“Phuket's Best Resort!!”

Ranked #8 of 319 Hotels in Patong
Southport, Australia
“Phuket's Best Resort!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

Sadly, today is our last day at Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa. My husband, daughter and I have had the most relaxing and luxurious 10 days at Avista.  Indeed, other guests we met have had the same experience, many of them advising that they will be booking in again next year!

There are so many good things we must share about Avista, that I have categorised it all under sub-headings

Arrival:
We arrived at the ungodly hour of 1am (4am hour time), but staff were there ready and waiting with their now, signature juice, cold towels and orchid leis. As it was late and raining, they quickly showed us to our room and explained all the features of the room (including the central control panel for lighting and air-conditioning) and left us to sleep in the most comfortable beds ever.

Location:
The hotel is located on the hill south of Patong Beach. A 5 minute taxi/shuttle away from the buzz of Patong - enough to escape the noise and craziness, but still close enough for when you feel like hitting the town for some shopping and night life. The hotel shuttle is free and runs every 2 hours, however the taxis are TB300 (around AUD $10) and ready to go when you are.

You can also get a free shuttle to the local and private Paradise Beach where you pay TB100 to enter and have access to free umbrellas & lounges. There is a beach front restaurant there also, plus a masseuses offering very inexpensive massages. Worth a trip there if you want to feel the sand between your toes. Go early in the day to ensure your secure a good position on the beach!

Rooms:
As we were traveling with our daughter we opted for the Family Vista room which had a King & Queen size bed and amazing view of the pool, ocean, hillside and of course, sunsets.  Couples can opt for spa rooms and or rooms sitting right next to the pool, but we still enjoyed our room with its view and easy access to the pools

Pools:
There are three pools at the resort. One adults only (which we did not visit, having a child with us) and two others that are both luxurious infinity pools with swim up bars where you can order the most divine pool side snacks and inexpensive cocktails TB250 (about AUD $8).

Food & Beverage:
The Breakfast buffet in the resort is as good as any 5 star Sydney restaurant. The selection, presentation and quality is all top notch. Everything from freshly made omelettes and eggs any way you want them; made to order Asian stir fries; freshly squeezed juices; salads; cheeses; breads and pastries. It's all there and open 6.30am-10.30am

The poolside snacks are wonderful. Our favourites were the Vietnamese Seared Tuna Rice Paper Rolls;   Chicken Satays; Cajun Chicken & Mango Salad; Spicy Thai Beef Salad and Caesar Salad. The pizzas were also crispy and thin, the way they should be. The kids menu was also a hit - 'Chicken Little' being the favourite of our little guest.

While we could often have headed out to Patong for dinner, we found ourselves having dinner in-house as there was such a wide selection and it was of such a high standard. After 10 days you would think we would be sick of it, but we constantly found new items to try. Fresh pasta, local Thai style meals, Salads; Steaks and Burgers.

Staff:
This venue is only 8-months old, yet the staff who (for many this is their first job in hospitality) go well out of their way to ensure you have everything you want/need. Contrary to earlier posts, I found their command of English to be totally acceptable - we are in Thailand after all (!!) and I found that if ever there was a language block, a few simple gestures and a smile would see the message getting across.

Special mention must go to 'Bong' the F&B manager. He is so professional and passionate about ensuring your food and service is top notch. Also to his team. There are so many of them to name, but Tom & May thank you for your roof top bar cocktails and smiles; Neung, Jeff and Suraket, your poolside cocktails and service were also very much appreciated. Anchalee, your service and friendly hug goodbye will not be forgotten.

Of course, Tim the head chef, should also be commended on his diverse menu and the quality of food his team is pumping out each day. It is high quality and consistent.

Medical Support:
Unusual to add this in this as a topic, but I felt I must as an earlier post implied there was not enough support in this area. My experience is quite the opposite.

After getting a little too much sun on our third day here, I found myself passing out before dinner was even served to us in the restaurant. A mild case of sunstroke became more of a concern as I fell and hit my head on the hard tile floor. Naturally, this was frightening experience for my family and the staff present, as it appeared I had a minor case of concussion, but after careful observation, I was whisked back to my room to rest in a wheel chair and the Duty Manager advised that they had a car on standby to take me to the hospital should my condition worsen.  Luckily and thankfully, after a good nights rest, I was 'good as gold' the next day, but the staff were all so keen to check up on me, many stopping to enquire how I was - even days later.

Booking:
We booked via myholiday.com.au which was very handy as we booked a week prior to coming here and got a fantastic last minute rate, however you can also book here via Travel Advisor where there are still some amazing deals. So don't delay book your next Phuket holiday at Avista, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank LisaMareeLees
GM_Avista_Hideaway, General Manager at Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Dear LisaMareeLees,

Greetings from Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa.

We are delighted you all enjoyed your stay with us and found the Resort so appealing. We do feel we have a very special property and when we receive such positive and detailed feedback as yours it is always an honour.

I don't think I can add anything more to comment on your review as you have covered all aspects of a guests stay even the Medical Support which can be important to many travelers. We do have our natural remedy Doctor in house and also work together with several local doctors to ensure we have any medical situations covered.

We have shared your feedback with all staff and it certainly motivates us to continue to provide the best service we can.

We do hope to see you all again in the near future.

Avista Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

My wife and I had stayed here for five nights and we enjoyed every minute of it. I'll start with the bottom line: if you're looking for a luxury resort, perfect service, great location, incredible rooms and unbelievable view - don't waste any more time looking. This is your place.

Location: The hotel is NOT located immediately on Patong beach but rather on a hillside, about 5 minute drive from the main streets of Patong. This gives the hotel two great advantages: first, it is very very quiet; wherever you walk, all you hear are birds and the waterfalls from the pools. Second, it has an unbelievable view of the bay and tree-covered hills. You see this view from the pool, dining room, spa and parctically everywhere you go.

Shuttles: For those of you who are concerned that the hotel is too far from beach, fear not.The resort offers FREE shuttle service to and from Patong about six times a day, every two hours until 11:00 pm. Just make sure to register at guest services in the morning to make sure you'll have a spot. My wife and I used the shuttles every day and were very satisfied with the service. If, however, you don't want to use a shuttle, it only costs about 300 Baht ($10) with a taxi.

Service: I would have given it 6 stars if I could. From the moment we set foot at the hotel we realized that this place has set for itself to provide a top of the line service. As we arrived, we were treated with cold drinks, snacks and endless smiles. We had arrived from a very early flight (around 8:00 am) and our room was not ready yet. Robert, who welcomed us, made everything he could to make our stay comfortable until our room was ready. He gave us a tour of the resort in a mini "golf cart", showed us the different room types in case we wanted to upgrade or downgrade and after consulting with the manager, he offered us free buffet breakfast which was exactly what we needed at the moment. With an almost perfect English (rather rare in this area of Thailand) Robert gave us all the tips and tricks of where and what to do in Patong, what is the expected weather and how to make the best of our stay in the resort. But it did not stop with Robert. Everyone at the hotel are extremely polite and are always trying to help with a smile.

Rooms: We stayed at the Jacuzzi Suite which has an outdoor Jacuzzi. The room looks great with a bath tub and a huge shower. Since our room was not ready when we arrived we were offered to see a room with a private pool at a discounted upgrade price. The private pool room looked even better, with a huge bathroom and cool private pool. We did not upgrade as it was too expensive and we preferred the "public" pools anyways. At retrospect the Jacuzzi Suite is really nice, however we almost did not use the Jacuzzi and there is no view from the room. Next time I'd give up on the outdoor Jacuzzi for a room with a better view.

Food: Excellent for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Make sure to include breakfasts in your reservation, you will not regret it. We had lunch and diner once and the food was very good. We had the chance to chat a couple of times with Tim the Executive Chef and it is obvious this man has set himself a goal to provide his guest the perfect culinary experience. My wife had a private Thai cooking class (about $40) where she chose to learn how to cook papaya salad, Tom Kah soup and Chicken Pad Thai. Highly recommended!

What else?: There are three pools, one of which for adults only. All have amazing view and are very quiet. The gym is well equipped and open throughout the day. There's also a room with ping-pong and pool tables.

What could have made our stay even better? It was nice to have the shuttles going to and from Patong beach every hour instead of every two hours. Also, be advised that the hotel permits smoking in the outdoor dining area and around the pools, if that is something that bothers you. Lastly, be advised that the hotel is located on a hillside and it may take you a while to walk to and from the room and would also require you to climb many stairs. You can however call the lobby and ask for a ride if you're too tired/lazy:).

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AI0n
Dear Al0n,

Greetings from Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and it is an honour to know you think so highly of our Resort. We do feel we have a very special property and staff and to receive such high recommendations is truly satisfying.

Chef Tim is delighted you enjoyed his food, he takes a lot of pride in his work and does make a point of talking to guests to get feedback on the taste etc. to ensure he keeps the standards as high as possible.

We have now ordered 2 new coaches for the shuttle service which can hold many more people so we do hope any issues will be resolved.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience and we do hope to see you again soon.

Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel at Easter this year and have only just got around to poisting the review as we have just returned from another Thai resort that purports to have 5 stars but didn't live up to expectations whereas when we visited the Avista in March 2013 our expectations were relatively low but I am pleased to say they were exceeded even though this is a new hotel. Now that we have the 2 resorts to compare we have just cancelled our third trip to another resort in October and re-booked into the Avista.

The Buena Vista family room was very nice with an extra queen sized bed rather that the kids sleeping on camp beds as they did earlier this month in Khao Lak.

Yes the kids club is quiet but my 2 children aged 5 and 6 loved it and couldn't wait to go every day. Some of the staff were incredibly new and poorly trained but everyone tried so hard and I am sure they are all top notch now. Special commendation to Tim the chef who was very eager to ensure we had excellent food (even some off menu) and also the pool barman. We normally eat out at least once a day when on holiday but we were happy to eat in mostly at the hotel.

The spa is terribly expensive which is a shame even with the discount that was offered. We had been pre-warned about the taxi mafia but we only experienced good trips with them.

All in all we had a great holiday and will return in October with my parents and friends for a group holiday this time.

Room Tip: Poo view rooms are best
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Marshyfamily,

Greetings from Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met all your expectations. We are so so glad to know you are coming back in October and look forward to seeing you and the Children again.

I do believe the staff are getting better day by day and our constant training ensures they can deliver the best service possible.

I do hope you will be able to experience the Spa this time and when you arrive I am sure we can find a suitable treatment for you with our Ayurveda Doctor we do have some more promotions on now and we will make sure we provide a special rate for you.

We have passed on your comments to the staff and Chef Tim thanks you for the comments.

We look forward to seeing you all again in October.

Kind Regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Stayed in this hotel during 18th to 21st July. The room I chose was jacuzzi suite. Love the location as it gives peace to relax. Also nice jungle and sea view.

Pro
1. Love the jacuzzi n big neat room. The amenities are great, new and attentive as flip flops, bags and towels are all prepared for beach lovers. However, the jacuzzi seems not clean enough.

2. A nice big surprise of the mosquitoes and bugs control as I don't see any mosquitoes during my stay in this hill forest located resort. Well done.

3. Great pools with magnificent views.

4. Have a nice dinner. Also, the breakfast consists of wide selection of food especially pastry. But the taste is 5 stars standard in my opinion. But I do love the stir fried noodle and veggie section which is special and efficient for a long queue. The stir- fried vegetable is tasty and is the only dish that I can finish all and ordered a second round.

Cons

1. I was really sick during the first two days as the unclean stuff I ate in bangkok. Then I met with the doctor of the resort. He was really attentive to coms to my room and check on my conditions. As I had countless diarrhea and vomit, I obviously had an infection but all he did was giving my a coconut and some powder to replenish glucose and electrolytes. He kept telling me I would get well soon but actually, i was hoping for some formal medicine. after 1 hour, I had a fever that made me coundnt leave my bed. My bf called the front desk to ask doctor to come again. But after more than half a hour he didn't show up n he called again. They answered he was in a meeting n would come later. I think they should handle it better by telling me proactively. I don't rmb how long I hv waited doctor came to check on my condition again and gave me medicine which is work for the fever. But my diarrhea remains and I hv to go to patong town buy medicine by myself at night. I understand there are lots medical constraints in resort but I did ask if I need to go to hospital. All I want is just clear advice but still thx for his care.

2. the staffs are overall quite nice and friendly with smile, especially those from f&b who are helpful. But their english levels gotta be improved as its always difficult for them to understand simple orders. But their courtesy can definitely make up for that. Maybe due to the language barrier, they are not as proactive as I expected. When I was really sick and asking for hospital information from them, I didn't get any concern which was a bit disappointing.

3. More lamps installed near the stairs would be lovely as its a bit dark to look clearly on the stairs at nights.

Overall it's a really nice resort but my experience is not as satisfactory as I expected.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank jennsct
GM_Avista_Hideaway, General Manager at Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Jennsct,

Greetings from Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa.

We are delighted that you found the Resort appealing, we do have many facilities available which our guests find of very high standard. We are also glad you enjoyed the food served in the resort Our Chef, Tim tries to ensure we provide a wide range of dietary options to suit our guests needs and he personally ensures that he meets with most guests and is delighted when they are happy and satisfied.

I am sorry to hear that you found our Doctors' service and response was below your expectation. Our Doctor is always available to consult on emergency health issues. However, he is a holistic and wellness practitioner , who specialises in holistic well being. We apologize if you assumed that he is a practicing Doctor who prescribes medicine and treatments of ailments as this is most certainly not the case ,which , we believe was explained to you. As with all resorts , we do not issue prescription medicine to any of our guests for their own safety as we are not aware of their medical history nor are we licensed to follow such a practice. We do offer natural remedies which from a wellness and better health perspective if our guests so desire at their own free will. We do always recommend that guests see a Doctor stationed in Phuket for any serious illnesses and also arrange for a local Doctor to Visit the Resort or ,alternatively transport a guest to visit the hospital, if requested. We undertake this in association with a local hospital and is offered to all guests who stay at the resort ,at their own expense.

I do apologise if the Doctor was unable to attend to you expediently on your second call as he was attending to some other guests at the Spa and came as quickly as possible .This ,however, should have been communicated to clearly and we will certainly look to improve in this regard.

We are glad you found the staff friendly and do realise the English language may not be up to a very high standard with all staff. We do hold weekly English classes and are constantly improving the level of communication.

Again ,we would like to thank you for sharing your experience and we have passed your comments on to all staff concerned for follow up , training and further improvement.

We do hope that you have recovered completely. Please accept our wishes for good health and happiness in the years to come.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

WOW.
My boyfriend, Mike, and I stayed at Avista for two nights and three days. We dedicated a month of backpacking in Thailand but after a 3 day trek in Thailand we were ready to get really clean and just relax.

Avista was the perfect gateway (Hence, their name - they are bang on, correct) because you will get treated like a queen or king once you are there.

As soon as you arrive, you are given a complimentary fruit and beverage and will be mesmerized by the view. The architecture of this hotel is so unique that you feel like it is a place for royalty. Everything is well maintained and after filling out a detailed form about your preferences...30 minutes later someone will be at your door with your preferential tea, pillow (we chose memory foam so we could really feel our heads sink into the pillow) and much more.

Our room was great, incredible view, option to alter the lights in the room to suite our mood, incredible waterfall shower with complimentary robes, slippers and the cut out window that looks from our bedroom into our washroom and vice-versa.

The restaurant at Avista is incredible with not only outstanding staff that will tend to your every need but the most friendly people. Shout out to Netty who was one of our favourite waitresses because of how kind she was and knowledgeable about different dishes.

The bar and view Avista has, especially when you want to ensure you capture the Thailand sunset, was amazing. Avista has everything, we had the opportunity to meet Chef Tim who then took us to the top of Avista where private dinners are usually set up and the view was incredible. It truly showed us the care Avista management has put into making sure their customers are happy, get to know Avista and in turn get to know us very well.

Other managers took the opportunity to spend time to get to know us and shared a "Useful phrases to know in Thailand" booklet for us to maneuver ourselves around Thailand with ease after Avista and also mosquito repellent because we ran out.

The computer room with macs was also amazing to utilize because prior we were trying to upload pictures on internet cafes etc but these computers were fast, new and great to use. Not to mention the library of books, we both fell in love with books we found there.

The pool was great, we used all three but our favourite was the one in front of the restaurant - the infinity view there is amazing, not to mention the swim up pool bar. We spent one day just tanning relaxing, swimming and chilling with the best bartender at Avista: KRISADA.

At night, we took advantage of the movie rental service and also the room service with popcorn and ice cream. The spa is also amazing, I got a facial and Mike got a massage.

We felt like kings and queens and there's more...

As the cherry on top of the cake - we mentioned to Avista that we were celebrating our 2 year anniversary and on our last night, they surprised us with champagne, a cake and a card from management. It was delivered by a man who knew he was surprising us and had the biggest smile on his face.

Avista is family now to us, as another home but because of our lifelong friends.
We cannot wait to go back and wanted to make sure everyone knew how incredible this place is.

We miss it everyday and some of our favourite memories will always be Avista.
We are from Canada and whenever we come across something that represents luxury, we say out loud: "Reminds us of Avista, doesn't it?"

Please go. It is quiet, but it is perfect for a honeymoon, to just relax from backpacking or just to experience luxury.

Let us know how it is!
And say hello to all the managers, Chef Tim, Robert (Butler), Netty (Waitress) and Krisada (Bartender)!!!
We haven't forgot!

- Rachel and Mike.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CanadaRachelandMike
Dear CanadaRachelandMike

Greetings from Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa,

Many thanks for your sharing your wonderful experience online. It is such a great honor to know we managed to make such an impression on our Guests. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we enjoyed taking care of you both on such as special occasion.

We do feel that our property is a unique Resort in terms of location and architecture. A lot of thought was put into the design of the property and as you so kindly commented the final result is something spectacular.

Netty is delighted that you mentioned her, she enjoyed looking after you both. Krisada, Robert, Chef Tim and the other staff are also grateful for the glowing comments.

We have shared your feedback with all the staff and it keeps us motivated to providing the best service we can to ensure our guests have a truly memorable stay.

Congratulations once again on your anniversary and we look forward to having you back at the Resort in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stayed at Avista for 5 nights, and it was a very enjoyable stay! The bathroom was great, with a separate walk-in shower and bath tub. The bed was soft and I loved the fact that we were given a choice of pillows from the pillow menu. We looked forward to breakfast every day (the veggie stir fry is amazing), and made full use of the facilities - the games room, the swimming pools and the gym. We drove and the hotel had complimentary parking, which we really appreciated. If I had to nit pick, I would say that the finishings of this hotel aren't the best, as parts of the common area were starting to show signs of wear and tear. But I enjoyed my stay at Avista very much, and would highly recommend this place to any one who is thinking of visiting Phuket.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank huesofgrey
GM_Avista_Hideaway, General Manager at Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear huesofgrey,

Greetings from Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the room and facilities so appealing. We do like to make our Guests stay as comfortable as possible and as you pointed out offer a choice of pillows as well as mattress firmness to ensure you get the best nights sleep possible.

It is nice to know that you managed to use so many of our great facilities. Chef Tim and his team are delighted you enjoyed the quality and choice at breakfast.

We are constantly striving to keep the Resort in top condition and our engineering department carries out regular maintenance around the entire property. We will certainly try to improve in some areas to ensure we keep the property looking as new as possible.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we do hope to see you again in the future.

Avista Management.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

We have stayed at Avista in July. Read all the reviews beforehand. We chose this hotel to celebrate our anniversary. Beautiful setting, great staff, excellent location. The free shuttle to Patong is great - I do see a problem in peak season, but for us it worked very well seeing that it was low season. We had a problem with our first room and without hesitation they upgraded us to another room. Special thanks to BoomBim - her customer service skills are excellent! She went out of her way to assist us!!

The breakfast was excellent! Too much to choose from! We also did a Thai cooking class with the hotel, highly recommended!!! Definitely a highlight during our stay!

The only disappointment that we had was that we had to fill out a form upon arrival to stipulate any special occasions - which was our anniversary. Nothing was done to make our day special - I have read in previous posts that guests received a cake or something on their special day to congratulate them. Apart from this, I cannot fault anything.

The pool bars were a treat as well! Loved the cocktails! Will recommend this hotel the everyone!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Buena Vista room and were upgraded later. Both excellent. Ask for a pool view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 161Lynnie
Dear 161Lynnie,

Greetings from Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for commenting on K. Boombim's service, we are proud to have such a great team of staff here at the Resort and it always motivates us when we receive such positive feedback.

Chef Tim and his team are glad you enjoyed the quality of the Breakfast and also the cooking class, we hope you are able to impress your friends back home with your traditional recipe now you know the secrets...

I apologise for the initial room problem and am glad it was resolved quickly, I am also truly sorry that you did not receive Champagne and a Cake on your special day. We do like to celebrate with our guests and you should have received this on the day. I do hope we have a chance to rectify this on your next visit. We will certainly take more care to ensure we do not miss anyone's special day in the future.

We have passed on your feedback to all the staff and thank you for recommending us to your friends, we will certainly take good care of them.

We look forward to seeing you again and congratulations from all of us on your Anniversary, we do hope it was a memorable time for you both.

Avista Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 319 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,183 reviews

Been to Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel? Share your experiences!