“authentic accomodations with friendly helpful staff and tranquil”

Royal Phawadee Village
Ranked #75 of 328 Hotels in Patong
“authentic accomodations with friendly helpful staff and tranquil”
Reviewed 12 November 2010

loved this spot in Patong beach yet you felt away from all the bars, girls, and action although you could walk to all of it. The staff was so helpful and our room was large with gardens and a pool with little thai massage area right there. They had bungalows too that looked great. We were in a scooter accident pulling in one day, and again the staff were at our side helping to contact police, etc, to make what could have been a nightmare not so bad. Also there was a great bookstore a few blocks away if you have run out of english reading, or maybe I am the only Kimbleless person. Would recommend, but south kata noi beach is are more to our liking .

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Thai first
Indianapolis
Reviewed 28 October 2010

This place is cool....a little oasis, of 30+ rooms, quaint, tropical. The BEST thing about this place is a receptionist named Tarn. Tarn is not her full name, its on of those long, hard to pronounce Thai names. But Tarn is THE girl. She is honest, diligent, helpful, and eager to help. She perfectly balances the needs of the business with those of the clients. She is solely responsible for me rating Royal as high as I have. I have the highest respect for her work ethic. I felt like I had a "friend" I could go to for most any question. Service like this is hard to find, in ANY business. 100% vote for Tarn.

We had a villa, the best rooms there. Inside, they are a little dark, due to the paneling and the palm trees outside. The drains didn't drain well, even after they came to fix them. We were in #901. The ceiling had been patched with the same color paint, but a different sheen. Say gloss, patching flat paint. Lets just say that the level of quality I expected in the room was a disappointment. But lets be honest, most people in Patong come here to drink, party, etc. I'm a little more "reasonable" than that crowd, so maybe I'm a little pickier? But, housekeeping does a nice job. So friendly. The daily breakfast is adequate.....the same each day. There is an omlette/egg guy, which is nice. He'll fix you chicken or quail eggs. A nice variety. Pastries, juices, breads and some undercooked bacon. The pool is well kept. There is massage ladies professionally at their ready. Professional ones, good ones, not the prostitutes that line the streets at night.

Tip: It is obviously quite hot here. You get one key, which you put in a slot when you arrive and it powers up your A/C. I highly recommend that you do two things: 1) ask for a spare "key" to keep the power on while you're out and about and 2) hide or take the A/C remote because the cleaning lady will always turn off the A/C. This is a hassle. I appreciate saving energy. But when I'm on vacation, in the tropics, I want my villa cool when I get back to it, not three hours later. :-)

I had no trouble with mosquitoes and I noticed that our villa had screen recently installed. So, they're on top of that issue...no worries.

They have a great driver! I don't know his name, but he is good. He picked us up at the airport. For 700B, its worth it. It's about $21.....they meet you with a sign, load you bags, give you a cold bottle of water and a moist/cool towel to wipe your hand and face off with. Worth it, indeed.

Overall, its a nice place. Tarn made it quite nice. She was the difference between recommend and not recommend. There is some deferred maintenance to tend to. But honestly, I'd like to give credit, they were working hard every day on roofs, exterior painting, etc. So with a little work this can go from a marginal place, to a truly great place.....detail the rooms, make sure the drain and water work properly, and hire more hard-working poeple like Tarn.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank traveller4444
adelaide
Reviewed 17 October 2010

I have been to Patong 24 times now and have stayed at as many resorts. The Royal Phawadee is without doubt the best place I have stayed in. The rooms, staff, food and location is second to none. I absolutely recommend this resort to everyone. The staff at all times were polite and bent over backwards to help us out at all times. I will definately be returning. Thanks again for a wonderful stay!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We spent a week in Bangkok in the Sheraton hotel which is great for it is on the river with a newly done terreasse really on the river and glass fencing which makes you feel you are eating on the river !!!
Also good fitness and 2 pools on the riverside.
It was nice to arrive in a very thai style hotel in Phuket and to be able to relax in a very calm atmosphere.
If we wanted more activities and shoping it was just a few minutes walk from the hotel so we had the best of both world.
The staff was very kind and helpful and the bungalow we had, a 100 % thai style was very well furnished with a lot of taste.
The restaurents give us a possibilties of eating thai as well as very good french food and steaks. Nice to be able to change food during the holidays especially for the kids.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank marc038
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 25 September 2010

I use traveladvisor prior to book my trips as well and I was not disappointed …. This place was designed to look like a traditional Thailand building, which is very well maintained. The gardens outside are amazing, blocks out the noise from the outside, you wouldn’t think that you’re in the city at all. The food was good, staff was great, never had an issues; they are very knowledgeable, helpful and spoke great English. I got the feeling of a “boutique” hotel feel. I personally didn’t experience any of the issues that the previous post indicates and I was there this week. Will I return? … of course! By the way , the room were very spacious but didn’t spend too much time in it, I was enjoy the beach which is just half a block from the hotel which is an added plus!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2010

I spent three nights at the Royal Phawadee in late August, during what is usually described as monsoon season, but was very pleased to get great weather the whole time. The hotel itself is beautiful, built around a large swimming pool, and with plenty of lush foliage and trees. Some of the taller palm trees actually grow up through the edges of the structure itself, which I thought was neat.

I took a standard room, which was large and airy with a big balcony overlooking the pool. It wasn't fancy (whether this was because I took a basic room, or because it's more a 4 star than a 5 star, I don't know) but it was still really nice, and immaculately clean. Large closet, toilet cubicle, washroom/shower, and a safe big enough to put my huge laptop into.

Air conditioning worked great, an absolute MUST if you want to get any sleep in Thailand. I didn't bother turning on the TV, which was an older CRT type. There was a mini-fridge in the room which I used for drinks and fruit etc. Curtains/drapes were thick allowing for a good sleep in if that's what you wanted. Did occasionally hear noise from the street (The door to my room faced the street) but it didn't keep me awake, so not very loud.

The great thing abou the hotel is the location. It's literally a block and a half (if that) from the beach. And the beach is phenomenal. There were plenty of trips and extras you could book through the hotel, but I`d recommend shopping around, as I suspect a bit of a markup. But it might be negotiable... Most things are in Thailand, at least Phuket.

Staff were very polite and helpful; one thing I noted was that the bed was made up with no top sheet, just a sheet on the bottom and a blanket. Now since it`s so hot there, I didn`t really need one, but I wanted a top sheet so I asked the maid, and she made the bed up with one for me right away. An occasional 20 baht tip (all of 80 cents or so) is appreciated, maybe a little more if appropriate. Don`t fall into the habit of tipping more, it`s excessive and the locals will take advantage. (I had the benefit of talking to a local I trusted).
Breakfast was free, included with the room, and was a nice buffet style with a variety of Western style foods from sausages and bacon, to eggs, yogourt, fruit, etc. Restaurants otherwise (ie lunches and dinners) were grossly overpriced and I would recommend taking a 5 minute walk along any road, and saving yourself a bundle.

If I was going back to Phuket, I`d stay there again. You hear horror stories about some places, but I thought Royal Phawadee was great.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank CDNinNZ
Nairobi
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Me and my houseband stayed for nights in this hotel.We always decide through tripadvisor and for the first time we were wrong.
The location is really good.
The breakfast is poor.
The rooms are old fashion and small.
The staff is friendl but their english is not good enough.
The rooms have this heavy humide smell.
Our shower was full of water after we showered.We tell to fix it but it was the same when we come back in the evening.
We cheched a few hotels after we came lots of to the half price and much better looking.

• Stayed September 2010
Phawadee, Owner at Royal Phawadee Village, responded to this review, 2 October 2010
Dear Mr Konak

I am truly sorry you got a bad impression of our hotel. We are a small ‘Thai Village-style’- hotel with just 36 rooms and you stayed in one of our six Superior rooms. These are not large but reflect the Thai-style of our hotel. We also have larger rooms and Pavilions.

Phuket being in the tropics is faced with heavy monsoon rains during the summer months and these cause very high humidity levels which are nearly impossible to deal with as everyone in the hotel industry here will agree. The degree of dampness caused by the heavy rains always results in a ‘musty’ smell no matter what precautions are taken.

You stated you were unhappy with the breakfast served at the buffet and I am sorry for that. We serve many nationalities during the course of the season and if a guest can tell us of any particular type of food preferred we can try to satisfy that need, otherwise we serve the normal buffet-style menu. Any suggestion from yourself in this regard would be welcome.

I also regret the shower problem you mentioned. I think the cause of not solving the problem was due to a misunderstanding with our maintenance engineer. The Thai-style shower normally functions without problem and the waste water flows out in the right way. As a result of your comments we have decided to upgrade the piping system to make sure this problem does not happen again.

Whilst I can understand why you were upset and angry about your experiences with us I can assure you my staff always try to do their very best to keep our guests happy and satisfied. We have many guests who stay with us again and again for many years and this is the review from one of them:-

“We booked this hotel for one night mainly because of its close location to Bangla Road and the nightlife, when we got there we were amazed the hotel is not just like any other hotel, it has that friendly Thai village look about it.
The rooms were spotless, toilet was separate from the shower room which was nice and big and there was hot water all the time, unlike other of the pool and restaurant that was it for us. We booked another 2 nights there the next morning.
We had arranged to stay on Phi-Phi for one night and then come back to here for our last night. The staff took our luggage and held it in storage for us and when we returned the next day they had given us the same room and had our bags and stuff already I the room waiting for us. Lovely, friendly people – can’t recommend this place enough (Agoda review)”
This happen exactly the same day your are with us.

Once again I am very sorry you experienced problems during your stay with us and thank you taking the time and trouble of telling us so we can look at the problem areas you mentioned.

Yours Sincerely