“Bad” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Mercure Phuket Patong

Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Ranked #5 of 319 Hotels in Patong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Great location right opposite the markets. The staff wer excellent on arrival and departure, every need is met, including some bottles of water when we mentioned we were hot. Such fantastic service in Thailand but this one was the best of the 3 hotels. The foyer was beautiful to sit in and the pool area was nice. The buffet breakfast was good but it took me a while to get a coffee, the previous hotel you could get your own freshly ground from a few machines ready to go.
I would stay here again definately. Nice modern rooms and bathroom. Was only here for one night but would recommend highly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa197555
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Melissa 197555,

Many thanks for this wonderful review!
It is always a pleasure to see guests living happy and the only reason why we are here to be honest :)

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon!
Warrnambool, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 7 nights. As a family of 6 we needed two rooms and we requested either side by side or preferably interconnecting. I was informed we would be able to have interconnecting which I was happy about. I also requested a baby sitter on our first night as it was our wedding anniversary.

On the day we checked in we arrived early and were happy to leave our luggage and come back at check in time. We came back 1/2 an hour after check in time only to be told the rooms were still not ready. The staff offered us cold drinks to try and make up for the inconvenience which was very well received. Once we were able to go to our rooms they were not interconnecting but at least they were side by side. The rooms were lovely and clean and fresh, the king sized bed very comfortable and the air conditioning worked well. There was a shower over bath, the water tended to go hot and cold. There were some great amenity packs, shower cap, shaving kit, cotton buds, a comb, but I was surprised to find no toothbrush. I thought the clothes line should have been above the bath not next to the toilet but that was just a cosmetic thing however I was disappointed not to be able to find a power outlet in the bathroom for my hair straightener. Only the ones for a shaver.

When booking in I tried to confirm the babysitter however they claimed to have not received the email which ruined our anniversary plans. They may have been able to arrange someone but we decided we just wanted to de stress and have an early night instead.

After having just spent a week at another resort when it was my husbands birthday and they surprised him with a cake I was a little disappointed not to even receive a 'Happy Birthday' when my birthday arrived.

I found the majority of the staff to be very polite and happy to help. I even had the pleasure of speaking with the head manager a couple of times. Once after my son had been sick and she seemed genuinely concerned and told her staff if we should ring for anything to make sure they help out. She even offered soup which was very kind. Unfortunately both my husband and 2 other members of the family also became I'll. One being my 7 year old who wanted to sleep in our room so we called for an extra blanket..... 3 times! That brings me to the phone. None of the extensions were working, we could only dial '0' for the operator who I think was getting a little frustrated every time we called ( for room service etc)

On one occasion after we ventured out for some shopping and rushed in ( we had a car ordered to pick us up in 30mins) the card would not open the door. Again I called 3x before a couple of maintenance men came, took our card and tried it on the door.... Of course it didn't work for them either so they called for someone else. All in all we sat outside our room for 1 hour waiting to get in, we had to change our plans with our driver and we didn't even get as much as a " sorry about the inconvenience" from the member of management who came to recharge the battery in the door. The power went off on a couple of occasions however the backup generator allows the aircon and bathroom lights to continue to work. We were without power for most of that day until we realised the kids had power restored in their room. So I called '0' again and explained to the operator our issue this time. She suggested we make sure the door to the balcony was closed as the aircon doesn't run when it's open, obviously she hadn't heard correctly because the aircon was still going it was the rest of the power that was out. We had arranged a day out so left and when we returned our power had been restored..... Until it went out again that night! The breakfast had a good selection but they definitely need a dedicated coffee server, too many times we had to chase the coffee and tea in the morning. I was glad to see they got rid of the decorative breads which had not been preserved properly and were mouldy by the 3rd day of our stay. The menu for lunch and dinner was very limited as was the cocktail list. We ordered a piña-colada special which was supposed to come served in a young coconut, but it didn't. I ordered the panini with pesto rocket and cheese (definitely no meat after having 4 sick family members I didn't want to risk it) it came out 45 mins later, full of pastrami. The fries and wedges were great! You need to be extremely careful with your drinks around the pool as there were European wasps climbing in and out of the cans. Definitely only drink from a glass or using a straw. The hotel lobby was kept clean however in the week we were there the stainless steal doors of the elevator were not cleaned and had finger prints all over them, their was sand on the elevator from the second day till the day we left, and the walkway between the elevator and pool had not been swept. I hope most of these issues were only teething issues and can be sorted because this hotel is in an excellent position and has great potential. Would I stay again? I'm not sure, I'd probably see if there was anything as good that was cheeper but if not I would give the Grand Mercure patong another shot and hope they address some of these issues.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lionscrest
Dear Lionscrest,

Thank you very much for such a detailed review... We really appreciate the time taken into sharing your thoughts and experience and have already started working on a few of the issues you and your family have unfortunately encountered.

But before that, i would like to thank you for giving us a 4* still, as it appears rating could have easily been a 2* or a 3*, looking at those little episodes that are indeed spoiling an overall enjoyable stay.

As much as it pretty out of our hands when it comes to room key system or Patong's recurrent blackouts that immerse the entire area into darknes, communication is something we have to improve so to be able to react quickly. It seems it was again the case in regards to the babysitter and at the restaurant too.

I am glad to see that the kindness of the team and its willingness to help were noted and much appreciated. I will personally thank my assistant K.Sumontha (Nune) as well as the rest of the team for their dedication.

I have this morning talked to our IT Manager who unblocked the door lock and he felt so sorry about the comment shared. He is a very kind person and didn't mean any direspect at all i can ensure you.

I am very sorry again about the birthday cake. As you could see in a few of the Trip Ad. pictures, we are usually preparing a very nice cake for those specific occasions, whether on request or as a standard procedure. There were so many things i could spend the day appologizing... especially looking at the 3 of you seating on the floor of our corridors.

I am really sorry for all those inconveniences and do hope you will give us another chance sometime soon.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to, my personal email being sebastien.tronchet@accor.com

Many thanks for your time once again.

with kind regards,
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here for 8 nights with my partner.
Hotel is beautiful and brand new. Rooms were just the right size and price.
Hotel staff were incredibly polite, friendly and helpful.
Location is perfect. It's a short walk to the beach, Patong Road, Bang La Road and many other attractions.
Highly recommend

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sam S
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Sam S,

Many thanks for this short yet fantastic review.
Very happy to see you both had a superb stay with us and took a bit of time to explore the neary attractions too :)

See you again very soon,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We have just returned home after staying at the Grand Mercure for twelve nights. This hotel is excellent. The decor is beautiful, the staff are friendly and attentive. We have visited Patong six times and this is the best hotel we have stayed in. It is the first time we have been in a hotel that the general manager and his assistants have gone out their way to be friendly and helpful. Reception staff are first class and always enquire to see if there is anything they can do to help you. The restaurant staff all appear to be happy at their work and they all speak English well. Food in the restaurant is excellent. We send a big thank you to all staff and hope to be back in the future. Joyce and Ron Crawford

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Joyce C
Dear Joyce C,

Thank you very much for this wonderful review of our property.
We are very happy to hear such comments about the team and hotel itself and can't wait to have back with us at the end of the year!

Many thanks again,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I'm still at the hotel and unfortunately I'm leaving next Monday. Been here a total of 14 nights and I don't want to leave! Rooms are beautiful, new and clean. Staff is very polite and they planned a private tour for me as there were only a few things left for me to visit. Breakfast buffet is great. If I come back to phuket I'd like to come back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Alessandra P
Dear AlessandraP,

It has been a pleasure to have you around for so long. I hope you made it safely back home and will consider staying with us again next time you visit the island.

Thank you so much for this very kind review of yours!

with Grand regards,
Broome, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Awesome new clean hotel in a great location opposite the Otop Markets and walking distance to the beach. All of the staff were amazingly friendly, competent and spoke good English. Rooms were excellent as you would expect in a new hotel, we had an adjoining rooms for our children which was appreciated. Pool bar and cocktail bar and restaurant were all good, the breakfasts were amazing. Only complaint was from our children that there could be more TV Channels, as there is no DVD player in the rooms. The concrete area around the pool is very slippery when wet, as other reviewers have mentioned, however I am sure this will be attended to. Would highly recommend this hotel as it is excellent value for money. Will definatley go back again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Broomepeople
Dear Broomepeople,

Many thanks for this fantastic review of our property.
It is great to see you had a fantastic stay with us and please rest assured that comments about the slippery floors by the pool were also noted.
We are actually looking at a few options now, by the sunbeds and on the black tiles leading to the sunken ones as well...
I have also asked our technical team to secure a few more TV channels for kids as well as a few extra DVD players... So only a few more days to wait i believe.

Thank you once again and see you next year i hope!