“Perfect!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 42 Hotels in Rawai
Port Orange, Florida
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

What a wonderful place! My husband and I stayed here on the last leg of our honeymoon in Thailand. Although it was slightly confusing to get to at first, we were picked up in their long tail boat (free of charge) and brought to our own bungalow right on the beach. We stayed here for 5 nights. We were worried about not making it to the mainland enough, but we went over to the big island 4 of the 5 days. We ate several meals here and every one was absolutely fantastic. The chef even let us back in the kitchen with her (we were the only people staying there for 2 days) and taught us how to make authentic Thai food. You can walk on the beach around the island, go on trails up the mountain, or just lay around in the hammock. There's a beautiful pool, the staff is extremely friendly and accommodating, and it was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Blair B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Driffield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

got picked up at Panwa by Bann Mai long boat free of charge. Seven of us went to chill out after my sons wedding and were not disappointed! lovely rooms and totally tranquil tropical island. the manager Mell was extemely helpful,a wonderful womannothing was too much trouble. cannt wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cheryl W
Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

We almost did not go, because of the mixed Tripadvisor reviews. Fortunately we went, because this place is just fantastic, with a location virtually on the beach, great bungalows, wonderful environment and very friendly staff.
Most of the time we were the only guests, and the staff managed the get the service just right, in a balance between being available, but not overdoing their attention.
The place is far from perfect, but doesn't pretend to be.

Btw do try the Thai cooking class. It's free - you only have to pay for the food - but we learned a lot of tricks, from the very helpful chef. And the food she made (with only a bit of help from us) was some of the best we've had in Thailand.

This is one of the best places we've been in Thailand, and so easily accessible. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank peejay_dk
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

This resort was just what we were looking for. A feeling of getting away from it all without actually having to travel that far or rough it!

We stayed at Bann Mai for 4 nights during low/rainy season. We booked a garden bungalow but were upgraded to a sea-view less than 3 meters from the beach. There is not a lot to do on the island which was exactly what we wanted however if you are looking for activities be aware you will have to book tours/go to Phuket.

The restaurant was very good- really tasty, big portions, beautiful views and the kitchen will teach you how to cook it all at no extra cost! Staff were friendly and helpful - provided torch, umbrella, padlock for door and snorkeling equipment free of charge. Airport transfers are an additional cost but very well managed. Garden pool was clean and of a good size. Beach is beautiful and good for swimming at high tide. Rooms were a little small but beds were comfy and there was a fridge, tea/coffee and ample space for belongings. Outdoor bathroom was not the nightmare I had feared - pleasantly surprised.

This was a great place to come and unwind. I would recommend it to couples looking for a place to do as little as possible. It is probably less suited to those wishing to meet other travelers, party or keep busy with activities.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank simbelina
Bawley Point, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

What a wonderfully rustic resort. We were upgraded to Seaview Cottages. There was only a few cottages full while we were there, but that made it all the more peaceful. Our cottage was only a few steps from the water and everynight we sat on our deck watching all the crabs scuttle across the beach at sunset. The food and the service provided were fantastic and I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to get away from it all for a couple of days. There is no jetty at the resort so I would recommend that only people agile enough to jump in and out of longboats which are grounded on the sand try out this place. The outdoor bathrooms were spectacular and we outsmarted the mozzies by bringing our own inroom plugin zapper - highly recommended along with spray on insect repellant. We stayed here for the last three days of our holiday before flying home and it ensured that we arrived home fully relaxed rather than frazzled as often happens after having a busy holiday.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Antwerpen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

We stayed at Baan Mai and found some good and some bad things about it :

Pick up from airport :
- the service was great : we were picked up in a very nice aircon taxi (even though we had a 7hr delay the driver was still there, waiting for us) and brought to the Pier. The longtail was there waiting for us and it was really one of the smootest transfers one can imagine.
(small advice if you go there straight from the airport : make sure to wear shoes that an become wet because you have to walk through the water to get in & out the boat when it's low tide)

The bungalow :
- Upon arrival we were given a welcome drink whilst our luggage was brought to the bungalow.
We booked a garden sea view but i think we got a beach sea view hut, which was nice from them.
- the room/hut itself was very basic, remembered me of some of the backpack places I stayed in when travelling through indonesia when I was much younger.
The 3 biggest issues I had with the hut were :
* light : you could hardly see something inside, it was so dark. When I wanted to choose a tshirt or pair of shorts I had to take my suitcase outside in order to have enough light to see what I was grabbing.
* the bathroom : outside as said before in other posts and I personally did not mind that much that the toilet was next to the shower but what I did mind was that the walls surrounding the bathroom are quite low. I'm not extremely tall (1m75) but I was feeling very uncomfortable whilst showering. Somehow they must have realised it after building because on the walls they put all pots with plants but still it did not help, from one bathroom you look straight into the other one.
* the absence of a lock or key : now that for me is a big point. We travelled with a macbook, 2 iphones and quite some cash since it was the beginning of the holiday. At no point at all I felt comfortable about leaving it in the room when we went for breakfast, lunch or dinner...

The food :
- the first night we decided to eat in the restaurant, jet lag & a long trip behind us : very basic Thai dishes but since I love those I found the taste & choice good. Yes, it's not the cheapest around but you eat practically on the beach so in most places you pay a bit more when you're so close to the sea.
- the breakfast is the kidn of backpack breakfast : white toast with jam, coffee (horrible taste but that goes for most places in asia as far as i'm concerned) and scrambled eggs which were only half cooked; followed by some fresh fruit. The second day I asked for a pancake but something very strange (middle between an omelette & a cake) came out of the kitchen.

- use of the longtail :
now to me that one was realy a disappointment !! on the website they mention they have a boat from 7 am to 11 pm. So i figured we would be able to hang around, then take a boat around 6pm, have dinner in Chalong or equal and come back around 11PM.
The first night we saw a schedule which mentioned the boat was going at 7/9/11etc and coming back at 8/10/12 etc. With last service at 8 PM ! Now, that is really early because then you get to the bungalow at 8.15 and what can you do in that dark place without space and without internet in the room itself ?
Since you're in the middle of the nature sitting on the terrace was not an option because of the insects that are part of being in the middle of the nature.
We ended up eating at the restaurant on the island the second evening as well.
On day Nr 3 we were planning to leave in the morning with the longtail and then come back at the end of the day to spend our last night there.
Turned out the longtail was not going every hour but only on request and you cannot decide at 2 pm that you wanna go at 3 pm...

- insects
an open bathroom is romantic during the daytime but at night i can assure you it's not that charming anymore. Unfortunately for me, during our second night I did not sleap for 1 minute : I heard animals in the bathroom, and i'm not talking gecko's here. I was horrified. At a certain point I really had to go for a pee and when coming back in the room I saw several kind of cockroaches crawling over the floor. They were much bigger than a cockroach but had the same colour although they were a bit more slow. Not one but several...
So that was it for me, I did not want to stay anymore, eventhough I paid for 3 nights.
We got up in the morning, looked for a new hotel on the ultra slooooow internet (so it took us an hour to manage to book something) and then we told them we were leaving.

- the staff : they are friendly but the woman who is at the reception/bar/restaurant is always trying to sell you something àll the time : do you want a massage (yes, and it was good but it was also 600 bht per person !!!!) do you want a tour, do you want to buy mosquito repellent, etc etc.

brenda

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Brenda K
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel in January 2012 for a week. Overall I have the following comments:

Positives:

- Tranquil settings, beautiful surroundings, simple but charming huts. This is an ideal place for those who wish to stay somewhere secluded (but not too far away) from the buzz of Phuket.

- Interesting wildlife on the beach. (But please note that the beach/sea is not enitrely suitable for swimming because of the sharp corals, unless it's high tide.)

Negatives:

- Whilst it may not be an issue to some people, it is worth pointing out that the huts do not have locks on them (no keys, no inside lock either). Whilst I should stress that it feels safe (to me) on the island, some of the huts are actually very close to the village - in fact much closer in distance than to the reception area (the hotel is not in an enclosed compound) and there is nothing to stop anyone from walking in the hotel grounds (no security cameras, no walls separating the hotel from the rest of the island/village houses, does not appear to have night patrolling staff, no room telephone, no room safe). I have in fact seen villagers walk through the hotel grounds. There is also nothing to stop any villagers (or anyone from further afield) easily landing on the far end of the beach and walking straight into the beach front huts at night.

- There is only one longtail boat which transports guests to and from the island and the last boat back from Phuket main island departs from Chalong Pier in Phuket at 8.00pm. The wait for an available boat could be long. What's worse, the boat service isn't actually available every day (despite what I was led to believe when I made the booking). During my week's stay there, there were 2 days when the boat was either not available all day or that the service was disrupted (e.g. on our last day there when we had made a booking to a special seafood restaurant in Phuket main island, we were bluntly told that the last service for the boat back to the island was at 5.30pm. In the end we had to call the owner of the hotel and make a big fuss before they finally arranged transport for us).

- The food in the hotel restaurant is mediocre and also very expensive, when compared to the restaurants in Phuket. For the same price you can get top quality seafood in Chalong Bay (but please note the point above re: limited boat transfers).

- The service levels vary amongst the staff (ranging from very good to poor). The matron who was in charge of the place whilst the owner/manager was away was rather unhelpful and also kept pestering us to go on certain day tours (on the last day she even suggested the amount we should tip her when we were settling the hotel bill). But the owner (Daeng), who was there for half of the time during our stay, was very friendly and extremely helpful and so are some other members of staff.

Some other points to note:

- The beach huts are charming but may not appeal to everyone. They are very simple (I would say international standard 2-star perhaps) and the open-air Balinese style bathroom attracts all sorts of insects (including mosquitoes). The shower is right next to the toilet seat with nothing separating the two.

- What makes this hotel special is its peaceful and unique setting. I think that perhaps this hotel is a bit over-priced for what it offers and that you are paying a premium for its unique tranquil setting. If you are looking for a hotel with all the mod-cons and comforts that you would expect in a 4-star+ hotel, then Baan Mai is probably not for you.

- Finally, despite some of the negative points mentioned, overall I did enjoy my stay at Baan Mai.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 825Traveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rawai
Phu NaNa Boutique Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ko He
Phuket Sea Resort
Phuket Sea Resort
#29 of 42 in Rawai

Been to Baan Mai Cottages? Share your experiences!