“First Timers Avoid This!”
Review of Phuket Wake Park

Phuket Wake Park
Ranked #28 of 87 things to do in Kathu
More attraction details
Owner description: Phuket Wake Park is one of the most exciting and challenging activities to experience in Phuket. Located in the middle of the island, the park offers 2 wakeboarding tracks on a freshwater lake. One shorter cable for the beginners and another one going all around the lake for the most experienced riders. On a full size cable you will find 11 UNIT obstacles for riding on: 2 kickers L, long pipe, Kevin Henshaw, straight slider, Steffen Vollert, rooftop, step down, funbox, transition rail, table top. Phuket Wake Park is a thrilling refreshing activity for both adults and children. Wakeboards, life vests and helmet can be rented directly on-site. For very beginners there are professional coaches, who can teach you how to stand up and manage your wakeboard. Phuket Wake Park also hosts a bar and restaurant serving Thai and Western delicacies including: BBQ chicken, pizzas, pastas and sandwiches. New working hours: 7:30-21:00 Tue-Sun, Monday opens at 10:00am. You can check open hours at facebook page (PhuketWakePark) or on website. Rates start from THB 650/adult and THB 450/child for 2 hrs riding including free wakeboard, vest and helmet.
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

The facility is not bad at all if you know what you are doing. If its your first time to try this or still learning, i wouldn't recommend it.

No structured learning program, safety policies are weak.

In saying that the staff were very friendly but it is really fir those who know their stuff.

1  Thank Mohammed1948

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Traveling with kids aged 11 and 13 and they were busting to have a go (we have a ski boat and ski/wake board at home). Everyone struggled to get up. The guys manning the park were only half heartedly interested. We had to middle our way through finding where to pay, which boards to use and then how to start. It is not really a pleasant setting. Others who were more experienced than us got up ok and seemed to be enjoying it. We paid for two hours and had had enough by the end of that time. Not something that would be high on my list to do again.

1  Thank kcsun71
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Came here as an Australian intermediate wake boarder with my own gear . Rode 3 days before going to Anthem wake park then Thai wake park in bangkok
*POSITIVES
Never lined up any time of the day, 1000 baht for an entire day with new pricing
Night riding til 10 was a real treat!
Cable and features were all good but nothing exceptional
The "professional" hire gear was the best I have seen at any wake park (hyperlite system bindings and good boards)
Lifts back to the start when you fall off
*NEGATIVES
Very little English spoken if you are requiring assistance as a beginner
The gear they are selling is more expensive than in Australia!
Terrible Hire gear unless you got the "professional" package as mentioned above
You really are taking your life into your own hands if you are trying new tricks as none of the staff would risk getting wet feet to save you!

5  Thank mitchellsailor
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Cam here as a beginner. They have no interest in beginners and all they wanted to do was give me and my children a couple of runs on the beginner course before throwing us to the wolfs in the main circuit. Staff were unhelpful yelling out what to do rather than actually show you. My advice...give it a wide berth, not worth it at all.

2  Thank WendyStephen92
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I’ve been to Phuket cable ski a couple of times before and recently they have spent a lot of money improving the building side of things. Sadly they forgot you need equipment and staff.

If you have your own equipment you will be fine. If you’re just turning up whilst on holiday then forget it. They have only 2, yes that’s right 2 knee boards. Actually only really 1 because the other fills up with water it’s so damaged. Things are little better when it comes to wake boards. 3 or 4 with decent bindings (again 1 of them was snapped) and a few with poor quality foot straps. They do of course have better boards available to rent for extra money on top of the 900 baht for 2 hours but no options when it come to knee boards. Just the 1 1/2 already mentioned.

Halfway through my session I couldn’t find any equipment to use so asked the guys behind the counter who fixed equipment. They just pointed in the vague direction of the swimming pool / training area and said “see manager”. There was a guy fixing the filter on the pool talking on the phone. I waited and spoke to him but he was just the pool guy !

Eventually I found the elusive manager on duty, a bored looking young lady more concerned with looked good in her in her T-shirt and hot pants than anything else. “You’ve got a great facility here and you’ve done a load of work since my last visit but you really let yourself down when it comes to equipment.” I said. "There isn’t any equipment left to use” Her response will remain with me for a very long time and I will use it as an example of how not to deal with customer feedback - “So ?” She couldn’t even bother to give me a "so what ?", just “So ?” and with that she walked away.

I was a bit stunned and carried on looking for a wakeboard to use. Failing in my hunt I went to the lady behind the cashiers desk and said I’d like half my 900 baht entry fee refunded because there was no equipment to use thinking that hitting them where it hurt would prompt a response of more than just “So ?”. The “manager’ was dutifully summoned. “I don’t buy the equipment” was her response. 5 times the number of words from our last encounter but still not ideal. "You can rent a board.” The point is I didn’t want to use the jumps and ramps so a “standard” board would have been fine. Also that didn’t solve the problem of no knee boards. Knee boarding is much easier than wake boarding and also it gives your arms a chance to rest. Thankfully a board had now become free along with a knee board, sadly it was the one that filled up with water.

The regular kids were having a great time but of course they either had their own equipment or they amused themselves by just launching on a tow line without any equipment at all. They made it 10 feet, climbed back onto the launch deck and were handed a tow line again ahead of us waiting holiday punters. Some were just floating around in the water in front of the launch area - I wouldn’t have minded but they were floating on the 1 good knee board the site owns !

It’s worth pointing out that they weren’t busy today. This was the day before Songkran and Sonkran starts in the afternoon of the 12th in Phuket (Songkran is the 13th). On a busy day you could potentially not get a single ski due to lack of equipment.

I hate people that come away from somewhere and moan on Tripadvisor without raising their complaint at the time. I went to some lengths to resolve the issue “on the ground" and I was really pleasant making sure I paid compliments first. I wasn’t irate, I didn’t shout or jump up and down, I was pleasant. The response still rings in my ears!

So unless you are a pro staying for the season and bringing your own equipment don’t bother wasting your time and money.

Just on the off chance someone comes on here and makes a management response remember I raised the issue at the time and they really couldn’t care less. By the time they pay the usual lip service of an organisation caught in the glare of Tripadvisor I will have long since returned home 6,000 miles away.

12  Thank Henry901