“Great location but......”

Patong Bay Garden Resort
Ranked #176 of 319 Hotels in Patong
“Great location but......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I will try to be as fair as possible. I booked the superior room and requested high floor. The superior room at 1st floor are correct but really in front of the pool so it can be a bit noisy and not so private. They brought me to a 1st floor superior room that doesnt look like the pictures at all. It was terrible and had view on... the stairs!!! there were noway I would stay in that bedroom for a week. I went to the reception to complain and they offered me to upgrade me to the deluxe city. it was bigger but as terrible and with cockroach. the worse was the noise! they sell it as a better value than superior room, DO NOT TAKE THE CITY VIEW ROOM. Then I complained again to have the deluxe balcony but they wanted me to top up. I dont find it very commercial but let's admit this is their policy. What I would call a scam, is that there were discount on their website that brought the deluxe balcony at the same price that I paid for the superior. They did exactly the same with 2 tourists that I bumped in the lobby...
The deluxe balcony room is quite nice, the bathroom is very basic but acceptable. The last day I had late flight so they offer late checkin but guess what? you stiil have to pay. And it's never the same price according to who you ask to. Moreover, when I left the hotel was empty..... I understand they have to make money, but they never do any single commercial gesture especially for long stay customers, in low season, in empty hotel. This is really too bad because the hotel by itself is quite nice, the restaurant is beachfront and quite good. A little bit overpriced for thailand but still OK.

As a conclusion, if you decide to go to the hotel, dont take rooms below deluxe balcony.

Room Tip: dont go below deluxe balcony. Superior are too random and city view is a scam
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here 4 times in the past 3 years and always loved it for its great location but this time I was very disappointed.
Don't know what's going on there but the staff were boardering on downright rude after always being smiling and friendly in the past.
The general condition of the hotel was awful....quite grubby, tiles missing in the pool and numerous cockroaches.
Still the best position in patong and the setting on the beach is glorious, all the other guests I spoke to were disappointed as well. Such a shame to see.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Chris C
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I booked this hotel on recommendation from my cousin and her husband who had stayed there a couple of years ago. In fact they came with me on this trip and we had adjoining rooms (deluxe balcony suits). I had previously read many comments on this resort and was apprehensive due to the many negative comments. Upon reception I could not fault them. Being Australian I had no communication problems and they did every thing to help me. i was taken to my room and yes they are in need of a major update. Tiles etc are retro and reminded me of the 60's and 70's but everything was pristinely clean. View to the pool and the beach was great. The room had everything I wanted and needed. My Thai girlfriend and I spent many nights there and the house keeping lady (I can't recall her name) put flowers on our pillows and next morning after breakfast put the petals in a heart shape on my bed.I will accept responsibility for that!!!!!!!! But she was so an angel we tipped her 1000 baht. She nearly cried and gave us a hug and kiss
I will be back next year.By the way the meals at both restaurants are great.
The only draw back is there is a time share office there and can be noisy. Let them know you are staying there and they will leave you alone.
Thank you all to Patong Bay Garden Resort

Room Tip: keep an open mind
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We've stayed at this hotel before and were aware of the outdated furnishings and tired look of the resort. However, the hospitality and restaurant were previously outstanding - this is no longer the case. Reception staff are rude, don't make eye contact and ignore guests, likewise in the restaurant - there is a definite don't care attitude accompanied by the varying levels of service one has to attribute this to a management issue. There is noticeably a higher number of loud expat "managers" about and the focus is almost entirely on the holiday club that they are endeavouring to peddle; leaving hotel guests ignored and feeling like second class citizens.

The only redeeming feature and if it was not for this I would have rated the hotel a 1 out of 5, is the location - right on Patong Beach. Unfortunately, the negatives of this trip even out-way this and we will not be staying at this resort again in the future.

Room Tip: Whatever you choose you are bound to be disappointed. Suggest selecting another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wayne G

Travellers are raving about these Patong hotels

NKY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

As mentioned previously (and the reason I booked this hotel) the only major positive about this hotel is the location. Now that I've been to this city, however, I would recommend another hotel on the beach as the city is very walkable.

My room (Andaman Studio) was not even close to what was pictured. In speaking with another guest who had the exact same issue I had it's the luck of the draw if you get one of the 3 studios that actually have a beach view, beach access, and remodeled interiors. The other "Studios" are much smaller (no seating area), no view (because of a mass of trees), skimpy furnishings, and no direct access to the beach because they are on the 2nd floor.

In other news... the pool area was clean, the staff was OK, and the breakfast was nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Viper22FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Positive:
1.Right on the beach, 200m from Bangla Road, 500m from Jungceylon

Negative:
1. Reception area got no aircon, only one fan and that also spoiled.
2. While we waited for check in, we had to pay 10 baht to deposit the luggage, which seems ridiculous for me, i paid almost a hundred dollar for a day and need to pay them 10 baht to look after my luggage for one hour.
3. I booked superior room but no bathtub, although bathtub was shown in picture and in amenities list.
4. I requested for early check in around 12pm, upon arrival the said i can check in by 1pm but after lunch i came back 1:45pm, till then room not ready. Finally checked in 2:10, that means upon request of early, we got let check in!!
5. Rooms are not new, actually need renovation badly. Toilet was so small that even hard to move for shower, did not expect such a small toilet after spending 95$ per night.
6. Water given two bottles free but the quality of water is terrible (alkaline test). There is a mini bar in the fridge and water there is good, that means they purposely gives bad quality free water so consumption from minibar vamps up.
7. Swimming pool is very small. Tiles peeled off. need urgent renovation.
8 Breakfast is not suitable for vegetarian
9. Finally i would say, the money i paid is not worth the service i got.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank debarnab
Karawang, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

This hotel have best location, really near to the beach. When you having breakfast, you can get the sea view. And it also near to the nightlife center, Bangla Road.

But if you have problem with hygiene, I believe you won't be comfortable with this hotel, we have 2 time plumbing problems. And at the first night, some small cockroach is flying to my wife. For us it is not a big problem because our day is spend outside the hotel.

Room Tip: First floor will be good. And the seaview are the best room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple