“Nice resort with old rooms”

Duangjitt Resort & Spa
Ranked #91 of 321 Hotels in Patong
istanbul
“Nice resort with old rooms”
Reviewed 6 June 2009

This hotel is 20min walk to center. Rooms are very old. But the pool is very big and nice. Hotel itself is huge too. i had no problems staying here. Resort is nice, the only problem is old, dates rooms. İf you are going to use the room only for sleeping, this hotel is right hotel to stay.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank buk81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Stayed at the Duangjitt in early May. Have travelled to Phuket many times over 10 years and I was disappointed with this resort.
We stayed in the Garden View rooms which are very remote to the main building and pools. Yes there are buggys to take you there and back but by the time you wait it is quicker to walk.
The rooms are huge but the set up is a little strange there is no bathroom as such you have a shower on one side of the room and a toilet on the other side of the room. The outlook from the rooms is lovely but yes there is the downside that these rooms are at the back of the resort and you can hear the noise from the bars late at night.
We did look at other room accommodation while we were there and the family suite looks lovely but it is 2 storey and the stairs are very steep.
The breakfast is not as good as it could be there is not a lot of variety Yes the eggs are good but the service at breakfast was pretty poor.
The reception staff do not have a lot of customer service skills and we found that out first hand we had problems with the hot water, air conditioning and electricity the reception staff were quite rude on the other hand the maintenance men were lovely as were the cleaners. The staff looked bored the resort was not very full and the staff told us that it had been quite since January and people had been laid off.
I would not recommend staying in the garden view rooms at this resort.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rasand
melbourne australia
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Seriously have to wonder if I stayed at the same place as others have reviewed. Maybe it's because we were in the best room (Family suite), but everything here was just about perfect (in low season). Closed pools ??? Not when I was there in May, all 3 pools open, clean, spectacular. One pool is the biggest in Phuket, surely. Sheets and bedding all new, all clean. Grounds magnificent, another water feature or garden feature wherever you looked. A walk through the spa area was like a walk through paradise. All the blossoms were out when we were there, just lovely. I looked at the cheap rooms and there is one section, right at the end of the superior rooms, where they have added on some cheap and tacky rooming as an afterthought, so avoid these (Numbers here start at 9101? Closest to the beach end) . The other superior rooms looked just fine (I presume they are the superior rooms, as shown on their map), and a lot would have pool views from the second or third floor, in the middle section (say rooms 9201 to 9238 & 9301 to 9308).
The Family suite, just superb. 2 storeys, upstairs alone is bigger than any hotel room I've stayed in. Comes with comfortable bed, giant bathroom with large spa bath and separate shower, toilet, lovely balcony with day bed, plasma tv, and many nice decorations. Downstairs has double day bed which can be for sleeping for 2, another plasma tv with dvd player, shower, toilet, and a doorway to access the pool area. If you stay in one of these, you'd call this a 5 star resort. Yes, the water is yellow, but you only notice in the bath, and it doesn't smell. Shower pressure great, but it took over 20 minutes to fill the spa bath. It was worth it ! Just don't put the whole bubble bath bottle in and turn all the jets on ! No smells from room or bedding, cleaned well but did not wash floors every day.
Cheaper recommended room options are the deluxe pool view (stay closer to 2120 or 2220 end rather than 2101 or 2201 end), honeymoon rooms ( 1206,1207 & 1212 best IMO) and villa's (a little dark and secluded, try 4109 to 4111). The suites were the same size and price as the family suites but on a single level, so I'd stay in the family suite, unless stairs bother you. Honeymoon rooms and suites are near the smallest but deepest pool, with the villa's behind them. The bungalows were ok, but I'd only stay in 6129, 6130, 6131 as they are on the end and have pool views.
The resort itself is a magnificent tropical paradise, and it's only 0.5km from reception to the beach. I don't know why more people don't stay here ? Deluxe garden wing and gasalong rooms a little remote, but can come with a mountain view. Pools great, something for everyone. We had the second biggest pool literally to ourselves most of the time. Breakfast has fewer options than most and is just ok, probably the only downside here, but had the best omelette chef of anywhere we stayed (just have onion and ham, maybe cheese too. remember, less is more). Pad Thai at lunch was delicious, didn't have anything else. Staff very nice, if you are nice to them, but not to Centara Karon standard. As with all Phuket hotel staff, do not yell at them, you will be wiped. English could have been better.
What's the catch you say ? Well, 10 bus loads of touring tourists do arrive in the evening... and leave again by 7.30 am ! You never see them during the day ! How good is that ?!!!
Seemed to be mostly Russians and Germans around during the day, so lots of white pointers and g-strings at the pool. You can't swim in a t-shirt, but my rashy (sleeved swimsuit top) was acceptable, once I explained it was a bather top.
Easy 5 minute walk to Patong Beach (0.5km from reception desk) and public bus. Easy 5 minute walk to Otop markets. Tuk tuk transport at the exit all day and night, you certainly don't need to hire a car. Really, why don't more Australians stay here ? It's a mystery to me. Sure, it does lack a little party atmosphere, but that's because it's nearly empty ! Stay in a deluxe pool view room for 2 or 3 days on your next trip to Patong, and check it out. Bring your friends.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank denouement_11
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 23 May 2009

Duangjitt Resort is located near Patong Beach, but kind of to the side. It is a separate resort with its own entrance. I rented a car, so it was not a problem. But I can imagine how inconvenient it would be without some kind of transportation. Always get a car for Phuket!

I reserved a Superior room and was shocked to see it! The bathroom looked dirty and the bedsheets were cheap. The furniture was very, very old and the lighting was terrible. It was hard for me to believe this was rated a four star hotel! So I paid $10 more per night and upgraded to a Deluxe room. OH. MY. GOD. The BEST investment I ever made! The Deluxe room was a world of difference apart. It truly looked like something in a four star or more hotel. The furnishings were done in beautiful wood and the room and bed were BIG! The bathroom was modern and elegant. There was even a little sitting area and balcony. Honestly, I think I would only pay $20 maximum for the Superior room and up to $200 for the Deluxe room if I had to.

My only problem was the bedding. I've never experienced this before in my life, but the sheets had streaks of some kind of slightly sticky substance. It was almost as if they hadn't been fully rinsed. I complained to the staff and they said they'd take care of it. So they changed the sheets. But it felt the same way. I didn't like this at all and just couldn't understand it.

At the time, there was a lot of construction as I guess they were expanding. I don't know why since the resort is very big and most of the rooms were empty. So it was a bit noisy during the day.

There are several pools, but most of them were closed. There are also villas and a swim-up bar. The pool was alright. The guests were French, Russian, Algerian, and Korean. I would say middle class to lower-middle class. There were a couple of Korean girls who were trying to pump a tube to use in the swimming pool. I offered to help and sweat like a pig to do it for them. Barely a thank you. They said they worked at a clothing stall in Dongdaemun which goes to show what level of people you're dealing with... I'm sure they could also work as hostess girls, too, judging by their manners.

The breakfast buffet was below average. I mean there were pancakes, eggs, and Thai food and such. But the quality was something I'm not accustomed to eating. If I'm on vacation and staying at a hotel, I want to eat better than at home or at least up to par. The decor of the eating area (I'm going to refrain from using the word "dining" because it's not appropriate) was tacky. Oh well, I could eat it and get full at least.

SUMMARY: If you're going to stay here, get a Deluxe room. Then I would say it's a very good value. I don't think I'd stay here again as there are probably plenty of better places in Phuket. But it's not too bad.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank Westinhan
Port Stephens, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2009

just spent 6 nights at this resort. 3rd floor king bed room overlooking grounds & pool area. perfect, clean room with nice balcony view of nearby mountains & grounds with pool in distance. Room 9348. Hot water in shower sometimes took a little while to come through with great water pressure. Room cleaned daily, spotless.

Very large grounds with wings spread out over a large area. Beach & shops about a 4 min walk from room as the driveway is rather long. Fixed this on day two as hired a scooter for remaining days & toured the island. Best way to get out & see the real & whole of Phuket. Breakfast was buffet style plenty to choose from with an egg & omeltte station.
Never ate in the resort (except for complimentary breakfast) as so many bars, resturants & warungs to choose from. Lovely large pool with swim up bar & a smaller pool near the resturant. Pool towels checked out & kept for duration of stay can get clean ones when like & can take to beach. Phuket beach not so clean after the rains but on the scooter to discover beautiful, clean beaches nearby.

My only problem was on check out when they tried to charge me for two bottles of drink I supposably drank from mini bar & was replaced by house maid. Now i explained I never touched anything from mini bar except complimentary water supplied each day. Many phone calls (in Thai) & wait, wait, wait they had a grounds man bring an empty bottle to reception to show me saying this is your empty bottle from your room. Umm No! Get this. It was an empty bottle from my room from 3 days earlier! What the?
I continued to dispute this & as my driver was waiting to depart for the airport they played the waiting game hoping I would give in. Bring on the manager! Again explained my side of story & mentioned I would write a daming report on hotel when back in Australia. Finally dispute resolved at no charge. I am keeping am eye on my credit card to make sure no extra charge in deducted. Think this may be a ploy they try with many guests. Sure it's not much (60 Baht) but it's the principle.

So, wounderful resort would diffenately stay there again but have the mini bar removed on check in.

• Stayed May 2009
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2009

My family and I stayed for 6 nights at the end of our trip around southern Thailand. We stayed in a family room which was double story. We found the pool staff always smiling and welcoming. My dissapointment came at the end of our trip when i discovered i had an international call charged to my room. I did phone international but through the operator. I asked for a reverse charge call to be made to our insurance company as my husband was hospitalised for the night. I was asked which number i needed to call thinking that it was being reversed charged. I think their understanding of the english language should be a lot better in a hotel of this size and quality. still a nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Johannesburg
Reviewed 13 March 2009

Just got back from a 14 day Intrepid Tour of northern Thailand. did a lot of backpacking and stayed in guesthouses, trains, on the deck of a boathouse and in huts in the tribes of Northern Thailand.

We were really looking forward to some good hotels and thought we pamper ourselves to the 4 star Duangjitt resort of Phuket - how wrong we were.

The location of the resort is very good. Its not city centre but 2 minutes walk away from Pudong beach and about 15min away from the city.

The rooms are clean.

Thats about it.

1) The room doesnt come with a bath (which I thought it would, being a 4 star hotel)
2) The water pressure from the shower is very weak (virtually just "drips" out of the shower head)
3) Aircon is "ok" but when you leave the room, it shuts off and when you return, its boiling in there! At least provide a fan or something to keep the air moving.
4) Booked an airport transfer for 10am and at 10h20 when I asked the reception where the transport was she just mentione "oh? are they not here yet?" Taxi eventually arrived at 10h30 and we arrived at the airport at 11h20 for a 12h15 international flight.

In all fairness, the hotel is "ok". Its definitely not a 4 start resort.

Its a reasonable place equivalent to some of the 2 star guest houses we stayed at during our backpacking trip.

I would recommend the hotel on to people not expecting too much and looking for a budget place to stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ErwinPon

Travellers are raving about these Patong hotels