“Good for what you pay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #316 of 396 Patong B&B and Inns
gold coast
“Good for what you pay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at 88 hotel for 8 days in February.
The rooms were small but good enough, after all you don't spend much time in your room.
When I arrived they placed us in a room with two singles despite paying for a queen, they could not accommodate us that night but we moved the next day. They tried to say I had made the mistake but I had paperwork to back me up - made me very mad!
The air con worked well but they only supply one room key and once the card is taken out of the power slot all the electricity goes off, including the fridge which is annoying to come home to hot drinks.
Also when they clean the rooms they leave the bathroom open which brings in the smell from the water. Not pleasant.
I found the staff not very friendly, most can't speak English which I don't mind but I do mind when they nod their head yes to what you are saying rather than letting you know they don't understand you - this lead to an annoying incident in which they tried to charge me for something I had not received.
The breakfast is crap - it's the same choice every day, if you enjoy mystery meat then you are ok. I ditched the breakfast and went down the road every day for much better choices.
The hotel pool is good, on the roof and no one really uses it so we pretty much had it to ourselves every day.
The hotel is on nanai road, quick walk to juncelon shopping centre and bangla road.
There is no safe in your room, they have a box at the front desk that you can lock your things in but I don't trust them with my passport.
Overall I would say that if your looking for a cheap, clean hotel then stay here.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed in Hotel 88 for one week before relocating to Singapore. We were only looking at a certain budget which it fell into. We booked this about a week before requesting a balcony and a queen bed which they confirmed, on arrival it was obvious they had forgot about our arrival, hence us being given a twin single bed right on the road. Once we informed them of the mistake they were unable to fix until midday the next day, in which we had to move rooms again. The breakfast is ok, but if you are prepared to walk 50m down the road you can get a real coffee and breakfast, and I don't think the hotels breakfast is worth 200 Baht. The room is small but not more than i would expect for $50 a night, but the bathroom is tiny and the room always smell once you forget to close the bathroom door as the smell of the street would come through the window. We asked about having 2 card to keep the aircon going and reduce the smell but was not accommodated, and the wifi cuts out quite a lot. We had 2 plastic chairs outside on our balcony and while sitting on one the leg broke ( and I'm not fat), when reported to the staff they were okay with it, but upon check out they tried to charge us 800 Baht. If we had broke it doing something stupid i would agree to paying it but seeing as it broke cause it was poor chair and the staff knew this i found this to leave a sour taste in my mouth. The hotel is about a 200m walk from Junceylon and Bangla rd boxing stadium. There are many food stalls around with great food, and plenty places to drink. I found the pool the best assets as many times I went in we were alone and had the pool to ourselves for many hours to relax and get some sun. I would stay here again, but I am more inclined to look at other places first. The staff were friendly, but I got what I paid for.

Room Tip: Ask for queen bed with balcony facing away from the road.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Surfernurse
Humpty Doo, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Good little hotel in walking distance to everything in the Patong area - Beach 15min. WiFi good. Good friendly service, and nice brekky. Rooms are small, but clean. No safe in the rooms, and no complimentary tea and coffee, but you can borrow an electric jug. Nice swimming pool on the 8th floor. Good cheap tucker at the Thai restaurant next door. Overall very good.
Cheers Niels & Mary, Humpty Doo, Darwin, Down Under

Room Tip: Top floor, city side is best
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Friendly day staff ( no so for the ones working the graveyard shift !!) Nice comfortable rooms with free wifi. Small pool but good enough for anyone who just wanna have a dip in it. Location wise.... about 10 minutes or slightly more if you are heading to the beach ( 7 or 8 minutes as in previous review can't get you there ) but if you have a good pair of walking shoes, everything's fine !! Breakfast was definitely good, not buffet but the serving should be good for anyone!!!!!!

Room Tip: Get the rooms with the balcony, just pay a bit more!!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 514Fantastic101
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Good hotel, value for money. Smiley friendly reception staff let us check in at 11.30am.
Good, clean room with tv with lots of channels, free water daily. We were on 3rd floor, good free wi-fi signal in room and reception area. No wi-fi signal on rooftop pool area. Nice basic pool area with 6 sunbeds, always quiet so available beds.
Good location, no noisy bars around, 10min walk to big jungacelon shopping centre and bangla road, 15mins to beach. Lovely Thai family run restaurant next door to hotel (left out of reception) very cheap, amazing food, hidden gem for Thai food!! We booked room with breakfast but shouldnt have bothered, serves till 11am, not the best breakfast!
Alround fab hotel in good location!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Coimbatore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Excellent hotel in all ways... Wifi in bedroom was awesome.. Staffs and reception was v friendly... I like the hotel v much.. I recommend this hotel to all.. Nice stay and to relax.. Bedroom was very clean and very comfortable.. Spacious.. Worth for the money that we spend on this hotel...

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank rajaramandr
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed 8 nights at this hotel, good location only 10 minute walk to beach or nightlife area. Rooms bit on the small side but everything appears new. Great little Thai restaurant on the opposite side of the road to the left of hotel with sign saying fast food 50baht. Will stay at hotel again

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AustraliaScott
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Green Harbor Service Apartment
#185 of 492 in Kathu
Good Nice Hotel
Good Nice Hotel
#327 of 396 in Patong

Been to 88 Hotel? Share your experiences!