“Mixed Bag”

Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Rawai
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Our stay a Mangosteen was memorable for different reasons.
1. The pool area was fabulous and many an evening was spent loungeing by the pool with family and new friends we had made over the 7 days spent at the hotel.. Happy hour is at hotel rates so buy one get one free doesnt really apply, as the beer at the local bars are half the price. although is will say the svc from Mon and the team at the pool bar was great.
2. We had prepaid for breakfast for the whole week, Toast, Cereal and fresh fruit and juice were all smorgesboard style, Once seated you ordered your hot breakfast, the eggs were always perfect no matter which style you chose .. complements to the chef.
3. The side road to Mangosteen is in attrocious condition and you definately need a torch to navigate the potholes at night. This maybe a council problem as the driveway to Mangosteen was concreted although very steep to walk up.
4. We frequently ate at The Stoned Crab (approx 10-15min walk into the town) a lovely family bar and the food is to die for...This bar comes highly recommended.
5. We had a Garden Jacuzzi room. The room was good. The small TV was really old, a larger flatscreen on the wall would make all the difference. The Jacuzzi took for ever to fill and the shower handset was broken, but Loved the outdoor rain shower.
6. Friends stayed in the Royal Jacuzzi Room 302/303 ? which had some rotten floor boards and both phones fell apart...not a good look.
7.It cost us 500 baht to get a taxi called to the hotel, and only 200 baht to get one back to the hotel from the same dropoff point ... not sure who's pocketing the difference ?? walk down to the taxi stand at the end of the driveway.
I've stayed in 4star hotels and sadly this isn't one of them. I would rate this hotel a 3star at best. With a few changes this hotel could be a winner.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
14  Thank Smowki

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We enjoyed this resort , there was no sales talk , the service was good , the staff friendly , the food excellent especially the 'five asia night '. If we would change things it would be to be closer to a shopping centre or something so you could go for a walk. The pool was great, the free massage very good , the driver on the shuttle bus friendly and helpful , the food and beverage manager informative and the Danish chef a delight to talk about his travels.
So overall Mangosteen is hard to fault .

3  Thank dropshot37
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We purchased our stay via Groupon and absolutely loved it. The pool area is beautiful, very relaxing, and the pool itself is a very large salt water free form pool with a deep "deep end" (approx 2.8 meters deep) which we loved. We were greeted by Edz and found him to be extremely helpful, happy and efficient. The breakfast was fantastic and would recommend buying the option. All the Thai staff are very friendly and accommodating and speak basic English. Driving into the resort, which is in a secluded location with awesome views, is a little off putting as the lead in road is in a bad state of repair, but it's a very short trip to the main gate in the car. The free Shuttle services are great and run very close to schedule. The beach is gorgeous and only approx 10 mins away in the shuttle. Our room was very clean, spacious with great views and we found the (extremely large) bed very comfy. The owner came to chat with all guests at one of the dinners that was held during our stay -he seemed pretty genuine and we thought it was a nice touch. I have two negatives;
1/. You will spend approx 2-3 hours on one of your days having the benefits of buying time share through the hotel explained to you by very friendly but very salesy English guys.
2/. All of the other guests that we spoke too (5 other couples) all felt scammed as when they went to book their groupons, the room that was purchased in the groupon, wasn't available - which lead to a purchased room upgrade. I think this is too coincidental to be the truth - especially as we were there outside peak times and the Thai staff advised that the resort was at half capacity during our stay. That having been said - even with the upgrade - still a cheap holiday!

• Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank Geewiggs169
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at the Mangosteen Resort over New Year's last year with my mom and sister. We were looking for a beautiful and relaxing resort to spend our holiday and we certainly found a great one. We felt pampered from the moment we checked in and were given cool towels and homemade flower tea. We spent most of our limited time lounging by the freshwater infinity pool and sipping tropical cocktails from the swim up bar. I particularly enjoyed relaxing in our bungalow hammock, which happened to have a spectacular view of the bay.

The New Year's festivities were beyond our expectations and a good fit for a mother and daughters. We loved the buffet, which included a variety of Thai and Western food and of course Mangosteen fruit! The evening also included giveaways, dancing and fun contests. The evening climaxed with the midnight countdown and glittery fireworks over the bay. The staff put on an amazing party and I highly recommend it in place of the drink-all-you-can parties down at Patong.

My only complaint is that I wasn't able to experience the spa as its popularity led it to be completely booked during my stay.

Overall, we had a great time at the Mangosteen and I know we'll look back on our time there for years to come! Who know, maybe I'll come back to finally test out the spa! I definitely recommend for girlfriend getaways and mother-daughter vacations.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Hello everyone. Before I even start with my review,  I already expect to be answered with all the rudeness previously shown here on other review responses.
Good news first, the place itself was beautiful.  The swimming pool is gorgeous, the rooms ( first deluxe jacuzzi and then superior jacuzzi) were spacious, clean, all the amenities were working...except that the advertised cable t.v. was actually very few channels, mostly in Thai. But we enjoyed the DVDs instead. Wonderful massages. Staff for the most part was friendly. BUT WE WOULD NEVER GO BACK THERE AGAIN.
Here's why:  Before we even got to the resort we were extremely put off by the incredibly unprofessional and rude responses by the Owner on Trip Advisor. Not letting that upset us, we continued as planned and decided to go to the free yoga class, and as it was raining, the instructor took us to a room above the reception. The class had around 8 people, and throughout the class a couple men were having breakfast outside of our room (which was destracting but not a problem), walking in and out of the doors multiple times,  and worst of all smoking while we were all trying to take long and deep breaths as you do in yoga. At the end of the class my girlfriend, thinking that they were other guests, kindly asked them to be aware of  smoking where we were trying to get some fresh air. The guys, especially Mr. Richard, immediately got defensive and said: "we actually work here and we let the yoga use this room. This is our office." The other guy apologized over his breakfast without sincerity, plus Richard asked us if we had bought through Groupon (sounded like he was calling us cheap).  We thanked them for the use of space, but they continued to brush off the minor complaint. We decided to forget it, but when we were going back the stairs my girlfriend heard one of them say " unbelievable".
When we got back to our room, we were furious and upset with the attitude of the apparent management, and my girlfriend was crying, so I decided to go back and clear things up. When I got upstairs to talk to Richard about what had happened,  he lost his temper immediately and was really aggressive ( he was slamming his desk every 5 sec ) and said among other things: "you have balls coming here to talk to me!"
All I had said was that if he had to use the office,  why would you he let people use it? I also asked why they said "unbelievable" after we turned back and he said: "We were talking about the hot blonde girl in your class!" Because management checking out guests isn't an uncomfortable thought at all...
He wouldn't back off until I told him that other people in our class were also annoyed by the constant disruptions and smoking. He stood up saying I was already taking too much of his time and wanted to go after the other people to verify that they were also annoyed. I said I had enough,  I didn't want to embarrass anyone, and I was going to my room. Finally he apologized for the inconvenience, shook my hand and that was it.
We just felt like that the resort would have been perfect for our first year anniversary, but thanks to the management it was not.
To the management: use your customer's comments to improve and learn! In addition, if you're so concerned with people being "cheap" ( even though we upgraded rooms AND were planning on booking the wine cellar dinner for our anniversary), it's probably not a great idea to advertise to Groupon.  This unprofessionalism and condescending rudeness will not be tolerated by many more guests.
Have a good day!

• Stayed: October 2013
19  Thank PollyAnne07
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Firstly, to save anyone from reading the entire review, if asked the question: Would you recommend this hotel to a friend? I would answer no.

This is why.
When we arrived there was nobody to bring our bags up the stairs. During our stay i witnessed this happen to a few others. There is no consistency at the front desk.
I would have to say they were the worst front desk staff I have ever come across. Especially Natalie..space cadet.
The staff spend about 20min checking you in, sitting you down and up-selling. Don't get me wrong...I wanted to do tours and I participated in cooking classes etc...but give me the newsletter and invite me back to do this once i have checked in. Speaking to other hotel guests they felt the same.
The bathroom was sooooooo dirty in our first room. The TV didn't work properly and was so small you couldn't even see anything on it and the arms of the couches fall off so you can't use it to relax on. (nearly every review says this so perhaps management could use this information to improve facilities rather than just responding rudely to their posts)
The room was ok other than that. Pretty nice actually, there a just a few things that ruin it that could be easily fixed.
Our Second room - The Royal Jacuzzi Villa was beautiful. We wish we stayed in it from the start. Bathroom was clean, we could actually see the TV and the room was actually quite lovely.

The restaurant was great. It is like it is owned by someone else. It is worlds apart from the front desk service. Rod the Food and Beverage manager takes so much pride in his work space that you would think he owns it. All the staff are great, and food is great. Loved it.

Spa was great. Very nice services. I would rate them about an 8. All the trimmings you would expect from a spa, Tea on arrival etc. I have had better but it was still very very nice. A little more expensive than anywhere else but it is worth it if you want to chill around your room and have an easy day. The Ayurveda Dr was great and fixed my partners ear when he couldn't hear and was water logged. It was actually a fantastic service by him.

So the spa and restaurant are great all in all.

When you sit down for breakfast there is always about 3 English guys talking really loudly selling hotel memberships/timeshare (whatever you want to call it). You just watch these poor couples sitting there and then you hear them talking about how they can get out of the meeting when the English man walks away. Then in the afternoon they sit around the pool "relationship building" with the guest.
This actually creates the most strange vibe, like you are at some sales meeting the entire time you are there. It completely destroys the peace you hoped for on your holiday.
These guys work there every day, You hear them all day, talking loudly and you constantly hope they will not speak to you.
It is not a nice feeling to have on your holiday.
I think they left us alone because we were there on a week of timeshare that was gifted to us. I think they believed we already had timeshare so they left us alone. But they pounced on every new person that checked in.
As I said. DESTROYS the vibe of your holiday.
Beware if one of them invites you to breakfast or asks you if you have had your "free drink or hotel tour"

We got online to check reviews while we were away and read all of the negative rude responses to reviews from management. They have obviously never had customer service training, or marketing training. Having managed sites like this before, the first thing you learn is that management responses are what people read, so i beg you to read the responses of this rude cocky management here on trip advisor to see just what an establishment you are planning on staying in.

BAD VIBE.
Shame....as my partner and I said, it is a real shame, close but no cigar.

Room Tip: If you have to stay upgrade to Royal Jacuzzi. It doesn't cost much more and it is SOOOOO much be...
3  Thank KellyK1806
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Mangosteen. The room although only a standard room was nice and very different to most resort rooms due to its shape, décor and style with a lovely view, the tv is a little out dated but this did not matter as we did not have the time or the need to use it. All the staff were very nice, happy, freindly and helpful from the moment we arrived to the time we departed. The meals the pool and the pool bar and happy hours were great. We were there for seven nights and our days were filled with many things to see and do just wish we had more time to enjoy the pool and relax, next time we will make sure of it. If you are looking for somewhere to go for relaxation, less people and away from the fast pace we highly recommend the Mangosteen. The only negative comment we do have is that when arriving late at night after travelling for some time could some details be left until the morning although the welcome cocktail and cool towel was very refreshing. Thank you to all the staff from John and Suzanne.

2  Thank Suzanne102013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rawai
The Vijitt Resort Phuket
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
COMO Point Yamu
COMO Point Yamu
#1 of 2 in Pa Khlok

Been to Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa? Share your experiences!