“Enjoyed our stay, but would stay again”

Deevana Plaza Phuket Patong
Ranked #18 of 321 Hotels in Patong
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Enjoyed our stay, but would stay again”
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Aloha! Our stay at the mercure was good dont get me wrong. The big thing with us was the location. Its at the very end of the main road so to get anywhere was a long long walk. There were a few rest. across the street , food was okay, always empty... free wifi at the restaraunts though so that was a plus since the hotel did not offer free wifi. had to pay. The pool is nice, large with a small sunken bar. Expensive a bit but we took advantage of the 2 for one deals during happy hour. There is also a rooftop pool. we were the only ones up there... with a bar.... very small. The rooms are minimal, with a small balcony. Very hard beds. had a smell like it had possibly recently been painted. In room safe that we used. The balcony looked over the pool which was nice but not very private at all. Oh... once cool thing was that during the day if youre laying out by the pool the women from the spa will come around asking if you want a free massage. I think it was to pull customers over to the spa, which we never did. We just enjoyed our free 10 minute massages and tipped the women. it was enough for us since we went next door for a full body massage. About $8.... at the hotel the massage packages are much more expensive. Alll in all our stay here was good... but i would def. look around some more next time. maybe something in a different area in a more central location. We loved phuket but being from hawaii.... we liked our stay in bangkok much better. This year when we return to thailand we will be skipping phuket and all beach destinations all together...and will be doing Bangkok, kanchanaburi, Chiang Mai and then back to Bangkok for the last 2 days.
almost forgot. Dont eat the the hotel rest. its a waste of money.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2010

My family of 2 adults and 2 children (aged 5 and 2) stayed at the Mercure for 7 nights in May 2010 and were extremely impressed with this hotel. We stayed in a family room with queen bed and bunk beds in a curtained off area. The rooms were clean and quiet. The family rooms don't have balconies for safety reasons which is good so the view is nothing special. However the pool area was fantastic. My husband loved the swim up bar and there is a small shaded kids pool. The main pool is well shaded after 3pm which is perfect after a hot day of shopping or excursions. Plenty of beach lounges available also, with a policy that you can't hold chairs with towels etc. Breakfast was extensive with plenty on offer. The hotel is walking distance to Jungceylon shopping centre and there are shops and markets from the moment you walk out of the hotel as well as an atm and convenience store. The spa within the hotel is reasonably price and wonderful. My only negative is that the kids room didnt seem to be staffed but we didnt use it anyway. We will use this hotel on our next trip to Phuket and reccommend to all our friends.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank holidaysrgr8t
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Though I made a reservation well in advance, I felt slighted upon arrival by being assigned a room way over in a far corner. I took it but requested a room change for night two and got a "perfect" one (to me, at least) on a high floor center nicely overlooking the pool - which is certainly a highlight of the place (looking down at the pool at night from the patio is nice!), The pool is nice, long enough to do laps but also has music and a swim-up bar so it can please (almost) all comers. Breakfast buffet was acceptable and I like the nice sun-flooded room, but staff could learn a little manners. They kept pestering me about a need to pay extra and even when I told them I'll deal with it and settle it AFTER breakfast, talk to the front desk, they came for 2 approaches at one breakfast meal. That paled compared with the ultimate gaffe: At 2:30 a.m, on night 2, when I'm fast asleep, people in the neighboring room actually walked into my room; it seems their connecting door was fully accessible to enter mine, though from my side it was locked (I checked!) Hearing voices in my room, I awakened in shock and ran toward the door to protect myself, only to slip on water condensation that had accumulated from the AC overnight, fall and hurt myself in the process. Luckily the unexpected visitors were harmless. Drinks at the front lobby bar were, in my opinion, a bit overpriced (this is still Phuket), front desk staff seemed to prefer answering their personal cell phones to speaking with a guest, and the manager was "in a meeting" when I asked to speak with him/her about the overnight invasion incident. Okay, I've been sour grapes so I'll end on a happy note: Room service dinners were punctual and tasty! My advice: Don't avoid this place, but do try and get one of Accor's 3-for-2 deals and whatever you do, if you stay here do NOT pay full walk-up rates!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank roughingit
India
Reviewed 5 June 2010

We booked this hotel for our honeymoon stay. On reaching the hotel, we were welcomed with some special Thai drink. Though getting into the room took a little time, but once we were into our room.. it was just too good. Spacious room, well decorated for the occasion with an excellent pool view and sexy bathroom.

