“room of improvement” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 319 Hotels in Patong
Singapore, Singapore
“room of improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

pros:
- friendly and helpful staffs
- comfortable bed
- location is great

cons:
- construction noise, but they stops after we complained
- no toothbrush in the toiletries
- limited numbers of lift (only 1) so we need to walk quite far to the room

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Toonzone,

Thank you very much for your comments and rating.
It is great to see how much you enjoyed your stay and appreciate both employee's attitude and the hotel location itself.
Please note we do have toothbrush but only upon request. We were actually discussing about having set permanently in-room at the beginning of the coming high season.... might well have set in room sooner. Thanks a lot.
Still little noise dissturbances but we received the confirmation last friday that it will all be completed by the first week of September (current work is made in the villa area, at the back of the resort).

Thank you once again and hope to see you again soon,
Sebastien

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

we booked this hotel and requested airport transfers, after three emails and no response I called the hotel to confirm we had a airport transfer, WHICH THEY CONFIRMED however after waiting at the airport for over 1 hour no one came to collect us. finally we reached the hotel via a taxi, no apology and the staff were quiet rude and spoke extremely poor english.
*they charged my credit card without my knowledge for an additional $350 AUS dollars which when questioned days later they stated its a "holding fee" which they keep for 2-3 weeks after your departure (we haven't received this back still)
*we booked a king size bed pool side, the most expensive rooms in the hotel and was given 2 single beds, when we asked to be moved into a room with a king size bed (as we are a married couple) the staff were reluctant to move us once again very rude !!
*room smelt of mould
*buffet breakfast was catered to asian gusts, sushi, salad and noodles 98% of guests were asian or middle eastern
*had to ask cleaning to attend to own room EVERY day for clean towels, water etc
*bar staff made undrinkable cocktails and the fruits and garnishes we left out non refrigerated in open containers for flies so YUK !!! poorly stocked bar
*extremely small rooms
*waiting over an hour and a half for a sandwich at lunch time pool side
I would highly recommend NOT TO STAY AT THIS HOTEL - we checked out 3 days early and came home it was that bad !!!! the worst hotel we have stayed at for SO many reasons it ruined our holiday entirely

Room Tip: the hotel looks like a Chinese laundry mat our pool side room every day was sprinkled with clothes f...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank wilhelmina_celeste
Dear wilhelmina_celeste,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Grand Mercure and allowing us to improve ourseleves by doing so.

I am obviously very sorry for all the inconveniences caused as when holidays start by a missed pick-up at the airport, it is always very difficult to compensate afterwards. Really sorry we coul not make it happen.

I will go point by point as i fell i owe you some explanation when it comes to other issues encountered. Firstly the deposit requested upon arrival. It is a very common practise inThailand and we are usually "blocking" 1,500THB or +/- 30$ per day, as garantee that is afterward used to settle the bills (if any). It is then "unblocked" and it can take from 7-14 days before the money is again accessible by the customer.
I believe our staff informed you as she swapped the card in front of you at the desk.
As for the room, it is also a very common practise in the industry to put twin beds together. Our Twin are actually 3.5ft wide, making it a Giant 7ft bed (larger than our regular king size one). We have 7Ft bed topper that were bought for this specific purpose for a garanteed good night of sleep.
But again, i understand your surprise and would have probably reacted in a similar fashion.

The smell is not coming from mud but actually from the condensation due to high humidity level at this time of the year (well above 80*). Despite its location next to the pool, we have not received such comment yet but have asked our Housekeeper to investigate and take corrective action if she believes there is a problem in this specific room.

I am not sure where the 98% are coming from (Asian clientele and Middle East) and even if it was the case, we do not ban or favor any particual nationality or kind of clientele.
This remark as well as the one about the Chinese Laundry are boarder line if i may say... But just to let you know, our 2 largest clienteles comes from Australia (30%) followed by China and Hongkong (20% together)... as for Middle east, not even 10%.

As for the breakfast offer, we are the ONLY hotel in Patong with our own Expatriate Pastry Chef, and i'm sad to see you missed on our freshly baked danishes and croissant, sumptuous cakes and others... We also offer a wide array of cold cuts, salads and cheese together with typical ENglish breakfast specialties including freshly made suasages and quality ham, Asian specialties (Thai, Chinese, sushis, Oriental), homemade belgium waffles, fresh fruits and plenty others...
We are in Thailand afterall and THai and Asian specialties are also in high demand by our western clientele.

I am sorry about the cocktails and delay in serving you at the restaurant. 90 minutes is definitely not our standard and i have share the info with our CHef and service team as well. I know it can takes little longer than the usual 25-30 minutes but 90 min seems like eternity to me. Very sorry!

As for you early check-out, you did actually leave 1.5 days before your expected departure date (as you booked for a late check-out on the last night and while your booking was unrefundable, we still offered you 1 night complimentary for all the inconvenience caused.

I am very sorry we were not up to our usual standards.

with kind regards,
Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We just returned from Phuket yesterday and we booked this hotel together with the flight deal from Airasia.

