“Terrific resort”

Patong Merlin Hotel
Ranked #32 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The Patong Merlin Hotel is simply superb! Situated across the road from the beautiful Patong Beach, it is close enough to the action but not so close that you can't escape. After staying there for 10 nights across March and April, here is my opinion:

The grounds/location
Patong Merlin is situated on the quieter side of Patong Beach; about a 5-10 minute walk to busy Bangla Road. We enjoyed being on the quieter end, but were never far away from all necessary amenities - shops/restaurants/bars etc.

The grounds are immaculately well-kept, with beautiful palm trees everywhere and luscious green lawns. You feel as if you are nestled in the jungle at times, instead of in the middle of one of Phuket's busiest areas.

There are 4 swimming pools in this resort, all a very decent size. My only complaint is that three of the four pools were not kept cool enough to be refreshing on a hot day. Given that March is a very hot and humid month in Patong and all pools are not shaded, this can probably be overlooked. The fourth pool (in the new wing) is very refreshing because it is in the shade. All pools and pool areas are kept immaculately clean, and even though the resort was pretty busy while we were there, we were always able to find a sun lounger.

Room
My boyfriend and I stayed in a superior room in the older wing that overlooked the pool. For the price we paid this was a very good room; spacious clean and comfortable. The shower was better than our shower at home and the king size bed was very comfortable. The balcony that overlooked the pool was the perfect spot to relax in the afternoon. Unlike other Patong resorts we have stayed in, our room didn't come with a DVD player. The room was made up every day by a very friendly lady who went out of her way to make our stay as comfortable as possible.

Service/atmosphere
Before booking this hotel I read a few reviews that complained about the attitudes of Patong Merlin staff and I hate to say it, but their comments were spot on. Aside from the friendly lady who cleaned our room, the staff at Patong Merlin are definitely not nearly as friendly as other resorts. Hardly any of them smile which is very unusual for Thailand, but they do manage an occasional greeting or thank you. Luckily, the lack of friendliness doesn't wreck your stay because the atmosphere in the resort still manages to be terrific.

The breakfast buffet was delicious every morning. The breakfast area is huge, so there's always a chance of a comfortable table. There are also plenty of staff on duty during breakfast, and although unfriendly, they do serve you well. There is great variety in the breakfast (fruit, bacon, eggs, pastries, Thai dishes, salads, French toast etc.) and everything is steaming hot or fresh.

My boyfriend and I found the quality of other meals at the resort to be mixed. While the poolside lunches are delicious, the room service meals are very average - weird considering they probably come from the same kitchen. The hotel also serves up a dinner buffet every night (extra charge) which was pretty disappointing. We wouldn't recommend it as the food was bland and we both felt a little crook the next day.

I would definitely recommend the Patong Merlin Hotel to anyone looking for a reasonably priced, comfortable, high-quality resort in Patong. Whether you're travelling as a couple, family, or group of friends, the Patong Merlin will suit your expectations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank HayliePretorius

Reviewed 1 April 2013

I am traveling since 30 years in Thailand and can tell you this hotel is overprized. The pools are great but the water of our pool was constantly over 30 degrees because they do not put fresh water in the pool so if you want to cool down go to your room and have a shower. The light wires around the pools are laying on the earth instead of under the earth, this is dangerous, especially for children. I have booked a room for a guest for three days, unfortunately my guest had a heartattack one week before coming, the management was not ready to refund any money, i said why don't youngive me some vouchers for the buffet or a dvd in the room instead of a refund, this was refused by the management which was not even ready to talk to me directly but went always through the reception. Don't expect an extra mile in the service. Some of the staff are very helpfull but some other are lazy and do not even speak english. This hotel wants your cash and is not ready to give you a friendly and familiar service. As I said no extra mile.

Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank rodizio1
Reviewed 1 April 2013

My girlfriend and i ( 45 & 50 ) stayed here in Feb 2013 , the pools are great and the pool with the bar is away from the main pools so its good if you dont want lots of people and kids around while you are relaxing . The rooms are fine nothing to write home about but nothing to really complain about either . I think they should air the rooms out before you arrive . The main thing about this hotel is its location its great in the middle of everything so a couple of minutes walk to anything you want but once you are in the hotel it is quiet . We stayed at the Merlin Beach last year but would now pick the Patong Merlin just for pure convenience no having to barta for took tooks to get to and from your hotel i dont think we used a took took at all this time. If you are wanting a dentist the one in the hotel is great and has an excellent reputation . Also if looking for a jeweller just around the corner is P & C Jewellers , i can not recommend them highly enough bought several items off them and had things made and posted to us after we had left both rings arrived exactly when he said they would not that i had any doubt they would they were extremely nice helpful people .So dont hesitate to order something and have it sent if he doesnt have the time to make it while you are there ... Like us who went back and ordered more our last day ... Don't forget to take your old jewellery with you to have melted down .

Room Tip: Unless paying for a pool access room i wouldnt bother paying extra for the new building
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Michelle D
Reviewed 29 March 2013

My daughter and i loved this hotel. We stayed here 9th march till 23rd March 2013. We had a delux pool view room. will be rebooking here for next year. the air con was great, we slept under the doona every night. The breakfast was fantastic, the staff were so friendly, the pool guys that bring u your cocktails and lunch are all fantastic :-) loved the pools... all four of them :-) The hotel is so close to everything, close to the otop market, 10 minute walk to Bangla road and Jungcylon shopping centre. After shopping we would go back to the hotel pool for a swim, it was so quiet and relaxing :-) highly reccommend this hotel :-)

Room Tip: we chose a delux pool view room,it was really quiet where we were. next year i will opt for a cheape...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank jansywansy
Reviewed 27 March 2013

The staff greeted us with a refreshing drink as we were checking in, Location is great it is just a short walk to bangla road, junceylon shopping centre & if you walk past all the pools in the hotel you will find yourself across the road from the beach! There is a convenience shop right across the road and the cafe across the road 'oasis' has great food and free wifi.
My mother and i stayed in one room and my 2 sisters in the room next to ours.
My mother and i found no fault with our hotel room, after 8 nights the hotel cleaners even realised i like sleeping with my own extra blanket so each day they would place it ontop of the bed perfectly for me.
My sister on the other hand did find blood on her pillow 1 night and blood on her blanket the next... She was not bleeding.. maybe the cleaner was... disturbing!
Breakfast was nice, there is a man who makes eggs outside tucked away behind the tables by the pool.
Nice hotel, loved the service.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Abenson1990
Reviewed 23 March 2013

As a travel agent this property is my preferred choice of hotel in Patong Beach and this was also my third stay, I have stayed at other properties but this gets my attention mostly due to its location at the south end of Patong Beach. I can walk out the rear of the property and there are money exchangers, chemists, markets and Circle K shops for supplies. 100m up the road is Hard Rock Café and then across the road from there is the night markets with a plethora of gazebo mini bars for the adventurous who wants to meet the locals.

Out beach side of the property in Patong Beach itself across the road (similar to Kuta Beach) …I am not a fan of swimming Patong Beach, if you ever get up early enough in the morning on low tide you will also agree. This takes me back to the Resort, several swimming pools and all very large and there is never an effort trying to find a cabana to soak up the sun and by the deluxe area you have the swim up pool bar which is a must in my eyes for any Asian resort.

I always grab the Superior Pool View rooms, great size balcony and the room are a generous size too… if you can upgrade yourself to the Deluxe Pool View do this as the room are more modern and a little quieter however you need a pack lunch to get to them, there are also Pool Access rooms in this same wing.

Breakfast is good with a large variety of foods from local to Western, dinners are themed most nights but they still also have Al la carte… not many guests seem to dine at their hotel like most other properties due to the amount of options on Patong Beach. Bangalore Road is a 15 minute walk from the hotel if you want to see all the crazies… get yourself to the Tiger Bar Phuket for more locals. On the western side of Thanon Ratuthit Road in the middle of Patong Beach there is a shopping mall that would take a day to explore, if you’re not into haggling this is the best place to shop for quality goods… check out Burger King here, I have had the best Whopper here anywhere in the world.

Overall I would recommend this resort to anyone, it prices well! Staying from 01APR through to 30OCT room rates are generally spay 1 stay 2 (e.g. stay 12 pay 6) but this is the norm for most properties during the low season, travelling outside these dates will see the costing rise significantly due winter in Europe and the flood the Thai market especially the Russians. If you are a family of 4/5 then you will need 2 rooms and I have never had an issue with requests for interconnecting/adjoining rooms.

If you would like to know more information on this poroperty please message me through TripAdvisor.

Room Tip: Grab a Superior Pool View room opposed to the straight Superior.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
12  Thank lapewesq
Reviewed 21 March 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, good b'fast , big & clean room , 4 pools , suitable for family . I have been stay in patong Merlin more than 5 times ... Children like the hotel so much and is safe for kids as well. My next trip again this year will be nov..
Patong Merlin here we come ....

• Stayed: December 2012