“Not that impressed”

Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa
Ranked #35 of 337 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

This resort has several pool options, pool tables and ten pin bowling facilities, the free wifi in the lobby is hit and miss with connection and often no vacant chairs ( very stained chairs) the breakfast buffet Is quite good. This is very much a busy family styled resort. Not recommended for couples looking for a relaxing stay.
Some staff are really friendly but pool staff are not as attentive as we have found in other resorts.
Our cleaner was a lovely person but we had concerns that our room was not sufficiently cleaned and may have harboured bacteria.
Most guests we met had or still were experiencing the same stomach bug symptoms as us. The toilet block near the main pool had a stench so bad that you had to hold your nose as you walked by.
Resort is in need of a good steam clean and disinfecting. Quite dated and lacklustre appearance in the older wings. New apartments had construction site next door.
Location was good if you are happy being away from the hustle and bustle. Tuk Tuks and taxis easily organised or its a 15min walk to Bangla Rd.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank pOss_9
Write a ReviewReviews (2,848)

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We went to Graceland in the past (4 years ago) and it was lovely. Whole family started going there.
However they built a new wing called sunset wing. We thought we will pay extra to go stay in the new wing. First - after 2 days both my husband and I got violently ill. We got a pamphlet from hotel to inform us that tourist brought Noro virus into country. It is person to person spread. Well neither my husband nor I touched another person at the hotel. As a Medical scientist I am very concious of touching toilet doors,etc. I usually open them with a paper towel.
I could not eat, but went in mornings for a bit of yogurt. as breakfast was paid for already and they do not allow you to take a bit away for later. As I sat there I saw what caused this major spread of this virus. None of the dining staff wear hand protection. A child vomited on the floor right next to buffet table. There was no biohazard spill kit available. After 5-10 minutes a girl came in and wiped it up with a cloth. Them swept another cloth over are till dry. No disinfectant used.
Every person we spoke to in hotel was either sick, starting to feel sick or had family members who were already sick.
One night I ordered a Chicken burger as my husband was sick at that stage and I did not want to go out alone. So I ordered from room service. An hour later still nothing. We called again and was told 20 more minutes. When it eventually arrived it was all cold. 2 nights later I was feeling ill and thought I'll just try a ham and cheese sandwich. That arrived within about 10 minutes, but ice cold. Tastes like both the chips and sandwich was done the day before. The price tag for this room service is more than the average price of a very nice restaurant in any Australian city.
The new wing was nice but they started at 7am in the morning banging away on another building right next door till about 9pm at night. No such a luxury as an afternoon nap.
They only "free wifi" was in the lobby area. That was really slow and sometimes you just could not get on at all. The Furniture in this area was so dirty that you really did not feel to sure if you should sit down.
I am afraid this is the last time this hotel will see us again. It used to be lovely but I think they have gone too big now and lost the touch. Even small little things like the little shampoos and conditioners (that every tourist like to take as a souvenir) has been replaced by a bottle of shampoo and shower gel that does not foam even if you try. Well that must save them heaps because I could not take my little souvenir bottle again and bought my own shower gel and shampoo as theirs is so bad.
Seems like their chase after the mighty dollar is now too big! Quite sad that it turned out like that.

Room Tip: The rooms with pool view are nice but do not take the sunset wing until all the building next door i...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank l3n0r
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Overall, we had a nice stay here. We were "upgraded" on check-in to the new building, however when we got there the bedding configuration was wrong, so they told us we had to go back to the old section. Really disappointing! The new building rooms were really modern and fancy, as was the entire building. The old rooms were OK, but quite dated- didn't have the same "resorty" type feel as other places I've stayed. They were clean and spacious enough though.

The location is pretty good if you are looking for somewhere out of the way, but easy walking distance to Patong central. 200THB Tuk yuk if you are feeling lazy.

The MAJOR let down of this hotel was the fact they charged you for nearly everything. WIFI was quite expensive and the speed wasn't great. Other competing hotels offer free WIFI. There is free wif at the lobby if you can be bothered walking down everytime you want to use it. They also wanted to charge us THB 3000 to check out 2 hours late as my friend was really sick and we didn't want to wait down in the lobby for our transfer to the airport.

The buffet breakfast was good, but really busy at peak time.

A highlight was the housekeeping staff bringing my friend a cake for her birthday- a lovely surprise!

I think this hotel is great for families, plenty of things to do for kids. I would steer clear if you are a couple looking for a quiet romantic getaway- unless you don't mind kids everywhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JasonSyd1
Reviewed 9 October 2013

It was our first trip to Phuket and chose Patong Beach and this particular hotel on recommendation from our travel agent. Although I thought that overall the hotel was good value, clean and the choice at breakfast was great. We were housed in the building which boarders the far left hand side of the complex as you face it with your back to the seafront. Unfortunately right next door was an active building site which generally started up at 7am and some days didn't cease activity until 10pm at night. The noise was not overwhelming just irritating to be woken by it every morning! We still had a good holiday, even though we were also all sick during our stay our other bug bears were that the bar staff in the many body of the hotel were generally clueless, they messed up rounds, change & ran out of booze!
A few days of arrival we contacted our agent to explain that my parents who were booked for transfers back to the airport had actually inadvertently booked different flights home the day before us and they would therefore need separate transfers. Having been reassured that it was fine and she would sort it we didn't think anymore of it until their transfer to the airport didn't turn up! They then tried to shift the blame to us and tell us to take a cab and pay for it ourselves and tried to sort it out later! (Yeah like that would happen) after half an hour of arguing they agreed to sort it and a stressed out Mum & Dad got on there way. All in all not the best experience ever!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

It is a lovely place people are helpful I would recommend it when gokng out thought get taxi mr ken taxicab will take you every where for a cheap
Price don't book shows and elephant trekking through resort ask taxi driver they r locals get you good price and take you every where for 1000 bhat per day the tiger kingdom a must fantasies show a must weekend markets in Phuket itself are cheaper than week markets of patong beach
Bangla road must see at night

Stayed: October 2556, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trendywendy15
Reviewed 7 October 2013

First off I have to say when we were planning to go to Gracelands I read all the reviews about gracelands resort . I was in two minds wether to book or not as I was organising for a group of 25 people I eventually made the decision based on feedback from people we knew who had stayed there.our stay was for 10 days from the 9th of September.2013 I am so glad we booked and stayed at Gracelands. I really don't understand some of the reviews that have been posted There must be two hotels called gracelands.Alright if you got sick how is that the hotels fault ,so did a number of our group it was a 24 hour virus and It was the same one that was raging back home in Brisbane at the same time, If you believe you received poor service or feel you were treated poorly maybe examine your attitude. as the staff from check in to check out were really very nice , helpfull ,friendly and attentive . Ok they do not speak or understand English all that well. Do you understand Thai or the language of any other non English speaking country so why expect they should speak and understand English perfectly.. Yes i may sound annoyed but when you witness the way some people speak to the staff is it any wonder they may not be ulra obliging. To any one thinking about staying at Gracelands do it. It is in a fantastic location it is surrounded by restaruants , tailors ,coffee shops chemist ,7-11 stores. It is in a really great quiet location yet if you don't stop at every shop or stall on the way about a 15 minute walk to bangla road.and the main Patong tourist district. If you don't want to walk a tuk tuk or even a taxi ( tip don't book from the hotel walk about 50 metres in the lane outside the hotel 150 and 200 baht depending on how you barter. The pools are fabulous especially the sky pool.the breakfast is fantastic there is even an acredited halal restaraunt where you can also have breakfast ( obviously no bacon) but really nice and much quiter than the main restaruant. The grounds and gardens are perfectly maintained I read a review about a sewerage smell Yes we smelled a strange odour and when we investigated it was comining from the on site nursery it was the fertilizer they were using and it only smelt when they first applied it. I read complaints about the noise of the construction site next door It will cease when the building is finished unless you plan to stay in your room all day and it is only the sunset wing which is right next to it that is affected there is no issue. The rooms are clean new beds arrived while we were there. All in all a truly great place to stay for a great holiday in Phuket. No it's not for party animals and that's great too. Do yourself a favour stay at Gracelands .

Room Tip: Any deluxe room in the old section especiall the ground floor room 4016 was really nice as were all...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
18  Thank kelvin G
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We travelled with my family of 2A and 2 teenage children and another 7 families. We stayed in a Mini Family Suite which was very spacious. I was impressed with the size of our room and numerous pools. We have travelled overseas on numerous occasions, so I was extremely disappointed at the lack of customer service in this resort. Staff rarely spoke any English which was extremely difficult in particular with house keeping. Most of the 39 people in our group became ill at some point with either, vomiting, stomach cramps or diarrhoea for 24-48 hrs. Initially I thought the hotel was to blame as house keeping wasn't up to our usual standards, but to be fair it appears that many people we met staying in other hotels were also ill. So it may have had something to do with their wet season, not too sure. Breakfast was good although I personally didn't indulge after being ill but heaps of people seemed to enjoy it. I highly recommend dining at Roma's Italian Restaurant. I cannot speak highly enough of the owner and his wonderful staff. Coffee Club, Burger King , Macca's ,Nicky's Handlebar & Buffalo Steakhouse in Karon are also great Western places to dine. Overall we enjoyed our stay & wouldn't rule out staying here again, but would definitely consider staying in a newer resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family