My partner & I stayed for a week at the beginning of August.
We thoroughly enjoyed our week at the resort. We were in room 115 right next to the pool, and had no complaints....the rooms are exactly how I imagined a Thai resort Villa to look.
The pool is beautiful, and I loved swimming around the restaurant each day & admiring the view. The welcome drink on arrival "Roselle Juice" was delicious (Where can I buy this?) We arrived a bit early for check in, but were happy to wait, however another room became available earlier than our intended one, and we were given that, which we were
grateful for. The showers are awesome....I personally loved them, my partner did also.
We pre-purchased the Breakfasts, and once you get used to the ordering system (a bit different to most other resort buffet breakfasts) it was fantastic. Fresh & yummy. A fantastic selection :)
We also pre-purchased the two Buffet theme nights.
While the quality of food was exceptional, we were both very disappointed as so many of the dishes were too spicy to be enjoyed. The Thai night had only one non spicy dish, which was vegetarian. I am unfortunately not a seafood lover, so for me, there wasn't much to choose from, however some people would love this. The spice in some dishes was so hot, we couldn't even taste anything after, something that other guests we chatted with also found. I think a better dessert option with the buffets would be great too....some more sweetness to counteract the spice. Overall, we would not do the buffets again.
The free Candle Light Dinner we received was plentiful & yummy, not as spicy, and we really enjoyed and appreciated it.
We bought our voucher off Buy Invite. It never mentioned anything about having to be involved in the Promotional Sales talk etc. However, because I had read reviews on here, I knew before hand. I would have felt pretty uncomfortable at the resort, as I saw other guests were, had I not known about this beforehand. I also saw many guests confused about purchasing breakfast when at the resort and what it involved. They had to speak to other guests to work out how to do it. This is just food for thought for management.
In terms of the actual sales talk, we met with Ian, it was pleasant, and he seemed to realise it may not be for us as we have a large family. We had the quick tour, brought back to the office, and given prices etc. We never actually declined, but Ian had figured it wasn't for us, and we went off to enjoy our day.
However, for the rest of the stay he completely ignored us. To the point of standing next to me at the breakfast bar a few times and not acknowledging me or even saying a simple Hello. Even when I said Hello. Not even a smile.
This was despite him assuring as at our meeting that he wasn't just here to sell us The Holiday Club, but also to ensure we had a great holiday.
We felt pretty disgusted with his behaviour to be honest & figured that obviously he was only interested in getting a sale from us. We saw the other Sales Reps interacting with all the guests & were able to lots of helpful information from them.
Obviously what Ian didn't realise was that we were still considering the offer, as it is a great deal for families that travel a lot, and we could use it in Australia. After his complete lack of service, we decided not to even bother. While it was nice to enjoy our holiday in peace, it's not hard to smile & say hello.
The reception staff are fantastic, as are the housekeeping staff & restaurant staff.
There are so many "processes" and "requirements" that need to be followed to book anything at resort that it's not as relaxing as I would have liked, and there is certainly a strange vibe around the place because of the Holiday Club, but we certainly still enjoyed our time, it is a beautiful resort with beautiful staff, it is just run in a strange way. I really loved our time at the resort, but did just have some mixed feelings.
We certainly felt like we got absolutely amazing value for our $299, -and while I think our stay was worth much, much more, I don't think I would pay full rates simply because of the odd atmosphere and would look elsewhere to stay next time.
It is a little out of the way, but we loved that.
If you turn right at the boom gates & walk down the bumpy street to the end, then turn left you will see the most AMAZING little restaurant called Kooks. It is owned by a gorgeous Thai lady & her Italian husband. The food is out of this world & the service is exceptional! You must try the Sticky Rice Pudding & ask for a scoop of Coconut Ice Cream on the side. DELISH!
We enjoyed our last meal there and had very limited time. The waitress actually offered to drive us back to the resort to meet our transfer and she refused payment for this! So lovely. We ate there most of the time as it was yummy & great value.
The two ladies at K & J massage are fabulous! And there is everything you need at the 24 Hour Family mart.
If you turn left at the Boomgate there is also a fantastic Raw Cafe at the end.
I hope management reads this review with open mindess and realises it is written with my best intentions. I can see that the resort is a work of art by the owner & you certainly have fantastic staff and amazing facilities, but I am not sure that the way it is being promoted is the best option....maybe let your fabulous resort speak for itself?
I know your responses to reviews on here were talked about a lot between guests & not in a positive way. Please, please keep this in mind, as your resort is really a gem.
Cindy & Chris.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The family owned and managed resort is unique in its style and location. With the owners always around, there is real boutique resort and personal touch to it, a perfect place for honeymooners or simply for romantic people avoiding the crowds. The resort mainly caters for adults, making sure the peaceful atmosphere remains uninterrupted at all times. Mangosteen is the only Resort in Phuket with a permanent, onsite Ayurveda Doctor. He is the architect and mastermind of all treatments, consults and surveys progress of your cure and leads the team to make your spa visits a success. At the Mangosteen Resort, guests can spoil themselves with a luxury holiday, combining this wonderful experience with real health benefits under professional supervision! The restaurant specializes in authentic home-style cooked Thai Cuisine and Mediterranean delights. Everything is freshly prepared, which means it does sometimes take a bit longer. Special requests are always welcome! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Ebookers so you can book your Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip Mangosteen Hotel Rawai
- Mangosteen Hotel Nai Harn
- Mangosteen Resort Nai Harn
- Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa Phuket/Rawai