“Don't be fooled: Although it photographs well, it is a place to be avoided.”

Kalima Resort & Spa
Ranked #57 of 384 Hotels in Kathu
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I am not a blogger but when it came to my experience with Kalima I felt overwhelmingly compelled (especially given how high it is rated).

Summary:
This hotel, is not on the beach (as it claims); is perched on a hill that should be recommended for those training for an Everest summit (did I mention I'm a 26 year old in-shape male); and is run by an incompetent and extremely unfriendly staff (I travel very often, ten country's this year, and these were by far the worst (really saying something by Thai standards, staffs that are known for their friendliness)). Indeed, this is a place to be avoided.

Details:
I booked a five night stay at their "nicest room" (two bedroom private villa and pool about $650 USD a night) based on photos and price. I asked to have their driver meet me at the airport. When I arrived at the airport, no driver: No problem, I'll take a cab. During check-in, the clerk begins with "our driver is waiting for you at the airport, you should have called us, and you have to pay us now for the driver we sent." Never mind the hello and welcome to Thailand etc.

I informed her that I looked for the driver for about 10-15 minutes, didn't see him/her and took a cab...sorry, I'm not going to pay (It is a small airport, not many places to look). I said perhaps, the driver was late, needed to use the restroom, etc. She said that I have to pay because they subcontract. I said fine I'll pay cash, if they give me a credit at the bar for same amount. She was not budging from the position of pay now and seemingly was unwilling to check me in till I paid, and I not wanting to deal with her any longer said put it on my bill.

After checking in, I waited the presummed customary 15 minutes for a driver to take me up the hill (this hill is seriously miserable to walk).

Get to the villa. Entry pond is drained; doors can only be locked form the inside; pool is a foot deep (more of a puddle really); bathroom has no wall and is 96F with no A/C. Bugs are all over the room because...well...the bathroom has no wall! Outside sitting area looks like an unfinished hot tube converted into a subterranean seat with blue gym mats for cushions. Inside walls are dirty and in need of paint.

Decide that I need to cancel the reservation (I paid upfront). Women and manager will not allow me to cancel the reservation. I say fine charge me for tonight and cancel the remainder of the reservation. They say no. I say let me speak to the GM, they say he's on vacation.

I refuse to sign anything, grab my bags and head to another similarly priced hotel which offered the same amenities (private pool two bedroom) and was actually on the beach. The hotel was Moevenpick and was better by far.

Although, I can only frame my experience from someone paying $650 a night and expecting what I paid for, a person paying $100 for a room there may be satisfied...I can't speak to that.

But I will say this hotel is not on the beach, rather it is perched on a hill side across the street from a cliff that overlooks the ocean.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank T W
There are newer reviews for Kalima Resort & Spa

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed in a Seaview room recently for 9 nights. This is the first time while visiting Thailand and especially Phuket that we found the staff of a hotel to be unfriendly and at times purposely looking away from us or looking through us as to avoid any contact or greeting. We were not greeted on arrival and certainly no goodbyes from any staff when we departed. Our room was not ready when we arrived so we waited over an hour when, I then inquired at reception and it was ready for us. We were shown to our room when the receptionist found a light fitting hanging loosely, she quickly got a maintenance man to fix it. As we opened the curtains to look at the most amazing view the curtain track broke and jammed and then fell on to the floor. The room we had has the best view but certainly not a 5 star hotel. Laminex on the furniture was torn and worn, the walls were badly scuffed and the bathroom tiles were smudged badly and the grout was black with mildrew or staining. One of the white bath towels (which are very worn) was covered in black/reddish spots which I discovered only after my shower. The infinity pool is beautiful but far from relaxing as the "House" music starts about 10.30am and thumps all day. The pool area is not big so there is no where to escape the music and the staff were the unfriendliest in the whole hotel. The staff do not approach you for a drink or snack, if you want a drink you have to go to them and the drinks are very expensive. The breakfast is just adequate especially for a Westener. No coffee served, you have to get the coffee pot yourself which we have never experienced anywhere, eggs are cooked and left on the counter and most times quite cold. The breakfast staff stand around in groups chatting while tables are covered in dirty dishes, and their guests ignored. But the worst experience for breakfast was early one morning, 6.30am, before a day out to Phi Phi, we left our room and could hear loud music and got to Malika restaurant for breakfast and the music was so loud, my husband ask if the music could be turned down, it was. The noise continued all day and night, we were in rm 3206, amazing view but right outside the door was the houskeeping closets and the staff would be there quite early talking, laughing and making quite alot of noise filling trolleys with their cleaning products and cartons of water dropped on to the trolleys. This doesn't sound like much but this noise was from 6am to 11pm, house keeping slammed doors continuously, also combined with the carpark at the back of the room, car doors closing, fire alarms being set off during the night, a large conference(conference room above the car park at the back of the room) it was extremely noisy. Overall the noisiest hotel we have ever stayed in. The location of the hotel is fine though the shuttle bus into and from Phuket could be more often then 11am, 2pm and 5pm, if you wish to travel into or out of town out of those times it costs about 300 Baht. Certainly not a 5 star hotel, no alarm clock, poor lighting, worn linen, very noisy and unfriendly staff, we would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms have an amazing view but very noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leanne1364
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We have spent a few nights in Double Pool Honeymoon Suite in Feb 2014. The room is new, spacious, well decorated and has a view over Patong beach. The price (as booked in a last minute from Agoda website) is quite reasonable. The location is good for a short vacation trip. It takes appx 1 hour from Phuket International Airport.

Complimentary breakfast meets our expectation. Dinner menu is, still, quite limited. The staffs are quite helpful and professional.

Ultimately, we are quite happy and have a great time there. We would recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues who would like to visit Phuket.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mai L
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed in the double pool honeymoon suite, nice room, great view, good location. Room service over priced, compared to other resorts close by, breakfast choices are limited for western guests. Staff were pleasant, can't really complain about anything in particular it's just over priced for what you get. Better value for money hotels around.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Jess K
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed here for three nights and while I would like to say it was amazing, it was just...alright. The service is not great at the front desk, they are very impatient. Be cautious of booking online - hidden fees come from every which way and if you're traveling with 3 people, prepare to pay extra (much like the rest of Thailand) even if you reserve the room for three in advance. If you try to fight it, they'll get bored and ignore you. The place is GINORMOUS. We didn't find the mini golf course or "hidden beach" spot (fake sand beach bar...kinda weird) until the last night. If they handed you a map of the place when you checked in, you'd be good to go! They also have karaoke and a rooftop restaurant that is great for sunsets. But I'd recommend hitting the sunset whilst in the infinity pool - easily their biggest asset. Food and drinks are crazy overpriced (welcome to Phuket) but at least it's close to the action but far enough to not be overbearing.

Also, the didn't clean our room for the entire stay and finally tried to come in and clean around 9pm on a Saturday...so that was odd. And, FYI, the only food on the menu worth eating is the grill menu at the pool bar. The rest is subpar.

Room Tip: If you can, splurge for the private pool!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RichardDng
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I would recommend this hotel for someone who is 1) not looking for a beach experience 2) wants to be close to the crazy Patong nightlife, but doesn't actually want to stay right in the heart of it

We decided to stay for 4 nights in one of the rooms that had a private little deck and shared pool access on one of the upper floors. Having the pool definitely made the stay here very enjoyable since we could tan in private on the deck and swim lengths.

The main pool is also a very nice infinity pool that has great views of the sea and the city.

The room was modern and very clean with a comfortable king bed. Had no issues with the room or any details of it.
The food was Ok, nothing to rave about. The main restaurant is worth checking out for a sunset dunner since the views at night are nice.

Beach - there is a public beach a few minute walk and you have to cross the busy street. We did not use it since we ended up hanging out by the pool most of the day.

We rented a scooter and visited the Patong strip occasionally. It's about a 7 minute scooter ride, no big deal. There is a cool beach about 15 minutes away from the city. Just follow the main road and you will see hoard of bikes parked there. Take the steps down and you will be very glad you did!

Staff/Service: No complaints, but nothing that stood out either. The job was done and done properly, but with no special touches really.

Overall we had a good experience here, but this was mainly due to having the private pool area. I'm not sure if I would come back here if I were to visit Patong again, since there is quite a large selection of hotels that are rated well.

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suite is worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LexEva
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This hotel is in a fabulous position, just away from the hustle and bustle of busy Patong , but a short tuk tuk ride to the action centre
First class service , first class room , first class pool and bar

Room Tip: The seaview rooms are well worth the extra stunning views and sunset over Patong Bay
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mull1964
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kathu
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel
U Zenmaya Phuket
U Zenmaya Phuket
#4 of 36 in Kamala

Been to Kalima Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!