“One of Our Best Experiences in Thailand”
Review of Villa Atchara

Villa Atchara
Ranked #73 of 322 Hotels in Patong
Chicago, Illinois
“One of Our Best Experiences in Thailand”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

The location, staff, decor, and maintenance of this family hotel exceeded our expectations. Phuket can be a very third world place in every meaningful way, which should not deter travelers from visiting, but they have to understand that while Phuket may have all the potential to be a Hawaii (and more in many respects), it's most certainly not there yet. Villa Atchara made us feel like we were in Hawaii. All the rooms were spotlessly cleaned every day, a tasty breakfast appeared within minutes of our arrival, the pool was always clean, as were the grounds. The staff was always friendly and attentive. Villa Atchara is not a resort, but if you want a quiet place to serve as your headquarters as you explore Phuket thoroughly, Villa Atchara was always a great place to wake up in and come home to. Kudos to the owners and staff! You guys did a great job!

Room Tip: We stayed in Rooms 3 and 9. Both were clean and everything worked well. The shower was always hot i...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Putnik555

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Reviewed 31 July 2012

The staff here really went the extra mile. Ning, Tick and ben were wonderful - nothing for the children was too much trouble. It was safe, friendly, intimate and perfect for kids. All rooms and the bar overlook the central pool courtyard making it easy to relax with the family and giving the kids freedom to do their own thing. The menu was wonderful and patong beach is close by. We'll finitely be back.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Peace68
adelaide
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We are in residence at the moment--booked as a result of the overwhelmingly favourable reviews.
I have to say that the unfavourable reviews were probably written by people incredibly difficult to please.
The hotel is as good as three star gets, the rooms are spacious spotlessly clean light and airy, the breakfast of cereals,fruit juice,eggs and bacon, toast, fresh fruit and coffee.. is generous and cooked to perfection . the staff are always wreathed in smiles and cannot do enough for you.especially the diminutive housemaid who is four foot six of grin! After one night, my wife found the bed too firm to be comfortable so this litttle treasure simple folded the duvet[] doona if you are Australian] double to make feather bed and provided another one to cover us-problem solved! I have not been better served in the Paris Hilton or the George Sanq!!Could you beat this for 26 bucks a night per person including brekky? Thaiophile.Adelaide

Room Tip: A deluxe double on the third floor is perfect overlooking the pool with sunny balcony and excellent...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thaiophile
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I agree with others - it was lovely. Yes it is popular with European travellers but I don't hang out with folks at the hotel so that doesn't bother me at all.

I tried to think of some things that would be helpful - and here they are!

Location - The hotel is near the Novotel (my taxi driver had no idea), up the laneway on the right hand side. Some pics are provided.

Town - the town is to the left. Turning right and going for stroll looking for some brekkie results in a long, hilly walk to Kamala. - ok so I should have asked or looked at a map :)

Scooter Hire - the lady near the hotel is friendly - but gave me a very hard time when I returned the scooter - trying to blame me for dents and scratches that I had not caused. I would not rent from her again.

Tours - the Amazing Canoe tour to James Bond island (pink brochure) has a price printed but you can book it for half that price from the agents down on the beach front. Think I paid 900 Baht. Shop around. BTW the tour was great!

Overall - was fine for me!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank ally2010a
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2012

On arrival the welcome we received was very friendly, and first impressions were good. However we quickly realised that as a British couple (with a young outlook on life) in their early 40's, we were very different from all of the other guests.
The whole place has an air of a German Old Folks home, with most of the clientele having some form of ailment or mobility issue. It got to the point where we wondered if it was a Rehabilitation Centre linked to a German / Dutch / Scandinavian medical company ?
The Thai staff (and female owner - Parn) working in the evenings continued to be friendly throughout our 5 night stay, however the 2 ladies covering the breakfast / day shift soon let their facade slip, and they were barely communicating with us by departure day. This appeared to be caused when they notified us of a BBQ taking place on our 4th night, and we were invited at a cost of 600 baht each (£25 per couple). We declined, as we'd hired a car and would be out exploring. I can only guess that this 'snub' offended them.
Breakfast is adequate, nothing more. We had lunch there once - that was fine.
We've now stayed in about 10 hotels, for 100+ nights in Phuket over the last 4 years. Given the high rating, and previous good reviews for Villa Atchara we were disappointed. This hotel is nothing special, and certainly not 'a hidden gem' in our eyes.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JamesandNichola
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2012

The previous reviewer has it all so wrong. I'm not sure what they expect for the money they pay to stay at Villa Atchara. Perhaps they should have listed a comparable place in Phuket that is as good for value, service and cleanliness. I have personally stayed at Villa Atchara twice and have found the place to be a hidden oasis in Patong where nothing is too much trouble for the staff. I have also stayed all over Asia and the rooms at Villa Atchara are considerably more roomier than any other hotel I have stayed in. Parn and Johann do a wonderful job. Keep it up!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank johnnos5
Sierra Madre, CA
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I had a very pleasant experience during my stay at Villa Atchara. The staff was incredibly friendly, attentive and the hotel had a very intimate feel. I would absolutely stay here again traveling to Patong as the service cannot be matched. I told the front desk that I wanted to scuba dive during my stay in Phuket and they even introduced to one of the other hotel guests who gave me a good recommendation on a diving company. The hotel is situated just right up the road from the Novotel and the beach so it's a very short walk to the beach in the morning.

I opted for the Penthouse room and booked a couple of months in advance for the high season. It still ended up cheaper than what a lot of the popular hotels were offering for a standard room. If you are traveling solo, it is not absolutely necessary to book this type of room, however, being on the top floor I found it to be quiet and peaceful.

The room was very pleasant and clean with a separate living room area and two bathroom areas and very spacious overall. The master bath included a Jacuzzi tub as well. I chose to use the hotel's airport pickup services where I was picked up by a member of the staff and met at the airport. Very convenient as they take you straight to the hotel with out any hassles.

The only downside is that it's about a 15 minute walk to Bangla Road if you are planning to party. Tuk Tuk's are available and will quote you 200 Bhat but are negotiable down to at least 120. If you are adventurous, you can always rent a scooter for a daily moderate price.

Room Tip: Book the penthouse room if available
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo