“Very nice rooms, great location. Restaurant has best food in Patong.”

Tropica Resort and Restaurant
Ranked #113 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Manhattan Beach, California
“Very nice rooms, great location. Restaurant has best food in Patong.”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

They charge 500 Baht to bring a girl back to the room. Very low compared to other hotels.

Free breakfast. Coffee is very bad. Food is good. Good variety. wonderful outdoor restaurant setting to enjoy breakfast.

The outdoor restaurant has the best food I have had, of the over 30 restaurants I have been to in Patong. Try the sampler plate. 5 delicious tasting items.
They have a live band that was very impressive. Nice voices, nice music, nice choice of songs. They make a wonderful setting to enjoy dinner. They play from 7:15 till midnight.

Room: Large size, clean, nice private outdoor patio to enjoy your coffee and read your tablet in the morning. VERY Nice garden setting.

Location: This is their strong point. Right on the beach. So you can walk to your room to use the toilet rather then pay and use the nasty public toilet. Only a 30 seconds walk to Bangla road... That is great.

I have now stayed at 12 hotels in Patong and this is my favorite.
I will return to this hotel mostly for the great tasting restaurant food and the wonderful live banc (think they are named The Vintage band). And of course the location to the beach and Bangla road.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be equally as good.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank HondaMike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Don't even think about it, don't walk away run. The photos look great, you get there and its amazing it's the same place, completely different in reality. We booked in for 4 nights, checking in late at night and were gone as soon as we got up. The dinning area was within 3 meters of a manhole cover and the smell was disgusting. This place (I wont call it a Hotel) would be less than what you get at a backpackers. No hot water in the sink as it was not even plumbed in.
I can go on but hopefully you have already taken my advise on gone looking somewhere else.
Just don't even think about it.

Room Tip: Go some where else
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gary S

Travellers are raving about these Patong hotels

Fanoe, Denmark
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Stayed 5 nights January 2014. Had booked a Superior Bungalow and a Standard Room
in advance.

On arrival we were informed that our Superior Bungalow was not available before the next day.
Meanwhile we had to take a room on the 1. floor (no. 207). This room was by far not up to our
expectation. The room appeared frowzy and not inviting at all. The standard room on the ground
floor (no. 106) on the contrary was absolutely nice, clean and spacious. Furthermore this room had
its own veranda. Asked for a refund because of the price difference between a Superior Bungalow and the room we got. This was denied and we did not follow up on this. Would wait and see our new room the next day. This was the Superior Bungalow which we had booked from the be-
ginning. Nothing to complain about here. Clean and neat. It looked that the bath room had
been renovated not long time ago. Comparing our booked standard Room with this Superior Room
it was hard to see the different exept for the bath room, where this room were separated into
three rooms by means of ´´half walls``.

Our Bungalow were situated to the left of the complex which is closest to the busy Bangla Road.
Yes, you could hear the music sounds in a distance but it did not disturb your sleep. If you want
to make sure to have as little noise as possible choose one of the bungalows on the right side
of the complex.

The staff was very kindly and helpful. Breakfasts were more than adequate. From the restaurant you can overlook the beach across the road. Linen and towels were changed several times during our 5 days stay. A set of towels were intended for the pool and were allowed to be taken to the beach as well. The whole hotel area is like a tropical garden. Well maintained and decorated with sculptures and the special thai pottery. It is of an advantage with the shadows in the garden in this hot climate.
Sitting on the veranda after sun down would recommend to buy a mosquito coil in the mart close by. The pool area is more open, where you can enjoy the sun. But the beach with a lot of water and sun lies just across the road of the hotel. You can find a small mart a few steps from the hotel.

Room Tip: Less noise from Bangla Road if you choose the bungalows on the right hand of the complex.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Seafarer44
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The first day we showed up at the front desk to get the paper work done they see my girlfriend and they charge me TB500 a day extra on top of that when I went to the room the bed was as hard as a rock!!! Anyway I checked out the next day @ the front desk told me early check out to avoid charge for two knights that's what I did but they still charge me for two knights wow what a hotel* I wouldn't resonant it to my enemy.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank conferter
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

In a nutshell this place is an over priced dive. They are hungry for your money but deliver nothing to deserve it. They tried to rip me off for a meal I never attended (£80 for new years eve dinner) and a towel the cleaner did not return.

Night one. I had a fabulous room (117) as promised on the internet. They said it was a family room so I would have to move the next day. Being a solo traveller. I accepted this.

Second room was an absolute hellhole. It smelt. Was so basic by comparison and the bathroom was a plastic hose shower that dripped. On refusal I was offered a room upstairs (61) to which the room looked barely acceptable but the neighbours were leaving the hotel after one night as it was so noisy. They kept telling me it's because I booked a standard room and that this standard was acceptable.

I declined that room too. I was finally put in 120 which is the same as 117 but smaller. A newly decorated. Very nice room.

However despite paying extremely high new year single supplement prices I was asked to pay more for a decent room.

I don't feel particularly safe here as a single girl travelling alone. There is only one flimsy lock on the doors.

In very short. The manager was willing to accept no responsibility for false advertising only saying they would do me a deal of 1500 Bart's per night instead of 2500! (Approx £25) for the better room. I already paid ridiculous rates. All the staff pretend to not understand until they want to get money from you and then their English is very good.

Whilst trying to sort my room. Three other guests left and complained heavily.

I could not leave as I paid in advance and was told NO refund. I was passed from pillar to post by my booking rep in uk Hayes and Jarvis and I am still waiting. All they kept saying was you booked a standard room. I said yes not a room that smells and is so poor. I argued for as long as I could bare. 15 hours later I had a sense of humour failure and said get me a room that is as you state on the net and I will stay there.

Through exhaustion. I gave up and I am staying in the substandard room of 27. It was consuming too much of my holiday time. I have paid to stay elsewhere for five nights as it is so poor. The tiles are cracked in the bathroom and the shower is weak. But working and hot.

Restaurant is rundown and basic. Food is poor and over priced. Local restaurants providing 5* service and food at a fifth of the price. The hotel give you a voucher staying 20% off food but then when I used it at the pool was told only counts in the restaurant. Despite having to go to the restaurant to order the food.

This hotel. I use the term loosely; is about what money they can get out of you. I ordered a taxi to the bus station it cost me 500 Bart's (£10) I booked a return at the bus station with no haggling for 200 Bart's. Money goes to hotel so they are obviously increasing all prices.

The manager is aggressive. The staff are useless and apart from hello and sorry. Keep repeating themselves as though you are an idiot. Until they want to charge you for items!!!

Four people at the desk gave up and just left whilst I was stood there. The manager would only talk to me on the phone and I had to demand to talk to her five times before they would call her.

The pool is nice if you don't like too much sun. It is shadowed by the trees but you cannot relax through the constant noise of the peacocks they have adjacent in the hotel.

The pool is small and warm. It has sharp edges on the internal steps which I cut my knee on badly twice. So be careful when using. The sun loungers are fine and in the afternoon the staff clean up the falling leaves but they make no effort to clean the loungers of used cups etc. To be fair hardly anyone is at the pool for long. The pool concrete path in areas is lifting and dangerous.

Whilst in the pool I noticed something scurry past me. And then again on the other side. Then I asked the guy next to me in the pool. Did you see that? There are rats! He said oh yes there are loads! I myself definitely saw four in one sitting!

You can go the beach which this hotel is ideally suited. It is across the road. It will cost 100 Bart's for a bed (£2).

As long as you just want to get drunk or come for the girls and nightlife. This is a perfect spot. Constant sellers of alcohol and refreshments and clothes etc on the beach.

The area is extremely noisy and busy. If you are here for nightlife and do not intend on sleeping much. This hotel is perfect as is the area of patong beach.

Overall
I have given the hotel and the restaurant more than four chances in case it was just a one off. It was not. The staff cannot be bothered; they are rude and insulting.

One of the local reps I used for trips said she dreads it when she sees her customers are staying here because they always complain.

Do not risk it. This ruined my New Years. I paid nearly £4k for this holiday to ensure I would enjoy it. Hayes and Jarvis did not deliver and neither did tropica bungalows.

I could go on and on but you get the picture.

I have stayed in some excellent hotels in Thailand at a fraction of this price. Do not stay here!

Room Tip: Pay for the new bungalows top whack or do not stay here at all
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Explorer051978
Geoje, South Korea
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We were really nicely surprised with the quality of the deluxe rooms on the ground floor we had with a tropical garden next to the pool. They are the newly renovated rooms so very nicely done. The older rooms looked a bit 'iffy' and probably not so nice. The place itself is quite old (I remember it from 1985 when I was there) and loacated right at the lively end of Patong Beach Road next to Bangla Road - It certainly is noisy in the evening and can be noisy during the day too. It's not for the faint hearted but there are lots of restaurants, marts, shops, beach-side stalls etc just outside the bungalows so it can be great fun for a few days. We really enjoyed it as did our two kids (10 and 13 years).
The staff are friendly but be careful as they can also be a bit 'forgetful' with the bookings and you may not be offered what you booked. You have to be tough to get what you booked sometimes. Breakfast was ok and there's a nice restuarant out front (German/Thai/International food) and not too expensive although the staff didn't seem to be too happy for some reason.
There are some great restaurants off the berach road near the hotel - try the Napoli Italian by the post office. Wonderful food and service.
Patong is full of Russians and Finns (it would seem) and can be a bit rough (even in the morning there were plenty of 'Tired and Emotional' people staggering around). Patong has now gone over the top and has lost a lot of the old crazy 'charm' it had so maybe to be avoided in the future. Shame.
All-in-all an interesting place to say if you get a good room (deluxe garden) and don't mind the crazy Beach/Bangla road scene.

Room Tip: Take a deluxe garden room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DPandMunchkins
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

This place is a dump - that's the only way to describe it. Our room was directly behind the restaurant kitchens. The bathroom 'window' was a piece of broken mesh meaning the sink was covered in loads of dead mosquitos and we could hear the nose of the kitchens all day. Then at night don't expect to get any sleep - the noise from Bangla road kept us awake the whole night with loud music pumping constantly. The photos on the website were probably taken about 20 years ago as the whole place was loud, dirty and completely dated. Given how much we payed we were totally disappointed as we stayed in other places at half the price that were much better quality. Would not recommend - this was the worst place we stayed in Thailand.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Alison P
tropica11, Manager at Tropica Resort and Restaurant, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
I have here a bit trouble understanding how someone can after 4 months make such a comment, if Ms. Alison was not happy with the room she could have easely asked for another room on the quiet side, which many guests do recommend in Tripadvisor.
She stayed in September, means low season and in this time we allways have rooms available.
So after 4 months she complains about a room which could be changed to a quiet room, with just a word to our reception staff.