It is nearby the Patong Beach, about 0.5kms walking distance through the market. It has beautiful swimming pool and Pool side bar, Gym and lovely terrace too. Food is good but as vegetarian we didn't had too many options but i think that was across Phuket. We liked so much our stay here that we extended our stay by another 2 nights.

A couple of problems included- the Room key that didn't work a couple of times, and it took us some effort and time to get into the room after calling in help from reception every time. The experience at their spa wasn' t the best I have had so far. And the other thing I would like to mention, that we filled in the membership form for their hotel chain available at reception but then I never received my Membership Number or Card till date.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I stayed at the Mercure with my friend for 6 nights in May and we loved it. The room was very spacious and we we're on the 3rd floor... the city view room is not that spectacular (pool room would be recommended) but then again we watched fireworks from our balconey two of the nights and it was quite enjoyable. The breakfast buffet had a good variety of foods, we managed to have something different every day. The rooms were always cleaned very well and the staff were all polite. The bottom pool wasn't too crowded and the sun bar was nice to sit at and have cocktails. The roof pool was closed for some of our stay for maintenance so we only used it once.
The only thing I disliked was that the shower drained very slowly. I took a bit longer one night when I washed my hair and when I stepped out of the shower half the bathroom had water all over it. Not good when there's 2 people sharing a room who both want a shower after a long day!
I would definitely recommend Oasis cafe right next door for their wifi - you just need to buy some food and it's cheaper than using the Mercure's net. Also for washing, if you walk just past Oasis there's a tour desk booth which did our washing for 50THB a kilo and i'd definitely recommend it! Also it's just a very short walk from OTOP markets and about 10-15 mins stroll to Jungceylong and Bangla Rd.
I would definitely recommend the Mercure!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
victoria
Reviewed 23 May 2010

Hi : We stayed at Mercure from 24th April for 2 weeks, Check in was very efficient. Stayed in a Superiour Pool View room on 5th level. Room was lovely, cleaned to perfection, bathroom had all amenities. Fresh towels twice a day. Breakfast was more than adequate and staff were lovely and gentle, always eager to please.(Often think some Australian hospitality workers could learn of the Thai ) We have stayed at this resort before so did;nt hesitate in staying there . Have to say noise was an issue, not from the pool area but from bands playing across the river out the back. There was also an annoying rooster out the back thay should be shot!! The band played until about 1am.
There seemed to be a problem with the pool filter system while we were there. Hence there was quite a few ladies with green hair. Never had an issue with crowds at pool or found the shade to be a problem. If anything having shade around a pool is great in that heat. Can' believe someone said the pool was cold. Every day we were in it , it was very warm.
The locaction is fantastic so close to everything. Perhaps the only slight blight would be the fact a housemaid asked us for her tip before we left. We always tip anyway but don't like having to be asked!!
Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
geelong
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Stayed at the Mercure Patong for our 1st week of our 3 week honeymoon. Also stayed at Phi Phi Island Village and Buri Rasa Koh Samui (read my reviews). As it was my first holiday to Thailand and my wifes first time out of Australia I was expecting it to be a lot like Bali (travelled there 7 times before and loved it) and I was right at home within the first hour. Bali-Phuket are basically the same with a few differences.
Anyway, I'm here to leave my mark about the Mercure Patong. After reading 100+ reviews on over 50 hotels in patong I decided to stay at the mercure and I wasn't dissapointed. I mean it isn't the creme de la creme but for around 100 bucks a night it had everything you could want. The room (standard) was on the 4th floor overlooking the pool and the room itself was clean, modern and had a lcd tv which is good for when you come back to your room after a long afternoon in the sun for your pre party siesta.
The food for breakfast was good even if it never changed for the 7 nights but there was plenty of choices from your freshly made omelettes / eggs to as muchbacon as you could eat. Being the typical man I am, bacon and eggs every morning was fine for me. The resort has a great pool and happy hour is good. The restaurants directy out the front serve dead cheap freshly cooked yummy food.
Spent 1 day (which is accessible by 15min. long tail boat from patong beach or 10 min. taxi) at a nice quiet beach call freedom bay/beach. This is a must if you go to Phuket. Trust me on this. Just take a book, towel, hire you snorkle gear and stuff at the place and enjoy the scenery. Have a tiny restaurant there too. Write Freedom Bay down somewhere on your must to do list.
As for the rest of our trip, shopped til we dropped, ate too many prawns the size of banana's, drank too many buckets and did the ping pong show which is one of those things you must do and then agree that you'll never do it angain.
I recommend the mercure over the patong merlin and others around the same value due to it's location off the busiest shopping strip but close enough and far enough from the sleaziness of Bangla Rd.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple