“Great food, lovely cafe, rooms shocking....and i mean shocking.”
Review of Rabieng Rimnum

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Phetchaburi
Rabieng Rimnum
Ranked #9 of 26 Phetchaburi B&B and Inns
Preston, United Kingdom
“Great food, lovely cafe, rooms shocking....and i mean shocking.”
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed in Phetchaburi to break up a journey from north to south. If we ever come this way again, we won't be stopping, either in the town or at this, and i use the term in it's loosest sense, hotel. Not unless I'm being held at gunpoint. Stop for one night however ,we did. Our initial impressions of the place were good. After a great lunch in the excellent cafe, we were shown a room on the ground floor of this teak framed house.

Walking into the accommodation block, we were greeted by 2 settees, both of which were badly ripped open, one appearing to have been slashed several times. 3 bathrooms formed the left hand side of the lobby space.

I should explain at this stage, that we weren't expecting much. At under 300 baht, the rooms were cheap and if I'm being honest, we're more flashpacker than backpackers these days. However, I can honestly say that I've visited several murder scenes, 4 prisons and a Belarussian sewage works (In a professional capacity) that had more ambience than the room were were allocated. Charmless would overstate the drab, dirty looking (Though it smelt ok) bedding thrown over mattresses so thin I could feel every wire in the bed frame. There wasn't a window. The walls and ceiling were heavily stained. A large hole appeared at head height in the wall looking directly into or from the 'bathroom'. I've used the quotation marks deliberately. The burgundy toilet bowl and weedy looking shower competed for space with a large vine growing through the wall.

Everywhere else was full and the bus station had no benches, so stay put we had to. I lasted approx 25 minutes in the windowless room while the roar, and trust me i mean 'ROAR' of traffic outside continued without stopping through the night. I ended up sat in the alleyway outside the rooms where I watched as a man tried to break in to the building at around 3am.

At this point, I should point out that the rooms are off a central lobby space which is open until 7pm after which time the steel barred access gate is locked. This is in a wooden framed house. SERIOUSLY; If you do intend to brave it here, keep your key handy, it's the only thing that could prevent you from burning to death if the place catches fire. It's an overused and somewhat dramatic expression "There's no escape". In this case it's entirely justified.

I almost wept with joy as the bus pulled away from the kerb on the way out. No. Seriously.

Room Tip: Walk out of the alleyway, cross the road and look at the rooms opposite the chemists 20 metres away.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Trampus01

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 13 August 2011

A room at Rabieng costs 120 baht. Thats £2.40. Rooms are basic, what do you expect for that price?
You get a bed, fan and a couple of sockets to charge phone.
Best thing about Rabieng is the Restaurant. A traditional wooden structure overlooking the Phet river. The food is excellent thai fare, try crispy catfish or Sea bass (You need to order this early in the day so the cook can pick up a fresh one!) You can watch huge water monitors on the river whilst your food is prepared. Lots of local Thais use the restaurant, always a good sign!
Rabieng do laundry, motorbike and cycle hire, and can arrange tours to see local wildlife. They have free internet and the owners Nit and Tom are helpful and informative. You even get a free local map when you check-in.
This is a real back-packers haven, its no-frills and a bit rough around the edges but full of genuine charm. I came for a day and stayed for a week! I met people from France, Japan, Korea and Germany whilst here and have fond memories of talking football late into the night with Tom after Nit had gone to bed.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank hoipolloi1878
London
Reviewed 26 February 2010

I believe that this guesthouse has the potential to be pretty good. It has character, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Our double room (240B per night) was small and dark but I would not have minded that if it had been clean! In fact, everything up to about waist height was clean, so the bed and floor were clean, but everything above this height (including the window slats, walls, fans, ceiling, pipes, etc) were covered in a thick layer of dust and grime. A few hours of vigorous cleaning and a fresh coat of paint could have made such a difference to the place!

The other problem was the sheer number of mosquitoes in the toilets/showers. Mosquito nets or coils would at least have shown that the management were trying to do something about the problem. As it was, we took our own coil and spray into the shower and raced against time to get out with as few bites as possible.

No hot water or wifi, but I wouldn’t see this as a problem given the price of the room.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple