“2nd Time Round and Still Love It.”

Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Ranked #5 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This time round, i came with my golf kakis as it's the first for them. They were very impressed with the services provided.The restuarant prices were rather cheap and food are tasty. You should try the Yang Chow fried rice when you're there, it only cost Bht 200. Jungceylon is just a 10 mins walk from the hotel. We loved the pool access room where you can just walk out of your room and straight into the pool. A 'Must' book room. You have to make reservations early as the pool access rooms are very popular. I would like to thank Khun Sumontha and her team for making our stay so enjoyable and also to the security guy who is always smiling whenever we return from our golf games or shopping trip.Keep it up guys and thank you.

Room Tip: Like I mentioned earlier, choose the pool access room and dont forget to try the food as they are qu...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hachioji
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Hashioji,

Many thanks for this fantastic review.
Very happy to not you and your firends enjoyed your stay very much. Phuket is indeed a great destination for Golfers like yourself!

Please kindly send our Grand regards to you family as well.

Looking forward to welcoming you all soon.

There are newer reviews for Grand Mercure Phuket Patong

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Grand Mercure Hotel Patong for 5 days. It was great! After having an ATV accident and being in hospital for 2 days, Sebastian, the other managers, and staff went out of their way to assist my wife and me including a free extended late check out.

The hotel is new. We stayed in one of the pool side rooms, which was very nice.
The location is perfect, close the Bangla Road, shopping malls, and the Hard Rock Cafe.

The bar was a bit pricy, but is expected. Better to BYOD.

Would we go back to this hotel in the future? Yes! The personal attention that we received from the hotel made all the difference.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Worldwide2471

Dear Globetrekking47,

Many thanks for this very kind review of our property.
It was a pleasure to have you both around and it is good to see you enjoyed your stay in our Deluxe Pool access so much.

See you next year i hope... but no ATV this time :)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Had a great time during my stay at the Grand Mecure. Rooms and food were nice and great location, 2 minutes from the beach an close to plenty of bars and restaurants. All the staff were very friendly and look forward to holidaying there again soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Gareth P,

Thank you very much for this great review!
We are all very much looking forward to have you back "home".

Reviewed 13 August 2014

pros:
- friendly and helpful staffs
- comfortable bed
- location is great

cons:
- construction noise, but they stops after we complained
- no toothbrush in the toiletries
- limited numbers of lift (only 1) so we need to walk quite far to the room

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Toonzone,

Thank you very much for your comments and rating.
It is great to see how much you enjoyed your stay and appreciate both employee's attitude and the hotel location itself.
Please note we do have toothbrush but only upon request. We were actually discussing about having set permanently in-room at the beginning of the coming high season.... might well have set in room sooner. Thanks a lot.
Still little noise dissturbances but we received the confirmation last friday that it will all be completed by the first week of September (current work is made in the villa area, at the back of the resort).

Thank you once again and hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

we booked this hotel and requested airport transfers, after three emails and no response I called the hotel to confirm we had a airport transfer, WHICH THEY CONFIRMED however after waiting at the airport for over 1 hour no one came to collect us. finally we reached the hotel via a taxi, no apology and the staff were quiet rude and spoke extremely poor english.
*they charged my credit card without my knowledge for an additional $350 AUS dollars which when questioned days later they stated its a "holding fee" which they keep for 2-3 weeks after your departure (we haven't received this back still)
*we booked a king size bed pool side, the most expensive rooms in the hotel and was given 2 single beds, when we asked to be moved into a room with a king size bed (as we are a married couple) the staff were reluctant to move us once again very rude !!
*room smelt of mould
*buffet breakfast was catered to asian gusts, sushi, salad and noodles 98% of guests were asian or middle eastern
*had to ask cleaning to attend to own room EVERY day for clean towels, water etc
*bar staff made undrinkable cocktails and the fruits and garnishes we left out non refrigerated in open containers for flies so YUK !!! poorly stocked bar
*extremely small rooms
*waiting over an hour and a half for a sandwich at lunch time pool side
I would highly recommend NOT TO STAY AT THIS HOTEL - we checked out 3 days early and came home it was that bad !!!! the worst hotel we have stayed at for SO many reasons it ruined our holiday entirely

Room Tip: the hotel looks like a Chinese laundry mat our pool side room every day was sprinkled with clothes f...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
18  Thank wilhelmina_celeste

Dear wilhelmina_celeste,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Grand Mercure and allowing us to improve ourseleves by doing so.

I am obviously very sorry for all the inconveniences caused as when holidays start by a missed pick-up at the airport, it is always very difficult to compensate afterwards. Really sorry we coul not make it happen.

I will go point by point as i fell i owe you some explanation when it comes to other issues encountered. Firstly the deposit requested upon arrival. It is a very common practise inThailand and we are usually "blocking" 1,500THB or +/- 30$ per day, as garantee that is afterward used to settle the bills (if any). It is then "unblocked" and it can take from 7-14 days before the money is again accessible by the customer.
I believe our staff informed you as she swapped the card in front of you at the desk.
As for the room, it is also a very common practise in the industry to put twin beds together. Our Twin are actually 3.5ft wide, making it a Giant 7ft bed (larger than our regular king size one). We have 7Ft bed topper that were bought for this specific purpose for a garanteed good night of sleep.
But again, i understand your surprise and would have probably reacted in a similar fashion.

The smell is not coming from mud but actually from the condensation due to high humidity level at this time of the year (well above 80*). Despite its location next to the pool, we have not received such comment yet but have asked our Housekeeper to investigate and take corrective action if she believes there is a problem in this specific room.

I am not sure where the 98% are coming from (Asian clientele and Middle East) and even if it was the case, we do not ban or favor any particual nationality or kind of clientele.
This remark as well as the one about the Chinese Laundry are boarder line if i may say... But just to let you know, our 2 largest clienteles comes from Australia (30%) followed by China and Hongkong (20% together)... as for Middle east, not even 10%.

As for the breakfast offer, we are the ONLY hotel in Patong with our own Expatriate Pastry Chef, and i'm sad to see you missed on our freshly baked danishes and croissant, sumptuous cakes and others... We also offer a wide array of cold cuts, salads and cheese together with typical ENglish breakfast specialties including freshly made suasages and quality ham, Asian specialties (Thai, Chinese, sushis, Oriental), homemade belgium waffles, fresh fruits and plenty others...
We are in Thailand afterall and THai and Asian specialties are also in high demand by our western clientele.

I am sorry about the cocktails and delay in serving you at the restaurant. 90 minutes is definitely not our standard and i have share the info with our CHef and service team as well. I know it can takes little longer than the usual 25-30 minutes but 90 min seems like eternity to me. Very sorry!

As for you early check-out, you did actually leave 1.5 days before your expected departure date (as you booked for a late check-out on the last night and while your booking was unrefundable, we still offered you 1 night complimentary for all the inconvenience caused.

I am very sorry we were not up to our usual standards.

with kind regards,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We just returned from Phuket yesterday and we booked this hotel together with the flight deal from Airasia.

1) I had emailed and contacted the Reservations Supervisor to arrange for a birthday cake for my husband. She asked for his exact birthdate and confirmed that there will be cake on arrival. During our check in process, the front desk staff could even see that in the system, we were celebrating my husband's birthday. Until our last day, we had not received even a fruit basket or a small cake or a note to wish my husband. This was the biggest disappointment for me as I had arranged for this secretly with the reservations staff and I wanted for this to be a surprise for him. This trip itself was a big surprise for him. But I suppose I was the one most surprised. :(

2) The pictures of the pool look lovely. But in reality, the pool is long and tiny. Not very "grand"for a Grand Mercure. However, there are sufficient sun chairs and umbrellas around. So that was a relief.

3) The blackouts in previous posts are real. Fortunately for us, we were out most of the day so we were not affected. There was only one blackout in the middle of our 1st night. But we were too tired to have bothered.

4) The hot and cold water in the showers are also real. The bad thing is that the hot is really hot so you'd have to be careful especially with kids.

