“World Class Resort”

Ranked #20 of 95 Hotels in Thalang District
Toronto, ON
“World Class Resort”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Banyan Tree Phuket is the best luxury resort we've stayed in. We stayed here for our 15th anniversary. The service was just amazing. We used the hotel transportation and immediately after we exited the baggage claim hall, we were greeted by Laguna Club staff. The check-in at the resort was really fast. The lobby was clean and aromatic. The staff were friendly and sincere. We were upgraded to a pool villa, which was absolutely fantastic. We also received a bottle of champagne on the night of our anniversary, which was an amazing kick for our celebration. The spa was also gorgeous. We also enjoyed a morning with a baby elephant. He would bow to gesture his appreciation to our bananas and pose when we wanted to take photo with him. Everything was awesome and we would definitely come back again.

2 Thank susansu168

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
dubai
Reviewed 8 June 2012

One of the best hotels we have ever stayed in . The service levells are just amazing , such that after here we continued are vacation always thinking that it is not greta to stay any where else after staying at banyan tree

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Banyan Tree Phuket is the worst luxury resort we've been.

Villa
First of all, I need to give an honor to the photographers of this resort, they did an excellent job, I get totally attracted by the photos on the website, but the reality made us very disappointed. We stayed in the Spa Pool Villa, furniture and decoration is very tired, definitely need a renovation long time ago. Well, I respect to tradition, but it has to be clean at least, however, the cushions, sofa and carpet are full of stain, the floor are sticky, the Jacuzzi is having a lot of big ants inside, I found a live cockroach inside the cabinet.
The pool was very dirty, there are a lot of dead insects floating on the water.

Frogs are everywhere inside the garden, I understand it is a wild environment and I do prepared to see some little things, but there are at least a thousand frogs !!! Every step I moved alerted few of them and they jumped around to escape from the giant, hey I am scared too.

The resort prepared a romantic bath setting for one of the night in the outdoor bath tub with flowers and candles, it was originally a nice touch, but when we try to relax inside the bathtub, I found a big family (over 10) of Snails hanging around the edge of the bath tub! I do not dislike snails at all, but bathing with them together won't be a romantic sense.

The butler system does not exist in this resort, I only saw my "butler" once when we checked in and she never shown up again during our entire stay. Service from the other outlets meet the general Thai standard, but you won't feel very warm.

We did not went to restaurant for breakfast, we had In Villa breakfast every morning, the food is quite nice, but there are many birds and crow around, if the room service people do not clear the table in time, the left over of food will be messed up by the birds.
We had an In Villa BBQ one night, the food is not bad, but the Chef kept pushing us to eat in order to let him finish his work quickly, I asked him several times to slow down and explained we would like to enjoy the food slowly, but he just ignore our request and grill everything altogether and left.
The food in Saffron is OK, not outstanding.

Spa
We had an outdoor massage inside our villa and got over 10 bites by mosquitos in the 60 minutes treatment, even the mosquitos coils had been lighted up. It was so itchy and I can't enjoy the treatment at all.
On the other days, we had several treatments in the Spa with air-conditioned, it was very good and it is the best thing we've in this resort.

Beach
The beach is far away and not attractive at all.

Overall speaking, we are very disappointed by the Banyan Tree Phuket, it used to have great reputation, but we feel it might just be something from the history and does not exist anymore today.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Frequent T
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Frequent T, Thank you for your review.

I understand that your stay with us was in August last year, almost a year ago. I shall try and respond to some of your feedback as best as I can.

Each Spa pool villas, like all our villas, go through a very thorough daily cleaning as well as yearly close down and handyman & maintenance programs. If any pests are spotted, the villa is closed off for an immediate pest treatment by our pest control company. As regards to mosquitoes, frogs and snails; we are a resort set in acres of lush tropical gardens. August being a wet month, we may have a higher number of creatures in the garden. It is for this reason that, particularly in August, our housekeepers check and clean daily the outdoor bath tubs before running the bath for our guests. The pool is cleaned daily to remove debris as well.

The Spa pool villas do not come with a butler. A resort host checks you in and then we are all available for you throughout your stay. Apologies if the chef seemed to be hurrying the cooking of your barbecue. I have taken note of this and I will personally remind our chefs that these events are not normal dinners for our guests but special moment to be savoured at a different pace.

The beach is not more than a 10 minute walk or a 5 minute buggy ride from any part of the resort. August still being a monsoon month is not the best month of the year for the beach especially in comparison to the period from October to April. Unfortunately the weather in Phuket does not always work with us when we try to make our guest stay exceptional. Thank you for your compliments about our spa and cuisine selection. I will make sure to notify the staff in charge. I am sure they will be delighted.

Frequent T, I would be truly happy to contact you directly to continue the conversation and ask you more questions about your stay. Please drop me a line if you wish at Phuket@banyantree.com. I do look forward to hearing from you directly in order to respond accurately.

Thanks
Reviewed 3 June 2012 via mobile

Think Del Boca Vista, Pleasantville, Truman show, amusement park..... Laguna, where this hotel is located, is a manufactured resort area resembling all inclusive resorts in Mexico (but without the all inclusive!!). The facilities are nice but lack the polish that a 5 star facility should have. This is certainly not the place where " everybody knows your name." The facilities and accommodations could use a face lift. It looks tired.

A couple of weird things:

1) when you check in they ask for a print out of your itinerary. At first I couldn't find it and the lady had a very concerned look. Luckily I found it. I wonder what would have happened if I didn't have it?!? What kind of reservation system is that?!?! I have never had to present an itinerary at a 5 star hotel. In fact, they normally know my name before I even say a word.

2) they "block off" an amount on your cc as you check in. They block off the total cost of your stay plus an arbitrary amount for "additional" costs. In fact the lady seemed willing to negotiate this amount... Weird.

3) the restaurants are mediocre at best. They also heavily encourage you to eat at them or their sister properties by offering discounts and by dissuading you from venturing out of the resort area. Don't be fooled. You'll find better food up the street without the hotel premium price $.

They did make an effort... for example they upgraded us to a pool villa, and left us proseco in the room. The breakfast buffet was good and had many options.

Overall I would say that this facility is at about a North American 3.5 star resort. Given that this was our honeymoon, we would have preferred a more refined experience. We do like to travel and eat well. By comparison, Four Seasons at similar pricing, blows this place out of the water. Even during high season, the service is far superior.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheTravelllller
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear TheTravelllller,

Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your recent experience on this platform. Being in a integrated resort with a world class golf course, decorate spa and a plethora of restaurants to choose from has got its advantages. I am sorry to hear that our resort did not give you a personalized hospitality experience. We will certainly work on that.

As pertains to your comment regarding your reservation confirmation. It would not have been a disaster if you did not have your confirmation, we would have let our reservation department know and clarified it or if you booked through a travel agent, we would have let him know. There are several reasons why an itinerary maybe requested; from getting a travel agents voucher for billing purpose (if you have booked through a travel agent), if arrival departure dates differ on our system to what guests are saying etc. We have even had guests show up at the wrong Banyan Tree!! As we don’t know your specific details, I am unable to give you a specific answer but, suffice to say, we are aware of all our arriving guests and prepare in advance for them. I would be happy to look into it if you could write to Phuket@banyantree.com

It is also standard to block off certain amount which varies from hotel to hotel. In our case, what you have stated is correctly. This amount is informed to the guests upfront so there are no unpleasant surprises. However, when guests stay for a longer stay and they are at the end of a long trip and credit might be running low, they might choose to reduce the amount of daily incidental charges (what you have termed as “Arbitary”). This is a standard amount per day as per our standard operating procedures. It is also common not to charge this if guests choose to settle their stay in any other form or card. I am sure our associate informed you of this. I take your feedback regarding the food and shall share it with my chef. Once again, it would help immensely if we could get some specifics.

Dear TheTravelllller, I am glad to note that you enjoyed the upgrade, the Prosecco and the breakfast. I do look forward to hearing from you and learn and improve on the shortfalls you have bought up. Thanks once again for taking the time to critique us as this helps us tremendously.

Warm regards,
Hong Kong
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed at the pool villa and we fell in love with this hotel. The service was superb, we got airport transfer, from the moment we got collected from the airport to the time of check out, staffs were always attentive and helpful.

The villa was lovely, lots of privacy, bed was very comfortable. Housekeeping leave you with different types of Thai fruits everyday. The hotel offer a good selection of food at breakfast and there is an in house baby elephant which comes around in the morning to say hi and he is so sweet!

The only down side was we had to wait awhile before our room was ready for check in. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kchu
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Once again we could spend our holiday at a Banyan Tree Resort. If there is a Banyan Tree at our destination available we book it always, because we can relax there the best way possible. This time we could spend our holiday together with our best friends (we were two couple), that didn't know BT before and they were same overwhelmed about the luxury, service and spa treatments as we are each time we visit BT. Certainly, BT is not a "best-price-hotel" but in our opinion each penny worth! We are looking forward to stay again at a Banyan Tree Resort. Many thanks also to the very obliging employees!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Whenever you plan a trip, you always dream about the perfect holiday. I could´t imagine a more perfect one, than staying in this hotel.

I´ll make it simple: everything was great. Food is awesome, room was amazing (pool villa with private garden and deck), ground are beautiful, SPA is simply the best and they even have their own baby elephant.

Nevertheless there are always some drawbacks.

The mosquitos are just endless. Being in a lagoon, there is no other thing to expect right? If you have mosquitos issues, probable something more beach front would be more convenient for you.

but the real problem in this hotel resides outside from it; The beach was absolutely dirty. Tons of trash and rubbish all over the place... so sad!! :(

Even if they try to get it clean, paper, plastic and bottles kept coming!! it was a shame!

But then again once inside the hotel everything was perfect again. we took the river cruise dinner. It seems expensive but its worth it!!

Tips: There are many beach front restaurants with great thai seafood.

Ask for a room close to the beach, otherwise you will have to wait for the cart to take you or will get there soaked.

Go for at least the pool villa. If its out of your budget, try another hotel, because this one is all about having your private pool. Other wise you´ll find the hotel pool very disappointing and far far from your room and the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the beach, otherwise you will have to wait for the cart to take you or will...
Dear Lucas T,

Thanks for taking the time to write so positively about our hotel facilities and our associates and “Lucky” the baby elephant that is part of the laguna family. Thanks also for your understanding of the mosquito in a tropical lagoon setting. We do have frequent “cold fogging” to reduce this and we have been successful in doing so.

With reference to the beach, you are right that there is a lot of debris that gets deposited this is mainly due to the seasonality. During the rainy season, many trees and branches as well as other inorganic rubbish gets deposited by the ocean waves. Apart from regular cleaning exercise my associates and I have a weekly “Clean-the-beach” team building/clean-up campaign. You are correct in that the beaches don’t look pristine.

However Lucas T, we are glad that despite this you enjoyed your stay. We do look forward to having you back with us.

Warm regards,