“Depends on your levels of taste”
Review of Opus One Phuket - CLOSED

Opus One Phuket
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Like many of the reviews in December 2012 say " when we went before it was better ". Same here. I went shortly after they first opened with friends whom live in Layan area. Having gone this week - first week of Jan 2013 - it just seemed so odd. The best way of describing was as if ' a reasonably well decorated and ambienced restaurant was just sold by the owners to new people / management and they then just left simple instructions on how to serve and act '. It doesn't work and all felt disjointed.

We had wine and tapas. The tapas were fairly well prepared though way off mark compared to what you'll get just an hour away in Singapore .... Though for a pretty similar price ... Doesn't really stack up.

I wouldnt go back and wouldnt recommend. It was good a few years back but has lost its edge and rather than competiting it's gone backwards .... Far more and better choices these days nearby ....

1  Thank Noe666

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Lovely place, elegantly set out, great staff very efficient, enjoyed the atmosphere. Food absolutely excellent. Would recommend this to everyone going to Phuket, favorite place in Surin.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

Visited last year & had fabulous meal. This year - what a disappointment. Offered a tapas menu which we weren't interested in. Given the regular restaurant menu but told only 5 dishes available. Ordered the beef fillet as last year it was spectacular. This year, couldn't even chew the supposed beef fillet (still trying to determine the cut used) & as for the accompanying sides of asparagus & rosemary potatoes - well they weren't even on the plate. After querying the lack of potatoes, they appeared as we were asking for the bill. What the... Whilst we were there, 2 other tables vacated the premises when they saw the menu (or lack thereof). Wish we had done the same. Needless to say, won't be going back. So disappointed.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

While on Phuket we had a special occasion to celebrate, so we went looking for an upscale restaurant for dinner near our hotel in Surin...and we eventually found ourselves at Opus One.

It sits on the third floor of a small shopping plaza, rather unassuming, and just up the road from Surin Beach. From the outside looking up, it didn't look like it would be anything fancy; we were very surprised and pleased to discover such a lovely and elegant restaurant when we got to the top of the stairs! (I believe there is an elevator, though we failed to locate it.) The decor is kind of a subdued sexy (best way I can describe it), with very high ceilings, lots of warm mahogany wood, romantic lighting and a sort of maroon, black and gray color scheme. The music that was playing was lovely, rather cool and sexy in its own right. There are both indoor and outdoor options for seating.

The wait staff could not have been more attentive (which perhaps wasn't too surprising, as there was only one other couple there when we arrived), and they were quick to offer recommendations when we asked their help in deciding on entrees.

The wine list was very nice, and pretty extensive. They have a full (and very impressive-looking) bar, though we did not partake.

The food was fantastic, and they have both Western and Thai options available. The chef sent out a complimentary amuse-bouche -- I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was delicious. We also had a sushi starter, and very nice salads. I had the roast pork belly for my main dish, and my husband had the roast duck breast -- both were excellent. And the hot chocolate lava cake for dessert provided the perfect end note.

The prices were somewhat high, certainly by Phuket standards, but not unreasonable. And you definitely do get what you pay for -- the food, ambiance and service are all excellent.

I would highly recommend, and will definitely go back to Opus One on our next trip.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

This is my second review of Opus One. Unfortunately two of the three things that so greatly impressed me earlier are no longer there.

In my earlier review I commented that it was the synergy of a combination of everything that made for a great evening out. That combination no longer exists which renders the restaurant just one more higher end, somewhat expensive place to eat. And, there are lots of high end restaurants around Phuket island with much better natural environments or some special uniqueness.

The host Benny has left. He had the ability to make everyone feel special. That feeling of being special is gone. They used to have weekly live music which is gone. With out these things the limitations become much more apparent. Opus is in a larger business and retail building on a busy street away from the beach. It does not have beautiful grounds. It does not have beach, ocean or any other natural environment exposure or views.

I hope management can recapture the essence of what once made Opus One a "complete wonderful evening experience" but if they don't make some changes that feeling was just a point in history.

1  Thank not-so-easy-money