“Wanted to stay longer”

Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach
Ranked #17 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I stayed at the Merlin Beach Resort with a friend Pam from Sydney, between the 2nd - 9th Feb. We booked a pool access room. Our room was 4112 which was perfect. We booked this resort because of its location being away from Patong and a lot quieter, cleaner and smelling a lot nicer. There was fresh air and a cool sea breeze. Got to say Patong stinks of [-],but enjoyed the shopping and bars in the evening.
Taxi rides to Patong are 300 baht . There is the free shuttle service as well. We went mid - afternoon and shopped and drank until the 23:30 service collected us from the Patong Merlin Hotel. Tuk Tuks are only 200 baht back to the resort from Patong.
The staff in the resort were very friendly and very professional. We didn't have much of a problem with them speaking or understanding English.
The room we had was large, clean and in good order. The room safe was free. Every day we went for breakfast the room was cleaned by the time we got back. Pool towels are free to use within the resort and were changed once to twice a day.
Breakfast was the best. Lots to choose from, no complaints there. The buffet on the beach of an evening wasn't the most appetizing but we ate it. I had only one bad dish which I couldn't eat and that was in the cafe near the beach. Avoid the turkey & mango in curry sauce :-(. The late night cafe which is opened until 12 serves huge portions of desserts and makes lovely coffees. We ate up at the Little Tiger restaurant - wish I had gone there a few more times. Be careful of the tide as you can get cut off when leaving the Little Tiger late. Both Pam and I used the spa. I booked 2 treatments and got a third free. The prices were higher than outside the resort but the spa was pretty good. Staff again were professional. I felt good after my treatments. My friend used one of the massage huts on the beach which she found to be really good as well. Their laundry service was quick and clothes came back ironed and folded.
The company Tour East booked our excursions outside the resort. I would recommend the Phi Phi Island day trip, the sunset cruise and the elephant ride.
Whilst we were staying there a wedding was performed on the beach front garden. We weren't guests of the wedding but it looked like an ideal set up for that special day. They set up within no time and the flower arrangements were amazing. The wedding party was small but they seemed to have a really good time with dinner and dancing afterwards.
I would say the resort suits all people. Couples would be happier in the pool access area as this is away from families. Familes have a couple of pools to use and there is a kids' club. For a beach for swimming without rocks go outside the front of the resort across the road and down a track. The resort wasn't full but if it was you still wouldn't feel as though you are on top of each other as there was so much room. I've never seen so many chairs in one place.
I wish I could have stayed another week and will go back to the Merlin Beach again in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank mjs0209
Write a ReviewReviews (2,302)

Reviewed 23 February 2009

if you want quiet location,this hotel is perfect,a couple of miles away from Patong over the hill with its own beach set in lovely grounds.Although the beach is not the best, being quite rocky just across the way (5min walk)you have a perfect sandy beach, shallow and safe enough for the children, a couple of bars and even a massage.The hotel its self has 3 pools one with a swim up bar,a good choice of restaurants,but would also reccommend a little eating house left of the hotel walking for 10 min,prices very reasonable with great views
There is a free shuttle bus service running into Patong, with last pickup at 23.30 for those that want the nightlife or just shopping.
staff are
friendly and helpfull and made our stay very pleasant

1  Thank jonSomerset_uk
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I had read some of the more negative reviews of this Hotel prior to our departure from the UK and I was a little concerned that we may have made the wrong choice. I need not have worried; from our arrival to departure the experiences that we shared were all first class. The room was spacious, clean and well looked after while we were there. The pool complex and proximity to the beach and sea was wonderful. I am amazed to read that people found it impossible to swim in. When the tide was out, yes the coral was sharp on bare feet, but hey, wear some water shoes or flip-flops. We had no problems snorkelling at mid to high tide and saw some fantastic fish.
The family atmosphere was great. We travelled 'sans' kids (both at Uni) but the predominantly Scandinavian families were a delight! In fact all nationalities seemed to be enjoying the facilities mutually and it was so nice to mix with so many different groups.
Breakfast was very good, with a huge array of all sorts of fruit, cereals, meats, eggs juices etc etc. The service always helpful and attentive. I was surprised to read that some guests were amazed that English was not fluently spoken by all staff! We found that even if the language was not commonly shared, a little patience and miming went a long way!
Thoroughly recommend the Little Tiger restaurant, just off the beach and up the stairs. My wife would recommend the massage parlour at the foot of the stairs as well.
All in all a very lovely Hotel.

2  Thank Ian W
Reviewed 16 February 2009

Before staying at the merlin i had a few worries about the location but as soon as we got there and the 1st time into the market place in patong we were so happy that we were staying at the merlin because the smell and the craziness of patong got a bit hectic and when we finshed shopping etc it felt so good to come "Home" thats what we felt like at the merlin , the staff so happy and it felt like a family :)
The Little tiger resturant up on the hill oh my god is the best thai food ever and the massage girls down from then so nice had a massage and got my nails done there, get free water after and they did my hair twice for free vey nice ppl
A week into my trip i got really sick and its good to no that the merlin have a nurse to check up on you and see if i need to see doctor which i did but he came to my room which made it better, very helpfull thank you merlin for our wonderfull stay
we miss 4236 our lovely room :( ha ha
highly recomened it :)
i also recommend going to the phuket zoo it was amazing seeing tiger and having a photo also elephant and white water rafting was very good and if ur in phuket over a wkend dont forget the wkend markets in phuket very cheap!

2  Thank ilovemerlin
Reviewed 10 February 2009

This hotel was really lovely. We arrived at the hotel and from the lobby it looked really nice, we were just praying our rooms would match this. We were lucky it did. Our room was really nice. We had flowers on our bed and fruit in a basket when we arrived. The beds were so comfy and the bathroom was really nice. The view from our room was great, we looked onto the pool area which was so relaxing. The breakfast in the hotel was good and the lunch was nice too. We had dinner there only one night but that was really nice too and of an average price. We only stayed at this hotel for 5 nights but I would definitely recommend it. There was a lot going on there for kids. We used the shuttle bus a few times which we found convenient. We just got a taxi back which was easy enough. We would definitely stay at this hotel again although if you want to be right in the centre of where it all happens this hotel is slightly out of it, but we preferred that.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank HolidayqueenEssex
Reviewed 4 February 2009

We stayed at the Merling Beach in December for 18 nights. We had stayed here in December 2007 for 10 nights but loved it so much that we want to stay longer this trip.

We had a lovely room overlooking the sea. Our maid was really nice and the Bell Boys extremely helpful.

We ate at the Tiger Restaurant on the hill one night during our stay, but found the restaurants down the side streets in Patong just as good (if not better) and extremely reasonable.

Across the road from the main entrance to the hotel is a lovely beach with some small bars/restaurants - we ate here quite a few times and made friends with the staff - who were very friendly.
Also you can get the long boats here to other beaches and for snorkelling/sight seeing trips, plus jet ski hire. You must meet Mr Tong !!!

We have no complaints about this hotel whatsoever. Very peaceful after the hustle and bustle of Patong. Great breakfasts, lovely clean rooms, and very friendly staff. We will definitely be back again sometime.

The Emsons
England

6  Thank Emson
Reviewed 24 January 2009

We have just returned from the Merlin Beach Resort. We stayed for 8 days after visiting Krabbi and Khao Lak. As others have said the resort is stunning and the 3 pools are amazing. The complex was a lot larger than I imagined and whilst I found it as someone else has commented like a "large cruise ship " there was always a lot of activities going on. My first impression was that it is exactly like one of the many big all inclusive hotel which you get in the Dominican Republic. In fact one day they were playing calypso music in the beach bar I felt it could have been anywhere in the world and did not have much of a feeling of Thailand about it.

The beach was very rocky and you could not swim in it or walk in it without cutting your feet. There is however a long boat that leaves the beach at regular intervals which takes you to Freedom Beach which is the next beach and is absolutely lovely. This cost 300 Baht return. When you book you are asked what time you want to return and are promptly picked up. The beach is only 5 minutes away.

The only problems with the resort is that is seemed quite expensive to eat and drink there. Some nights in the lobby bar the band would have an audience of half a dozen people and one night there were only two people watching them. Also the shuttle bus into Patong is not very regular. ( one of the reasons we booked this hotel was because it had a shuttle bus) Having stayed previously at a hotel in Koh Samui where the shuttle bus went every half hour we were surprised by this The bus in the evening went at 4.45 pm and then it did not go into Patong again until 9.30 pm. Although I did not want to be in Patong I was surprised how far out of Patong it was.

If you get a Taxi at night it costs you 200 Baht each way and over the course of a week it adds up to quite a lot extra on your holiday.

The resort itself is lovely and if you like a big hotel with lots going on this is the one for you. If like me you like to stay somewhere which has the feeling of traditional Thailand then I would not recommend this hotel to you.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank seym7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 331 in Patong
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket
Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa

Been to Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach? Share your experiences!