“Wonderful!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rawai
Atsumi Retreat Healing Center
Ranked #8 of 92 Speciality Lodging in Rawai
HK
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I can't say enough good things about Atsumi.

The fasting consultants are incredibly knowledgeable, and truly care about your well-being and how your fast is going. The customer service team is friendly and helpful, nothing seems to be too much trouble for them. And the colema girls are an absolute delight, so charming and lovely.

The grounds are beautifully maintained, peaceful and tranquil (bar the nearby construction site, which isn't too noisy, though certainly can be heard from certain parts of the retreat), and are dotted with little huts to read books in and chill out, the accommodation (I stayed in Bamboo House) is clean, comfortable and modern Thai in style, and the colema rooms are immaculate.

I've been twice this year and have loved every minute there, no matter how tough I was finding my fast. I may go back a third time..... I'm determined to look as healthy as Sophie (fasting consultant) does one day!

Wonderful place, wonderful people.

Room Tip: Bamboo House rooms get light as soon as the sun comes up, so don't forget your eye mask if you w...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Melinda H
Sophie C, Responsable relations clients at Atsumi Retreat Healing Center, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear Melinda,

How lovely of you to write such a wonderful review.

We love welcoming returning guests back to Atsumi and we thank you for the loyalty and commitment that you have for our program and retreat.

We're really happy that you had such a great time. And as you could notice every fast experience is different. Your first fast was a little bit tough for you at the beginning but how great you looked at the end of your stay. Your second one you were so full of energy all the time :-) and you know what ? You looked really HEALTHY and I love to see my guests leaving with such a positive energy and looking so good like you were.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you a third time :-)

Wishing you all the best and see you soon.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect on my 20 day detox holiday, having never done anything like it before. After a lot of internet research, I chose Atsumi. I did a 3 day raw fast on arrival followed by a 10 day full fast and 7 days on raw. While it was definitely not easy (for me) and I struggled over the course of my stay, I can honestly look back and say it was the best thing I could have done for myself and my health. The grounds are lush and tranquil, the staff absolutely fantastic (this includes everyone - from the owner, the fasting consultants, the office staff, the groundsmen, the colema girls, the kitchen, the massage therapists and the outside consultants), the overall program comprehensive and the raw food delicious (I would never have thought fruit and vegetables could be so good and satisfying on their own). The rooms are not luxurious but they are perfectly comfortable. As other guests have said, nothing is too much trouble regardless of your request and you never have to ask twice for something. The staff at Atsumi all understand what you are going through and this supportive attitude makes all the difference as they help you get through it. I lost close to 7kgs, met some lovely people from all over the world, learnt some good tips and reminded myself how to eat and live more mindfully. I have continued to try and eat more raw food and so far, no red meat. I confess I'm back on the coffee though! I will definitely be back (although not for such a long trip - 10 days eating fresh air and psyllium will do me!!) Thank you so much to Anna, Sarah, Gerry, Sophie, Freddie, Toh, the colema girls and everyone else I haven't mentioned by name. I have recommended you to everyone who can see what a difference you have made to my heath! xx

Room Tip: I stayed in Bamboo House - the rooms are spacious and clean. It's a short walk to the reception...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank rachael t
Dear R.

Thank you so much for your review.

We are really happy that you chose to come to Atsumi and that our location, the services that we delivered and every aspect of our retreat met your expectations. As you mentioned, the fasting path can be hard sometimes but what a great feeling of achievement at the end your stay and to feel so healthy and full of energy. We wish you continued success and we look forward to seeing you again next year.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I had done some research on finding a detox center in Thailand and believe I made the right choice. Set in a quiet area (with the exception of construction next door, which is short term), the surroundings are beautiful and serene. I stayed in the Yellow House and my balcony faced the mountains with the Big Buddha..... always a beautiful site to see in the mornings. A negative would be the water pressure in the bathroom, otherwise the room is nice, comfortable and quite spacious. I especially liked the balcony sitting for reading and peace of mind. The pool is nice but needs to be refurbished as I did scratch up my feet a couple of times.

The retreat itself is inviting, full of positive energy, with a kind and caring staff. They go out of their way to assist you with anything you may need in the way of appointment services with Dr's, dentists and such. I dive and they were more than helpful to connect me with a dive master to set up an outing. It seems there is nothing to big or small that they can't assist with.

I am not an experienced faster and in fact had no prior experience so I had no idea what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised with the level of encouragement, support and education regarding the detox process. I did a full 10 day fast and found the process not too difficult. There are many things to do to occupy your time and in fact found myself bouncing from one thing to the next. I would encourage anyone to take their time and to remember this is your process. The colema rooms are clean and I felt confident in the level of cleanliness and assurance regarding disinfecting of the rooms. The colema girls are wonderful and always greeted one with a smile; important when dealing with such a privacy issue. During my process I lost 12 lbs and although that was not my focus for doing a detox, it was nice to have the extra weight off. I felt good at the end, refreshed and rejuvenated. I definitely will do this again and will return to Atsumi.

Thank you to everyone at Atsumi for a wonderful experience.

Namaste'

Desiree

Room Tip: If available I would select the Villas as they are at the center of the retreat and the same price a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank dddh23
Dear DDD
A sincere thank you for taking the time to review us :-). It really makes our job worth while when we read such a complimentary review. We do our best to please our guests and support them in this big fasting adventure. Stay healthy and see you next year ! Kind regards
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Atsumi is a truly special place. Go with an open mind and expect to be warmed and delighted by a lovely, tranquil setting and warm, passionate, genuine and caring staff—not to mention, of course, a carefully monitored and well-supported detox program. I have visited similar retreats, and I could not have picked a more tranquil, supportive environment to cleanse and unwind. In total I spent three weeks at Atsumi and not only did I exceed my health goals, I got a very good sense of this wonderful spot and lovely people.

Here is a brief description of what you will find upon arriving:
The Atsumi grounds are located in a quiet, safe residential neighbourhood. The main reception area, villas, massage and treatment huts, pool and all other amenities are all located in a stunning, well-maintained, lush tropical garden. Upon entering, you feel immediately at peace, surrounded by nature and smiling staff. The other accommodations (Buddha House, Yellow house and Bamboo House) are down-road a bit—not much of a walk at all (between 100 and 300 metres or 1-3 minutes) but it is removed from the main grounds in the sense that you are surrounded by a quiet, residential Rawai neighbourhood, and not Atsumi amenities or guests. The plus to this is that you are immersed in some Thai culture and it feels less touristy. The downside is you feel a bit removed from goings-on and if you don’t remember to bring everything you need for the day, you’ll end up making lots of little trips. If you feel particularly low during your fast, you’ll end up just holing up in your room and my find it difficult to trudge over, even though it really is very close. It is nicer to stay in the heart of things if you can afford it, but absolutely still a wonderful experience to stay offsite.

More about accommodations:
You have a choice between lovely villas, which are right on the property but more expensive, or other accommodations offsite. I stayed in Buddha House for my first week and then a Villa for my second. I understand Yellow House, the furthest away, is also the most modern and upscale with a private pool, and that Bamboo House is lovely too. At first I stayed in the Buddha house, which was an economical option, in the upstairs guest suite. It was perfect with everything you need: king bed, A/C, wifi, shared bath/shower with warm water, shared living room with TV/DVD, shared kitchen with sink and fridge, and a couple little patios/balconies. The only let-down was a lack of view (facing people’s backyards) but otherwise it was great. The non-suite rooms downstairs are very inexpensive but are quite small and cramped. The villas on the main grounds are lovely—so charming and full of character and truly beckon relaxation and peace. They are not modern at all, and the bathrooms/kitchens could use updating, but the buildings are comfortable, tranquil and charming set in the middle of beautiful gardens with all activities and amenities (yoga, pool, office, gym, sauna, colema area massage huts, juice bar) at your doorstep.

On the program:
If you are looking for a natural retreat for cleansing, detoxing and colon cleansing in particular, their program is the most supportive program I've found. Their well-planned and thorough programs are thoughtful and keep you busy and engaged--lots of optional activities and opportunities to do as much or as little as you'd like to incorporate in your time (like yoga, meditation, beach time, temple and market trips, hikes, salsa, aquafit, massage, strength-training) letting you engage at whatever level you're comfortable and be as independent (read: grumpy in your room with Netflix) or as supported and social as you'd like (I found this changed for me on a day-to-day basis!). The staff are patient, caring, and are willing to work with you and whatever your needs are. They make it easy, tranquil and pleasant (even the colema areas are pleasant--well, the staff are delightful. The "facilities" are hygienic and and private, which is, I suppose, all one can ask of such a thing!) From the massage therapists, reception, instructors, cleaners, cafe and office staff, owner Anna and cleansing consultants/manager, you will find everyone friendly, caring, fun-loving and accommodating.

As an example, I came to Atsumi with a pre-existing disc issue in my back, and while there I suffered from disc herniation and had to go to hospital (my own fault--I was in denial about my physical limitations). Several staff and guests came to my room right away and waited with me for the ambulance, and then manager Sophie not only came with me to the hospital, but insisted on spending the NIGHT with me on the couch in my room to make sure I got the care I needed. Talk about above and beyond--this is just the type of warm and caring community fostered at Atsumi. Sophie then checked in with me more than once a day for the four days I was there, visited with owner Anna on my second day, arranged for travel back to the resort when I was well, reimbursed me for the program days I was gone, and gave me a discount on villa accommodation so I could be closer to the office in while I finished healing. They also drove to another town to find me a vegan pro-biotic for my detox when fasting consultant Sarah realized the pro-biotic they use for the program has small amounts of dairy. I certainly had some special needs during my trip, and they never made me feel even a little cumbersome and were always gracious. Other guests also reported feeling similarly accommodated and pleased with their "above-and-beyond" approach to hospitality.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with my experience with Atsumi. It's not a 5-star, sterile, pretentious sort of place, which may be what some folks are looking for (and will pay much more for!). But its serene, lush grounds, supportive and engaging program, warm and friendly staff, and excellent approach to guest services are just what I needed and just what the doctor ordered.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, chose the garden villas as they're lovely and charming and so much more co...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LSandiego
Dear L.

What a detailed and beautiful feedback on Atsumi, our staff, the surroundings, the organization, etc. THANK YOU SO MUCH ! We are so proud.

Our goal is to match the needs of every guest and to make them happy :-)

We hope that your back is getting better and we look forward to seeing you next year... but please no hospital this time ;-))))))

Take good care of you.

Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

If you are looking for a vacation resort this is not the place, if you are looking to do a detox program and improve your health this is the place.

I went with my brother for a nine day program in August. This was my second visit and his first. We both did the full fast program for 9 days. Judging by the results of other people the full fast gives you allot more benefit than the juice or raw program.

Honestly this is not a fun process but then this was not a vacation but a time for us to improve our health, loose weight and rid our bodies of some of the toxins. The staff is supportive and helpful but you need some will too. There is allot of positive energy to help you get through if you have the will.

The gardens are beautiful. I was last here two years ago and there have been allot of improvements.

We stayed in the yellow house. The rooms were clean, functional and most importantly a good firm mattress. My only complain was the bathtub/shower, the shower head was lower than my head and the bottom of the tub very soft and cracked. I thought I might fall through. The pool was nice but the needs to be refinished, the pool liner is cracked and coming apart. This is not five star but then again this not a vacation, comfortable, clean and good room service.

Overall a great experience and I will be back next year. I lost 7kg, my skin improved and once I was eating again more energy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank keith s
Sophie C, Guest Relations Manager at Atsumi Retreat Healing Center, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us. You are right, fasting may not be the "funniest" vacation. You can have up and down during your fast. but as you mention, the result is worth it :-) With your brother, you have made a beautiful gift to your body. And it was a real pleasure for us to see how great you looked with your brother day by day. You did such a great work ! and you were always smiling, open to share your experience with the other guests.
Thank you to both of you and see you next year ! Best wishes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Finally, FINALLY!!!! After searching for the perfect health retreat for the last 10 years, I found it... it's name is Atsumi. Due to a painful rheumatic disease that I have, my wife and I have periodically checked ourselves into this kind of detox/fast program over the years. We have done fasts and alternative health programs in India, Thailand, Portugal and the Czech Republic. We have gone from the super-cheap (India) to the over-the-top-expensive (Portugal). I think it's safe to say we have a fairly good idea of the alternative health landscape out there (for people on a somewhat of a budget) and, with that in mind, I say with confidence: Atsumi is by far the best.

First of all, I'd like to talk about the fasting program. Most of my fellow guests were there for a 7-14 day full fast or a 4-7 day raw fast. My wife and I were there for 21 days (yes, extreme, but so worth it), so we did it all: juice fast, full-fast, raw fast. I started on the juice fast and quickly transitioned to the full-fast for a week and then went back to the juice fast and ended (the last 4 days) on a raw fast. This shows my favorite thing about Atsumi: the flexibility in the program. We never know how our bodies are going to respond to fasting- so this flexibility is built into the Atsumi program and seems to be the foundation of their philosophy. The full-fast is too much? No problem, let's put you on the juice fast... now. The fasting counselors, Sophie, Gerry, Sarah and Nam were fantastically supportive, patient and knowledgeable about the process. I can't say enough good things about them- truly wonderful people.

Another important thing that stands out for me are Atsumi's colema rooms. They are kept clean by a very dedicated, friendly staff. You do your business there, clean up best you can and leave with a peace of mind knowing that your colema room will be disinfected as soon as you leave (that also applies when you enter the colema room). This is the biggest difference between Atsumi and the other fasting programs I've done in the past. In India, they usedhydrotherapy machines, with a technician, to clean out your pooper. Hydrotherapy machines are fine... except in India they had TWO OF THEM IN ONE ROOM... which meant you were being cleaned out at the same time as another patient!!! This does NOT happen at Atsumi... full 100% privacy (I find colema boards to be more effective than hydrotherapy machines anyway). At another fasting retreat in Thailand they put the colema board in the bathroom of your room... disgusting. Not only do you have to clean it up yourself but, if you're traveling with someone, then you have to share the" colema quarters"... which also act as your normal bathroom/shower.... again: disgusting... who wants THAT in their hotel room???? As you can see, Atsumi does it right. Now, get this, because of my rheumatic disease I have a very bad back which makes lying down and getting up off a colema board very tricky (next to impossible). I mentioned this to Gerry (one of the fasting counselors) and within 48 hours she had taken my problem to Anna (the owner- super nice lady) who quickly got her brother to install a chain and handle that hung from the ceiling to help me lower myself and lift myself off the colema board (see my one photo). I can't tell you how grateful I am to Atsumi for this kind gesture... it really made all the difference.

The accommodation was by far the most comfortable we've ever experienced at one of these retreats. We stayed in the villas by the reception area. The beds were very comfortable (important when you go through a healing crisis since that's where you're going to spend at least 24 hours). The WiFi worked better than any other hotel we stayed in in Asia. The shower...well... I think they could work on getting better water pressure (my one "complaint"). Guests who stayed in the other quarters (down the road) had different opinions, but most of the complaints were about the walk (which, when you're fasting full-on, could be an issue). I remember at one morning meeting one person complained about the hard pillows. Then the other guests agreed. By the end of the day, everyone who had a problem with their hard pillows had soft pillows delivered to their rooms. That's Atsumi.

There is so much more I could write about, but I think this covers some of the important things that I wanted to know when researching Atsumi last May. I hope my input combined with the other reviews, helps others with their decision. All in all, I would highly recommend Atsumi to anyone who was serious about fasting for health. The next time it will be Atsumi for me... and the next time... and the next... like I said, my search is over!

Room Tip: If you have problems walking or get sick easily from a fast, then I would suggest the villas next to...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlvaGrg
Sophie C, Guest Relations Manager at Atsumi Retreat Healing Center, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear M.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your very lovely review and the photo you have added of Atsumi.

It is indeed so gratifying to read your so positive comments and the good words you have for Atsumi. We really appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience at Atsumi. We feel so proud and grateful.

It was great to follow your evolution during your fast. I often share your experience to explain to the new guests the benefits of fasting. You were the Proof that fasting can improve so much your health. It would be fantastic to welcome back you with your wife soon again.

Thank you once more and see you soon !
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

My boyfriend and I got the thaiatsu massage here. The price was reasonable (1000 baht) per person and the massage was over an hour. The entire place is so relaxing and there is just something about the place that is so pleasant, enjoyable and relaxing. Both my boyfriend and I really enjoyed our massages, and the masseuse was a tiny Thai lady with incredible strength! We had our massages done separately and at different times, however, we were not looking for a romantic massage. Also on the website it states that this is a therapeutic massage, and it definitely delivers. Great place, highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rawai
Navatara Phuket Resort
The LifeCo Phuket Well-Being Detox Center
Phu NaNa Boutique Hotel
The Vijitt Resort Phuket
Amatara Wellness Resort
Amatara Wellness Resort
#3 of 13 in Cape Panwa
Friendship Beach Resort & Atmanjai Wellness Centre

Been to Atsumi Retreat Healing Center? Share your experiences!