“no, thanx...”
Review of The Marq

The Marq
Ranked #63 of 225 Speciality Lodging in Patong
Reviewed 9 March 2014

At the beginning the hotel seemed to be adequate in comparison with it's price. But after our room safes were robbed (two different rooms) the attitude of the personnel was horrible. No help at all for someone who have just lost all the money in their hotel using their security safe! Cannot recommend based on safety and services expirience....

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank Alex T
The_Marq, Owner at The Marq, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

When providing information one should not leave out major details that change the story.
1. We never called the police. Because of our (my staff and ) involvement in the local community (ie volunteer firefighters, volunteer paramedic etc) my staff an I have know many local emergency personnel. We called directly to one of Phuket top law officials. What would be the equivalent of the FBI.
2. Did you not notice everyone who was dispatched to the hotel was plain cloths (under cover) vs the people you spoke to in the police station in uniform.
3. This also would explain why when you felt the security cameras were not downloading quicly enough and called the tourist police they did nothing. Once you said you had been to the police station, they called to verify details and found out you were being handled by a department way above them.
4. We did nothing to help? In addition to my staff calling the FBI something very few hotels could do. We provided you with our personal motor bikes to go the police station to fill out the necessary paper work
5. Neither one of you could provide any evidence that you had made a withdraw of money in the amount you claimed was in the safe.
6. We provided you footage of select video cameras. The FBI had access to all cameras and could identify where all staff was during the time the cameras went out. Due to interference they go out sometimes. (They are Internet cameras so a guest downloading a movie can knock one camera off.)
7. You personally saw that anytime any staff was in your room the door was left open leaving little opportunity for any misdoing on their part.
8. After the law officials used video software to aid in their investigation they could identify that none of the staff were ever in the room with the door closed. They also saw all the cameras and the time frame. When camera 11 went down all staff were accounted for in other parts of the building. Every floor has multiple cameras. It's impossible to go from one floor to the next without being detected.
9. The FBI told you they could not call her in because of their findings. They did provide you an opportunity for them to call her in on your behalf. But you opted not to exercise this option. Furthermore they informed you I was unable to call her in because of her rights under Thai Law.
10. I believe the FBI told you (the same as they told me) that their investigation proved no wrong doing of any staff member. It is their belief that this was a scam for insurance purposes. Had I called the tourist police at first you would have been held for further questioning and possible arrest. But this is outside their interest.

The report you left the hotel with, the same one I've provided to TripAdvisor documents all these finding.

There are newer reviews for The Marq

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have in my room paper where is info about security safe. Information say get your valuable and money to security box. I use it, and safe there my ID, camera,ipod and money 1400 USD. Day before check out I found out my money was stolen, exactly 900 USD. I dont understood why onlypart, but thats it. Other think happened in brothers room, they wasrobbed to, exactly same but not all ( he has different room on different flore )
Manager and receptionist almost smaling to our face and after 2 hours call police. In police station we wrote protocol and go to our hotel whit detectiv. Hotel start downloading video and we must wait 6 hour to see 35 hour when the accidant happened. Manager dont care, he doesnt call staff and doesnt do anything for us. On video is 15 minuts black out, bud when we show the stuff they dont care. No one go this hotel if you are psychic alright and let them pay for this!!!!
Seriasly, dont go this hotel anymore, they stole our money and know we leaving a we cant do nothing for justice.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Marek N
The_Marq, Owner at The Marq, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Think of it 2 brothers, 2 rooms, same day both getting 900 taken from the safe. Neither can prove they had any cash either from bank withdraws or exchange of travelers checks.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Loved my stay at The Marq. Really good rooms for a cheap price, very clean and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful. If you're looking for great budget accommodation then I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The staffs are very nice and friendly. Even sometimes we found hard in communication they were so patient.
The rooms are very cozy and the facilities are unexpecting, great!
the location is a bit far from the crowded area (like around bangla road) so I guess you'll sleep peacefully.
For us that were not used to walk, it's still oke when we're going to the beach, but it's a bit tiring in a way back to the hotel.
I don't know exactly but I think it needs about 10-15 minutes walk to bangla road.
What a pity that this hotel didn't give a breakfast but
there is a cafetaria if you want to eat or there is seven eleven near here.
There is free wifi in this hotel, but sadly the signal was not good when we enter the room, so last time we must get out from the room to get signal.
Overall I like this hotel and make me want to comeback again someday

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank jatiningrum
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I highly recommend the Marq hotel. I stayed there for 3 months and was able to see a lot of Patong because of the information the friendly staff gave me. It felt like coming home after a busy day exploring the area and hitting the beaches. The rooms are modern and there was no problem getting fresh towels everyday. I rented out a motor bike from them without any problems. One of the employees "Big" makes great mixed drinks and sometimes they have specials going on in there bar type setting in the lobby. Take advantage of that! I know that they went through some employee changes and went through trial and error with hiring people (that might be why some of the previous comments mentioned poor customer service). The American owner is very knowledgeable and he is good at giving directions. My experience in Patong has been great and it was because of the warm staff!

Room Tip: 204/205! It has a balcony!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Christina S
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Phuket seemed to be my go to place this holiday. I am not a fan of Phuket but its a great gateway to the rest of Thailand. The Marq is a great budget hotel just a 10 min walk to Patong beach and a $100 Bhat per person tuk tuk ride into the heart of the action.
Ask for "Big" he is the owners friend that seems to run the property. He had all the answers and was always very welcoming and informative. He organised all of our airport taxis and transfers and we shopped around and his price was competitive and fair. There is a great little place next door that serves simple meals, great coffee and breakfast.
The rooms are new, very clean, modern and comfortable with air conditioning and cool graffiti style learn to speak thai words on the walls. It was great. I suggest you take a business card of the hostel with you when you venture out to give to the tuk tuk drivers, as alot of them were confused as to where it was. Also the card machine didn't work so bring cash to pay if you can. It works out to about $45 AUD a night for the entire room. Would completely recommend.

Room Tip: I stayed in a few rooms here. All different and all good.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Really good value rooms. Good size, king bed, clean, good air con, tv with movies, friendly staff. Located a little far too walk to the beach but you can hire mopeds cheap enough downstairs. Only thing is there is no elevator but that didn't worry me. Really I have stayed in worse places in Thailand for twice the price. If you are after luxury our want to be right in the middle of Patong this is not for you but if you want good clean rooms within a 5 min moped ride and at acceptable prices and service then give The Mara a go.

• Stayed: January 2014