“Inconsistent delivery”

Ranked #19 of 95 Hotels in Thalang District
Paris, France
“Inconsistent delivery”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

This hotel is comprised of multiple worlds. We tried desperately to get into the double pool villas, but were told that they were sold out, so had to settle for the basic pool villas. We needed 3 to accomodate our group, and at least we were all grouped together in the same enclave. The space in the room is adequate, but the design and overall ergonomics of these rooms is in dire need of an overhaul. The rooms are very much showing their age. During our stay, the a/c technicians were by virtually every day, as in 2 of the 3 rooms the unit either blew hot or cold, with no regulation of the temperature possible. The televisions were replaced in all of the units with HD screens after we complained that the image on the original screens was exceptionally poor. The door operated lights in the cupboards were not working properly as the wooden doors were warped from the humidity and therefore the lights would not turn off....I had to pull out the lightbulb to fix this one...The a/c units were loud, and did present an issue in terms of getting a decent night's sleep. The lighting in the pool area was poor, and it was impossible to sit comfortably after night fall.
The beach area was lovely. The hotel does provide a beach service (towels, loungers....) and it is possible to order from the hotel menu, but frankly it's much cheaper to buy whatever drinks and food you need from anyone of the number of kiosks that dot the beach. We're speaking about a factor of 4 times cheaper. The food at INK and at Som was particularly good. The restaurants at the hotel were ok - TRE was particularly good and the setting was very lovely indeed. The Japanese restaurant is a good idea, but it is set up around the spa pool and really offers no real ambiance. The lighting is bright and the food is average. Breakfast service can be a bit chaotic, but the food is of good quality. There are numerous good restaurants in the area....we ate at "Silk" which was outstanding, to name one.
The gym facility was lacking. It's basically one room packed with various machines and weights, and there is no privacy relative to the outside, and indeed it feels like an afterthought to the spa. Spa treatments were nice, but I must say that the reception was a bit cold, bordering on the robotic -- again, the Spa facility is quite open to the outside world and there are constantly people walking through the area....I think a spa should be a place that you walk into where the external world disappears,and this is not the case here.
Finally, the Banyan Tree is a great, family friendly hotel. There were many families spanning generations spending the holidays together, and this gave the place a nice buzz. The staff are absolutely lovely -- lots of smiles all around, and a real desire to please clients.

Room Tip: get a double pool villa as the basic pool villas are completely out of date and are in need of upgra...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 3 February 2013
Dear Voyageur a’ Paris,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our hotel. After reading it I perceive that you feel our design and physical condition to be inconsistent rather than our service. I want to start off by saying that during the time of the year when you have stayed with us, it is near impossible to get the DoublePool villas as they are an extremely popular type and get booked very early. I can only recommend that you afford us more time given that you have rates us highly overall. Just want to clarify that all our villas do have HD TVs but, we are trialing an entertainment system called IBahn which is to provide high quality image and channel content. This might have malfunctioned and made the image grainy. As regards to the physical shortfalls vis-à-vis the air-con and the cupboard, I apologize.

With regards to our F&B, I am glad that you thought Tre and Watercourt were good. Yes, I would agree that beach restaurants are cheaper options as would be in any city or location but, the selection and sophistication vary. The Japanese cuisine being served in Tamarind has been a very popular decision. The intent was never to convert this into a Japanese outlet but, rather to provide top quality Japanese cuisine prepared by our master chef. Perhaps this could have been explained in advance and point noted.

As regards to the design of our Spa area, I just want to clarify that yes, the reception is a quite but, open area for meet, greet and farewell but, once you enter the treatment villas, it is very private and you are alone with your therapist and/or partner.

Dear Voyageur a Paris, I am glad that you found my associates to be great and the resort to be family friendly as we do work hard on these. I also take your feedback seriously and shall work with my team to ensure these are addressed during our yearly Villa Maintenance Program. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again and wish you and your family all the best in 2013!

Sriram Kailasam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Travelled with my wife and 1year old baby. We have previously stayed in Ungasan Bali Banyan Tree in 2010, and had been so impressed, had not thought twice when booking banyan tree again for the phuket trip.

Accommodation ( 2 parts) part 1
We stayed for 2 weeks. The first week we stayed in a standard 2 room pool villa. Very Very dissappointing, the furniture, decor, and equipment is old and tired. Mostly from the 1990s. At this end of the market flat screens Tvs and MP3 docks are the minimum standard, and instead we were provided with CD/cassette players and big old tube TV. This particularly bugged me as i hoped to watch films and sports whilst i on holiday, however they bad been connect by Composite connectors, giving an awful grainy and 1980s image to anything you watched.
The garden was very poorly lit, and the hottub in darkened corner. Without adequate lighting we were unable to enjoy the use of the garden ,sala, or hot tub after 6.-7 pm in the evening when the sunset. The deck-chairs were also old and dirty with various stains and marks on the padding. The hot tub was als quite dirty , clearly not having been adequately cleaned.
All these issues i must admit are not enough to ruin a holiday, however i am sure they will niggle and annoy most people who pay these types of prices, and have experienced other similar high-end resorts. What truly annoyed us was when we viewed a DELUXE 2 bed villa. These were totally different in terms of design, decor and style, and the type of thing we had seen at Bali. (No surprise these were being charged at a higher rate).
After being annoyed for 1 week we decided to upgrade to a Doublepool Villa,
WOW. These were stunning, infinity pool / hot-tub looking over a lagoon,but still with secluded views.a large garden, and absolutely amazing bathroom with shower/steam room. Ipod docks with intergrated speakers, meant you can hear your music everywhere in the villa FANTASTIC.
We only regretted not upgrading after our first night!

Food /Restauarants
We found both room service and the restaurant food to be of good quality and reasonable pricing. Particular highlights are the streetmarket night, and also Have to admit the breakfasts were not impressive. Due to the size of the resort, the buffet breakfast becomes quite busy, and we witnessed quite a few times guests being asked to wait as there were not seat. Not what you expect at a 5star resort.

Family friendly
One thing we cannot fault whatsoever is the family friendyl nature of the resort, all the staff always helped with the baby, and were happy to provide any special requests for her food etc. We also used the childminder service a couple of evenings, who turned out to be the girls form housekeeping.

Service:
The staff and service are impeccable. We spoke to the GM about our issues with the 1st villa, and he sat down and took the time to speak with us in a very genuine and sincere way. He explained and agreed that some of the villas did require refurb ,but apparently such decisions are made above his head and thus beyond his control. he also ensured we were happy with doublepool villa with the manager for this area checking our every need was attended to.
We cant complain about the staff or the management there. They might not get it right first time, but they sure do try to fix things.

Overall Summary:
Definitely check which villa you are booking , to ensure there areno surprises, and if possible then upgrade to double pool villa.

Room Tip: DELUXE 2 room villa, or if you can afford it ,stay in the Doublepool villas
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Rosh23
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Dear Rosh23,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our hotel. We take note of your feedback on the need to improve the conditions of our villas. To ensure this we do have a rigorous annual maintenance program where villas are shut down for close 3 weeks to completely refurbish furniture, flooring, ceiling etc. We shall continue to spend more time on bringing this up to expectations and maintain them there. As for the replacement of dated electronic appliances, this is being done in a phased manner. I can also confirm that we do not have any tube TV’s anymore and they have all been replaced by flat screens. Pertaining to television image and signal; we have recently installed the I-Bahn system– a digitized HD system, which provides better reception. Your feedback regarding the outdoor furniture and Jacuzzi has been forwarded to our housekeeping and engineering teams. Although regular cleaning takes place and a thorough inspection prior to guest arrival, being in a wooded area with birds, there is a tendency for the outdoors to get dirty. Your point is taken and we will pay more attention to it. I do have to mention here that the Banyan Tree Phuket is not of the same generation as the Banyan Tree Ungasan and that is a definite advantage as the maturity provides for acres of lush green tropical gardens.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our Doublepool villa and the Food & Beverage selection including the Thai Street Market. As a resort, most guests do tend to wake up late and have a late breakfast. However, we also extend seating in the adjacent Lobby bar area which reduces the stress unless the resort is 100% occupied, which is rare. Another way we mitigate this challenge is by providing extended breakfast hours up to 1130 hrs. Not many resorts do this as it causes them to lose out on lunch revenue but, we feel it is part of being on a holiday. I shall keep an eye on this issue with our Director F&B.

Thank you for extending compliments to our resort hosts for their people-friendly skill. Dear Rosh23, I truly appreciate your feedback on your stay at Banyan Tree Phuket. We will continue to work hard and strive to meet every guest expectation. As you have said in your review, although these are small issues they are annoying. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you that we can do better,

Chepstow
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I have been coming to the Banyan Tree Phuket for over 10 years and can honestly say it is a truly magical place for a relaxing holiday.
From the warm welcome at the lobby to the waves goodbye when you leave, the staff at this resort are the epitome of Thai culture – Friendly, thoughtful, courteous, generous of spirit, hard working and wonderful hosts.
I stayed in a two room pool villa, it was perfectly appointed, the pool was clean, the Sala gave so welcome shade outside, the bedrooms are spacious attractive and very comfortable. The cleaning staff were efficient, discreet and very polite – nothing is too much trouble.
The restaurants are very good, especially the food at the new Japanese eatery (please keep it), Saffron and Tre are really very good.
The bar is a great place for a cocktail – Pinky is a real “star” the Oriental Martini is an experience!!
Sriram Kailasam and his team demonstrate and combine superb hospitality and great professionalism and I believe deserve great credit in the way the Banyan Tree delivers consistently the highest standards expected at a 5* resort – I have been to a few that don’t….
Taking a “buggie” to and from the Villa is always a pleasure, the lobby staff are a joy, Snit and Wallop in particular.
Breakfast is sensational – If you cannot find anything to like or even love, then there is something seriously wrong with you. There is just about everything from juices, smoothies, fruits and cereals, Sushi, Noodles, rice dishes, Fish dishes , Various meats (cold and hot) numerous cakes and pastries, waffles, eggs in every shape and form, Dim Sum, soups, the list goes on and on. There cannot be anything better than a leisurely breakfast on the terrace watching children playing and feeding the young Elephant who comes to visit every morning – Delightful.
The gym is not very extensive, but it does have enough equipment for a decent workout and the Spa must be about as good as it gets.

Room Tip: Double Pool Villas are the best, but all villa types are great
2 Thank Martyn28
Singapore
Reviewed 29 December 2012

My wife and I had stayed at the Banyan tree five years back. This time we decided to take the kids but were not sure if it was really suited for families. We were pleasantly surprised. The staff welcomed us back remembering we were past visitors and the double bedroom pool villa was a home away from home. The villas come with bicycles so we had to cycle everywhere as a family, breakfast , beach and tennis in the evenings. Its was fun to say the least and the kids just kept cycling on. The Villas did not disappoint and we upgraded to a double pool two room villa on the last day. It was well worth it and truly a holiday for the family.
Our mornings at the beach ended with lunch at Tonys which was recommended on a previous review. Food was excellent and great value.

The service standard was great and we will definitely return

2 Thank Peter R
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Please do not get me wrong, this is not a bad hotel. But for the price paid, top luxury was expected. This is supposed to be the flagship banyan tree where all teh spa staff , for instance, is trained for allt he banyan trees in other countries. The staff seemed to be therefore far too proud and pretentious about their importance and cared less about the service and more about the correct procedure and the rules.

The food was good but definitely prices of top hotels in big cities in the world.

The first room we got had a problem with the airconditioning, but was fixed within 2 hours.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
Dear M R,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our hotel and spa. I am sorry to hear that we could not meet your expectations. While mechanical failures like air-con not working is not acceptable, it is a fact of life. We do consistently maintain our villas to high standards of maintenance. In spite of this sometimes, these things do occur. I am glad that we could rectify the slip quickly, although this may not have been quite good enough.

As for the staff being less than welcoming, is a feedback that we never normally receive. I can honestly vouch that the entire team is very down-to-earth and willing to listen and correct. More often than not it is perhaps the manner in which communication takes place that might give you that perception. I can only assume that, English not being the first language, you got this impression.

I am glad that you liked our cuisine and your comments regarding pricing is well noted. Once again, I would like to reassure you that most hotels of our caliber do charge these prices and we are not out of line.

Dear M R,
Thank you once again for taking your time to share with us your feedback. There are certainly areas we can look into and improve. I do hope that you will not allow this one visit to mar your perception of Banyan Tree Phuket and that you will give us another opportunity to show you that we can do better.

Moscow
Reviewed 27 December 2012 via mobile

Old property , which needed renovation long time ago . Highly overpriced.
Food is poor, except the breakfast. So called French restaurant is overpriced and poor.
Both me and my wife had a stomach problems after a dinner. Mediterranean buffet dinner was awful.
Looks like the owners try to exploit the old fame of the hotel as much as possible with no investment.
Do not recommend for those who knows how a very good hotel looks like.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank leokh
Dear Leokh,

Thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor. We take note of your feedback on the need to renovate; as a matter of fact, we do have a rigorous annual maintenance program where the villas are shut down for a complete maintenance. Admittedly, this is not a renovation. I accept that it did not meet your high expectations.

Pertaining to your feedback on the quality of our cuisine, I always believe that breakfast in any hotel is a fair reflection of the quality of cuisine in the hotel. I shall share your feedback regarding the cuisine at Tre – our French Vietnamese restaurant, with my Executive chef. While I realize that taste in cuisine is subjective, I can assure you that the food safety and hygiene of this hotel is unquestionable. We have a dedicated hygiene executive and the F&B team and Banyan Tree as a group has a stringent “Food Safety Management System” policy to ensure the food and beverages served meet hygiene standards. Without knowing all the details of the meals consumed I do not wish to speculate as to what could have caused your discomfort however, if you had reported this during your stay here, we would have conducted a thorough investigation and get to the bottom of it. In terms of pricing, yes, we are not cheaper than outlets on the beach or free standing outlets in Phuket but, in line with hotels of our standard.

Dear Leokh, your feedback is important to us and I accept it as an opportunity to improve. Please accept my sincere apologies for falling short of a typical Banyan Tree experience. While I can understand from your feedback that you would not wish to return, however, I do hope that you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves.

Lincolnshire
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I have just come back to the UK after staying at the Banyan Tree for 1 week for our Honeymoon. I had very high expectations of the Banyan Tree after previously working within the travel industry but I have to say I was slightly disappointed when we check in that we haven't been given a room upgrade? The week previous to our stay our friends who had flown out for our wedding in Thailand stayed at the Banyan Tree for 5 nights and had been given a FREE room updgrade automatically? I do understand room upgrades are subject to availability but the hotel wasn't even remotely full.
Upon arriving in our room we did have receive a fruit platter & bottle of fizz to open...Our Villa 617 was a little dated inside but very well equipped. We couldnt use the hot tub in the garden after 5pm due to being eaten alive by mosquitoes.
Breakfast was Amazing!!! I can honestly say they have ticked every box here they have everything you could possible think of & the service was 1st class.
We didn't eat in the restuarant's in the evening as we enjoyed eating out along the beach & surrounding area...Food & drink prices in the hotel are high!! Champagne £22.50 a GLASS.
During the day we spent the morning by the pool...which is looking dated compared to the recently refurbshed nearby hotel The Angsana & afternoon on the beach which is beautiful.
Checking Out - We did have an issue as our flight wasn't until midnight, the hotel offered for us to keep our room on FOC until 4pm but we needed to keep it on until at least 6pm the hotel wanted £200 for these two hours which werent happy to pay so checked out at 3pm and moved to another hotel in the laguna for a fraction of the price & managed to keep until our taxi picked us up at 8pm.
Staff - All the staff we came into contact where extremely helpful, the security guard from the hotel to the beach was brilliant...the hotel has some real gems working for them!
Personally I wouldn't go back to the Banyan Tree its been a hotel I can tick off my to do list.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Princesspage12
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Dear Princesspage12,

Thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor. Please allow me to address some of the concerns you have raised. As you yourself have so correctly pointed out, upgrades and late checkouts are subject to the hotel’s arrival and departure status. As regards to your friends getting an upgrade, it could be possible that they booked through one of our preferred partners such as American Express which has such an upgrade privilege, again subject to availability. Without wishing to speculate, I want to mention that there are several other reasons why an upgrade could be afforded such as the villa type they have booked being overbooked or are returning guests etc. Typically, we would not hesitate to allow a late checkout a few hours beyond the 1200 checkout time we have done in your case but, as is standard in any hotel, it is chargeable after 1700 hours.

With regards to your feedback on champagne prices, wish to mention that wines and champagnes attract a surcharge of 400% in Thailand. After your feedback, I asked my Director F&B to do a quick survey to check prices of champagne by the glass with other hotels of our standard. I am glad to report that our prices are in line or lower than some of these hotels. However, I can understand your dismay but, it is a fact of life in Thailand that particularly good or popular wines are expensive due to prohibitive taxes. We do take care to ensure our wine lists contains a mixture of low, medium and expensive bottles.

We take note of your comment regarding updating the condition of the pool and villas. We do have a rigorous villa maintenance program, sort of an annual health checkup for our villas, where it is shut down for total makeover including furniture flooring, lighting, pool, garden and villa refurbishment. As we know the villa number, we shall look into it.

Princesspage12, I appreciate your kind words on our associates. Your compliments reinforce our efforts to create a wonderful experience for our guests. I sincerely thank you for your time and feedback. Although you have mentioned that you do not wish to return to stay with us, I do hope in due course of time, you will give us another chance. Failing this, I wish you safe travels and the very best in 2013,

Warm Regards,
COMO Point Yamu
#1 of 1 in Pa Khlok
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas

Been to Banyan Tree Phuket? Share your experiences!