“Very Average Hotel - Patong Lodge hotel”
Review of Patong Lodge Hotel

Patong Lodge Hotel
Ranked #177 of 329 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Patong Lodge hotel was booked by Make my trip for our travel to Phuket for 3N/4D.
This was my gift to my parents for their 40th wedding anniversary and i wanted it to be a memorable one. Unfortunately it was not the case. My parents were given the room no 1141 on the 2nd Floor. The AC was not working properly for all the days that we stayed there. considering the extreme humid climate it was difficult to survive in the room. The AC took ages to cool the room and the technician sent everytime by the front desk hardly did anything to help and would just worsen the situation. The toilet flush too wasn't working as well as the TV. Last day my Dad had to finally go and yell at the reception at 1am in the night to get the AC fixed. We were then provided with a pedestial fan by them
The only good part of the hotel is the proximity of the Kalim Beach and the swimming pool. Also, the Bangla road and restaurents are at a distance which either you travel by Tuktuk or walking

Room Tip: swimming pool facing room is good
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Aditi D

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed here with my wife and 2 kids and booked a deluxe room. This is my second stay in the hotel and I must stay that considering the room tariff and facilities, this is a nice property. The staff has problems with communicating in English and it becomes difficult to make them understand. Otherwise, the room given to us was good (D 211) just opposite to the pool on the second floor and the kids had great time. Close to Kalim beach and patong is walking distance. The breakfast is average but the restaurant has good view of the road. Don't mind to come again .

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Considering the price to stay here, I wasn't surprised with the quality of the hotel. The beds were rock-hard, and the place was very noisy at night. The front desk female staff weren't very polite and hard to speak to. The food was very average, breakfast was OK. The elevator felt like it was going to break down everytime we got in it and our small balcony was not used at all because of the disgusting gabage-tip area that it looked onto. If you want to go on a holiday and not spend any time at the hotel, this is the place for you. Otherwise, I would choose somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My wife and I decided to spend our second honeymoon in Phuket back in November 2012, and we were offered this hotel through an airlines holiday package. The price of the package was a steal, which led me to an impulse decision-making to stay at this hotel, before I actually read the reviews at TripAdvisor. After I read the reviews, I was disappointed, mostly with my decision-making skills, but nevertheless still having high hopes for spending a good time here.

Huge mistake.

Service:
The service was bad. The lady at the reception was rude. She treated us like we are not welcomed there - no eye contact, rude tone, and no smiles. In the Land of Smiles, there is apparently this place called Patong Lodge Hotel, which somehow being deprived of this abundant national commodity. Oh. As i recall, finally she did smile when we said we would like to upgrade our room to Deluxe. "Betterrrr", she said. "Just 500baht more per night". Well, I guess smiles doesn't come cheap nowadays. Only the bell-boy was giving free smiles. And we did take the Deluxe room since there are reviews here saying its the best room at the hotel.

Room Quality:
We had the "highly-acclaimed" Deluxe room and the first thing we've noticed was the smell. The room had a distinctive damp smell which annoyed my wife like crazy - guess it was because she was pregnant back then. The bed was OK. Our air-conditioner never seems to work. And it can be quite warm and humid in Phuket, which makes staying in the room very uncomfortable. Shower was OK, but not much amenities provided. Can't really recall whether the room was noisy or not.

Location:
For me and my wife, it was not really walking distance between the Hotel and Patong Town. And it can be quite dangerous to walk to the town since there is no proper walkway from the hotel and you have to walk along the side of the road. Thus, we had to utilised the ever-ready "tuk-tuk" in front of the Hotel, to go to anywhere in the town. And they charge about 150-200baht per trip.

In conclusion, the Hotel contributed to the overall bad experience for us in Phuket, alongside a horribly-overcrowded cruise ship trip and an overall society which hungers for tourists' money.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ewan85
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Me and my wife stayed there for 4 nights. Average room. No aesthetic feature. Sober room. Age old T.V. You can spend your night with great difficulty. No friendly staff. Room cleaning ladies are very harsh. not friendly. Yes it is Lodge. Not a three star hotel. Morning Breakfast is O.K. Small swimming pool. Far off from Bangla Road and market. Taxi 200 Bhat to go to Bangla Road. Near by no hotel. Only family store and FOREX. If you walk to the left you have one No.9 restaurant. Where you will get good continental and Thai food. Patong beach was over crowded. From this Hotel you can go to Beach (Opposite to the Hotel)but the sand is not all that good to stay on. But You have a good view of sunset . For good sunbath and swimming you have to go to Patong main beach. We never even taken Water bottle from the Refrigerater. But they put the bill and asked me to sign, When i refused three house keeping women came and fought with me rudely. They never think that we came for a holiday and give good reception. only a boy near the door who supplies beach towel alone is friendly. Others mechanical. No other go we had to spend four nights. Please Stay near Kata Beach instead. Best.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ganesh_law
Reviewed 16 December 2012

My friend and I spent a whole week here and despite what some of the other reviewers have to say (whinewhinewhine) we really enjoyed it!
The room was really nice and clean, big enough to spend time in, attractive decor and importantly, air conditioned!
We ended up here through a travelzoo deal and were lucky enough to get a deluxe room; it was right next to a beautiful pool, which we almost had to ourselves and we had a balcony with some good tree coverage.
Location wise, its two small hills from patong beach (its very easy to get into patong for dinner), but its actually closer to a smaller beach in the other direction. This beach had beautiful sunsets and a fantastic little beach restaurant (on the beach side of the street, not in the row of shops) and we went almost every day for a meal.
Breakfast is buffet and nothing special, but the restaurant itself is nice and airy and we were entertained by a visit from Elvis when we ate dinner there one night.
As for management being rude, we had no such problems- when there was a problem with our safe, it was resolved within an hour. I guess there wasn't much English, but it should be pointed out, we were in Thailand and everyone still made an effort to understand us.
We would really recommend this hotel and suggest you look for its second pool!

Room Tip: Deluxe room was great!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Lucy M
Reviewed 9 November 2012

That was probably the worst place i've ever sleep in, in this whole last year travelling.
I can't just tell you all the things which went wrong during our stay. First, it would be far too long ( even if it was only a 3 nights stay ) and you might think that i'm just an angry little b$%tard.
So, i'll give you one good thing about this place : the swimming pool looks nice.

Done.

Now about our stay, we booked for 2 nights and then extend for a third one, waiting for a room available in our favourite hotel in patong. We paid 1600BHT in total for the 2 first night, excluding breakfast. When it was time for us to hardly accept to stay one more night in this awful place, i went down to the reception to pay for the extra night. Surprise, we ask me 1600 BHT for one night, for the same room... i refused to pay, and i've been asked to come back the day after to see with another receptionnist. So that's what i did, and i've been asked again for the same price. Who would pay double price for the same room, when you just paid half of it? Well, after refusing to pay, the price suddently decrease to 1400BHT, then 1200, and finally drop back to the usual, and already overpriced 800bht ( breakfast excluded, i insist on that point ).

At this point, i didn't feel like i was in my hotel, but in the market buying a tee shirt.

The receptionnists are not friendly at all, i've seen people complaining at the front desk and been treated as dogs. When you call from your room to ask for toilet paper ( beacause it was missing in the room ) you are asked to come at the reception to get it yourself ( by using a lift which needs 1 and a half hour to reach the ground floor from the 2nd one )

We tried the room service for two milk shakes. Not even cocktails. Milk shakes.

You better have something else in your room if you are nearly deshydrated, cause you'll wait for 45 minutes.

Also, be careful when you use the minibar, check out the date of any bottle, or you will, like i did, drink a 6 months old can of soda.

While we are talking about the room service, mind your step when you leave your romm in the morning, you might step on an empty plate from another room. It's usual to leave the dirty plates out of the door, in most of the hotels, but according to me, it's unusual to find the same plates all along the corridor a couple of days later, morever when i've seen someone cleaning this same corridor twice....

Finally, it was really noisy. People were really unrespectful, guests and housekeeping, " speaking " loud early in the morning ( 6am - 8am ).

Well, if you still want to stay here, beacause you think it's a good value for money, it's up to you. I told you before about our favourite place in patong... I can't tell you the name of it right here ( even if i would like to), but just to let you know, we paid 750BHT a night , breakfast included, it is maybe 500m away north of awful PATONG LODGE HOTEL, and that was a complete different story...

If you're looking for a place to stay in patong, you better pass your way from patong lodge.

Hope my rewiew was useful.

Cheers

Ben

Room Tip: to choose a good room, choose another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple