“Not the best experience in Phuket”
Review of Phuchada Safari

Phuchada Safari
Vilnius
263 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 182 helpful votes
“Not the best experience in Phuket”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Elephant riding by Phuchada safari was a part of our general Phuket excursion. Again, it was OK as a part of excursion and one opportunity to ride an elephant. I can’t say that during our visit the elephants were treated badly, so this was not an issue. However, the ride itself was – well, so so. Riding elephant is not the same experience as riding a horse – you do not have feeling of or contact with an animal. That’s why this ride was one and only for us. Besides, there are lots of additional payments which finally sum up to quite an amount: tip for mahout, payment for feeding an elephant, payment for a photo which is almost forced on you, if you are with kids, you will be obliged to pay for their playing with a baby elephant, too. I hope only, that at least part of these money really goes for keeping the elephants fed and healthy and pay for their retirement sanctuary (at least so we were told).

Visited January 2014
2 Thank acorna

• Korean first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Horrible experience for both us and the elephants”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Almost walked out before getting on the elephant after watching the keeper in front strike the elephant on the head with a wooden stick to get it to move.

As I entered I wondered why the baby elephant had a wooden stick hanging from its ear. Also how the wooden stick was suspended? The elephants have holes cut in their ears for this purpose and the stick is hooked through it. The keepers use the stick to strike the elephant on the side of the head to get it to move.

Paid for an hour trek and after 20mins we, my girlfriend and I, asked to go back. The only reason we stayed this long was because my girlfriend had been looking forward to seeing the elephants so much.

Go to a sanctuary, other friends did, where the animals are actually cared for and loved. Places like this are only out to make money from tourists and the elephants are only used as a means to an end.

Really sad experience I would not recommend this to anyone that actually cares about animals.

Visited September 2013