“Hard beds, poor service”

Deevana Plaza Phuket Patong
Ranked #21 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Tampa, Florida
“Hard beds, poor service”
Reviewed 13 July 2009

The Mercure Patong Phuket is aesthetically very attractive, simple decor, great pool. However, the beds were as hard as rocks, so my boyfriend and I spent the nights tossing and turning and woke with aching backs and hips. Additionally, the rooms had a very musty smell to them that did not go away with constant air conditioning (we left a room key in the room so that the air conditioner would stay on even when we were out).

The location was fine. It's close enough to the beach and to the Jungcelon. I found it strange that the staff wouldn't call a taxi or tuk tuk for us even in the pouring rain so we had to walk down to the curb to hail our own (overpriced) cab. That being said, I liked being away from the center of things as I found the Patong atmosphere with the creepy Western men with their teenaged Thai "girlfriends" rather unpalatable.

This place also was guilty of nickel and diming. Internet access was 800B/day, more than even the most expensive hotels in the US. They charged me extra on top of my room fee to use my credit card to pay (this I have never seen in a major hotel branch), and again, to hail a cab to the airport, they would charge me 950B when I could walk down to the curb and get a cab to the airport for 500B.

After this experience, I don't think I'll be staying at an Accor group hotel again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2009

The reception area and staff at this hotel are very professional and efficient. We stayed on the 5th (M) floor in one of the Deluxe suites and were very impressed with the decor and cleanliness. Tea hour is served once a day for the rooms on this floor, but we were never in during the afternoon, but returned to find a tray of tea and assorted biscuits/cake in our room- very nice touch. However, once the incense from the in-room burners died down, the smell from the washroom was very bad. We did bring this to the attention of the front-desk staff, who then just brought more incense into the room and said they were having plumbing/irrigation problems. So the stench lingered for all 4 days of our stay, but luckily we spent most of our time out and about, so it wasnt TOO bad. The cleaning staff are also very attentive and our room was replaced with new towels at least 4 times a day.

On to the amenities of the hotel. The pool is gorgeous and well maintained. The Venus spa is also very top-notch in terms of professionalism and sanitation. It was certainly pricier than the spas along the street nearby, but the ambiance and quality is incomparable. As for the restaurant (breakfast and dinner), we found the food very poor. Despite the many choices available for both the breakfast and dinner menus, I am sorry to say almost nothing was up to par for a hotel of that standard. The "hot" food was almost always cold and sat lonely on the serving plates... The World Cafe was usually empty when we were there. Overall, there is much better (thai and western) food nearby. On a brighter note, the happy-hours were great (3 of them throughout the day), especially the chi-chis that are served in the Pool Bar early in the evenings. Nice for winding up after a day of PhiPhi Island.

Lastly, location-wise, the hotel is great if you don't mind walking the 7 minutes down to Patong beach. We loved the location as it was away from the commotion of the beach at night and was very close too everything still. Overall, a great stay!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I checked into The Mercure Patong for two nights in early June 2009. I was sharing a double room with my brother. Neither of us felt too good so we were looking forward to resting. The room was so humid that the air-conditioning didn't seem to have been cut on in several days and even the bed felt moist. Not to mention that the room was incredibly small, with maybe a 22 inch tv, and the tiny twin beds were way too firm for my liking.
After about 30 minutes I decided to call to complain about the A/C not working well and requested moving to another room. They sent someone to adjust the A/C and I told them if it doesn't start working in another 30 minutes we would like to move to another room. I also told them to go ahead and cut on the A/C in that room so it would be cooled down when we moved.
After another 45 minutes it still never cooled down and I called the Holiday Inn and decided to check out another room there (on foot a five minute walk). I stayed at the Holiday Inn in 2001 before the Tsunami and they had totally redone the rooms. Not to mention the beds were bigger and far more confortable that The Mercure for the same price (around 2,900 baht).
I walked back up to the room and it never cooled down (like a steam bath without the steam). You should have seen the look when I decided to check out. I moved to The Holiday Inn Patong which was the smartest thing I did in Phuket. I would definitely recommend not getting a pool view room at The Mercure Phuket because that may be contributing to the humidity that has invaded this hotel. It is unfortunate because I am a fan of the Accor chain.

Pro's: New, Big Pool, close to Bangla Rd.

Cons: Bad A/C, tiny 20-inch tv, small twin beds (way too firm), incredibly small rooms, a 10 minute walk to the beach.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank wanderlust1966
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I managed to book 3 nights at the Mercure via the internet about 10 hours ahead of checking in which was a fantastic start to begin with.

The hotel was not along the beach but was about 3 minutes walk away. It did not really matter as the facilities in the hotel were absolutely fantastic.

The staff at the check in counter were extremely helpful and friendly and we were immediately given a welcome drink upon arrival. Our rooms were ready and keys were given within minutes.

Our 2 kids aged 7 and 3 were delighted to see that they had separate bunker beds and this was located in a tastefully decorated kiddie corner in the room.

Access to anywhere was walking distance.

The hotel swimming pool was just amazing.

This is definitely a hotel we would stay in should we go to Patong Beach in future.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Stayed there for 6 nights June 2009, most of the rooms are pool view room, room comfortable and tidy, most staff have little grasp of English but far better than my Thai. Breakfast was interesting, If you are a bacon lover then you will not find any on view I heard comments from other people who were disappointed that there was none, which is not correct but if you wanted bacon you had to ask for it, no sign so many did not know it was available, generally slow at topping up the other dishes. They have a seafood dinner on Fridays on the roof top but be warning get there early as they have the seafood laid out on ice in a boat but they did not top up the lobster once the initial lot had gone, at 799 Blt plus 10% not a good value meal if you arrived later. First hotel I have stayed at that charges for ice. It may be because it is low season but they seemed to be trying to save on topping up food but it was counter productive as people just went out to the many other restaurants and eating places. Great swimming pool.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
wellington
Reviewed 21 June 2009

if this hotel was in nz it would be a 6 star. location is about 20min walk to action packed bangla rd and 10min walk to patong beach.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
new south wales
Reviewed 6 June 2009

We have just returned from eleven nights at the Mercure Patong.This was a family trip with our four kids aged 8,10,14 and 16.As we like a lot of space we booked three rooms.A suite for us with an adjoining room for the younger two and another room next door to that for the older two.Check in was quick and easy and for the first time in ages we actually had exactly what we'd asked for.No frantic room or bedding changes to be made.Our rooms were pool facing on the fifth floor.They were spacious,comfortable and spotlessly clean.Our cleaner did a wonderful job every day and it was such an oasis of cool and calm to come home to.Last year we stayed at the Novotel and loved it but as we had the kids this time we went for something a bit closer to the beach and shops.The Mercure is in an ideal location.It is a short walk to the beach and Otop markets and close enough to Jungceylon or anything else for that matter.The main pool was always clean and did not bother our eyes or ears.The roof pool was also good for a little quiet dip now and then.We found all staff to be friendly and helpful.We ate at the restaurant now and then and the food was excellent.All the public toilet areas were always pristine as was the entire hotel.We never saw it dirty,never found it noisy and really couldn't fault it.Next door are a couple of family marts for small purchases and there is a tour stall just out front of them.The woman there arranged some great excursions for us at very reduced prices such as a trip to Phi Phi and an elephant safari.All these trips went smoothly,were excellent value and couldn't be faulted.The area was safe enough for our teenagers to come and go as they wanted and the guards at the gates were very vigilant about keeping an eye on guests whenever they went out or returned.We had a fabulous time at the Mercure,always felt safe and wouldn't hesitate to return or recommend it to anyone.It is great value for the price.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family