This hotel is comprised of multiple worlds. We tried desperately to get into the double pool villas, but were told that they were sold out, so had to settle for the basic pool villas. We needed 3 to accomodate our group, and at least we were all grouped together in the same enclave. The space in the room is adequate, but the design and overall ergonomics of these rooms is in dire need of an overhaul. The rooms are very much showing their age. During our stay, the a/c technicians were by virtually every day, as in 2 of the 3 rooms the unit either blew hot or cold, with no regulation of the temperature possible. The televisions were replaced in all of the units with HD screens after we complained that the image on the original screens was exceptionally poor. The door operated lights in the cupboards were not working properly as the wooden doors were warped from the humidity and therefore the lights would not turn off....I had to pull out the lightbulb to fix this one...The a/c units were loud, and did present an issue in terms of getting a decent night's sleep. The lighting in the pool area was poor, and it was impossible to sit comfortably after night fall.
The beach area was lovely. The hotel does provide a beach service (towels, loungers....) and it is possible to order from the hotel menu, but frankly it's much cheaper to buy whatever drinks and food you need from anyone of the number of kiosks that dot the beach. We're speaking about a factor of 4 times cheaper. The food at INK and at Som was particularly good. The restaurants at the hotel were ok - TRE was particularly good and the setting was very lovely indeed. The Japanese restaurant is a good idea, but it is set up around the spa pool and really offers no real ambiance. The lighting is bright and the food is average. Breakfast service can be a bit chaotic, but the food is of good quality. There are numerous good restaurants in the area....we ate at "Silk" which was outstanding, to name one.
The gym facility was lacking. It's basically one room packed with various machines and weights, and there is no privacy relative to the outside, and indeed it feels like an afterthought to the spa. Spa treatments were nice, but I must say that the reception was a bit cold, bordering on the robotic -- again, the Spa facility is quite open to the outside world and there are constantly people walking through the area....I think a spa should be a place that you walk into where the external world disappears,and this is not the case here.
Finally, the Banyan Tree is a great, family friendly hotel. There were many families spanning generations spending the holidays together, and this gave the place a nice buzz. The staff are absolutely lovely -- lots of smiles all around, and a real desire to please clients.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banyan Tree Phuket, Banyan Tree Spa Sanctuary and DoublePool Villas by Banyan Tree each deliver a unique experience in a tranquil setting. Located at Bang Tao Bay on the northwest coast of Phuket Island in Thailand, a 20-minute drive from Phuket International Airport. Banyan Tree Phuket Resorts is part of Laguna Phuket, Asia's first integrated resort, and is also the first Banyan Tree resort to be conceptualised and built, setting the benchmark for future properties. This flagship resort offers 173 luxuriously appointed villas surrounded by lush tropical gardens and Asian watercourts. All villas feature a king-sized bed, bathtub and private pool in a landscaped garden. Complimentary minibar except alcoholic drinks with daily refill for all villa categories. The perfect haven to spend time with loved ones, Banyan Tree Phuket Resorts caters for romance, with its private pool villa, fragrant gardens and saltwater lagoons. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Travelbag, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Banyan Tree Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banyan Tree Phuket Hotel Thalang
- Banyan Tree Phuket Cherngtalay
- Banyan Tree Phuket Thailand