“Great stay, would recommend hotel to others”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Baumanburi Hotel

Baumanburi Hotel
Ranked #181 of 319 Hotels in Patong
Melbourne, Australia
“Great stay, would recommend hotel to others”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I purchased 2 rooms via Wotif.com for myself, my daughter (14yrs) and two family friends (15 & 17yrs) for one week at the beginning of October 2011. I purchased the cheaper rooms for $36AUD ea per night including breakfast - as we were travelling for 1 month and on a budget.

We arrived at around 10am after an all night flight from Aus via Bangkok. We were fully expecting our rooms NOT to be ready due to our early arrival and opted to sit in the foyer/pool area without complaint until our rooms were available. We were called a very short time later and advised we had been 'upgraded' and our rooms were infact ready.

Our rooms were lovely, large and clean & quite. The beds were fantastic and that is coming from someone with a back complaint. We were on the top floor, the lift x 2 were close by and never had to wait more than 1 minute. The rooms were cleaned daily by very friendly and obliging staff. Sure there was a little bit of mould in the shower at times.. we are in Thailand!

The 3 girls choose to spend two entire days by the beautiful pool instead of heading out to the beach.

Breakfast was more than sufficient - not too sure what other reviewers have for breakfast at home each day but it certainly kept us more than happy - most days we didn't eat again until night time - can't be too bad!! I have paid upwards of $25ea for many a breakfast in Australian hotels for far less than what was on offer at the Baumanburi.

We ate at the hotel restuarant and found it to be very nice indeed and a great price. We also ate at Poo Restuarant - left outside the hotel and on the opposite side of the road (opposite the Mercure) - amazing food. The laundry service outside the hotel for 50baht a kilo is amazing value.

OTOP markets are right next door and offer great value. You will find everything you need at much cheaper prices than on beach rd. If your after a Taylor, head to Marriott Fashions, turn right out of the hotel (but stay on the same side), just past Otop markets and you will find Jamie & Raj at Marriott Fashions - opposite the Holiday Inn. Fantastic people and 'THE BEST' Taylors. We have been travelling to Phuket and have had clothing made for 16yrs - these guys are amazing and will give you exceptional service and quality clothing.

For a massage turn left out of hotel, past the Mercure to The Mango Tree - 3min walk. They offer one of the cheapest foot/thai massages in the immediate area with the friendliest women. The four of us visited everyday and even though they charge only 250baht an hour (less than $8 AUD) they quite often have 20% off.

All in all this hotel is great value for money and is in a great location for family's who wish to stay in Patong but keep their kids away from the 'real' nightlife on offer just down the road!!.

I think a lot of us wish that we can pay for a four star hotel and receive 5 star service. If you wish for 5 star service then pay the price for another hotel.

Well done Baumanburi - we will certainly return and we will be telling our friends to visit as well.

Room Tip: I have read that the front rooms are noisy due to the Hard Rock Cafe, but from what I saw the music...
7 Thank MrsTree67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth
Reviewed 22 October 2011

After reading previous negative feedback about this hotel I figured that it was best to set the record straight about our experiences as we just got home today!

We purchased a 5 night offer via Scoopon ( http://www.scoopon.com.au/deals/2782/just-349-for-7-nights-for-2-in-thailand-inc-deluxe-suite-breakfasts-massages-more-950-value ) which we extended for 2 extra nights - my wife and I are traveling with a baby (1.5 years old).

All went pretty smooth at the start. Redeemed the Scoopon and made the application via EzyStays Co Ltd (Australian arm is called Getaways Down Under). After getting my voucher for the hotel, I decided to e-mail the hotel to confirm some things like cot availability, type of beds in the Deluxe Room etc. At this stage I sent that e-mail on the 17th of October and still haven't received a response from them which upholds a negative communication comment prior.

We decided to see if we could get a room upgrade, so I emailed EzyStays and they eventually replied (over a week later) advising me that there was no room upgrades available. I called the hotel directly to which they advised that there was upgrades available but this would be at the standard rates via them directly so advised me to contact EzyStays to organise it as it would be a lot cheaper. This time a called EzyStays and they said that was none available again - I gave up on that idea at the time.

When getting to the hotel there was a welcome drink on arrival. This seems to be the same drink I saw everyone getting; it's nothing special. It tastes rather like blackcurrent juice, or, Ribena here in Australia in a martini glass.

Speaking of issues on arrival. There was a staff party on the day so all room service was closed. Not a very good start when you arrive and all you want to do is relax and get room service; we had to get dressed and go out! We do highly recommend the Oasis restaurant which is literally next door to the hotel!

We opted to pay for a room upgrade and got the Grand Suite to which there is only one of in the hotel. This room was effectively 2 rooms with a door between and it was a bedroom and big bathroom with a spa on one side and a lounge with kitchen and bar stools on the other.

Beds - if you like sleeping on rock solid floors, then this is your hotel! The beds were so firm that both my wife and I got back issues that forced us to get massages (not a bad thing there but not the point!) to help relieve the pain of their beds.

The Scoopon deal came with 2 free massages. Well, one would assume this would be via the hotel Spa. No sir! This was a voucher that you must ask for at the EzyStays desk in the lobby and you have to walk to BB's Massage which is around 100m away (past the Mariot Hotel next door).

The Scoopon deal was advertised with Free Wifi. Well, just like a read before with others, there is NO Free Wifi. When I queried this with the hotel they advised me to contact EzyStays (which were hit and miss being at their desk) but what the EzyStays rep did was purchase me a voucher for 2 hours use and then told me to come back if I needed more. I gave up on that idea after them not being at the desk and I wasn't going to wait around for them so I decided to pay for the access after getting nowhere.

The rooms were serviced daily; the staff are really nice there and like all Thai people, they love babies and children which really did make the trip for us! However having said that housekeeping never replaced the amenities like soap and shampoo and even occasionally forgot to empty bins but all they did do was sweep the floor daily; no mopping or anything. When glasses were dirty, they wouldn't replace them with new cleaned glasses, they would wash them in your sink (with only warm water - no dish soap_ and then place them back which is bizzare in itself!

The hotel offers a babysitting service which is a plus. However the downside is that it's pretty unreliable. I called one morning and was advised no babysitter was available only to ask the manager a few hours later to which there then was. I've learned that the hotel was 3 staff that are qualified to babysit and if they're working at the hotel at the time, they'll be removed from their normal roles and become a babysitter for you; if however they're not there or can't get in from their home to the hotel then there's no babysitting available. Do not rely on this; try to pre-plan prior with an external agency if you can. Having said that the babysitters we had were very good regardless (but you have to pay them 300baht cash per hour - not room chargable).

Room service menu was nothing flash; but after ordering from it we decided that only ordering Thai style food was best because anything western would've been better of making it ourselves ;-) They also seem to not collect your plates as other comments have stated. Commonly you can leave your plates out on the ground at your door and 24 hours will go by without collection; the housekeeping staff don't clear these; it would appear that room service staff will only remove them if they're passing by because someone else near you has ordered room service which is pretty lax.

The breakfast buffet downstairs was also pretty average. It was the same everyday and they'd attempt to interchange a couple of things only (like potato wedges to mashed potatoes to potato slices to diced potatoes with herbs and pancakes to pineapple fritters) The egg station make "OK" eggs - nothing to rave about comparing to another Phuket hotel we've stayed in though. Oh and no bacon - only ham in hot water; what the??! We opted on occasion to skip the buffet and go to the hotel next door (opposite the markets on the same side) and pay 299 baht per person; at least they had bacon!

Some comments here complain about the Hard Rock Cafe creating a lot of noise. This is true. If you stay in older side of the hotel (which contains the cheaper rooms) your room with back onto the street and you'll get some noise. We paid for a room upgrade so it didn't really affect us though - I felt more noise came from passing traffic than Hard Rock anyway.

We also had to report some faults with our room. The TV was faulty (well, it's on the way out and you have to keeping turning it off and on again - that's fixed!) The mixer tap in the shower was already loose and about to fall off - and it did. The ejection mechanism for the plug in the spa bath was broken and in pieces and finally the sliding door lock to the balcony didn't lock (a must have for a child!) These were all fixed with a maintenance staff member who seems to have a magic bag of tricks with him. But still, any quality 4 star hotel should have inspections and/or the housekeeping staff should report any issues if they see any, but they don't.

You'll find that a lot of the staff have little english and the hotel doesn't really go out of it's way to ensure that they all have a clear understanding of it which made it difficult on the odd occasion; they they always deferred us to other staff who did and there's several of those so any questions were resolved.

Last comment. This hotel feel like a 1970's hotel that hasn't had a makeover. Yes it seems to be a cheaper hotel. I'd like them to get a professional review on a star rating; it's not 4 - this is more like a 2 to be honest - you may be able to squeeze a 3 but I doubt it. It's very close to the markets next door and a short walk to the beach and probably a 10 minute walk to the Bangla Road. Use the washing service for 50 baht / kilo which is literally next door and they'll have your washing back at 6pm the next day! Power adapters aren't required either for Australia as it's a universal socket - some earth pins arent available (the one on the middle) but look around the room and you'll find one or two.

After experiencing this hotel? We would not recommend this to anyone unless they're on a tight budget and willing to make compromises on quality.

5 Thank AmbientII

Travellers are raving about these Patong hotels

Perth
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Having booked our accomadation thru Ezistays we were a bit concerned after reading various reviews. I emailed both the hotel & Ezistays a week before our arrival to re-confirm our booking and got almost an instant positive response from the hotel.
We arrived at the hotel at 11.00 having left Perth at midnight, hoping to just store our baggage until the 14.00 checkin, but was given the good news that our adjoining rooms were available straight away.
All the staff that we dealt with were friendly and helpful, particularly the pool bar staff.
The rooms were made up daily without dramas, although I am sure that 2 young teenagers would have tested their patience.
Breakfast choice was limited but still statisfactory given that it was inclusive of the cheap room price.
The location was central to both shopping and the beach, whilst the Hard Rock Cafe was just 2 minutes away.
I have stayed at worst hotels for a lot more money and would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to anyone who was looking for a budget hotel in Patong.

3 Thank Paullie08
hamilton, N Z
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We stayed in 2 pool access rooms. Rooms were a reasonable size and the single beds were nice and wide. The grounds and eating areas were well maintained. The reception staff were friendly.There was a large choice for breakfast. We were In Patong to olok and shop and needed to be central. This hotel fitted the requirements and was a very good price. Our 2 pool access rooms smelt a bit,( but then so did most of Patong). It was possibly dampness but smelt better after a few days. The bathroom needed a bit of paint and was just a bit tired looking. I would still recommend for people within a certain price range.

1 Thank JBRHam
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I'm warning people do not stay here. We booked through ezy stays only to arrive at 2am aus time after travelling for 12 hours to find that we didn't have a booking. I'm not sure who was to blame for that mishap but I had spoken to the hotel on many occasions regarding an upgrade and had this confirmed. I was told that there was no upgrade and no booking so you can imagine my frustration. They eventually put us in a room for the night. Once in the room I had to be moved to another room straight away because it was extremely dirty. When I got into the second room and went to have a shower I noticed that there was an open manhole above the shower. This room was also dirty but by then I had given up. My sister who wa travelling with us also got a dirty room and there was a big hole in the drain of the shower.

Breakfast left nothing to be desired and there is no air conditioning while eating.

Ezy stays moved us to another hotel but I hate to imagine what other problems we would've come across.

On the note of ezy stays I urge people not to book through them a I believe they have false advertising.

• Stayed September 2011
4 Thank Miamax11
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed 12 October 2011

My husband took me to Phuket as a surprise birthday present and instead of staying at the mercure as we always had done before, he thought we'd try a pool access room at the Baumanburi. Overall, the hotel was pretty good. When we arrived, the staff member was concerned that there was only one pool access room left and it had twin beds and not a queen. Without hesitation he offered us the junior suite. We decided to turn the offer down as twin beds really weren't that big an issue as they are quite big beds and we were really looking forward to using the pool directly from our balcony. The room was set out really well. The room service was prompt and tasted delicious. Everything in Patong is directly within walking distance of the hotel. The only dislike was that breakfast was a little disappointing compared to the Mercure and after ordering room service at one time, our plate remained outside our door for over 24 hours. With that aside, I really enjoyed our stay. The pool was fantastic and the staff were quite helpful.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Aussie_Dan_1980
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My family & myself had booked 3 nights at the Baumanburi. Great location, most staff friendly but definatley not a 3 star, more like 2 star and in need of a refurb. Upon check in we were shafted up the front of the hotel (nearest to road) and our toilet and shower didn't work. We did get it fixed fairly quick. The music/band's from the Hard rock cafe below was loud and didnt stop until 11pm (could look out the window and see it & hear it all clearly). I'm guessing we were placed there as we had booked a HOT deal on WOTIF. I would think that the rooms closer to the pool would of been much nicer and quieter. Breakfast's were ok, the egg station great! I wouldnt stay here again if I could help it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the pool
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family