5) We only had breakfast at the cafe once. I felt that the spread was not fantastic. They were under-staffed and there were many tables that were not cleared on time. The coffee and tea servers had to double up with clearing plates and that resulted in many caffeine-deprived people.

6) As a Le Accor Club member, I was disappointed to know that I could not accumulate any points simply because I did not book the hotel directly but I had a flight-hotel deal. But the fact is I chose to stay in a Accor Hotel so that I could accumulate points. If I had known earlier, I wouldn't have chosen this hotel.

On the positive note:

1) The room service menu had food that was still piping hot when it arrived.
2) the pizzas were good thin crust and crispy.
3) The complimentary water was refillable, just call reception to ask.
4) The location of this hotel was good.

Would i recommend this place to others? I suppose it's really your luck. For one, I wouldn't chose this hotel given the disappointing reception. There are many other hotels in Phuket to choose from.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank hippomamatan
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear hippomamatan,

Thank you very much for your review.
Please kindly note we are investigation a few of the issues raised as i don't see any reason why we would be missing one of our guest birthday especially if you took the time to send us a formal request for it. It happened to another guest last week and that's a bit too much i have to say.

I am really sorry for that.
Please note we have already share the water consistency issue with our technical team and it has now been fixed. We have also included this specific point into our MOD (Manager on duty) checklist.

I am happy to note that you were not to bothered by the major blackout last week. People often do not realize it or suffer from it much when it occurs during the night as our generator usually provide sufficient fresh air during those short period of time.

Thank you also for your great comments about service and food selection. I am glad to see you enjoyed our Pizzas very much.

As for the Le Club member points, it is unfortunately not in our hands. Guests are sometime surprised and i can understand your frustration but booking must be made through our own system for points to be credited.

Thank you once again and shall you decide on giving us a second chance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at sebastien.tronchet@accor.com.

With Grand regards,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

New beautiful hotel. From booking, transfers & checking in...all was done in a breeze. Staffs were all friendly & polite throughout our 4 days stay. Rooms were clean and nice as shown. We booked 5 rooms and were assigned to the same floor as requested. All rooms overlooked the swimming pool. The rooms we assigned maybe on the new wing and with the villas under construction just outside and since we are on 2nd floor, thus the corridors were dusty & drilling can also be heard during the day but as we were out so it doesn't really bothers us much. We have 2 boys, 5 & 11 and were initially quite worried that room maybe too small with the extra bed, but was extremely happy that 1 king bed + 1 extra bed fits our family well without having to use the sofa bed. Bed were superb soft and comfy, we had a great sleep after each tiring day out. Breakfast at Bubbles were delicious and F&B staffs were trying their very best to attend to everyone with smiles even though they were shorthanded. We all agreed that this is the best breakfast we had so far! Kudos to the F&B team & please keep it up! Location is great with local restaurants just across the road, turning right onto the main street-Bangla Rd & Jungcelyon mall in just 10-15mins. If you prefer a shorter walk to Jungcelon mall, just turn to left and left turn again, though no shops around or simply await for the free hotel shuttle bus at certain timing. Near to everything's happening but yet far away from the buzz for a quiet stay. Wasn't able to try Ryn Spa during stay due to limited slot and closing time at 6.30pm which is too early. Requested for breakfast box upon checking out due to early departure at 6am, thank you for the arrangement...a simple pack of sandwich, breads, packet drink & apple had made everyone tummy happy on their journey to airport. :) Great thanks to Mr. Chino for his patience in handling my booking, the staff who attended to me upon my checking in for his help and efficiency, and Mr. Jamnong for keeping the breakfast available for us even though we arrived late. All and all this is a great hotel and we have enjoyed a grand stay! The only regret is for not being able to fully enjoy the facilities here as we were out all days.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear V7457,

Many thanks for this wonderful review of our property.
I will take this opportunity to surely thank our Food and beverage teams as well as Chino, who's indeed doing a fantastic job in dealing with every guests in a very personalized manner.

Glad you enjoyed the early breakfast box! I believe we will extend the Spa hours to 8pm pretty soon, as you are the second person to mention about it this week :)

Looking forward to welcoming you all back soon!