La Vintage Resort (Former Poppa Palace Hotel)
Patong Paragon Resort & Spa(Patong)(Great Value!)
US$80
  • Breakfast included
US$146
Amari Phuket(Patong)
US$132
US$111
Hotels.com
Deevana Patong Resort & Spa(Patong)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$103
US$122
US$113
Marriott Hotels
Patong Merlin Hotel(Patong)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$89
All reviewsorange restaurantpatong cornerdeluxe studiobangla roadfamily roomwalking distance to beachair conbangla rdquiet hotelacross the roadquiet streetswimming poolsmall balconydecent sizerooms are cleanthai massagewi fi
Reviewed 16 December 2008

Pros:
- Clean, basic rooms
- Good location (Close to Patong night life, but far enough to avoid the noise; Walking distance to beach, Lots of eateries nearby)

Cons:
- Not so friendly Staff (Especially the Front Desk; we were greeted by frowns when asking for late check-out.)
- Water pressure of shower is too low
- Breakfast spread is limited, and the quality of food was so-so (sausage and ham were tasteless)

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2008

The poppa palace advertizes being a "small but luxurious hotel", but in a nutshell, the reality is more like "standard and overpriced".

The check in was ok, and the first impression of the room was average. This is your standard holiday hotel. At 1500 baht a night however, one can expect more.

Details:
- The room has a tiled floor and some tired looking wooden furniture.
- size of the room is okayish
- there is a small tube tv with some 20 channels that include bloomberg tv, the french tv5, bbc and the russian rtr.
- the hotel has wifi internet, which is priced 600 baht for 4 days or 200 baht for one day, which again is okayish. The service had outages.
- the bathroom is this hotel's weakest point: first, it is very small (in fact so small that hotel staff places the towels in the bedroom). I dont mind showers, but i want to have some flexibility with a hose or something instead of an antiquated shower head in a fixed position. Not convenient to wash your feet for example.
Another weak spot in the bathroom is the poor lighting. They obviously were already criticized on that point and placed a bright light in the shower, but the lighting near the mirror is still very weak.
- the pillows are rather hard and uncomfortable
- the breakfast is fresh, but offers few choice. You got coffee, tea, toast bread, butter and 2 kinds of jam, 3-4 thai breakfast dishes (for example fried rice), eggs, salad, fruits (pineapple and watermelon), some industrial grade juices.
- the location of this hotel is its main strength: the beach is 3 minutes away on foot and there are many restaurants nearby, as well as the main entertainment venues on bang na road. While we were staying at the poppa though, the was some building going on in the vicinity. They were doing the anchoring, and the groung shook every five seconds. It didn't disturb us much though, as it started late (about 10:00) and stopped early (like 15:00 or 16:00).. Thai work schedule!

We thought to check out after the first night, but since we prepaid with a thai agent, we saved the hassle to get the money back.
My overall impression with this hotel is "okayish while overpriced".

The hotel's mission statement to be a small but luxurious hotel is met only regarding it's size.

Since any review of a hotel in Thailand is from my point of view incomplete without information on the joiner fee policy, the hotel stated that a joiner is charged 500 baht. I suspect this may be waived if you book a double room.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2008

3 of us stayed 3 nights in this hotel from 15th Sept to 17th Sept.

Location : I would say it is very central, very near to the 200 year old road; and using the back lane, only a short walk to Beach road. Hotel is also very near to Jungceylon - and that pleases my wife. Nearby, one will find construction work ongoing at the moment and it may get a bit dusty and noisy.

Room : The deluxe room was a little small for the 3 of us (with an extra bed in it). The showeroom/toilet is really small. We asked for a kettle and hairdryer prior to our arrival and was very pleased to find that they were put in our room before our arrival.

Breakfast : As it was (extremely) low season - largely due to rooms cancellation, we find the breakfast rather limiting in choice.

Staff : Again due high room cancellation, we got all the help we ever needed and more. Ms Ann (whom i corresponded with via email for my hotel booking) was extremely helpful and accomodating.

I would only stay in this hotel if my stay is short (not more than 3 days).

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2008

Paid very cheap for a balcony room, so I didn't have my expectations up - just a good basic room. They were expecting me when I got in, allowed early check-in and the hotel room was really very nice - nice touches, clean and sanitized, and great value for the price. The decorations were tasteful, and though the pool was a bit small (it is marketed as a small but luxurious hotel after all) there weren't too many guests lounging and you can have it by yourself... that is if you want to with Patong Beach (and Rat-U-Thit Road) just 5 mins away.

They surprised me with a birthday cake, flower basket and card on my bday...! It was a very nice touch, and apart from the room I loved the hotel staff with no exception, especially Koy who helped me book all my tours.

Breakfast was okay, mostly Thai / vegetarian meals. The internet is a bit slow, but good enough if you just want to get in touch with people at home. The only downside is the location - as you need to pass by a small soi going back to the hotel which makes you a bit wary after dark and some transfers will just drop you off the main road. However, there are a few guesthouses along the 5-min walk which makes you feel safe, and a nice restaurant and massage place across the street.

Overall, would suggest to everyone.. just maybe book with someone else (as I travelled alone) since the beds are large and you would want a companion walking back "home".

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank ileina
Reviewed 28 May 2008

My stay at Poppa Palace with my family is a pleasant one. Had a nice impression on the hotel when browsing through its website when deciding on the hotel for our phuket trip. Firstly, is because of its name "Palace" and secondly is the nice decoration and we weren't dissapponted at all as the hotel appears just how it looks like on the website. The staffs are friendly and tried their best in answering our queries. Feel welcome when we first reached the hotel with them serving us each a glass of cold orange juice. Although the hotel is not located at the main street, it is only a 5 min walk away and the beach is about 10 mins walk away. Despite the swimming pool is small but it has a jaguzzi which we went to relax ourselves. Their breakfast is nice and they have an egg station which is our favourite. In short, this is a nice hotel and worth giving it a try.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family