“Great hotel in a great location”

Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central
Ranked #14 of 321 Hotels in Patong
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Great hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at the beginning of July. I booked the room from a deal I found on the hotel's website. The value in this is that when you book directly from the hotel, and sign up for the guest loyalty, you get better perks. After booking my room I contacted the hotel's GM whose info I found under other Tripadvisor review comments. I informed him that my wife and I were staying for a couple of nights and that I wanted a room on a high floor that was away from too much noise. He got back to me about a day later stating that he would make a note on my reservation.
We landed in Phuket early in the afternoon and caught a taxi from the stand outside of the airport. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have caught the minibus to Patong for 180 baht per person. We paid a total of 600 baht for the cab ride with the 100 baht surcharge included. But I digress.
Upon arriving at the hotel we were told that we were getting a room on the top floor with a pool view. I was worried at first that this room would be noisy because of how close it'd be to the pool area. I was wrong. While you can hear people in the pool during the day, the pool closes at 8 pm and no one hangs in that area to make a bunch of noise. It was a great room and an overall great experience. Now the experience of Patong is a whole other matter. While I did really enjoy myself, beware that you will solicited nonstop from the time you leave the heavily secured hotel until the time you return. "You want a taxi?! Hey man you want a suit?! Massage?! Tuk Tuk?!" And my favorite, "Come and see the Ping Pong show!"
Definitely recommend the hotel if you plan on staying in Patong beach. Did I mention that it's on the beach.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank LangStonR
DominicEgger, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hi “LangStonR”

I am delighted with your great review and thank you for taking the time to write these kind words of our Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central and glad you enjoyed the allocated room.

Patong is a very vibrant city and our location close to everything but far enough from the noise is just fantastic and in walking distance to everything. 2 minutes walk across the road to the beach, 5 minutes to all the Thai and international restaurants. 10 minutes to Bangla road and 15 minutes to the JungCeylon shopping center.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of any further assistance on your next stay with us.

Dominic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed at this resort in June for 2 weeks. I had a 1 bedroom suite, which is the same cost for standard rooms in 5 star resorts. The stay overall was great. Room and complex is fairly new so could not complain about the facilities at all. Breakfast was good, place settings cleared very quickly by staff and you could sit in the breakfast room or the reading room or the great open space to eat. What you do need to remember is its not a full service resort so don't expect the variety in food you would fine in the five stars.
Pool is in the centre surrounded by the accommodation towers. Nice pool but no large lagoon with pool bar, once again very adequate area for the style of accommodations.
Bonus was the small but well equipped gym. The great open space in the foyer had many nice places to sit, read, talk or drink.
You need to eat out of the resort at night, but they do have limited order in meals. No problem to walk down the road though for meals, so many choices with in 5-10 minutes walk.
Many people have noted the noise at night. I did not find this a problem at all. Yes you can here pubs and night spots but none kept me up, your on holiday, go join in or roll over and shut your eyes. Not noisy enough to note.
Over all a very well run resort, and for the price I would definitely recommend.
If your out touring, wondering around and want a good home base this place is good.
If you want to laze by a rambling pool all day click your fingers and be served drinks its not.
Figure that one out before you book and make your choices.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Paige13
Hi “Paige13”

You have just described the hotel in the best way what we are as a Holiday Inn Express.

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. Our hotel is different to the classic resort hotels. We do not offer porter service, stocked minibar, room service, pool bar or restaurants with the exception of the Great Room where we serve the Express Start Breakfast Bar and have the lobby bar with value for money prices on drinks and snacks/food. Saving all the money with not offering those services which are not often used anymore with all the choices around the hotel in Patong enables us to offer Great Value for Money in a fantastic location just across the road to the beach.

We cater for the adventurous and independent traveler like yourself which values a good clean room, a great location a friendly and supporting team and value for money. Why pay for a room which you are not often in it as you experience Phuket and the surrounding islands! Save money with us and spend it elsewhere for a great holiday.

We will look forward to have you with us again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance for a future booking.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Rather nice lobby and pool. Love the concept of grab and go breakfast as I was rushing out for a day tour at 8.00am in the morning. Nothing too special about the breakfast selection though. The staff who helped with my check-in in the morning was really nice, polite, friendly and knowledgeable. She was able to tell me where to wait for the bus to Phuket Town and the estimated price if I were to travel by taxi instead. Also, she is always smiling. However, the front desk staff on night shift is a completely different story. I wonder why I deserved a death stare when I only asked a simple question - what time does the breakfast starts. The staff on night shift are very rude, and very unpleasant to talk to.

The room is rather simple, nothing fancy. However, I was rather upset on my 2nd day because my bf and I were being locked out of the room as the card scanner was spoiled. And this had to happen after a really tiring day. We stayed at block 6, which is one of the last building from the main lobby. We had to walk down to the lobby to inform the front desk staff about the situation. Although the front desk staff came to check on the scanner rather quickly, she did not manage to fix the scanner. She spend about 15-20 mins in our room and I am not comfortable with this at all as I could not do anything during this period of time and we were rushing out for dinner. The hotel should have done better maintenance.

On my last night with Holiday Inn, there was a black out in the middle of the night, around 5am. The room was stuffy and hot, but luckily they managed to fix the issue within 30mins.

Room Tip: If you are afraid of noise, do not stay near the pool as the guests can be quite noisy (lots of scre...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sneeziehamster
DominicEgger, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Hi “Sneeziehamster”

Appreciate you are taking the time to write a review for our Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central and appreciate you had a comfortable stay with us

I apologize about the inconvenience with the fault card reader at the guest room door, the technology has it in it that unfortunately it can happen that a reader needs to be swapped.

For the last four weeks we had several power cut offs due to the maintenance of the government with the upgrade for Southern Thailand which is completed on the 10th July. When the hotel generator jumps in, the power supply is for emergency lighting and guest room lighting only and is not supporting the Air-Condition system.

Please let me know when you are coming back for another escape from Singapore and need any assistance for your future booking.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

When we arrived at about 12plus in the afternoon , we check in at the counter . To our surprise the room is ready within half an hour . The staff is friendly also . After going through the room check , there is a lock faulty and one of the mug is dirty . The breakfast is very normal (everyday the same ) . Hope it can be improved . There is free wifi available . There is also a vending machine area & laundry area . Overall the hotel stay is pleasant and we hope to have another stay there . It's a great place for holiday .

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Siow J
DominicEgger, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Hi “Siow J”

Thank you for taking time to review our Holiday inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central and we are very glad that you could relax at our hotel during your stay. I would like to apologies about the shortfall with the door lock and the mug. I am glad the team could help you with earlier check-in to start you holiday in Patong from the minute you arrive.

Our Express Start Breakfast Bar is included in our rates same as the WiFi and offers four hot dishes such as the daily changing rice soup, fried rice - , an egg dish - and a sausage dish. On the cold selection we have the three cereals’, 3 cut fruits, 2 whole fruits, salad bar, 2 natural and fruit yoghurts, bakery selection with danish’s, muffins, bread rolls and croissants and white & whole meal toast. 3 juices and coffee, tea, chocolate and mocca as hot drinks.

A lot of our guests like the “Grab & Go” concept when they go on tours to take the breakfast conveniently with them when they board the tour buses.

If we can be of any further assistance for any future stay please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Overall it was wonderful stay and really liked the way the hotel is built with modern touch. The swimming pool is neatly done and is very relaxing. We had a room overlooking the pool and was quite nice to watch rain hit the pool every now and then. The buffet spread for the breakfast was good and included in the tariff. The best thing about this hotel is the location as it is very near to the beach say around 50 steps. The next thing is the cost as it comes at an affordable price when compared to other hotels around. The staff also are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Go for pool facing Rooms!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ganesh S
Hi “ganesh S”

We are very glad that we could impress you with our Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central. We are a very new brand for the South East Asia and are expanding quickly in this region. We have great hotels and are all in great locations for great value for money with free Express Breakfast Bar and free WiFi.

When you are joining our IHG Reward Club it will give you further benefits when you book direct with our hotels such as points which never expire and can be redeemed for future free nights or reduced rates. You can use the points as well for all our 4600 hotels worldwide and gives you free internet in all the other hotel brands.

Thank you as well for the great comments about the team which bring the hotel atmosphere alive for a pleasant stay.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance for a future stay with us.

Fort Worth, TX.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Airport pickup arranged through Holiday Inn was first class, highly recommended. Booked 2 rooms with a 3rd room for a 5 night stay. Have stayed at many Holiday Inn properties in U.S. and this property exceeded any stayed at.

The GM Dominic Egger is complemented for every detail was first class from the front desk, open lobby similar to some in Hawaii, The pool cleaned early morning, elevators cleaned, rooms well maintained and clean and beds comfortable, not the hard mattress found at many of the hotels in Thailand. Good view of the pool from the small room balconies day and night lighting.
The only downside is the breakfast in part due to the food formula maintained for consistency within the property with the same Hotel Flag. . Do have a good selection of fresh fruit, butters, jams, honey, two types of toast, juices, cereals, coffee. Weaker points include variety in meats and hot entrees. If possible within frame work, suggest alternating hot dogs with bacon, pancakes, chicken or another type meat. Yogurt in individual serving containers, higher quality pastries,

All in all, great property with great value, well run and would repeat stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher floor with pool view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kenneth J
DominicEgger, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hi “KennnethJ”

A pleasure having you and your family at our hotel and thank you for the great review with highlighting the excellent hotel team. It is a pleasure to have such recognition for my team from seasoned traveler's such as yourself and will pass your comment on to the team in our next Guest review session.

I love the sleep experience at our Holiday Inn Express the comfortable mattress with the soft and firm pillow for sweet dreams…. Just great to relax and get a decent sleep in your break away from home.

Our hotel offers great value for money in a great location, just across the road from the beach, Thai and International restaurants in 5 minute walking distance, Bangla road 10 minutes and approximately 15 minutes’ walk to the JungCeylon shopping center.

I hear you with the breakfast additions and will bring it up with the corporate Food and Beverage team as we are very consistent with our Holiday Inn Express brand in South East Asia and have room to review with our Express Start Breakfast Bar.

We will all look forward to have you with us again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly again if I can be of any assistance for future bookings.

Karachi, Pakistan
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here with my family, check-in was a bit delayed but that is because we arrived early and was balanced out by an hour late check-out (1pm).Staff was friendly and helpful, pool and jacuzi is ample, there were so many guests stayed there, but you can never find the pool crowded. There is no life guard at the pool, but the depth (1.2 meters) is a real peace of mind for parents. Pool towels and umbrellas are given complimentary at the reception area, the best part is that you can get as many towels as you want, not only just for the pool but you can take them to the beach as well, and not to forget the umbrellas as rain showers can arrive on a short notice.
The hotel's location is just great for families with young children especially. You can go to the most noisiest part of Patong beach in just 10 minutes, yet one can have a peaceful sleep at night after a tiring day visiting different attractions. It has all the basic choices in breakfast which is free and included in the price, wifi worked flawlessly. One can walk to the Patong beach at a leisurely pace in about 2 minutes, there's a cafe, fruit stall, and 7/11 right next to the hotel. Eateries, tour agents, and shops start when you take the left turn to the main happening "Thaviwong Road" (Patong Beach Road). Families with young children please bear in mind that if you want to try different restaurants every time you go out, the walking time could range between 2-20 minutes (one way). However, you can hire a cab or a tuk tuk easily when you just step out of the hotel.
To summarize, this should be the first choice of stay at Patong beach for families on a budget.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank feika100
Hi “feika100”

It was our pleasure to have you and your family with us as and thank you for your great and extensive review of our Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central.

Our location with everything in close walking distance is just a great place with value for money especially with young children. The pool is in the center of the hotel. Some garden areas to relax, restaurants of Thai and international choices all in short walking distance around the hotel. For all the tours in Phuket and the surrounding islands you can get picked up at the hotel conveniently and shops are all along the streets for every taste from street stalls, to markets shops or the big JungCeylon shopping Center about 15 minutes walk.

Please let us know when you are making yoru way back to Patong and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.