“Niche but inconsiderate”

Seapines Villa Liberg
Mexico
“Niche but inconsiderate”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

The lady at the front desk is nice, and pleasant. The place is small but pleasant (bring mosquito repellant). They do put out coils in the common areas also.

Unfortunately, more than a few glitches for my stay.

I asked for a quiet room for our romantic vacation, but instead got a noisy one next to the breakfast room with voices early in the morning waking me up. No apology or acknowledgement when I mentioned it.

There was also sand on my sheet overnight, which made me feel uncomfortable about the bed but fortunately we were changing rooms anyway.

They then charged my credit card without asking, and I had to get it voided as we were paying cash. I only knew after I asked.

I could put up with all that..the lady was very nice as well as the breakfast guy.

On the last day, they accommodated a couple for an earlier breakfast but we had been told that there was none. When we saw the dining couple in the morning, the lady boss said that they just didn't see us the day before to tell us. This is even though we were milling around the morning, returned in plain sight at 1pm and 6pm the day before to our rooms, and passed both bosses!!! There is also the concept of approaching guests or maybe that was too much work for them, or it was just cheaper for them to give us the cheap packaged Thai goods.

So, instead of a proper breakfast which would have made a big difference to a very long full travelling day and night ahead, we got a packed breakfast of odd items like nuts and wafers instead whilst the couple they chose to accommodate dined on the included breakfast leisurely. The wafers tasted like cheap junk and I needed to buy breakfast all over at the airport.

Very unhappy and so inconsiderate of them - so much so that I am writing this review at the airport. At 3000 THB for the peak season, well over double/triple the norm which I thought I would pay based on the good TA reports - you would think they would have thought a bit more - but the whole feeling made it very low value for my taste. I was unhappy about the last experience in particular & to say they couldn't find us made it unhappier when were in the room the entire evening, and around lunch time.

Note that it's not a typically large villa or resort per se, but a small, character B&B and goes under two names. On the plus side, airport is close, it does look like it has character, plus the front desk boss is very nice in person.

Nai yang feels kind of laid back yet during peak it is still busy. There are many restaurants serving salty, oily Thai food..if you absolutely love beaches and the Thailand feel, you might like it but I much prefer Chang Mai. It is much smaller scale than Patong etc and many people like it because it doesn't have the girlie bars. Phuket airport was also very busy over the NY holiday period.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MexicoNatalie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Kiev
Reviewed 6 January 2013

my husband and I stayed here during 3 nights before our monthly journey from island to island. the hotel is just GREAT. its personal is friendly, always smiling and ready to help. i believe we will come back here for a night or two before going to airport.

Room Tip: i would recommend to chose room near to pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I had booked a night here, to relax a bit before moving on to the islands (was in Chiang Mai before). Taxi drivers will know where it is as long as you mention its next to the Indigo Pearl. I had a room with an extra large bed, tv, fan and pool side view - for 2800 baht I thought this was good value. The 2 lady's that work there are fantastic, very hospitable and helpful. For example, they rented out the scooter to me so I could go to NaiThon beach, they gave me a bottle of mosquito spray since I didnt have one, they let me stay by the pool until my check in time etc. I enjoyed the islands but the rough beauty of Nai Yang called me back again and although I had not booked a room, I was fortunate enough to knock on the door and for there to be a room available. It's not that far from the airport to walk (I did it with my backpack in around 30 mins), but if you stay more than 2 nights they will drop you off (providing they have the car). Its a very short walk to the beach, and very quiet at night (which is a good thing). Continental Breakfast is included, which was ok. This place has character and a quiet charm and I would come back with a partner if I am ever there again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank anish p
Swansea
Reviewed 5 December 2012

We stayed here for two nights prior to our return flight from Phuket airport and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We had one of the pool villas, which are spacious enough and comfortable. The grounds are not huge, but nicely planted and decorated with pots etc..The buildings are quite stylish (inside and out). We preferred sitting by the pool to spending time on the busy nearby beach. (Tip: Go to the beach inside the National Park area, which is much nicer.) Breakfast was fine, if somewhat limited in terms of choice. The owners are very friendly and extremely helpful.
Personally, I am not a great fan of Phuket as a destination. However, if you need to fly to/from here you could do a lot worse than staying at this charming guesthouse.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelCriticWales
New York
Reviewed 21 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed here just overnight as we needed a place to crash near Phuket airport before we headed off on a Similan Islands dive trip the next day. It is basically just a bed and breakfast, quite small and barely noticeable from the road when you are driving in, which conveniently only took about five minutes (make sure you haggle with the taxis at the airport though, they will try to charge you 400 baht and it should cost no more than 250). Once you find it and step inside it is quite nice though, with a full pool and pleasant villas. Be aware that the beach is a 100m walk away through either another hotel or a dirt path, and this is by no means a resort, but in the budget option range I found it excellent. Wifi was very fast, free breakfast was good. There are tons of restaurants on the beach for lunch and dinner. Rooms came equipped with mosquito netting, full bathrooms, air conditioning, and an electronic safe. Only downside was its only twin beds so if you want a double you just push them together. They let us hang out around the pool all day after we checked out and were waiting to get picked up.

Overall I couldn't imagine wanting to stay here for very long as the area is quite uninteresting, but a good choice for a budget stopover.

For more details and some pictures, I have a longer post here: http://www.abendinthearrow.com/destinations/phuket-vietnam/seapines-villa-liberg-hotel/

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Ljtobey
London
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We only stayed here for 1 night en route to Railay, but wished we had booked a longer stay. The landlady was just lovely and really helpful with booking taxis and preparing a packed breakfast for our super early check-out. The bed is enormous, the room clean, and the setting is beautiful with a pond that goes all the way around the property, and a salt pool. Couldn't recommend more!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stayed at Villa Liberg, Seapines for two weeks in August 2012. We have visited Phuket many times and walked past this little gem of a place for the last three years. This year we made it behind the wooden entrance! It's great. Villa Liberg (also called Seapines) is peaceful and quiet. Location is superb (short walk to beach and market); rooms are immaculate and the staff are helpful, cheerful and happy. Don't let the thought of being 5 minutes drive away from the airport put you off - that's an added bonus. It's a busy place: families, couples and individuals from all around the globe stop here, some just for a for a night before departing for elsewhere and others, like us for the fully blown rest and recreation that we were after. You get a chance to meet the other guests around the pool and on more than one occasion, other guests commented that they wish they were staying longer. We stayed in two different types of rooms during our stay: a poolside room (which was a little more spacious and had a TV) and a smaller room (no TV). It didn't matter to us - the overall ambience of Villa Liberg is what makes the difference. You can hire a motor bike for a very reasonable price from the office; they can organise trips for you and wi-fi coverage within Villa Liberg is great. There's car hire available from operators just outside Villa Liberg. OK, what are you waiting for? Definitely make a booking with this establishment.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms have a larger bathroom and better aspect (but price is higher). Unless you are despe...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends