“Very nice Resort”

Patong Paragon Resort & Spa
Ranked #121 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed only 2 nights @ this resort and really enjoyed it. We booked a Poolside room and it was very spacious and of an excellent standard.
The cost was a little on the high side but I guess worth it for the quality of accomodation and we made the mistake of not including breakfast in our package.
For some reason the resort thought that we were on our honeymoon so left extra treats in our room (even though we have been married for 17 years), it was a lovely thought though.
The walk to town is only about 15 minutes along the beach front but we got hassled so much by touters (timeshare resort timewasters) that we ended up having to take a tuktuk into town as that was the only way to avoid them.
The taxis and tuktuk providers are right outside the door and charged us about $200 baht each way. I think this is a rip off but we did try bartering with them and they wouldn't budge so we had no choice other than waiting for the free shuttle provided by the Hotel (only 3 trips per day).
Patong itself wasn't really our thing but the resort was great, especially the pool with its many water features and the swim up bar.
My only criticism was that the reception staff could have been friendlier and the television is not a flat screen.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Karen C

Reviewed 7 May 2013

First of all, I have to admit that before coming to the hotel, I read some bad remarks regarding the impolite attitude of paragon staff in few sites, but I have chosen to ignore them. I honestly thought that these are exaggerated and are attributed to tourists who mistreat the local staff (as often viewed in East Asian countries) however in this case the bad reviews were sadly correct and even understated!!!! The hotel front desk staff are no less than shameful and their attitude outrages and humiliating.
Our first “clash” with the front-desk staff happened after one of our suitcase failed to arrive at the airport. We were instructed in the airport to contact the airport personnel upon our arrival to the hotel in Phuket, however, when we request aid in such matter, the hotel staff replied us that “this is your problem and you should sort it by yourself”. An outrages reply from a 4.5 star hotel staff, in which we are paid for 6 people, 3 rooms for 4 days stay in advance.
Furthermore, we were requested to call the domestic calls to Phuket airport (to verify whether our suitcase was found) from our own room, on our account and not from the front desk in order to be charged with such calls. After protesting such mis-treatment another front desk clerk agreed to help us converse with the Thai authorities, as it is costmary in every decent hotel (Astonishingly, upon leaving the room we were charged with the costs of such (domestic) calls with out telling us as oppose to what we were told): All such in a 4.5 stars hotel which charges as high rates as any other such level hotel.
However the major problem occurred upon leaving the hotel. After checking out by 5 of the 6 people and 2 out of the 3 rooms, I have stayed by myself in the hotel for 2 more hours because my flight back to Tokyo was due that afternoon, while my family members proceeded to Koh-Yao (I have paid additional 50% of the room costs for such late check-out). During the early check-out we have cleared all our bills and were promised that no additional billing exited by the front desk people. I have made reservation for Airport pick-up and paid for it in advance. Yet, when such pick-up came, the hotel staff detained me in the entrance telling me that we have additional bills that was not paid for room service, for phone bills and such. In addition they accused me that while fixing the room, two bathroom glasses were not found and charged me for an additional 150 baht (!!) for such glasses.
Needless to say that I require no extra glasses for my flight back to Tokyo (nor the hotel bathroom glasses were so stunning that I would seek to steel them) and that we never heard about the extra bills presented to me during our checkout 2 hours before!!!!

While demanding such extra payments, the front desk people detained the airport pick up and informed me and the rest of the passengers (whom I obviously did not know) that the pick up shall not proceed to the airport until I shall pay my bill. This embarrassing and humiliating misbehavior was aimed at pressuring me to pay additional imaginary sums that I have never heard of. The guy working at the front desk at the time, who was obviously in charge, was the same guy that we have requested to aid us in retrieving our suitcase in the first day.
The ride to the airport was further detained and I requested to the hotel staff to call the police. I was sure of my innocence and I knew that the front desk worker accusations were false and I wished the police to hear such story. The staff refused to call the police but started negotiating with me for the payment and trying to stalling time in order to pressure me even more to pay extra.
I won’t go into further details but eventually I caved in and agreed to pay a relatively low sum of around 200 baht just to leave the hotel. Thinking about the fact that we paid around 100 times this sum for our stay in the hotel, I really do not understand such behavior. It was humiliating and shameful and left a very very bad taste to the stay in Thailand. It was my 3rd time in Thailand and I have never witnessed such behavior in hotels, especially in such that label themselves as luxurious and rated 4.5 stars. I have been living in Asia for the last 4 years and was never mistreated in such way.
Again, it is a shame that one bad employee and his subordinates in the hotel can ruin such a wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: go to different hotel...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank YoavH_13
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

We found 4D3N deal on groupon. It included daily breakfast, Thai set dinner for two, welcome drink and fruit, Free wifi.
We arranged for airport transfer, which was very convenient, though cost more than finding our own taxi. The lobby is clean, open and welcoming. Check in was quick and hassle free.
Room was huge, clean, beautifully decorated with Thai decor. The pool is fun for kids, not deep at all. The hotel is located at the end of patong beach which was nice and quieter. 2 mins walk away from the beach, beach towels can be borrowed at the concierge.
Breakfast was nice, the Thai set dinner was plentiful some way too spicy for us though.
In the evening, we walked to Bangla road which is about 10-15min walk away. That's where all the night life is.
There's a tour agency booth set up in the lobby of the hotel, the lady was very friendly, and gave us good deals without us asking. I would definitely recommend booking through her.
Overall experience, we really enjoyed our stay at this resort. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank CheryllHart
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This is a nice place to stay in Patong, I stayed here for 7 nights in April 2013 and was very happy. It is about 1km from the Jungceylon shopping centre and next door to the Novotel at a quieter end of the beach but still within walking distance to everything. The rooms are enormous although the bed was hard but I asked for a mattress topper and this was supplied immediately with the option of more than one. The breakfast buffet was good and was included in my room rate. The pool was well maintained and was never crowded, often there weren't any pool towels but after a quick call to reception someone appeared with more straight away. Internet wasn't included in the rate but I thought the pricing was good. Check in and out was hassle free and the concierge was very helpful. I had a room with ocean view (which I asked for) and there was a bit of traffic noise but nothing excessive. I would stay there again but probably in a pool view room.

Room Tip: I would ask for a pool view room as it will be quieter. If you like direct access to the pool then g...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Yvonne S
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Our family booked two rooms connecting by the pool as suggested by our friends who were here before and have had a good memory for this hotel. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a young bellboy with a smile,then, the reception was also very efficient and greeted us in Thai way by saying " sawasdee". we were there ahead of the usual check in time (1400 Hrs) but because we have an elderly couple with us, reception was kind enough to find rooms for us. Rooms were big with full amenities, private balcony leading to the pool, just open the gate, very convenience. Swimming pool is large with the bar in the middle of the pool on the island. nerby is a fitness centre & sauna. Bufft breakfast had varieties of dishes with freshly made-to-order eggs counter, the room and all areea were clean, service were great, attentive. the only thing that need attention is the English language. You have to speak slowly than usual to make them understand. Beach itself is close by, just across the road from hotel. Beach towel available at the bell, very convenience (pool towel separately stationed at fitness centre). In general, we are all love it and enjoy our stay very much especially our parents. Recommend to all

Room Tip: rooms by the pool is very convenience
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Takeshi S
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Stayed here for 8 days over April 2013, hotel was selected as it was recommended by our travel agent and had a good special on offer. Was well priced though I thought it was still a little steep after investigating some others in Patong. Service was standard: never any pool towels when wanted had to ring lobby to send bell boy too unlock, then he was adamant we signed for each, felt like he was rather reluctant. Room service number did not work the whole time so had to go via the lobby with poor English and experienced some rude hang ups by staff. Fruit and welcome drink that was offered was a mission to track down after 3 days we finally got serviced at the attached coffe shop. Rooms were large and clean. Hotel ok but not by any means memorable.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brad M
Reviewed 26 April 2013

My partner & I stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks in April 2013 and it was fantastic. I have been to Thailand 3 times all with different hotels and this was one of the best. We arrived at 2am was welcomed by friendly staff who made our check in quick and painfree. I agree the bed was rock ahrd but in Thailand you will get that at most hotels. We asked for a mattress topper and one was delivered to us in the morning which made things so much better!
Had brekky a few times which was nice i would recommend getting the chef to make something rather than the open food.
We stayed in a pool access room which was huge! But dont get caught out sitting on the loo with the "window" open (sliding window into the room). Pool was very nice a little shallow all the way around and yes it did have a little sand at the bottom but what do you expect when heaps of people are in and out when they have just been to the beach!!
Pool bar is average price but still nice and quick service when someone is there.
Location is right across the road from the beach and a short Tuk Tuk ride to Bangla Road (main drinking road) or a 20min walk along the beach.
Security always at the hotel and willing to help you cross the road to the 7/11 is you need it.
Overall i loved this hotel and would defo be back there.
The Tuk Tuk service outside is great too - a guy called Little E was our regular driver and was fantastic!
Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Room Tip: Pool Access Room is a must!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple