“Recommended resort”

Ranked #62 of 378 Hotels in Kathu
wot-napat
“Recommended resort”
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We decided to stay at Kalima as it's seaview, not crowded, and only few minutes drive to Patong beach. Nice infinity pool and restaurant. Bedroom is big and seaview. i love to stay here because this property was match with my purpose. if anyone looking for stay claim and peaceful and not far to patong entertaiment area, i strongly recommend this is a right place to enjoy your holiday.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel located near but not in Patong. Rooms are comfortable and clean. Front desk staff fairly helpful. If only the hotel could provide hourly shuttle to Patong from 6-10pm, it would have been excellent. Currently hotel provides 3 shuttle per day. Breakfast spread quite good.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Pune, India
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My experience starts from 11 AM we reached the hotel , the lady at reception told us ,they cannot check in before 2 PM "its their policy"
Even After repeated requests as we were very tired they did not take it.Finally we checked in at 2 PM as per their Policy
As we had taken an online reservation we did not know about the proximity to the patong beach,its quite far from Patong and they charge 500 THB one side for taking to the beach.
Extremely expensive food , and even after repeated reminders our room was not cleaned for 2 days.
While our check out at 4 AM , we wanted a cab , which the staff disagreed to provide saying we have to reserve in Advance , at the time of bill payment , the receptionist put an accusation that we stole their hair dryer , we got extremely annoyed, we asked them to check the rooms

"AND THEY FINALLY GOT THE HAIR DRYER"

tERRIBLE , EXTREMELY RUDE STAFF...PLEASE AVOID THIS PLACE

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank shreyajain2001
Pakorn N, Manager at Kalima Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Shreyajain2001

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are very sad that made you felt unpleasant with our services to reach your expectations.
Regarding to the hotel check-in problem yes our policy is 2pm. However, at your arrived date we may have a lot of traffic since we normally let the guest check-in if we have available room in make guest happy.

The hotel location 2 km. from the beach access (Patong) resort also provide 3 times shuttle bus to Patong 11.00am 2.00pm and 5.00pm besides that need to take cab approximately 200-300 THB.

For the check-out we do apologized let you down due to our misunderstand and communication.

Finally, I do of course feel sorry that you could not appreciate our services as we always strive to provide good service and make our guests happy

Yours Sincerely,

Pakorn Niyomadul
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2014

1. The service. We were greeted at the hotel by about 10 staff members as we walked in and checked in. The staff were incredibly helpful as we had just arrived and had no money and were having issues with our cards. With very little fuss they showed us to our room and sorted out the finances later on in the day. It was amazing, every staff member would at the drop of a dime assist you with a massive greeting and smile. We were even offered by one of the staff a night out on the town at the conclusion of his shift. Even little things like asking about your preious day and taking your plate away from the insanely amazing buffet as soon as you're done, they're like deadly accurate hawk-like waiters.. Above and beyond.

2. The food. Easily the best thai I've had in thailand or abroad. It wasn't just the thai food though, we thought we'd test the menu out a little and to our amazement even the club sandwich was outstanding. To this day I still cringe every time I have a club sandwich because it's simply not as good.

3. The location wasn't in the heart of Patong, it's about a 10 minute walk, but for us that was ideal. Patong itself was not what we were expecting so having some distance away from the mass of Aussie and UK drunk plebs was amazing. The resort is built into the side of a hill so the view of the ocean was amazing and alot more quiet than the other resorts in town.

4. Sleep I found great being a nice firm bed however my partner doesn't agree.. but I'm writing the review so.. ha.

5. Tours. The staff organised everything for us and was a seamless experience from the pickups to the tours themselves to the drop offs. We experienced amazing things that we will never forget.

6. We booked through Agoda, it was incredibly cheap for what we got, a little over 100AU for our room which was another standout of the hotel.

All in all we spent the majority of the time in the hotel apart from tours because it was simply a far nicer experience than we had anticipated. Ok I have to go back to the food, it's ridiculously good. Better than anything we went to on the street, better than any of the famed Patong resturants. Every time we ate anywhere else we felt cheated out of a Malika (the rooftop resturant) experience.

Negatives - The room had some minor plastering issues which didn't affect the experience at all and I only notice minute details because I build houses. The bed had a ridge in the middle, however it was enormous, probably two queen matresses pushed together. The plumbing had an issue one of the nights when workers on the street burst a main but this was nothing the hotel could avoid and were very apologetic for the inconvenience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jordan_andBer
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I am not a blogger but when it came to my experience with Kalima I felt overwhelmingly compelled (especially given how high it is rated).

Summary:
This hotel, is not on the beach (as it claims); is perched on a hill that should be recommended for those training for an Everest summit (did I mention I'm a 26 year old in-shape male); and is run by an incompetent and extremely unfriendly staff (I travel very often, ten country's this year, and these were by far the worst (really saying something by Thai standards, staffs that are known for their friendliness)). Indeed, this is a place to be avoided.

Details:
I booked a five night stay at their "nicest room" (two bedroom private villa and pool about $650 USD a night) based on photos and price. I asked to have their driver meet me at the airport. When I arrived at the airport, no driver: No problem, I'll take a cab. During check-in, the clerk begins with "our driver is waiting for you at the airport, you should have called us, and you have to pay us now for the driver we sent." Never mind the hello and welcome to Thailand etc.

I informed her that I looked for the driver for about 10-15 minutes, didn't see him/her and took a cab...sorry, I'm not going to pay (It is a small airport, not many places to look). I said perhaps, the driver was late, needed to use the restroom, etc. She said that I have to pay because they subcontract. I said fine I'll pay cash, if they give me a credit at the bar for same amount. She was not budging from the position of pay now and seemingly was unwilling to check me in till I paid, and I not wanting to deal with her any longer said put it on my bill.

After checking in, I waited the presummed customary 15 minutes for a driver to take me up the hill (this hill is seriously miserable to walk).

Get to the villa. Entry pond is drained; doors can only be locked form the inside; pool is a foot deep (more of a puddle really); bathroom has no wall and is 96F with no A/C. Bugs are all over the room because...well...the bathroom has no wall! Outside sitting area looks like an unfinished hot tube converted into a subterranean seat with blue gym mats for cushions. Inside walls are dirty and in need of paint.

Decide that I need to cancel the reservation (I paid upfront). Women and manager will not allow me to cancel the reservation. I say fine charge me for tonight and cancel the remainder of the reservation. They say no. I say let me speak to the GM, they say he's on vacation.

I refuse to sign anything, grab my bags and head to another similarly priced hotel which offered the same amenities (private pool two bedroom) and was actually on the beach. The hotel was Moevenpick and was better by far.

Although, I can only frame my experience from someone paying $650 a night and expecting what I paid for, a person paying $100 for a room there may be satisfied...I can't speak to that.

But I will say this hotel is not on the beach, rather it is perched on a hill side across the street from a cliff that overlooks the ocean.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank T W
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed in a Seaview room recently for 9 nights. This is the first time while visiting Thailand and especially Phuket that we found the staff of a hotel to be unfriendly and at times purposely looking away from us or looking through us as to avoid any contact or greeting. We were not greeted on arrival and certainly no goodbyes from any staff when we departed. Our room was not ready when we arrived so we waited over an hour when, I then inquired at reception and it was ready for us. We were shown to our room when the receptionist found a light fitting hanging loosely, she quickly got a maintenance man to fix it. As we opened the curtains to look at the most amazing view the curtain track broke and jammed and then fell on to the floor. The room we had has the best view but certainly not a 5 star hotel. Laminex on the furniture was torn and worn, the walls were badly scuffed and the bathroom tiles were smudged badly and the grout was black with mildrew or staining. One of the white bath towels (which are very worn) was covered in black/reddish spots which I discovered only after my shower. The infinity pool is beautiful but far from relaxing as the "House" music starts about 10.30am and thumps all day. The pool area is not big so there is no where to escape the music and the staff were the unfriendliest in the whole hotel. The staff do not approach you for a drink or snack, if you want a drink you have to go to them and the drinks are very expensive. The breakfast is just adequate especially for a Westener. No coffee served, you have to get the coffee pot yourself which we have never experienced anywhere, eggs are cooked and left on the counter and most times quite cold. The breakfast staff stand around in groups chatting while tables are covered in dirty dishes, and their guests ignored. But the worst experience for breakfast was early one morning, 6.30am, before a day out to Phi Phi, we left our room and could hear loud music and got to Malika restaurant for breakfast and the music was so loud, my husband ask if the music could be turned down, it was. The noise continued all day and night, we were in rm 3206, amazing view but right outside the door was the houskeeping closets and the staff would be there quite early talking, laughing and making quite alot of noise filling trolleys with their cleaning products and cartons of water dropped on to the trolleys. This doesn't sound like much but this noise was from 6am to 11pm, house keeping slammed doors continuously, also combined with the carpark at the back of the room, car doors closing, fire alarms being set off during the night, a large conference(conference room above the car park at the back of the room) it was extremely noisy. Overall the noisiest hotel we have ever stayed in. The location of the hotel is fine though the shuttle bus into and from Phuket could be more often then 11am, 2pm and 5pm, if you wish to travel into or out of town out of those times it costs about 300 Baht. Certainly not a 5 star hotel, no alarm clock, poor lighting, worn linen, very noisy and unfriendly staff, we would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms have an amazing view but very noisy.