“A brand new hotel, there's still room for improvement”

Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Ranked #5 of 321 Hotels in Patong
Hong Kong, China
“A brand new hotel, there's still room for improvement”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Let's talk about some nice parts of this brand new hotel: Nice pool view from the hotel room. A wonderful location, easy to get to shopping markets, spa and massage places, restaurants...etc. Everything in loud and crowded Patong. In fact, the hotel is not totally ready for service, we saw some works were in progress when we arrived. The workers even worked in my next door, I saw them when we got up for breakfast. Talk about the breakfast, actually the "breakfast buffet" is included in my booking when I reserved it paid through this online agency. But the staff in restaurant asked me to pay for the breakfast without calling reception for confirmation, when I told her that the breakfast should be included in my booking,she asked me to talk with the reception myself. I was like"@.@what?really?" . The problem is finally solved after I talk to the reception myself and they checked the information of my booking and said sorry. I believe that things can improve once everything is ready, and probably new-employee training is needed.
Overall, most of the staff are friendly and professional, it's a good stay anyway.

4 Thank Jamie L
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Jamie L,

Thank you very much for choosing our property and for writing a review that will i am sure, help us improve our standards and procedures in future.
We have since then contacted Booking.com and informed them about the issue. It appears they had confirmed Breakfast to yourself and a few other guests while reservations in our system were registered as room only.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience caused and have already resolve this matter internally. There is still plenty of training and fine tuning to be done and your comments are indeed very helpful.

Please let me take this opportunity to thank you for your positive and very kind comments about our team and property.

Sebastien

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for four days mid april.

Minor issues, staff needs more training on communication in terms of billing.

Other than that awesome location, rooms, bathroom, pool, breakfast.

Great pool and breakfast staff, excellent chamber maids.

Probably best bed i have ever had at a mercure.

Attention to detail is wonderful.

Staff when i checked in young guy with spiky hair, was execllent. Girls at breakfast were fantastic, all of them.

General manager was simoly oustanding and he is the reason why i stay loyal to the accor group.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear AK7811,

Thank you very much for this wonderful review of our property.
As you correclty mentionned, there are still plenty trainings and adjustments to be made, not only at the reception but in all areas as we wish to make it GRAND and provide authentic memories to every single guest of ours.

IThank you so much for your kind comments about the rooms and service... I will take this opportunity to thank our heads and their teams on your behalf.

As mentionned, please do not hesitate to contact us directly for further enquiries or trips to Patong.

Jonkoping, Sweden
Reviewed 3 May 2014

After seeing so many "excellent" reviews for this Accor property here on Tripadvisor, I decided to spend my remaining 2 nights in Phuket at this hotel and made my reservation through an online travel agency as I found a great last minute deal online. My whole stay was encountered with so many "bumps" that I actually would have rated this hotel "terrible" if it wasn't for the hotel management that showed me true Thai hospitality and did their very best to service recover my problems.

Problem started already at check-in, as I was requested an "early check-in" and got told by the receptionist that my room would be ready within 30 minutes. As I knew that all requests could only be accommodated to "subject to availability" I showed understanding and sat down for a coffee at the lobby lounge waiting for my room to be ready.

At this point the whole check-in procedure seemed to be done as I got told that I could just pick up my room keys within half an hour when the room is ready. 3o min later I went back to the reception, which the person who checked me in was not present anymore, hence I asked another girl whether my room was ready a not, this person looked rather confused, not knowing that I was waiting for my room at all, which she then made a phone call and informed me that I would need to wait another 20 minutes for my room to be ready. I asked her then why the person who checked me in at the first place told me to wait 30 minutes when it actually require about 1 hour to be done, that I could rather go out and return back instead sitting at a hot lobby waiting for my room to get ready. She apologised and says that I could go out and return if I would like to, which I replied her at this point its no use and I sat down once again waiting for the room. She approached me at the lobby bar and offered me a “coke” if I wanted to, which I declined as I already had my coffee.

25 minutes later, still nobody approached me at the lobby bar informing whether my room is ready or not (at this point they should know that I was waiting) which I once again needed to go back to the reception inquire for my room feeling ignored. Finally, they showed me to a room located at ground floor of the hotel.

After a rough flight I was suffering a bad headache, hence I took a quick shower trying to get some rest and sleep in the room. The room was not quite at all as there was lots of constructions noises coming from every angle of the building. I tried my best not to get bothered from the noises as I at this point was very tired after taking my medicine and tried to sleep. Just when I was about to fall asleep I heard hammering noises within the building, which I once again at first tried to ignore the noises and tried to sleep, for about 20 minutes everytime I was about to fall asleep the hammering noise occurred which made me quite irritated and I called to front desk and asked what was going on, explaining that I hear somebody hammering in my near surrounding. The telephonist apologies and said she would investigate and call me back, in about 10 minutes, nobody called me back, but the hammering was still ongoing, I called back a second time and repeated myself that “why are somebody hammering”?, the telephonist apologised again and say she will “find out”. 5 minutes later, a lady called back to me back apologising that my room was “not relaxing” as she explained that they tried their best to offer the first room available for me, but if I wanted I could change to another room. I explained to the lady that I was very tired not feeling well and I just need a quite room to rest, so if they have another room that is quite then I would like to change.

She replied that she would find out an available room and call me back once as soon as possible. 10 minutes later she called me back and say she will arrange another room for me at the other side of the building; hence I needed to repack my stuff for moving to the new room. At his point, the whole process has been taking about 30+ minutes, which I was still waiting for room change with a pounding headache. Finally the girl I previous met from the reception came to the room for escorting me to the new one, her attitude was very service minded and polite, however did she not read my mood as I obvious very tired, when asking why they are still doing construction at the building, she replied back to me that there are no construction going on whatsoever in all the three buildings and she would have to “investigate”.

She brought me to the very end to the other side of the building, which on our way there I noticed that there actually were even louder constructions noises coming from the neighbours (outside the hotel building). When arriving to the new room, she asked me if the room was fine, and we stood a while inside the room to see if it was quite enough, I replied back to her, that I can stand the construction noises from the street as long there are no hammering inside the building and she assured me that there are no construction going on and she then left. Still concerned about the hammering noises I sat on the sofa trying to catch some rest, and just within 3 minutes there was once again somebody hammering but this time even with drilling noises within the building. At this stage I was furious calling back to the reception asking them why the put me in a room with even louder construction noises than previous one?! Once again the telephonist apologised and replied she will call me back. Within 5 minutes the lady who offered me to change room called me back explaining that if this room was not to my satisfaction she could arrange a third one, but this is the “last” room she can offer to me as she said that they are located in town and sound and constructions is to be expected, I explained to her that it isn’t the sound from outside that is the problem, but the hammering and drilling INSIDE the hotel building that was bothering me.

She politely offered me to change once again and say she will personally escort me to the third building. 5 minutes later she brought me to a new room in the “center” of the hotel building, which she said that this side do not have any “neighbours” hence there shouldn’t be any sound disturbing me. On our way to the room, I did notice that there were constructions going on within the building, as they were somebody maintaining the floor. However, we arrived to the room and this time there were no more hammering or drilling noises and I could finally settle in for some sleep. After closing the door, I noticed that the room was not clean as there was dust and hair behind the door, but at this point there was no way I would get bothered by anything, anymore and I went straight to sleep.

My story would have ended happy there, as I after waking up felt much better feeling less from my headache, but it turned out that it was far from over. After waking up I tap up some water in the bathtub, as I wanted to take a relaxing bath to recover myself. As the water run I noticed that the colour of the water was not the usual as it turned very yellow-ish. After tapping the water for 5 minutes, it remained very yellow so I was once again needed to call asking why the water is yellow. The telephonist, once again with a very friendly attitude, apologising for my inconvenience and replied she will send somebody to have a look. 5 minutes later they called me back saying that she have spoken to the engineering that I would have to tap out the water for 5-10 minutes and after that I should be alright. Not wanting to make anymore fussle, I turned on the water, which it remained yellow after 15 minutes of tapping. Finally I decided to skip the bath and just took a very quick shower in this unknown yellow water… At this stage my state of mind was already giving up as I can’t find anymore energy for complaining nor reacting for something that I find very easy to provide for a hotel, such as quite environment and usable water. Not thinking about my issue anymore I was heading out for dinner, which on my way through the lobby the girl who helped me to move room the first time saw me an approached me and asked if my room was alright. I thanked her for the effort and said that the room is now quite, but if she could however fix my water issue as I said it was very yellow and I even showed her the picture of it. Although her friendly attitude, she explained to me that “yellow water” is a common problem in the Patong area?!?! That the apartment she was staying at has the same problem, however did I think for myself how this explanation would help me? And I was very doubtful that other hotel guest would face this issue without complaining!? However did I told her that I would need to go out and that she please could take care of the issue and she said she will do her best.

40 minutes later when I came back to the hotel entering the room, the yellow water that I tapped up in the bathtub was still there and it seems that no one has even entering my room to resolve my issue. Left without any options I once again went down to reception approaching the same girl asking her if my issue has been resolved. The girl replied that unfortunately that they could not do anything about my water issue and the director of rooms would speak to me regarding this matter. She then offered me bottled water, to brush my teeth if I did not wanted to use the tap water? I did notice the director of rooms which she at this point was occupied with some other guest, so I was waiting for her meanwhile I was heading towards concierge inquire for activities for my stay in Phuket. 10 minutes later the director of room had ended her conversation with the guest but was now occupied in the phone and the girl was not present anymore. I decided to wait a bit longer, which then the director of room “disappeared into the office” completely ignoring me. I got notice of the girl once again and said to her, if the director of rooms are too busy having conversation with me and that the hotel cannot resolve my water issue so I just can take a simple shower, I wanted my money refunded and I would move somewhere else.

Upon this point I did showed understanding that the circumstances occurred was not done intentionally, but I did felt that there was this constant “lie” and “excuses” going on all the time, that there wasn’t any construction going on, or that all patong water is yellowish?? The girl replied that once the director is off the phone she will get her and she will come out and talk with me, hence I gave it another chance and waited a bit longer.

After a while Maria, the lady who helped me with room changes came and had a conversation with me instead. Maria was very friendly and did her best to find out what she could do for me. I explained to Maria that I just wanted a quite room with functional water, which seemed very hard for the hotel to provide, so I decided to leave and book my stay at another hotel. Maria promised me that she will do the best she could and that if I just could give her another 5 minutes. She came back very apologetic and said that unfortunately the water issue cannot be resolved. I thanked Maria and say that I will move the first thing tomorrow morning, that I will not spend anymore time for the evening complaining nor trying to resolve that I believe is what is basic for a hotel to provide.

What happens hereafter is one of the most outstanding service experiences I ever encounter during my many stays in hotel around the world. As I was heading back to my room after my evening out (around midnight), the general manager of the hotel, Mr Sebastien Troncet was waiting for me at the lobby greeting me and apologies for all the incidents occurred during my stay so far. Mr Troncet explained to me that he was aware of my situation and that he could not let me stay at the room with useable water, hence he offered me another room on another sister hotel of theirs. At this point I was quite tired but was very thankful for Mr Tronchet offer and accepted his suggestion. Once again I repacked my belonging and Mr Tronchet was the one personally driving me to the other hotel. As a general manager of the hotel, Mr Tronchet really set the example for what true Thai Hospitality is and I was very touched and thankful for his gesture waiting, greeted and personally driving me to another hotel.
Although I ended up in another hotel for my stay for the evening for moving to a third hotel the next morning, the service experience with Mr Tronchet and Maria on the Grand Mercure is something beyond my expectation.

I am currently writing this review on the third hotel I am staying at, which once again need to wait for my room to be ready, however I am enjoying an complimentary drink at the hotel lobby bar, where the staff do acknowledge my request for an early check-in and informed me that they will come and get me once my room will be ready. To Mr Tronchet, thank you for taking your valuable time talking to me yesterday, however do I believe that the circumstance did not had to turned out so complicated if the issue would have been resolved more efficient and that the staff would have acknowledge the problem in the first place. I do believe that Grand Mercure, Phuket do have potential to be the greatest hotel in Phuket, however, there are still a few points that needs to be improved in order to get there. I hope to get another opportunity to “really” staying at this property next time I visit Phuket.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mac K
Dear "Mac",

First of all, please kindly accept our most sincere appologies for all the inconveniences caused during your very short stay with us.
It is unfortunate we were not able to manage things differently and once again, i wish to appologize for these unfortunate episodes...

During these pre-opening stages, we have been managing so far noise and other disturbances the best way we could. Construction work for the 300 rooms and 14 villas is finished and we are only working on interior design of the rooms. Some deffects work on the corridors were unfortunately being conducted during this period and they are now done and completed.
The water however is something we have no excuse for. Water in patong area has became a luxury following the worst drought Phuket had to endure over the last 30 years.

Most properties in the area have to switch between municipality water (if any), fresh water being delivered by trucks or use their own well. We have invested in a state-of-the-art water filtration system and despite all our efforts, were not able to make it crystal clear. The water condition is now better and we have purchased enough fresh and filtered water to use for another few months, awaiting for the rainy season to start.

I wish to also thank you for this very "generous" rating considering all the inconveniences you had to go through. It is difficult to appreciate the power Trip Advisor has over hotels as it can easly make or break the reputation of any property. I am glad I was able to meet you in person and assit you the best i could in finding a solution, even temporarely, to the problem we were facing.

Thank you very much once agin.
Sincerelly looking forward to welcoming you back soon in Patong.

Best personal regards,
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 May 2014

For a start, Grand Mercure Phuket Patong is a very new hotel. I would say that it is about 80-90% completed and there were some minor renovations going on. However, credit should go to the General Manager, Mr. Sebastien for ensuring that the ongoing renovation did not place any kind of inconvenience to the guests. Mr Sebastien and Miss Sumontha, the Executive Assistant Manager were very hands-on and were seen very frequently doing their rounds ensuring the smooth operation of hotel.

The hotel is located in the heart of Patong, 10-15 mins walk to the beach, Jungceylon shopping malls and the famous Bangla Road. Eating places and shopping stalls were just across the hotel. Good thing is that the terrain of the hotel was slightly higher than surroundings land, it maintained a sense of serenity and a classy feeling.

The hotel has a very nice decor. Rooms are very modern while the common areas retains a good mix of resort and modern decoration. What I really like about the room design is that it has a really deep bathtub and side skirting which enable water that overspills to flow into it, avoiding having very wet floor after using the bathtub.

I would certainly look forward my next visit and would recommend this hotel who those whom are in search for warm and quiet hotel in Patong. I would certainly like to thank the staff staffs, especially Mr. Sebastien and Miss Sumontha for our wonderful stay from 29 Apr - 2 May 2014.

Thanks

Regards

Adrian and Stacy

Room Tip: The rooms facing the pool areas are very nice
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Adrianlsm,

Thank you very much for such a wonderful review of our property.
It was a great pleasure to welcome you both and we are delighted to hear you had a tremendeous stay with us.
I will surely take this opportunity to thank Sumontha and the rest of our team for their dedication and most personalized service and sincerelly look forward to welcoming you back in a very near future.

with Kind regards,
Poissy
Reviewed 28 April 2014

- Cet hôtel est très bien situé, à seulement quelques minutes à pieds de la plage, proche des centres commerciaux et des activités nocturnes et mais, sans en avoir les nuisances.
Cadre très agréable, Chambre spacieuse ave une Excellente literie, très bon restaurent (petit déjeuner et repas), jolie piscine (avec son bar les pieds dans l'eau), spa et salle de sports avec tout ce qui est nécessaire pour éliminer les cocktails (avec prix très raisonnables, c'est rare pour une 5 étoiles)...bref, le Bonheur !
A noter que le personnel est souriant et Très attentif. Le manager de l'hôtel, Sébastien, prodigue de très bons conseils sur les différentes possibilités qui s'offrent à Phuket. et ai d'une accessibilité que je n'avais jamais vu ailleurs.
Nous faisions parti des 25 premiers clients de l'hôtel puisqu'il a ouvert le 1er avril et pourtant, nous n'avons pas été perturbé par la fin de la construction des villas sur la partie arrière de l'hôtel.
Ma femme et moi, recommandons vivement cet hôtel et y retournerons sans l'ombre d'un doute. Nous pensons que notre prochain séjour sera avec nos enfants. Encore Merci et Bravo pour l'accueil et pour l'attention qui nous a été portée.
- This hotel is very well located, just a few minutes walk from the beach, close to shopping centers and nightlife activities but, without having the nuisance.
Very pleasant, spacious Bedroom with an excellent bedding, very good restaurant (breakfast and lunch), nice pool (with bar feet in water), spa and gym with all that is necessary to remove cocktails (with very reasonable prices, it is rare for a 5 Stars)... in short, Happiness !
Note that the staff is friendly and very attentive. The hotel manager, Sebastien, provides great advice on the various options available in Phuket and have an accessibility that I had never seen elsewhere.
We were among the first 25 guests since it opened on 1st of April and yet we were not disturbed by the end of the construction of villas on the back of the hotel.
My wife and I highly recommend this hotel and would return without a doubt. We believe that our next trip will be with our children. Thanks again and Bravo for the welcome and the attention that has been given us.

Room Tip: Difficile de choisir car toutes les chambres sont agréables. Le choix est avec accès direct à la pis...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Cher Serge,

Merci enormement pour cette fantastique review.
Cela a ete un plaisir de vous recevoir tous les deux et esperons vous revoir des l'annee prochaine, avec vos enfants.

Je profiterai de cette occasion pour remercier l'ensemble de notre equipe.

A tres bientot j'espere,
Cordialement,
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just opened some weeks ago, this hotel is located around 700 meters from city centre and 10 minutes by foot from the beach. Very quiet, with a kind staff, enjoy to help you, restaurant with good international and thai food, original recipe very tasty, good wine and nice cocktails. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Some have a direct access to the swimming pool. In few words, it's a nice and quiet hotel where if possible I will come back.
A proximité (moins de 3 minutes) tous les commerces (restau, family market, bars, echoppes ...) bref séjour trés agreable sans qu'il n'y ait eut de probleme.

Room Tip: some rooms have direct access to swimming pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank RicFromSlavutic
Dear Ricfromslavutic,

Thank you very much for writing such a wonderful review of our property.
We are deligthed to see you enjoyed your stay as well as a few of our culinary delicacies. I will take this opportunity to thank our Chef and service team on your behalf.

Once again, thank you for choosing our beautiful Resort during your last holidays in the kingdom.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Such a great hotel ever, Very nice hotel good location and great service, All Staff very friendly.. Especially front line staff we could say " All you are Excellent" We had a good memorable at your hotel during my vacation... Thanks

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Sara-WAree
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Sara-Waree,

Thank you very much for this very kind review of our property.
We are glad to note you had a most enjoyable stay with us and are very much looking forward to welcoming you back in a near future.

Thank you very much.