1) I had emailed and contacted the Reservations Supervisor to arrange for a birthday cake for my husband. She asked for his exact birthdate and confirmed that there will be cake on arrival. During our check in process, the front desk staff could even see that in the system, we were celebrating my husband's birthday. Until our last day, we had not received even a fruit basket or a small cake or a note to wish my husband. This was the biggest disappointment for me as I had arranged for this secretly with the reservations staff and I wanted for this to be a surprise for him. This trip itself was a big surprise for him. But I suppose I was the one most surprised. :(

2) The pictures of the pool look lovely. But in reality, the pool is long and tiny. Not very "grand"for a Grand Mercure. However, there are sufficient sun chairs and umbrellas around. So that was a relief.

3) The blackouts in previous posts are real. Fortunately for us, we were out most of the day so we were not affected. There was only one blackout in the middle of our 1st night. But we were too tired to have bothered.

4) The hot and cold water in the showers are also real. The bad thing is that the hot is really hot so you'd have to be careful especially with kids.

5) We only had breakfast at the cafe once. I felt that the spread was not fantastic. They were under-staffed and there were many tables that were not cleared on time. The coffee and tea servers had to double up with clearing plates and that resulted in many caffeine-deprived people.

6) As a Le Accor Club member, I was disappointed to know that I could not accumulate any points simply because I did not book the hotel directly but I had a flight-hotel deal. But the fact is I chose to stay in a Accor Hotel so that I could accumulate points. If I had known earlier, I wouldn't have chosen this hotel.

On the positive note:

1) The room service menu had food that was still piping hot when it arrived.
2) the pizzas were good thin crust and crispy.
3) The complimentary water was refillable, just call reception to ask.
4) The location of this hotel was good.

Would i recommend this place to others? I suppose it's really your luck. For one, I wouldn't chose this hotel given the disappointing reception. There are many other hotels in Phuket to choose from.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank hippomamatan
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear hippomamatan,

Thank you very much for your review.
Please kindly note we are investigation a few of the issues raised as i don't see any reason why we would be missing one of our guest birthday especially if you took the time to send us a formal request for it. It happened to another guest last week and that's a bit too much i have to say.

I am really sorry for that.
Please note we have already share the water consistency issue with our technical team and it has now been fixed. We have also included this specific point into our MOD (Manager on duty) checklist.

I am happy to note that you were not to bothered by the major blackout last week. People often do not realize it or suffer from it much when it occurs during the night as our generator usually provide sufficient fresh air during those short period of time.

Thank you also for your great comments about service and food selection. I am glad to see you enjoyed our Pizzas very much.

As for the Le Club member points, it is unfortunately not in our hands. Guests are sometime surprised and i can understand your frustration but booking must be made through our own system for points to be credited.

Thank you once again and shall you decide on giving us a second chance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at sebastien.tronchet@accor.com.

With Grand regards,
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

New beautiful hotel. From booking, transfers & checking in...all was done in a breeze. Staffs were all friendly & polite throughout our 4 days stay. Rooms were clean and nice as shown. We booked 5 rooms and were assigned to the same floor as requested. All rooms overlooked the swimming pool. The rooms we assigned maybe on the new wing and with the villas under construction just outside and since we are on 2nd floor, thus the corridors were dusty & drilling can also be heard during the day but as we were out so it doesn't really bothers us much. We have 2 boys, 5 & 11 and were initially quite worried that room maybe too small with the extra bed, but was extremely happy that 1 king bed + 1 extra bed fits our family well without having to use the sofa bed. Bed were superb soft and comfy, we had a great sleep after each tiring day out. Breakfast at Bubbles were delicious and F&B staffs were trying their very best to attend to everyone with smiles even though they were shorthanded. We all agreed that this is the best breakfast we had so far! Kudos to the F&B team & please keep it up! Location is great with local restaurants just across the road, turning right onto the main street-Bangla Rd & Jungcelyon mall in just 10-15mins. If you prefer a shorter walk to Jungcelon mall, just turn to left and left turn again, though no shops around or simply await for the free hotel shuttle bus at certain timing. Near to everything's happening but yet far away from the buzz for a quiet stay. Wasn't able to try Ryn Spa during stay due to limited slot and closing time at 6.30pm which is too early. Requested for breakfast box upon checking out due to early departure at 6am, thank you for the arrangement...a simple pack of sandwich, breads, packet drink & apple had made everyone tummy happy on their journey to airport. :) Great thanks to Mr. Chino for his patience in handling my booking, the staff who attended to me upon my checking in for his help and efficiency, and Mr. Jamnong for keeping the breakfast available for us even though we arrived late. All and all this is a great hotel and we have enjoyed a grand stay! The only regret is for not being able to fully enjoy the facilities here as we were out all days.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear V7457,

Many thanks for this wonderful review of our property.
I will take this opportunity to surely thank our Food and beverage teams as well as Chino, who's indeed doing a fantastic job in dealing with every guests in a very personalized manner.

Glad you enjoyed the early breakfast box! I believe we will extend the Spa hours to 8pm pretty soon, as you are the second person to mention about it this week :)

Looking forward to welcoming you all back soon!

with Grand regards,
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was quite impressed upon my arrival in this hotel, it had a grand lobby that was beautifully lighted and a nice swimming pool area surrounded by buildings housing the guest rooms. The beach was a 5 minute walk and the main street with the shops and restaurants was just around the corner. However, my stay here was rather unpleasant at best. Below were some of the issues that we encountered during our stay.

1) Blackouts - Although this incident is not the hotel's fault, I was disappointed by the limited capacity of their generators. During blackouts, the room did not have electricity and the air conditioning was not working. This incident prevented me from having a good night's sleep for 2 of the 5 nights we stayed here. I'm expecting big hotels such as Grand Mercure to have sufficient backup power to be fully operational when this happens.

2) House keeping service - we arranged for an extra bed in the room because we were a group of 3. However, housekeeping would only provide us 2 sets of towels, bottles of water, etc. for the first few nights. Shouldn't it be a given that we need 3 sets after seeing an extra bed in our room? We needed to request for these repeatedly and it took them a really long time to respond.

3) Broken toilet - one morning our toilet broke, I stepped on a wet bathroom floor and the toilet was no longer working. We called to have this repaired before leaving for the day. We returned to find out they couldn't fix this right away and had to transfer to another room. Took us almost an hour to fix our things and move to the new room. It was quite annoying considering this hotel is brand new.

4) Front Desk - we presented 2 bookings upon check in because we had to book an extra night due to a change in our flight schedules, but they did not adjust the key card settings accordingly. So after a long day of touring around Phuket, we came back to our room to discover that we can no longer open our door. We had to walk all the way back to the front desk from our room (located at one of the farthest ends of the hotel) just to have the keys reset. Also noticed that there was a disparity in the English proficiency of some staff manning the desks. There was one exceptional employee there, I think his name was Sarayud. He was very helpful and efficient with his work.

5) Safety Hazards - Lastly, since we arrived during monsoon season, it just starts to rain heavily at random times. I was waiting at the lobby one time and the weather started to change with strong winds and gusts. Suddenly a tall glass vase on top of a table near me went flying, I even saw it in my peripheral view. Had I been 5 feet to the right at that moment, that vase would have hit my head. Maybe having that placed there in their al fresco lobby during this time of year wasn't a very good idea.. just saying. Their floors (mostly tiles) are also very slippery when wet.

Maybe we just had terrible luck, but I also did not feel that the hotel placed an effort to make our stay more comfortable or compensate for their shortcomings. Overall, it was a disappointment compared to the other Accor group hotels I've stayed in so far.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank ryuready
Dear Ryuready,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us all.
I am personally very sorry about the inconveniences caused during your stay, whether when the blackout occured or when your toilet broke down.

These things can unfortunately happen but as you correctly mentioned, the fact we couldn't anticipate and compensate you accordingly is a totally different matter, for which we are usually very accomodating... especially during these first few months of operations.

To come back to the blackout and generator use, it did happen twice last week and while the municipality was working on fixing the main supply line, we automatically switched into "generator mode". I am not sure if you are familiar with the terms (no worry, i wasn't either until joining), but we have one of Phuket's most powerful generator in comparison to our number of room. It's a 1,200KW unit that provides electrical supply to all the rooms (emergency lights in rooms x2 and fresh air instead of air-conditionned), the lobby, the lifts and corridors, the surrroundings like walk ways and the restaurants.

Those are unfortunately happening quite often in Phuket (and any other city than Bangkok) and i can ensure you none of the property on the island, whether a 4 or 5* could have provided enough power to supply all rooms (as if nothing had ever happened).

I understand the frustration as i was myself in the lobby, discussing with a few "surprised" clients and appreciate the fact you understand it has absolutely nothing to do with us.

However, and wehn it comes to safety hazards and Housekeeping standards, it is our entire responsability and for those i have to present my appologies to you. I believe communication is important and i wish i could have had the chance of meeting you and discussing these matters with you directly rather than on this platform, maybe next time.

I did send you a personal appology note too so please feel free to contact me back shall you decide on giving our team and property a second chance...

Thank you once again.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Great location right opposite the markets. The staff wer excellent on arrival and departure, every need is met, including some bottles of water when we mentioned we were hot. Such fantastic service in Thailand but this one was the best of the 3 hotels. The foyer was beautiful to sit in and the pool area was nice. The buffet breakfast was good but it took me a while to get a coffee, the previous hotel you could get your own freshly ground from a few machines ready to go.
I would stay here again definately. Nice modern rooms and bathroom. Was only here for one night but would recommend highly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Melissa197555
Dear Melissa 197555,

Many thanks for this wonderful review!
It is always a pleasure to see guests living happy and the only reason why we are here to be honest :)

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon!