Phuket Wake Park
Ranked #28 of 91 things to do in Kathu
More attraction details
Owner description: Phuket Wake Park is one of the most exciting and challenging activities to experience in Phuket. Located in the middle of the island, the park offers 2 wakeboarding tracks on a freshwater lake. One shorter cable for the beginners and another one going all around the lake for the most experienced riders. On a full size cable you will find 11 UNIT obstacles for riding on: 2 kickers L, long pipe, Kevin Henshaw, straight slider, Steffen Vollert, rooftop, step down, funbox, transition rail, table top. Phuket Wake Park is a thrilling refreshing activity for both adults and children. Wakeboards, life vests and helmet can be rented directly on-site. For very beginners there are professional coaches, who can teach you how to stand up and manage your wakeboard. Phuket Wake Park also hosts a bar and restaurant serving Thai and Western delicacies including: BBQ chicken, pizzas, pastas and sandwiches. New working hours: 7:30-21:00 Tue-Sun, Monday opens at 10:00am. You can check open hours at facebook page (PhuketWakePark) or on website. Rates start from THB 650/adult and THB 450/child for 2 hrs riding including free wakeboard, vest and helmet.
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Cam here as a beginner. They have no interest in beginners and all they wanted to do was give me and my children a couple of runs on the beginner course before throwing us to the wolfs in the main circuit. Staff were unhelpful yelling out what to do rather than actually show you. My advice...give it a wide berth, not worth it at all.

2  Thank WendyStephen92

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I’ve been to Phuket cable ski a couple of times before and recently they have spent a lot of money improving the building side of things. Sadly they forgot you need equipment and staff.

If you have your own equipment you will be fine. If you’re just turning up whilst on holiday then forget it. They have only 2, yes that’s right 2 knee boards. Actually only really 1 because the other fills up with water it’s so damaged. Things are little better when it comes to wake boards. 3 or 4 with decent bindings (again 1 of them was snapped) and a few with poor quality foot straps. They do of course have better boards available to rent for extra money on top of the 900 baht for 2 hours but no options when it come to knee boards. Just the 1 1/2 already mentioned.

Halfway through my session I couldn’t find any equipment to use so asked the guys behind the counter who fixed equipment. They just pointed in the vague direction of the swimming pool / training area and said “see manager”. There was a guy fixing the filter on the pool talking on the phone. I waited and spoke to him but he was just the pool guy !

Eventually I found the elusive manager on duty, a bored looking young lady more concerned with looked good in her in her T-shirt and hot pants than anything else. “You’ve got a great facility here and you’ve done a load of work since my last visit but you really let yourself down when it comes to equipment.” I said. "There isn’t any equipment left to use” Her response will remain with me for a very long time and I will use it as an example of how not to deal with customer feedback - “So ?” She couldn’t even bother to give me a "so what ?", just “So ?” and with that she walked away.

I was a bit stunned and carried on looking for a wakeboard to use. Failing in my hunt I went to the lady behind the cashiers desk and said I’d like half my 900 baht entry fee refunded because there was no equipment to use thinking that hitting them where it hurt would prompt a response of more than just “So ?”. The “manager’ was dutifully summoned. “I don’t buy the equipment” was her response. 5 times the number of words from our last encounter but still not ideal. "You can rent a board.” The point is I didn’t want to use the jumps and ramps so a “standard” board would have been fine. Also that didn’t solve the problem of no knee boards. Knee boarding is much easier than wake boarding and also it gives your arms a chance to rest. Thankfully a board had now become free along with a knee board, sadly it was the one that filled up with water.

The regular kids were having a great time but of course they either had their own equipment or they amused themselves by just launching on a tow line without any equipment at all. They made it 10 feet, climbed back onto the launch deck and were handed a tow line again ahead of us waiting holiday punters. Some were just floating around in the water in front of the launch area - I wouldn’t have minded but they were floating on the 1 good knee board the site owns !

It’s worth pointing out that they weren’t busy today. This was the day before Songkran and Sonkran starts in the afternoon of the 12th in Phuket (Songkran is the 13th). On a busy day you could potentially not get a single ski due to lack of equipment.

I hate people that come away from somewhere and moan on Tripadvisor without raising their complaint at the time. I went to some lengths to resolve the issue “on the ground" and I was really pleasant making sure I paid compliments first. I wasn’t irate, I didn’t shout or jump up and down, I was pleasant. The response still rings in my ears!

So unless you are a pro staying for the season and bringing your own equipment don’t bother wasting your time and money.

Just on the off chance someone comes on here and makes a management response remember I raised the issue at the time and they really couldn’t care less. By the time they pay the usual lip service of an organisation caught in the glare of Tripadvisor I will have long since returned home 6,000 miles away.

12  Thank Henry901
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My husband and I went to this and were very excited as we love wakeboarding back home in Australia. We bought 4hours and had to hire for an extra 550 baht a actual good board which is cheaper than Australia but the bindings and the actual board were not "professional" standard as mentioned so were better off getting the free boards. Before we got to have our first turn the cable stopped and the staff disappeared after wanting 20minutes we took off our boards and went to go find someone. Apparently the compressor was broken but no one told us so waited another half hour for it to be fixed. We finally get to ride and all was fine but after nearly an hour the cable stopped again. My husband tried t get money back at least for the 2hours we waited for but they were so rude and completely refused, after a couple of people arguing with them they finally gave some money back. We were so disappointed and can't understand that ye have no standards or policy, some people have suggested Bangkok cake park so go there avoid Phuket!

8  Thank Megan Y
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I was trying a frontroll off the kicker and separated my shoulder. By no means their fault but to have no medical staff on grounds is unacceptable at a place this size. They did drive me to a hospital which was nice but i was told later that was one of the worst hospitals and should have gone to bangkok hospitals (a chain for foreigners). Never got my security deposit back either.

Most of the reason for the bad review is for the place itself. It was cool but the line was ridiculous as everyone was a beginner and just held onto the rope and took laps. Little kids would skip you and the staff would let other thai people in front of you even if it wasn't their turn. Also I paid extra for a VIP board and the quality of the board and bindings was very poor.

Definitely wished I spent my time and money somewhere else. There are way better attractions in Thailand.

4  Thank Stephen P
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The Wake Park is a great place for those interested in Wake-boarding.

About 25 minutes from Patong by car, not expensive at all (700 Baht for 2 hours) and you have the ability to choose your own board.

Has snack bar/dining area, small swimming pool, practice area and all things considered, is safe/fun for the whole family.

Only suggestion is to ensure you book transport back because for some reason they are not so helpful in getting you a tuk-tuk or taxi back - that was the only disappointment.