33"

Thank you for taking the time to share such a constructive and detailed review and I am sorry that your stay with us was not everything that you hoped it would be. Your comments with regards the spot cleaning and the smell in your room are of particular concern and, as with all feedback we receive, we will take this as an opportunity to review the standards and training we have in place.

I do feel that some amount of clarification is required, however, as you have based your overall rating of your stay on the understanding that we are a five star hotel, which we are not. Holiday Inn as a brand operates a good standard of 4 star hotels, and while we believe our property to be at the higher end of this scale, we have never purported to be "five star". Furthermore, with reference to your description of Patong (which you have clearly not enjoyed), I believe that you could have easily ascertained the reality of the destination with regards the busyness and standard of the beaches with some simple research prior to your stay. In short, I believe that this was simply a case of Patong and the Holiday Inn Resort not being an ideal match for your particular needs and I would be very happy to assist in making recommendations for any future holiday with one of our wonderful InterContinental brand hotels which are located in truly luxury destinations throughout the region.

In the meantime, if there is anything else with which I may help or if you have nay further comments you would like to share I would appreciated if you contact me by email at morgan@holidayinn-phuket.com

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I travel almost twice a year to different resorts around the world. Moreover this is the first time I am writing a review, the big hearted hospitality forced me to do so. I haven't seen a resort which offers 1 mpbs speed on wifi and that too without a password, which works around the entire resort or a breakfast buffet which offers drinks (alcoholic).
I must say this is my third visit to Patong and the 3rd resort I am staying at, the location, the professionalism and the zeal to welcome guests will definitely bring me back to this awesome resort. Cheers...

Room Tip: If you are travelling with family always choose the deluxe room, pool facing in the main wing
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Varun J
layberry, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear "Varun J"

Thank you for sharing your "big hearted" review! I am really happy to read that you have been so impressed by the very positive attitude of the staff throughout the hotel and your feedback on the quality of the WiFi and the breakfast buffet is greatly appreciated. I do hope you will have the opportunity to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Have stayed here several times and have always had a great experience. I took family and friends back and they have also gone back to stay. Rooms are fantastic, clean and the back pool is so relaxing. The room service and staff are 10/10. We also like the location, nice and close to everything but so peaceful when you are in the resort.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear "Campaf"

Thank you for taking the time to share your review! I am really pleased that you have had another wonderful stay with us and your comments with regards the cleanliness of the guest rooms, the great pool facilities in the Busakorn Wing and our friendly staff are all very well received. We look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed here for a period of 5 days at the southend of Patong. Location is great, across is literally the beach and the other end are the markets. Near by Thai food.

I was on level 5, presentation on the level is well presented. Down below the foyer is quite large, plentiful of chairs and lounges. Every staff is kind, no hassle.

If you were to book tours or require more information it is on the right hand side of the reception desks, plenty of pamphlets & the lady will be more than happy to help.

Rooms were clean, majority of the people that are residing here temporarily are families (with plenty of kids!).

The pool is quite large with a bar in the middle to order your beverages. You know it's for children when the pool is less than 2 metres.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
layberry, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear "RaymondRyan"

Thank you for your "fantastic" review! I am really pleased that, overall, you have had a great stay with us and your feedback on the great location, the pool facilities and the cleanliness of the guest rooms is very well received. We hope to see you back again soon for another memorable stay!

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the pool access suites in busakorn wing Direct access to a pool for about 18 suites. Very good location at the south end of patong.
Breakfast is fantastic with choices from asia, egg station, danish, cold cut, even burgers, nuggets, etc... Lots of different juices.
Thai Restaurant is excellent with prices cheaper than by the beach, really authentic thai.
Room was large with a separate entrance. I would say only a bathtub was missing.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank JCGUILLOU

Dear "JCGUILLOU"

Thank you for your "great" review and I am delighted that you have had such a great stay in one of our beautiful Villa rooms! Your comments on the convenient location, the high standard of the breakfast and the great value of our restaurants are all very well received and we do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

In 2012 we decided to got married,the only problem was where too stay.
We had many great tripps to Thailand and therefor it was a no brainer ,that we should back to this amazing place.
We have stayed on Diamond cliff,Millenium,Novotel,and 4 others before,but these were the best so fare,so what to choose.
Our travel agency in Denmark Spies.dk said they got the Holiday Inn in Patong,a place we always dreamed of trying,so we decided to book 3 weeks there in feb marts of 2012.
we could only book the rooms in main wing in Denmark but we got a fair price with Mrs Paiwan to get an up-grade to Busakorn Wing,and WHAT A PLACE.
We stayed 3 weeks in room 1513 right in the middle and the room was amazing,the staff overall was THE BEST we ever meet,and trust us we have seen a lot.
The Breakfast was FANTASTIC and the restauranst inside the hotel had a good reputation so everything was ok.
One day my wife had an accident ,because of a leak in the aircondition in the room she slipped and hurt her leg,but within 5 minutes there were a nurse,a manager a housekeeper and 2 repairmen WOW thats fast.
The next day we went to the doktor,and luckely nothing bad had happend with her,
In the followings days we got champagne,flowers and a invitation too a party on the hotel,thats service going over the top,it was a accident NO ONE could see it happen but anyway,the hotel leading by the general manager Mr Meusburger,was amazing THANK YOU.
i KNOW its very late to write a little thing about this hotel,but we wrote a letter to the whole staff before we left,and hopefully they still have it,they deserved every bit of it.
So now its time to go back again ,and were looking forward to come back,and hopefully we can get our old room again,but thats a thing we will ask Mr Meusburger about.
So if ANYONE are thinking,is this hotel ok ,we can only say one thing YES GO FOR IT.
We know the main wing has got new rooms,but a tip if its possibel,and you want best wallue for money,go for the Busakorn Wing.
We will see you again in feb 2015,because its to late now,this year,but we cant wait
ALL THE BEST

Denmark

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lone K

Dear "Lone K"

Thank you for your very detailed feedback and kind comments! It is really wonderful to read that you are continually so well looked after by the staff here and your further comments on the fantastic breakfast, the high standard of our 4 restaurants and your overall experience in the Busakorn Wing are greatly appreciated. We look forward to seeing you back again next month - please let me know in the meantime if there is anything with which I can help!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was our second stay at the resort. We chose to return as we thoroughly enjoyed our previous stay. The resort is great with a beautiful pool, kids club, comfortable rooms and within close proximity to the buzzing nightlife of Bangla Rd. Breakfast was good, though extremely crowded on some days. I guess this was because we visited during the peak season. getting a pool lounger was also a problem on some days.
The only disappointment was the cleanliness of the rooms! There was mould clearly visible along the shower door which was rather disgusting and not what someone would expect when staying in a resort such as this. furthermore, some of the bathroom fixtures were rusted and scratched which I found totally unacceptable. I think the bathrooms are in serious need of an upgrade!
I would choose to stay at this resort again (in the hope that the bathrooms are upgraded) however for couples looking for a romantic get away this may not be the perfect place as there are just too many screaming children running around everywhere.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AtsIsm

Dear "AtsIsm"

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I am genuinely sorry that you have found the cleanliness in your bathroom to be far below par. The photos you have shared are very helpful and I can assure you that this is not the standard throughout the hotel, but rather an isolated case, and we will certainly take action accordingly. Your further comments with regards the breakfast, the comfort of the rooms and your overall experience are greatly appreciated. Please do stay in touch when you are planning your next visit and let me know how I can help!

morgan@holidayinn-phuket.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
#2 of 331 in Patong
Burasari Resort
Burasari Resort
#6 of 331 in Patong

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!