“good location, average hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Phawadee Village

Royal Phawadee Village
Ranked #67 of 319 Hotels in Patong
Perth, Australia
“good location, average hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

we were upgraded to a lovely big room with large balcony, table and chairs and a lounger. The breakfast was disappointing, very average fare, little variety and no change in menu. Although some-one did ask for suggestions on how to improve the breakfast, hope they listened to some of the suggestions. Bed was comfy, large bathroom, tv swivels to allow you to watch from either the bedroom or lounge area. We didn't have hot water one morning but this was fixed by the time we returned in the afternoon. Pool is old and not the cleanest. It boasted 3 restaurants, but they really only have breakfast and one restaurant...lots of places to eat down the road though. Close to the beach and close enough to Bangla Road without all the noise. Limited "day spa" services, didn't try them as the ones nearby are cheaper and plentiful. The hotel did provide a lovely fruit platter and cake on my birthday, lovely touch.

Room Tip: ask for upgrade
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely linen but the staff suck and it's for old people, rubbish music playing early all day from reception (woke me up)and terrible breakfast (old potatoe tasting cabbage dishes and bad milk for coffee). My superior suite had a massive gap in top of door so I was worried about mosquitoes and the air con was really bad. They also totally screw you for any use of the minibar and you have to wait at check out while they check up on you which is frustrating when you want to leave. Crap system in a lovely resort, not to mention all the brothels along that street. Wouldn't stay again sorry!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Udon T, Director of Sales at Royal Phawadee Village, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear

We appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review and giving us the opportunity to take on board the feedback. We appreciate for your positive at least we are the lovely resort.
However, please give us an apologize that we bring you down with our quality of services. Since you give us a valued comment regarding the music playing in the early morning at the reception, now we have fixed it to maintain and assure that our guests sleep tight. We have a plan to doing more room renovation and improving room quality to guarantee that the guest can have an extra ordinary holiday during stay with us.

If there is anything we did you feel inconvenience during checkout, please give us an apologize and I promises that it will not happen again for your next stay.

We are looking forward to welcome you back again to see what we are improved because of your suggestions. It is more than appreciated if there is anything I can do for you in the future. Kindly feel free to contact me at mkt@royalphawadeepatong.com.

Looking forward to welcome you back to us again and again.

Best regards,

Udon Taweemuang
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed here in August 2013 as part of a 5-week trip round SE Asia.

I was amazed at the size of my room, it was simply massive! I had my own private balcony with lounger, a big indoor air-conditioned lounge, bathroom big enough to throw a party in and then a huge bedroom with equally huge bed.

As we visited in the "green season" the price was very low, especially for the room. But the facilities were only average as there was lots of work being done to the hotel due to a fire the previous winter. The pool area was nice and the food was nice but for a resort this size and location it just needs more.

Very comfortable stay and my room was immaculately clean but can't give it more than 3* due to the lack of facilities.

Room Tip: The best rooms are above the reception, next to the fitness centre.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

The hotel and maintenance staff were so unhelpful I would not recommend staying at this hotel.

The standard room: - tiny, there wasn't enough room to open our suitcases - the door did not completely fill its frame, and there was a crack in it, easy mosquito entry points, got bit several times even with spray
- rooms are old and not updated

During our stay we were "upgraded" to a new room:
- Also had tons of mosquitos
- Air conditioner broke in the middle night. Called down for a fan or something to keep the room cool, received no help from the staff.

Of the time we had our room 70% of the daylight hours we were not allowed in it because it was being "repaired." The first day we checked in and were not allowed in all day, only to be told at the end of the day we were being "downgraded" because it could not be fixed.

Second day same story, except it was "fixed" only to break shortly after. All the while, the hotel was not at full capacity and they insisted on these two rooms. The hotel is not a good value, you can easily find the same price per night in Phuket with much better amenities and staff.

I pride myself in reading reviews and wish I had read the negative reviews of the place more thoroughly before deciding.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed here for 12 nights over Dec 13 and Jan 14 in the duplex room - 2 adults and 2 teenagers - which is a 2 level room. The resort has been leased out very recently and the new licencees have let the standards drop massively it would seem and they have bought in a Manager from outside to try and fix things ( at least they know they have to do something or risk having no guests in time )We emailed ahead a few days out to see if there was room for 1 extra adult for 4 nights as our other daughter was going to be in Thailand for 4 days unexpectedly. No problem, 1000 baht a night and there was plenty of room and they would make up another bed - great.
This is going to be a long review, but needs to be said to make other prospective guests aware. We can be fairly critical when we pay good money to stay somewhere, but also understand that no place will ever be perfect and accept that as part of travelling internationally, but this went beyond that. To make it easier to read, I will do it in point form and will list both pros and cons to be fair. In summary, heres how it went.

PROS
* great location
* wifi works well
* restaurant food adequate
* Michelle the manager and Blah are the standout staff
* nice gardens and pool area although very shaded
* 10% off total bill for all the grief and hassle they caused us

CONS
* as mentioned above, they agreed to making up an extra bed, but after requests every day this didnt happen and she just had to sleep on the couch - no proper pillow, sheet or anything.
* had to go and chase up an extra towel for the extra guest everyday as well, as we just couldnt get that simple message through for housekeeping to leave an extra one when cleaning daily. One towel I went and got from reception had a massive rip in it when I opened it up
* all staff we encountered except for Blah and Michelle had extremely poor English - I mean very very poor, not just average which you would expect
* when we arrived they had promised a decoration on the bed as we were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary - only a small thing, but there was nothing at all, and no mention or apology
* no welcome drinks on arrival as they spruik
* breakfast very poor - same thing day after day and not many choices
* toaster conveyor broke down and 7 days later still not repaired - best they could do was a 2 slice pop up toaster and then a few days later, they added another 2 slice toaster. Hardly adequate for 70 guests
* very poor water pressure ( worst we have ever encountered and only water that was hot occasionally, usually only warm at best ) and after repeated requests, no real change
* considering how shaded the pool area is, the temp of the water needs to be raised about 5 degrees. Very rarely would there be people swimming as it was just too cold
* in general, staff not friendly and smiling - you would only get a hello or smile out of a couple of them
* NYE Gala dinner was an absolute joke - all the food was cold as someone had obviously forgotten to turn on the food warmers, and at 3500 baht per head I would have at least expected the food to be warm. We did complain and they halved the charge for us - still expensive though for what you get
* room would not be made up until at least 5pm every day, and when it was, it was a very poor job - coffee not replaced, bathroom not wiped down, coffee table not wiped down, dirty coffee cups not replaced, floors not swept or vacuumed etc etc. It did improve after we got the Manager up to our room first hand to see it after it had been " cleaned "
* my wife and son became ill and I needed to know where the nearest Tourist Clinic was. When I enquired at reception, there response was you have to go to the hospital and it will cost you 9000 baht to see a doctor !!!!! I told them no, I wanted to know where the tourist clinic was - they had no clue so I went out and found 1 myself by asking the nearby shopkeepers
* the " tourdesk " is a separate room next to reception with a connecting door and the receptionist would just walk through when someone went in there and handed them brochures - hardly a tour desk
* 2 level room for 4 - 5 people, yet only 1 bathroom and 2 toilets, both downstairs - nothing upstairs. Outside on balcony, only a small table and 2 chairs, yet 4 or 5 guests in room
* ceiling fan in top level wired in with the light, so once light was turned off, fan automatically turned off, so now option to leave it on while you sleep
* pool area was closed down on 30, 31.12 & 1.1 to set up and pull down decorations, tables etc for Gala dinner with no warning at all or feasible explanation
* shower drain blocked one night and it took 3 trips to reception to finally get someone up to unblock it
* when they gave us the final bill, they tried to charge us for a nights accomodation when we werent even there on the said date

Michelle, the new Manager is trying, but until she gets decent staff and procedures, she will struggle bigtime

It has the potential to be great, but right now its rubbish - do yourself a favour and go elsewhere

Room Tip: pick one in another hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank grunter42
Rolleston, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights here and it was fantastic would recommend this place to anyone wanting to stay in Patong but not get any if the noise at night. We stayed in one if the little bungalows and it was great. This place is a very short walking distance to the beach, shops , restaurants and everything that Patong offers yet when you get home with all the palm trees and green gardens you feel as though you are at a peaceful island resort you literally hear nothing of the noisy night life. To top it all off the staff is so accommodating Nothing was too much trouble and we felt very welcomed and comfortable. Breakfast was great I cannot say enough great things about thus place sure there are cheaper options but the peaceful quiet nights sleep was worth the extra to us.If I ever return to Patong 100% I will stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim H
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I don't want to write a review and sound like a sourpuss, because usually I'm pretty easy going, but after staying at this hotel in July with my partner, I finally got aroudn to writing one, and I was very disappointed. To be fair, I believe the main issue was our room in particular (number 411), which was absolutely tiny. It was so small, we didnt even have room to open our suitcases on the floor and has to do so on the bed (which was two single mattresses pushed together). The windows and walls were paper thin, so we could hear conversations that were being had on the balcony and in the next room. The shower had no door, or shower curtain and the pressure was either a trickle, or a power hose, so without the shower door, the entire bathroom basically became a shower. I understand that plumbing is not the best in Thailand, so not all places allow you to flush toilet paper down the toilet, but a lid for the bin would have been nice.

The staff were very nice, and I in no way had a problem with any of them, as they did everything they could to help us. The other thing we had a problem with (which the staff could do nothing about) was the amount of cats around the place...literally hundreds. Was a bit unnerving to walk out in the morning with sixteen cats staring at you. But then, its Thailand, some of these things can be expected.

In conclusion, staff were nice, breakfast was average, location was good, but pretty much everything to do with the room was terrible. Again, I think it was our room in particular, as I asked the people in the room next to us (who's room was about 2 meters wider) if they were also in the superior room, and they said they were, so I think we may have gotten unlucky in getting the bad room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple