“Sanctuary in Patong”

Ranked #78 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Rolleston, Australia
“Sanctuary in Patong”
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights here and it was fantastic would recommend this place to anyone wanting to stay in Patong but not get any if the noise at night. We stayed in one if the little bungalows and it was great. This place is a very short walking distance to the beach, shops , restaurants and everything that Patong offers yet when you get home with all the palm trees and green gardens you feel as though you are at a peaceful island resort you literally hear nothing of the noisy night life. To top it all off the staff is so accommodating Nothing was too much trouble and we felt very welcomed and comfortable. Breakfast was great I cannot say enough great things about thus place sure there are cheaper options but the peaceful quiet nights sleep was worth the extra to us.If I ever return to Patong 100% I will stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I don't want to write a review and sound like a sourpuss, because usually I'm pretty easy going, but after staying at this hotel in July with my partner, I finally got aroudn to writing one, and I was very disappointed. To be fair, I believe the main issue was our room in particular (number 411), which was absolutely tiny. It was so small, we didnt even have room to open our suitcases on the floor and has to do so on the bed (which was two single mattresses pushed together). The windows and walls were paper thin, so we could hear conversations that were being had on the balcony and in the next room. The shower had no door, or shower curtain and the pressure was either a trickle, or a power hose, so without the shower door, the entire bathroom basically became a shower. I understand that plumbing is not the best in Thailand, so not all places allow you to flush toilet paper down the toilet, but a lid for the bin would have been nice.

The staff were very nice, and I in no way had a problem with any of them, as they did everything they could to help us. The other thing we had a problem with (which the staff could do nothing about) was the amount of cats around the place...literally hundreds. Was a bit unnerving to walk out in the morning with sixteen cats staring at you. But then, its Thailand, some of these things can be expected.

In conclusion, staff were nice, breakfast was average, location was good, but pretty much everything to do with the room was terrible. Again, I think it was our room in particular, as I asked the people in the room next to us (who's room was about 2 meters wider) if they were also in the superior room, and they said they were, so I think we may have gotten unlucky in getting the bad room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jess T
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Great value for money. Good location (very near to the Beach and Bangla road...of course...) Very helpful and friendly Reception staff (ask them for dinner recommendations - each one suggested to us was brilliant.) Undergoing renovations whilst we were there so should be looking super sleek once done. All in all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Union, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at the Royal Phawadee for the first 7 nights and last 3 nights of my October trip to Southeast Asia. This is the second time I have stayed there (other members of my party stayed at cheaper alternatives). Being in the heart of Patong everything is with in walking distance, with the exception of day trips to other beaches (Kata has always been my favorite). The staff here is excellent and always very helpful and smiling. The rooms are always clean and the beds are some of the most comfortable I've slept in during my time in Southeast Asia. I love this hotel and will continue to stay there in future trips to Phuket.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
travelpro123
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I had this hotel booked online and paid probably more than I should have. But where in the West can you get such a beautiful, peaceful, and quiet setting in a central location for less than $100? The reception is excellent, they gave me two suites to choose from, I decided to go with the room further into the courtyard. The buildings are traditional wooden Thai style, very beautiful. My room was nice and tastefully appointed. I had some issues logging into their Wifi, but a resident computer guru took care of that in a fast and very professional manner. The breakfast bar is excellent. In this price range my only additional requests would be for a bathrobe in the room and a copy of The Nation newspaper at the breakfast terrace.

Room Tip: Not in the main building, parallel to the street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank travelpr0123
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights and although I was sick for half of that time, I am glad I was at this hotel as it provide some peace from the chaos of Patong.

The environment is nice and lush, beautiful wooden buildings give a lovely traditional style feel. The room was large and everything worked well except one closet door that was a bit hard to close.

The staff were semi friendly, though when I did check out there was no pleasant goodbye or anything, just felt a bit cold.

I would recommend the hotel to those who want something a bit different and a place to escape the craziness of Patong.

Though for me I won't likely be back as I found Patong too dirty and too many rude people constantly harassing me. Not my idea of a holiday.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JasperCruze
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I find it hard to reconcile the current state of the hotel with past glowing reviews on Tripadvisor. I travel a lot and find this property hard to recommend to anyone in its current state which resembles an eccentric uncle's country home. It is undergoing renovation now and my review is valid as of late September.

Positives:
- good location 12 minute walk from Bangla and 5 minutes from beach
- lots of garden space
- felt safe
- reasonable minibar prices

Negatives (some examples):
- hotel pickup did not show up at airport, even worse, no apology offered after waiting 20 minutes and I took a taxi
- grounds are a mess with old fixtures, trash and furniture stacked up haphazardly
- breakfast was appalling with flies hovering in droves over open fruit and staff standing around chatting (not a sign of professionalism)
- my view from the balcony was of their laundry room open to full view!
- gym had rusting equipment, no towels or any amenities (I had to open the wooden lock myself and switch on the a/c at 9am)
- when I checked out after a day, I was presented a bill with a minibar item on it (70bht); when I said I have not consumed anything, I was told "wait, let us check your room" followed by talk in Thai, several ledgers checked, while I waited like a criminal before the judge.

Overall I just don't get the sense of a professionally run operation. There are better options in the vicinity for the same price

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo