“You can't win with this one...”
Review of 88 Hotel

88 Hotel
Ranked #313 of 407 Patong B&B and Inns
“You can't win with this one...”
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on 3 separate occasions over 1 month April 2014 - first room was a standard located on level 6 paid $20 Aus a night. The good: very comfy bed, great shower and modern. The bad: tiny room, filthy walls and really noisy (road outside + the internal hotel noise lift, doors banging etc) non sound proof rooms) Second room on level 2 Superior paid $28 Aus a night. The good - same as the standard and comes with a small balcony. The bad: called front desk and asked for 2 extra pillows and the girl said "no we don't have any more" 15mins later the room service lady knocks on my door and gives me 2 pillows?? balcony door wouldn't lock and no view just the front yard of the guesthouse behind the hotel and again really noisy. The third room level 7 superior paid $30 Aus a night. Walked in and immediately thought wow now we're talking!! Great view of Patong and the room seems to be a lot nicer/cleaner than the previous 2.... Then the problems started to occur... Ants crawling through the room and on the bed, toilet wouldn't flush, shower water pressure shocking (had to duck upstairs and use the pool shower) aircon leaking water and still noise from the lift, doors etc. I guess you get what you pay for... Nice rooftop pool, never ate breakfast here so can't comment. If you're a backpacker/young party animal this place is great!! If you're wanting a relaxing holiday DONT STAY HERE pay the extra $10 - $20 a night and stay in a resort. I wouldn't pay anymore than $30 a night to stay here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JulesM2010

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights early March paying around $50 a night through lastminute.com staying in a standard room with balcony on the 7th floor. The hotel is situated on a relatively quiet section of Nanai road but is within easy walking distance of Banzaan market, Jungceylon, Soi Sansabai, Bangla road and the beach. The room itself is clean, modern and fresh but a little on the small side, but came with AC, flat screen wall mounted TV with western channels, small fridge and wardrobe. There was no room safe or tea/coffee making amenities although they did provide us with kettle and cups when requested. We had continual problems with the shower and sink water backing up and from time to time the toilet was slow to flush. Free WIFI is available and they have a small plunge pool on the rooftop and about six lounge chairs available. The staff are very friendly but English language is limited. All in all its an ok hotel that I wouldn’t get too excited about but would be happy enough to stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Camjar
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This place was a little treasure.

Fantastic room - nice bed, air con, tv and fridge. They even went to the detail of a print out with what TV channels were in what languages.

Hotel has a nice, quiet and refreshing pool at the top. Our price came with breakfast - nothing flash, but nice enough meal to start the day.

Staff were very friendly and helpful.

15mins to the beach, and closer to Bangla road - yet far away enough to avoid the blaring music.

Cannot recommend highly enough!

• Stayed January 2014
Zenica, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel trough e-mail. No pre payment. Veey nice from hotel. Room with balcony is very nice and clear. Free water, ac, nice bathroom... staff will take care everything you need.
Nice area 10-15 min to the beach.
Brakfast basic but good enough.
Highly recommended for all.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AnelAzrail
gold coast
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at 88 hotel for 8 days in February.
The rooms were small but good enough, after all you don't spend much time in your room.
When I arrived they placed us in a room with two singles despite paying for a queen, they could not accommodate us that night but we moved the next day. They tried to say I had made the mistake but I had paperwork to back me up - made me very mad!
The air con worked well but they only supply one room key and once the card is taken out of the power slot all the electricity goes off, including the fridge which is annoying to come home to hot drinks.
Also when they clean the rooms they leave the bathroom open which brings in the smell from the water. Not pleasant.
I found the staff not very friendly, most can't speak English which I don't mind but I do mind when they nod their head yes to what you are saying rather than letting you know they don't understand you - this lead to an annoying incident in which they tried to charge me for something I had not received.
The breakfast is crap - it's the same choice every day, if you enjoy mystery meat then you are ok. I ditched the breakfast and went down the road every day for much better choices.
The hotel pool is good, on the roof and no one really uses it so we pretty much had it to ourselves every day.
The hotel is on nanai road, quick walk to juncelon shopping centre and bangla road.
There is no safe in your room, they have a box at the front desk that you can lock your things in but I don't trust them with my passport.
Overall I would say that if your looking for a cheap, clean hotel then stay here.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed in Hotel 88 for one week before relocating to Singapore. We were only looking at a certain budget which it fell into. We booked this about a week before requesting a balcony and a queen bed which they confirmed, on arrival it was obvious they had forgot about our arrival, hence us being given a twin single bed right on the road. Once we informed them of the mistake they were unable to fix until midday the next day, in which we had to move rooms again. The breakfast is ok, but if you are prepared to walk 50m down the road you can get a real coffee and breakfast, and I don't think the hotels breakfast is worth 200 Baht. The room is small but not more than i would expect for $50 a night, but the bathroom is tiny and the room always smell once you forget to close the bathroom door as the smell of the street would come through the window. We asked about having 2 card to keep the aircon going and reduce the smell but was not accommodated, and the wifi cuts out quite a lot. We had 2 plastic chairs outside on our balcony and while sitting on one the leg broke ( and I'm not fat), when reported to the staff they were okay with it, but upon check out they tried to charge us 800 Baht. If we had broke it doing something stupid i would agree to paying it but seeing as it broke cause it was poor chair and the staff knew this i found this to leave a sour taste in my mouth. The hotel is about a 200m walk from Junceylon and Bangla rd boxing stadium. There are many food stalls around with great food, and plenty places to drink. I found the pool the best assets as many times I went in we were alone and had the pool to ourselves for many hours to relax and get some sun. I would stay here again, but I am more inclined to look at other places first. The staff were friendly, but I got what I paid for.

Room Tip: Ask for queen bed with balcony facing away from the road.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Surfernurse
Humpty Doo, Australia
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Good little hotel in walking distance to everything in the Patong area - Beach 15min. WiFi good. Good friendly service, and nice brekky. Rooms are small, but clean. No safe in the rooms, and no complimentary tea and coffee, but you can borrow an electric jug. Nice swimming pool on the 8th floor. Good cheap tucker at the Thai restaurant next door. Overall very good.
Cheers Niels & Mary, Humpty Doo, Darwin, Down Under

Room Tip: Top floor, city side is best
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Forty Winks Phuket Hotel
#25 of 407 in Patong
Sunset Mansion Hotel
Sunset Mansion Hotel
#446 of 1,020 in Phuket

Been to 88 Hotel? Share your experiences!