“A "Slice of Paradise"”

Price range: US$4 - US$30
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 22 October 2013

After some poor weather over the last few weeks we decided to take a trip to Bon Island (situated just of Rawai - Southern Phuket).

There are many Longtails operating from Rawai (also more distant beaches; Kata, Karon Chalong etc) so barter and you may get a reduction. We paid 800bt return, offset this by going with a group of friends, the price is the same.

Dawn greeted us on arrival at the beach then briefed us on activities and facilities. Having lived here for many years she's very knowledgeable of the area & happy to share information.

GO HERE if you just want to 'get away' - you will not be disappointed.

Bon has a charm of it's own with; cool shady areas, clean amenities (staff remove debris left by previous tides regularly), safe swimming and a Rustic 'no frills' experience.

The food and service was excellent, if you enjoy Som Tum(tam), they have a variation adding Apple & Peanuts, I've never had this before and is now my favourite! We also had Garlic Prawns, Kapow Gai Kai Dow Lat Kow. All supplies are purchased fresh from the markets and brought with her every morning.

DONT GO if you expect; pristine ironed tablecloths, WiFi, Champagne, powerpoint for your laptop or battery charger.

Check tide times access can be difficult on low tides, or call Dawn in advance to check & book, as another reviewer commented "go early" and have the place to yourself for a couple of hours and feel like a Castaway.

1  Thank AoNangDiver

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Decided to go over to Bon Island yesterday, my daughter and I are staying at the Rawai Palm Beach Resort. Walked down to Rawai beach the first long boat operators offered to take us for 1200 baht after a bit of bartering got him down to 800 baht return. We were met by Dawn as we got off the boat, she explained where to swim and what was available. We hired deck chairs for 60 baht each. The water was beautiful, warm and clear, the beach very clean and deserted excect for us, for the first 1 1/2 until a boat load of people turned up mainly to take photo's. There are rock pools to check out and you can walk around to either side of the island. We went to Dawn's restaurant for lunch, the food was delicious. I enjoyed a Pina Colada in a coconut shell and my daughter the same without the alcohol. Had a chat to the delightful dawn before using the clean and adequate toilet facilites then recluctantly heading back to Rawai. A memorable day out on a beautiful tropical island.

1  Thank Loraine C
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I have known Dawn, the owner of Bon island restaurant as a online friend for many years this was the first time we actually met in person and it was a absolute pleasure. We traveled by long tail boat out to the island by long tail boat. Dawn met us on the beach and welcomed us to her special part of paradise. Lunch was perfect very light refreshing healthy dishes. If you have a chance it makes for an excellent day trip.

1  Thank Ludongwei
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Bon Island is truly a Tropical Island Paradise. The Island is situated just off the tip of Southern Phuket - and easily reached by Longtail Boat from Rawai (the trip only takes approx 15 minutes). If you arrive early, you can be lucky enough to have this island paradise all to yourself for a few hours - what a luxury. The beaches and snorkelling are superb - and Dawn who runs Bon Island Restaurant always takes great care of all her Guests. Pina Coladas, served in a Coconut Shell are absolutely delicious, and the extensive food menu, which includes freshly caught fish and prawns etc is excellent. There is plenty of shade under the trees that line the beach - and if you decide to stay until the early evening, the sunset is awesome. I have lived in Phuket for 8 years, and Bon Island still remains my favorite day out.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
1  Thank Sue_Walker
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I would love to know where these people got these pictures from or at least there photographer name because he/she is an artist,,, this place is a dump the toilets use salt water from the ocean and pump all the used goods into the see,, you can see the toilet paper floating after someone takes a dump.
The food is trust me if I say 7th rate then I would be down grading the 7th food places,, the beach is not there, sorry but I was there the French women that owns the place is rude and the staff don't give you any service,,,trust me if your not on a Korean tour group the skip this place.

Dawn_in_Phuket, Owner at Bon Island Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Thank you for your review.
I don't usually respond to reviews whether good or bad as I believe people have the right to like a place or hate a place, but as some of your information is incorrect I would like to clarify.

My name id Dawn, I am English not French and I am the owner of Bon Island Restaurant. Firstly I apologise if you found me rude, I don't remember who you were or the situation but I am sorry.

I took most of the photos myself with my Nokia N82 mobile phone, they are not photoshopped they are the way the phone took them and I am not a professional photographer. If you want to see more photos then take a look at my flickr account: where you will also see photos of Bon Island at low tide which is presumably the time you came. Low tide leaves little swimming area, low tide varies from day to day by about 45 minutes so if you came one week later you would have found things more like the publicity photos. You will also see photos of how our beach changes from season to season and also what it looks like when the rubbish washes in with monsoon waves.

We do not pump any wastes into the sea.

All our food wastes and general rubbish are returned with our boat to the mainland daily and we pay the local council 250Baht per month for the disposal of that. I have a receipt to prove it. I personally take the rubbish to the tip.

Our toilet wastes go into a tank- NOT into the sea.
The blue pipe you saw running from the sea to the back of restaurant is used to pump sea water in to large water storage tanks and if you followed the pipes you would have reached the hillside tank. So you are correct in saying that we use salt water for the toilets. Being a small and rocky island we do not have any fresh water and have to bring small amounts of fresh water from the mainland daily for washing dishes. For cooking we use drinking water.
As for floating tissue this is possibly rubbish floating in with the sea or rubbish blown / washed into the sea from the beach. Tourists do, I am sad to say, also leave sanitary towels / nappies in the sea maybe be accident and we have to collect them and dispose of them ourselves.

Lastly. We are a simple beach side restaurant and do not boast 5 star silver service, we are not a 5 star resort and just to avoid confusion, we are not part of the (ex) Evason Resort.

The tour groups were Chinese not Korean by the way.

Hope this makes things clearer.
Best regards