“Great Great Place”

Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Rawai
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Visited with my wife in January
Excellent suites and a brilliant H2O villa. we stayed here for 3 night and 4 days. The breakfast spread is fantastic and by the sea at that. its a very open and soothing experience on high tide, though the low tide does give a bad aftertaste.
Over all very happy with the place. the bike rental was just outside the hotel and the guest get vehicles from them on goodwill and a good price. The rooms are spacious and well stocked.
Will visit again

Room Tip: to take a villa only when there are more than 3 ppl else its simply wasted. and try taking a suite f...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MalayHarsha
Urs A, General Manager at Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear Malay,
Thank you very much for your review and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Serenity.
Like many other reviewers you are pointing out correctly, that its not possible to swim at our beach during low tide.
This is a general fact for all hotels located on the East coast of Phuket Island and not specific to our resort.
Sincerely, Urs - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We decided to go here for our honeymoon, a decision we didn't regret. We had a Sea View Suite and it was very clean, the suite itself was spacious and provided privacy and an amazing view. The food was excellent as was the service. The morning walks along the coastline,the calmness and the blue green colour of the ocean, the white sand beach, the privacy of your rooms, the evening walks around the resort, the games, the food...everything is worth the money you spend on it.The rooms are clean and cozy. At night, you can just relax near the beach looking at the stars in the sky. A good getaway from the busy city lives.They have excellent services and very friendly staff.Hope to visit this place again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RashVish
Urs A, General Manager at Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear RashVish,
Many thanks for your review and we are happy to learn that you enjoyed your honeymoon at Serenity! I will certainly convey your compliments to our team.
With kind regards, Urs - General Manager

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I just got home from an 8-day stay in Serenity. This is my 3rd time there and again, we stayed in one of the pool residences. I had asked for Rm 805 but it was being upgraded so we stayed in 806 instead. It is a good sign that the management is doing constant upgrading. On the second day of our stay, we were told that the upgrading works in 805 had been completed and the front office offered to have us shifted there. We declined as it would be too troublesome to re-pack and unpack. But the offer was appreciated nonetheless.

Most of the staff there are still very friendly and they all remembered us from our last stay. It was nice to be greeted by the Serenity staff with a cheerful "welcome back". This time, in addition to a nice pen, we also received 2 caps from Serenity, as returning guests. This was also very much appreciated. Like before, the buffet breakfast was good and the variety adequate. Food was also pretty good, with some new items in the menu, including Indian dishes.

I do not understand those reviews that criticise Serenity for its location and for the taxi syndicate that operates there. Anyone who has read these reviews ought to know that the beach there is not a swimming beach, that it is nowhere close to shopping or nightlife and that the resort has little control over the taxi syndicate. If you read the reviews, you will know what to expect and should not be surprised. My family and I specifically chose to stay at Serenity precisely because of it's location and precisely because we can be assured of peace and quiet and serenity.

The goods: the reception staff, the concierge, the housekeeping/chambermaids, the waitresses at East 88 - these staff are all to be commended and they worked tirelessly to keep the guests happy and contented. We appreciate all they have done for us during our stay and hope that the management can convey our thanks to them.

The bads:
1. Some equipment really need to be upgraded or changed. The telephone in the living room that was not working when we last stayed there is still not working. I had to go upstairs to one of the bedrooms whenever I needed to make a call.
2. The ipod docking station keeps turning off on its own, just like what another reviewer had stated.
3. Finally, the worst and most irritating problem - extremely inconsistent room service. My family had in-room dining every single night of our stay, a total of 7 nights. Only on the first night was the table laid out with placemats. On all subsequent nights, this was not done. Also, we would order at least 4-5 dishes (for a family of 4) and sometimes, we would get 4 sets of cutlery and napkins, sometimes 3 and once only 2 sets. The waiter would also come with the bill without a pen for me to sign the bill. And the absolutely most intolerable thing - no one comes to clear up and retrieve the dishes after I am done, even after I call 2-3 times for the dishes to be cleared. I end up with uneaten food in the villa and of course it makes me wonder how many insects/cockcroaches have been feasting on the remains of my room service. This happened every single night after my first night there. So, for 6 consecutive nights, I would call after dinner for the dishes to be picked up and no one comes to clear up. To me, this is a clear sign that something is obviously very wrong.

Finally, one suggestion/request - can the in-room dining menu be enlarged? In-room dining is served by the same kitchen and restaurant East 88. It would be good if guests can order from the restaurant's full menu for in-room dining, rather than a much reduced selection of dishes.

All in all, we will be going back to Serenity next year simply because we love the atmosphere of the resort. However, we do hope that some of the issues raised above can be resolved and that things can improve. Thanks for reading my review.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank htkl

Thank you so much for staying at Serenity for a third time and for your continuous support!

I would like to apologize for the inconsistency with our room service and have discussed this with our F&B Manager in order to rectify this issue.

The telephone in the living room of the pool residence has now been changed. The problem there was that they forgot to build-in a telephone outlet in the wall of the villa when Serenity was built and we had to rely on those WiFi phones until we were able to come up with a better telephone solution.

We checked the Ipod docking station and will replace it within the coming days so that it can accommodate the newest Iphone model reliably.

Once again, we thank you for your continued support and remain,

Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

I knew before booking this hotel that the beach is not much of a beach. If crowds and partying is what you are looking for then this hotel is not for you.

It's a quiet and serene, tucked away from the huzzle-buzzle of the heavily commercialised Patong or Kata beach.

Our room was spacious and well appointed. The paths and greens are well kept. Though the lighting on the path (steps) from the reception to the rooms can be improved on. The upright beaming lights is blinding and obstructs night vision.

I agree with other reviewers - the taxis outside the hotel are PIRATES. Given the location of the hotel, I'm sure the hotel management can do something about this IF THEY WANT TO. Like providing regular hotel transport or specifying non-exhorbitant taxi rates to compliant external service providers.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thanks very much for your review and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at Serenity.
Regrettably, we do not have any influence on how much the local people charge for taxi services around Phuket. This is an island-wide problem and not an issue specific to Serenity and has been widely reported on the internet and in the local media.

We do, however, offer one free daily shuttle bus to Nai Harn Beach and one free daily shuttle bus to Central shopping center and to Patong beach so that our guests can safe on taxi fares.
There are 10 seats available in each bus and seats are allocated on a first come first serve basis or upon advance reservations.

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

I am currently at Serenity resort pool residences and it's my 5th out of 8 days here, so I've decided to write the review.

Positives:

•provision of bottled of water and cold towels in the van to take you to the resort, and this makes your feel welcomed
•staff are very nice and friendly and do their best to help you during your stay
•people on TA complain about the location and that Serenity is very isolated. But this is the reason I like the resort, because it's quiet and relaxing :)
•rental of movies and books at the lobby which is good for rainy days
•furniture, decor and pool/pools are very nice
•nice beach
•provision of the insect repellent, because there are Mosquitos around
•resort is very clean
•food is good, and a nice variety of food at the breakfast buffet

Negative points:

•the air conditioning is noisy sometimes, but only in the living room area
•there was a time when the jacuzzi jets couldn't be turned off, so staff had to be called to fix it, and it was fixed
•room service was not cleared all the time except for one night, even when a call was made to the staff. It was only cleared the next time room device was ordered, or when yet another call was made.

Nonetheless, the negatives weren't really a problem, just minor issues. I still had a really good stay (I can safely say this is my favorite resort), and I'll be back :)

Stayed: November 2013
Urs A, General Manager at Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you very much for your review and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at Serenity.
We apologize that our room service team forgot to clear the dishes left in front of your room door and i will certainly discuss this with our team here.
With kind regards, Urs - General Manager

Reviewed 13 December 2013

How did this place get 4.5 stars? Well, if you walk around Rawai/Phuket, you will find that almost ALL businesses have 4.5 stars on Tripadvisor. So it's nothing special. And neither is this place.

The location is completely isolated, so you are completely at the mercy of the Phuket taxi mafia which charges up to 8x the Bangkok rates. You have nowhere to walk, the beach totally sucks (more of a dirty mudflat). The bar and the restaurant are mediocre. The cook can't even make good Thai food, and my dog pukes up better looking liquids than the barkeeper's cocktails. Possibly better tasting too.

The isolation COULD be a good thing -- IF the food/drinks/beach is good. But the place fails on all three counts and so it feels like you're stuck in the boonies for three days. A very expensive boonie.

The only way to get any kind of management response is to tell them you're leaving early. They'll ding you with a penalty (one full day's charges), but that's worth paying just to get out of this mediocre place. That's how bad it is. It's worth it to pay them just to leave early.

There are MUCH better options in Phuket. I ended up going to Le Meridien Phuket. Wow, I should have just booked there in the first place. And no, I don't work there or have anything to do with them; I had a good impression of them when I had their buffet in Bangkok, and after a couple of days I couldn't stand Serenity anymore and moved on.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Robert L

Dear Robert, thanks for your second attempt to review our resort.
Your first review was deleted by TripAdvisor as it was completely out of line, so well done this time!
Before we come to the more amusing parts of your review, we would like to comment on a few facts:

1. The Beach
You moan that its not possible to swim in the sea in front of Serenity during low tide, which is correct. This is mentioned twice on our website and its also mentioned in many reviews of our resort on the internet, so you should have know before confirming your reservation.
It is, however, not true that the beach stinks. The sea bed is exposed during low tide, which is the case for all hotels located on the East coast of Phuket and not specific to Serenity.

2. Taxi Prices in Phuket
You also complain that its too expensive to travel by taxi from Serenity to other parts of the island. Once again, nobody of our team has any influence on how much the local taxi operators charge for trips around Phuket and we are not involved in any of the local taxi operators business. Yes, taxis are a lot more expensive in Phuket than in Bangkok for example, but we dont see a possibility how we could have an influence on taxi fares in Phuket. When you stayed at Le Meridien, you also had to rely on local taxis to get out of the resort and the taxi fares there are not cheaper than the ones charged at Rawai beach.
We offer one daily free shuttle bus with 10 seats to Nai Harn Beach and one bus to Patong Beach for our guests, which gives our guests the possibility to save on taxi costs. Seats in the bus are allocated on a first come, first serve basis or upon advance reservation.

3. The Food
You complained to our duty manager that the food was too salty and that there was no Thai food on the buffet on Thursday night. We would have been happy to prepare less salty food for you and you could have ordered Thai food from the a la carte menu if you had wished to do so.
Our Thursday buffet is a BBQ and there is no Thai food on this buffet. We offer a Thai buffet on Tuesdays. Once again, Thai food is always available on our a la carte menu for guests, who wish to enjoy Thai food every night. Nobody is forced to eat the buffet.

Now to the more amusing points mentioned in your review:
1. Please send us the CV of your dog so that he can apply for a job at our resort, since he seems to be able to produce better food and cocktails than our restaurant and kitchen staff.

2. We completely trust you that you do not work at Le Meridien but we have absolutely no idea why you are holding grudges against our hotel and our team based on the issues that you brought up during your stay.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

My room was very comfortable. Great bed. It didn't have a view, but much of my time was spent by the pool with a lovely view of the beach. The downside is the location. The beach is not a nice swimming beach and there is very little within walking distance. This is a great hotel for sitting by the pool, but if you want something more you need to hire a car as I did (I believe there is a shuttle bus a few times a day to Rawai town). The staff were very friendly and helpful. The massage in the hotel was expensive but good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Thank you very much for your review and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Serenity!
As you point out correctly, we are located in a more quiet spot of Phuket Island and provide a daily shuttle to Patong Beach (once per day, limited seats available) and a daily shuttle to Nai Harn Beach (once per day, limited seats available) for guests wishing to explore other parts of the island.
Sincerely, Urs - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rawai
The Vijitt Resort Phuket
#66 of 387 in Kathu
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
#2 of 11 in Karon Beach

Been to Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket? Share your experiences!