“Great position, comfortable and friendly hotel”

Tropica Resort and Restaurant
Ranked #108 of 321 Hotels in Patong
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great position, comfortable and friendly hotel”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel is everything and a bit more than expected. For the price range you were not going to get ultra modern. Tropica has an old world charm, perfectly positioned in the heart of
Patong. Set back from Thaweewong Road it is an oasis. Lush gardens, sparkling pool and friendly staff. Language is at times a barrier but the smile and willingness to help make up for any misunderstandings.
The rooms are large enough and squeaky clean, with daily service and regular linen changes.

Position is one of the best features of this hotel. For a mature couple we had the beach across the road, Bangladesh next dope and Jungceylon a stroll away. Plus the pool was absolute heaven.

Breakfasts were more than adequate and once again I come back to POSITION.

We are in Bungalow 19 and yes you can hear the faint thump from Bungla Rd in the wee hours of the morning but it is not enough to disturbe your sleep

Room Tip: Try and book a room on the right hand side of the complex. We are on the left . , it is find but th...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I've spent here marvellous days from 14/09 till 30/09 and want to share my impression. First about location - its very good situated - on the corner of Bangla road and Patong beach - very close to the sea, and it couldn't be better. Also I liked very much beautifull jungle-garden where Bungalos hidden from visitors. About rooms - everything was perfect except poor working airconditioner. But it was ok, and I almost didn't mention that. staff was really good! very polite, careful and observant. They cleaned my room every day and every day maked an order in mess at my room after me :) it was very nice!
Especially I wanna tell my opinion about the restaurant - that was the best one along embankment - has affordable prices, 20% discount for residents, and great live-music band performing at the stage! they are so wonderful filippiners guys, especially singers - two pretty girls, (unfortunatly I don't know their names), but both are very professional, have strong voices (I never heard better performace for song "This girl is on fire"!!) and also they have wide repertuare - I was surprised that one girl could sing even russian songs by Alsy and Maksim, and some korejan and chinese songs - and I saw a lot of guests was very pleased and in small talks I found out that a lot of visitors come to the restaurant just because of that Filipinos-liveband, as I am. Well, I think this great place deserve to have such great band ;) Anyway its obviously that Tropica restaurant and hotel comlex is the best choice anyone could make, and I'd like to say thank you very much to the management and owner, thank you for my brilliant vacation, I will certainly recommend Tropica for anyone. I'm gonna visit Phuket again at New Years holiday, and of course I will stay here and hope listen again that wonderful Filipinos music-band and spend great time in tropica!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Vasil F
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We returned to Patong Beach after about 10 years and wanted to stay right in the heart of things and Happy to say we were not disappointed with the location.
On our arrival we had made arrangements to be collected from the airport and taken to the Tropica a great start to the Holiday, driver and Cab waiting for us at arrivals and only 700 Bhat
Check in was quick and easy and fast, even asking for the total amount for the 11 nights before we even got the key but after saying we were to pay cash and had to go to the exchange in the morning they let us in.
The rooms were a good size but as a big as they made them look on the web site. The rooms were cleaned every day with fresh towels, soap and drinking water ( 1 bottle each ) the bed was changed on several occasions with crisp white linen.
Breakfast is included and of a very good standard with ample choice including eggs cooked for you, Fried/Omelette I'm sure she would even have done scrambled or boiled, plenty of choice of other breakfast foods enough for anyone, Don't forget it's only a 3 star. Has to be said a great breakfast to start the day.
Restaurant was handy and a varied menu we used it on several occasions and enjoyed what we had.
The Rules - They do have several rules and one is that you cannot bring in outside food or drink in to the Tropica, We did every day we brought extra water from the little shop on the corner of Bangla Road, we took in our own mixers for our own Vodka also brought locally we even brought a bag of ice, snacks and biscuits, this was one rule I could not agree with very petty and unfair. I must say that what ever I brought in I took out to the bins opposite the Tropica.
Overall had a great stay and would like to thank all the hard working staff for making it special.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Been here to celebrate my daughters 16th bday, we love the place and the exotic gardens and kids loves the swimming pool , they have very friendly English speaking staffs, very polite< they even offer an orchids bouquet n card to greet my daughters bday. The room is typical but clean, breakfast buffets excellent for a King, They had a nice Filipino band playing in the resto at night. Hotel facing the beach of Patong, Very Close to the busy Bangla rd on the right side and the shopping center of JungCeylon> On the right side of the hotel you have travel trip stool and ready to book you for your island hopping or elephant trekking you can pay right away for 30 pounds for three persons and they will picked you up right in front of the hotel and bring you back with no puss n hassles. I love this hotel and I kept with me those beautiful shots of their exotic garden.

Room Tip: Close to everything, very exotic and close to the beach a haven of stay !
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mariandid
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Nice place next to rush and noisy Bangla rd. with excellent services. Rooms are cleans, space and light. No bugs, no cockroaches,.. Everyday clean towels, new soap, 2 bottles of water for free. During your reservation ask for the room on the right side of the compound (as far as possible from Bangla road) and you will get excellent and quite location for your holiday with 30 meters to the beach and everything around (shops, restaurants, bars, apotheke, massage, shopping,..)

Room Tip: Ask for the room on the right side of the compound (as far as possible from Bangla road) and you wil...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank janpinta
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This hotel is situated at the ever busy Patong beach road and within near walking distance to Bangla Road. What's lacking is the main signage to this hotel and there's only one narrow road (able to fit one vehicle) leading to the main reception. They provide a decent pool but beware of mosquitoes because it's the tropical concept. The room is alright, equipped with 40" LCD TV, fridge, hairdryer and safe deposit box. My room number was 014 and you can hear gigantic rats moving about in the ceiling towards the evening. You must keep the room door close at all times, otherwise the mosquitoes will start crashing in. The staffs were friendly and they speak good English too. The hotel owns a restaurant too and patrons of the hotel get 20% discount.

P/S they are currently doing some renovation and extension so given time, they'll look even better in future!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Claflin, Kansas
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Tropica hotel was a very nice spot close to the beach and all the action on Bangla road. The rooms are clean and very nice but they just had to many rules for me. First you cant bring outside food or drinks (I was stopped with a small grocery bag and six pack and was told I cant bring that to my room). The biggest one was that they charge a 500 baht fee for "guest". Im pretty sure I paid enough for my room I can have someone over if I want. But if your just in patong to relax (yeah right) or a couple traveling together this is a great hotel. If your a single traveler and are looking to party and not have hotel staff stop you for something half the time I would recommend going somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo